Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 pm I'd drive to work with doors off on nice days for sure. Regularly? Nah. It really is just a fun novelty.

I'm wanting a 2-door 2.0T Rubicon more and more. Bikini, LEDs, Cold weather, proximity entry, Dark saddle leather, towing, hardtop, done. I think that would be a ton of fun.
That's right around 50k though :disgust:

I can totally see driving like that a few times, but it would get old pretty quickly. There is a serious lack of privacy also...
MSRP OTD yea, it's ~$47k MSRP before taxes. With my pricing, it would be a ~$42k.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:47 pm I'd drive to work with doors off on nice days for sure. Regularly? Nah. It really is just a fun novelty.

I'm wanting a 2-door 2.0T Rubicon more and more. Bikini, LEDs, Cold weather, proximity entry, Dark saddle leather, towing, hardtop, done. I think that would be a ton of fun.

I can totally see driving like that a few times, but it would get old pretty quickly. There is a serious lack of privacy also...
Privacy? What are you doing?

I've been driving Jeeps without doors since I was 15. It's somewhat in my blood. I also don't keep anything of value in my vehicles having had Jeeps most of my life.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:53 pm

I've been driving Jeeps without doors since I was 15. It's somewhat in my blood. I also don't keep anything of value in my vehicles having had Jeeps most of my life.
Listening to music?
Talking on the phone?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:51 pm

:jimp: :doit:

Treat yo'self!

Also, I want doors off for beach-cruising. 80+ degrees, doors and top off, cruising around the beach. Yeah, I'm down for that.
It's getting more and more tempting, I"m just super wishy washy with this vehicle choice. I really want this one to be that last one for a while. I'm so over :plac: shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Listening to music?
Talking on the phone?
Listening to music with the doors off isn't much different than with the windows down IMO...sound will get out regardless.

Talking on the phone isn't possible with the doors/top off, but just like above, same as with the windows down.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:52 pm

MSRP OTD yea, it's ~$47k MSRP before taxes. With my pricing, it would be a ~$42k.
Don't forget tax... it brings you almost back to the MSRP.

Here is my take, a Jeep especially after yesterday, is a fking toy. Especially a rubi... I am :notsure: if all that off road crap is even needed for most of the things... to me the value prop is in the base models with heavy discounts... You can get a Sport S nearly 1/2 the cost of the rubi... and frankly it will do everything you ask it to do.. Yes all those other things are nice haves, but at it's core the jeep is just not a luxury vehicle, and throwing shit like leather into it... makes it a very confusing proposition.

I would build a 2 door sport s with the manual + maybe the proximity entry piece... ~35k msrp tops. 6k on the hood out here already... seems like the way to go to me. A SWB jeep has way more off road potential than a LWB rubi either way, unless you start lifting shit.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote:I'd drive to work with doors off on nice days for sure. Regularly? Nah. It really is just a fun novelty.

:doit:Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Here is my take, a Jeep especially after yesterday, is a fking toy. Especially a rubi... I am :notsure: if all that off road crap is even needed for most of the things... to me the value prop is in the base models with heavy discounts... You can get a Sport S nearly 1/2 the cost of the rubi... and frankly it will do everything you ask it to do.. Yes all those other things are nice haves, but at it's core the jeep is just not a luxury vehicle, and throwing shit like leather into it... makes it a very confusing proposition.

I would build a 2 door sport s with the manual + maybe the proximity entry piece... ~35k msrp tops. 6k on the hood out here already... seems like the way to go to me. A SWB jeep has way more off road potential than a LWB rubi either way, unless you start lifting shit.
Yea, true...for a 2-door, a Sport S is probably ample because the short wheelbase will get it anywhere. Sport S also keeps you from the 8.4" screen, leather, and proximity entry, which is :rage: but also keeps the price pretty reasonable. I'd probably go for the 2.0T and auto because we've done some internal drag rac...eerrrr testing and found the 2.0T to be superior to the 3.6, especially in the 2-door. It's really fun.

So I pretty much want what my dad ordered. I think I'm going to hold out to do anything until he gets his and I can spend some time with it. Hopefully the two week estimate from the :dillerman: proves true.
ChrisoftheNorth

On the flip, a Rubicon has a lot of the optional Sport S stuff standard, so if you go light with the options, could pick up a Rubicon for "only" a few $K more than the Sport with similar equipment, but get the damned proximity entry and might be easier to sell later on.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:05 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Yea, true...for a 2-door, a Sport S is probably ample because the short wheelbase will get it anywhere. Sport S also keeps you from the 8.4" screen, leather, and proximity entry, which is :rage: but also keeps the price pretty reasonable. I'd probably go for the 2.0T and auto because we've done some internal drag rac...eerrrr testing and found the 2.0T to be superior to the 3.6, especially in the 2-door. It's really fun.

So I pretty much want what my dad ordered. I think I'm going to hold out to do anything until he gets his and I can spend some time with it. Hopefully the two week estimate from the :dillerman: proves true.
Keep me posted plz. I am curious in your take... I was all :fuckyeah: loaded rubi crew... but after yesterdays... 52k msrp one... I am a bit :notsure: especially once you start removing shit out of it... like what's the "point" of safety tech if there is no roof or doors, why do you need blindspot monitoring when you have no blinds sports... lulz...

I would actually even say SPORT is the way to go... 32k MSRP with AC. But I have never seen that interior... so I don't know... i also can't stand manual door locks. Now that shit is :disgust: for sure... so sport S it is...

Everything else can be retrofitted.... if even needed.
The Unlimiteds just feel too big and heavy for some reason... the 2 doors are quite more "pure". I think think of it a Jeep a DD is just :wrong: you need to treat it as what it is.....toys... get a fun 2 door bare bones jeep + a C5 and that's way more fun than 1 JLUR.

The manual in a 2 door would add a lot of fun to what is otherwise a really ... um... terrible driving vehicle. At least you stay engaged rowing gears, the trans is actually quite nice. Yes the 8 speed is a great trans... but you're in a TOY, a boring one unless you "play" with it... and playing with it requires shifting IMO.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I say fuck the whole sport s depreciates less type stuff. Get exactly what you want and don't compromise. If you do every so often you'll wish you didn't, but if you're driving the perfect vehicle you'll probably never think about the money, or you just won't care. No RAGERTS get that 2 door Rubi build you detailed up there. It's not like if you spend the extra $15-20k over your ownership of the vehicle will mean you have to work until you're 70.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:08 pm On the flip, a Rubicon has a lot of the optional Sport S stuff standard, so if you go light with the options, could pick up a Rubicon for "only" a few $K more than the Sport with similar equipment, but get the damned proximity entry and might be easier to sell later on.
Right off the bat you're 8k higher... but a "bare bones" rubi, if one can find one... would be fun too. 3.6+ :manuel: would be quite fun IMO. But options just keep creeping quite a way up... 2020 makes it simpler... as you get LEDs standard, car play is nice with the rubi as well the base model doesn't have it.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:12 pm I say fuck the whole sport s depreciates less type stuff. Get exactly what you want and don't compromise. If you do every so often you'll wish you didn't, but if you're driving the perfect vehicle you'll probably never think about the money, or you just won't care. No RAGERTS get that 2 door Rubi build you detailed up there. It's not like if you spend the extra $15-20k over your ownership of the vehicle will mean you have to work until you're 70.
It's not about depreciation... its about spending on something you may not need. I think you're sort of missing the point.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Keep me posted plz. I am curious in your take... I was all :fuckyeah: loaded rubi crew... but after yesterdays... 52k msrp one... I am a bit :notsure: especially once you start removing shit out of it... like what's the "point" of safety tech if there is no roof or doors, why do you need blindspot monitoring when you have no blinds sports... lulz...

I would actually even say SPORT is the way to go... 32k MSRP with AC. But I have never seen that interior... so I don't know... i also can't stand manual door locks. Now that shit is :disgust: for sure... so sport S it is...

The Unlimiteds just feel too big and heavy for some reason... the 2 doors are quite more "pure". I think think of it a Jeep a DD is just :wrong: you need to treat it as what it is.....toys... get a fun 2 door bare bones jeep + a C5 and that's way more fun than 1 JLUR.

The manual in a 2 door would add a lot of fun to what is otherwise a really ... um... terrible driving vehicle. At least you stay engaged rowing gears, the trans is actually quite nice. Yes the 8 speed is a great trans... but you're in a TOY, a boring one unless you "play" with it... and playing with it requires shifting IMO.
All very good points.

My biggest hesitation with the 2-door is at some point wishing I had more space if we take it glamping or whatever. It's really just a toy like you said, and I'm concerned I may want more eventually. I like the 4-door well enough, I think it's the right mix of everything, but no doubt a 2-door would be more fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:12 pm I say fuck the whole sport s depreciates less type stuff. Get exactly what you want and don't compromise. If you do every so often you'll wish you didn't, but if you're driving the perfect vehicle you'll probably never think about the money, or you just won't care. No RAGERTS get that 2 door Rubi build you detailed up there. It's not like if you spend the extra $15-20k over your ownership of the vehicle will mean you have to work until you're 70.
It's not about depreciation... its about spending on something you may not need. I think you're sort of missing the point.
Well, I'd use the lockers in the Rubicon...but a Sport would probably also make it where I want with some skill. I actually will wheel whatever I get, so it's a consideration for me.

There's a Bikini Rubicon 2-door :manuel: at a local :dillerman: nearly perfectly optioned other than missing proximity entry. I should just go drive it for :science:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:15 pm

All very good points.

My biggest hesitation with the 2-door is at some point wishing I had more space if we take it glamping or whatever. It's really just a toy like you said, and I'm concerned I may want more eventually. I like the 4-door well enough, I think it's the right mix of everything, but no doubt a 2-door would be more fun.
Space is a legit issue if you have more than 2 people... I think that's the real concern. My buddy is bitching because he has some weird ass lock box due to running topless, and it creates some sort off odd pickup bed tanneau cover over the "small" trunk so he keeps talking about a JT to get more "Space" in his use case that actually may make some more sense... :wtf: But overall I'd say if you needed space for glamping pop the back seats out... it is plenty of room for 2... but I also no way in hell would tow with one. This vehicle IMO is unsafe for towing. It barely stops/handles itself... attaching 2000-4000lbs to the back would be absolutely scary.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Well, I'd use the lockers in the Rubicon...but a Sport would probably also make it where I want with some skill. I actually will wheel whatever I get, so it's a consideration for me.

There's a Bikini Rubicon 2-door :manuel: at a local :dillerman: nearly perfectly optioned other than missing proximity entry. I should just go drive it for :science:
Do it and report back, I am no :manuel: fan boy here, especially considering how I feel about the JK manuals... but I honestly think a 2 door manual is great fun.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

But you also keep saying the Jeep is a "toy" and aren't toys really about the wants more than the needs? Sure lots of people might not use alot of the Rubi's potential but damn if it doesn't look really cool every time you walk away from it at the store or back to it after work, and for alot of people that's worth the price. I use like 10% of my :poorvette: capability but it's what I wanted so I bought it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:19 pm
All very good points.

Space is a legit issue if you have more than 2 people... I think that's the real concern. My buddy is bitching because he has some weird ass lock box due to running topless, and it creates some sort off odd pickup bed tanneau cover over the "small" trunk so he keeps talking about a JT to get more "Space" in his use case that actually may make some more sense... :wtf: But overall I'd say if you needed space for glamping pop the back seats out... it is plenty of room for 2... but I also no way in hell would tow with one. This vehicle IMO is unsafe for towing. It barely stops/handles itself... attaching 2000-4000lbs to the back would be absolutely scary.
Trailer has trailer brakes, I'd add a brake controller and it would probably be fine in that department...but the handling is concerning with the short wheelbase. Trailer is ~3k lbs with all the gear/full water and propane tanks, etc.

Also, I can't imagine being so dedicated to going topless that I'd buy lockbox shit and sacrifice storage space and whatnot. That just makes no sense to me.

A Sport S Gladiator would be pretty great as well., but isn't eligible for employee pricing so it's out for the foreseeable future. Still want one :doe:

I just can't fucking make up my mind.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Do it and report back, I am no :manuel: fan boy here, especially considering how I feel about the JK manuals... but I honestly think a 2 door manual is great fun.
Yea, I dunno if I feel like dealing with yet another :dillerman: Would be good for :science: tho.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:27 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Yea, I dunno if I feel like dealing with yet another :dillerman: Would be good for :science: tho.
Well you’re looking to drop 30-50k I would say that requires some :science:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

All very good points.

I love how the 2-door looks, but utility of the 4-door can’t be beat. Even when Michelle and I went camping, just the two of us plus the dogs in the back, we used more space than would have been available in a 2-door.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:22 pm

But you also keep saying the Jeep is a "toy" and aren't toys really about the wants more than the needs? Sure lots of people might not use alot of the Rubi's potential but damn if it doesn't look really cool every time you walk away from it at the store or back to it after work, and for alot of people that's worth the price. I use like 10% of my :poorvette: capability but it's what I wanted so I bought it.
I’m telling the man to explore the other offerings and check out a manual, as a manual sport may be more “fun” than a loaded rubi. Decision is up to him
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:42 pm
All very good points.

I love how the 2-door looks, but utility of the 4-door can’t be beat. Even when Michelle and I went camping, just the two of us plus the dogs in the back, we used more space than would have been available in a 2-door.
Yep. I recall this from my JK days. The 4-door really is a great size for interior space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:43 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:22 pm

I’m telling the man to explore the other offerings and check out a manual, as a manual sport may be more “fun” than a loaded rubi. Decision is up to him
Gotcha