Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:13 pm

It is just the point of it.
Yea porsche pricing on a jeep... What a time to be alive.

you act like new P cars are sub $50k. Breh they start in the 60s for a boxster... then rapidly depreciate that very second you open the door to it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:25 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Fuck it... I went looking for you...

Bike inside 2 door
:micdrop:

2 bikes inside...

:micdrop: :micdrop:
Right.... seat out it'll fit. Which is what I said :gaydance:
Seat in is no bueno. But doggie doesn't need a seat I guess. IDK. The 4 door makes the Jeep far more practical.
Yes, I would go for a 4 door... but for you...
1. More weight... +300lbs for a 4 door makes it more sluggish
2. You don't need the back two doors period, you're shopping coupes as is.
3. Turning circle is far inferior (shit for city)
4. +20" see above

I think for the occasional bike tow it would make sense to either flip seat/take it out.

Better yet... maybe swing by (giggidy) carmax with your bike and see if it fits in the back.

Telling ya, jeep is where it is at when it comes to an :aintcare: vehicle
1. Reliable
2. cheap to fix
3. cheap to own
4. City parking? :whorecares: the bumpers are basically free on it since everyone throws on metal bumpers and throws out the old
5. readily available dealer network
6. you can make it your own... by fixing any short coming outside of handling, stereo/lights/brakes whatever
7. It is a convertible... the top off experience is just epic...

Maybe I had too much :koolaid: while in siberea :( but just sharing what i think would be best.

You can actually special order a 2 door JL in any color/config you'd like and get 5k off sticker... That's the way I'd roll.

~33-34k which will be pretty much net 0 with the scoobaru.
34.7k MSRP on a 2 door, limited slip, HT, +AC,+fancy tires+Auto+trailer tow... ~30k selling price ~33kOTD
You can go :fullretard: on a sport S and add 5" Uconnect+sub+heated seats ~40k ~37k OTD but at that point i'd go rubicon because that's around 45k with the uprated stereo+ 8.4" uconnect

So whatever your budget is... you can get a great :jeep:

*I have not been paid by FCA to make that post :disgust:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Oh wow that :koolaid: :jeep: ad :amazing:

I liked the 2 door JK. It's a :notbad: idea overall.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:36 pm Image
:dat:

DO NOT break down.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

So, :tits: wants to trade the Volt in on a another ZR2...because my ZR2 doesn't have a heated steering wheel (can't make this shit up :rolleyes: ). I told her flat-out "no", but then realized that she doesn't work for my company and could drive anything.

I asked her if she'd consider a JL, and she got all excited. We both loved our JK, so a JL would be :notbad:

Then I looked at prices...

What in the actual fuck? A ZR2 (that comes pretty much loaded) MSRP is about what a well-equipped Sport S MSRP is.

$2k for the auto trans? :wat:
Hard top another $2k? :wat:

That's $4k worth of crap that's standard on pretty much all new vehicles these days.

I know it's been discussed in here, but the JL is straight up :waxer: mobile now. Pretty astonished, really. I have no idea how FCA is going to sell the volume it needs to after the luster has worn off in year 2 or 3. :fullretard:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm So, :tits: wants to trade the Volt in on a another ZR2...because my ZR2 doesn't have a heated steering wheel (can't make this shit up :rolleyes: ). I told her flat-out "no", but then realized that she doesn't work for my company and could drive anything.

I asked her if she'd consider a JL, and she got all excited. We both loved our JK, so a JL would be :notbad:

What in the actual fuck? A ZR2 (that comes pretty much loaded) MSRP is about what a well-equipped Sport S MSRP is.

That's $4k worth of crap that's standard on pretty much all new vehicles these days.

I know it's been discussed in here, but the JL is straight up :waxer: mobile now. Pretty astonished, really. I have no idea how FCA is going to sell the volume it needs to after the luster has worn off in year 2 or 3. :fullretard:
When does orange come out for the ZR2? Orange + Blurple = :jimp:

With Camdalf in the garage, that's a mighty fine stable.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm So, :tits: wants to trade the Volt in on a another ZR2...because my ZR2 doesn't have a heated steering wheel (can't make this shit up :rolleyes: ). I told her flat-out "no", but then realized that she doesn't work for my company and could drive anything.

Orange starts production in July. Heated steering wheel standard then too.
:triggered:

I told her we're going to wait until October or so to decide. Orange ends production in December, so it'll have to be this year. I'm thinking that maybe we buy the Orange one and I work the mods over to it from Blurple. Give Blurple back when the lease is up in Sep '19 and she decides she wants something else. I'll ride the Orange ZR2 forevs no problem.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

They have come up over the JK, but they are much more advanced Jeep.

Where you getting a ZR2 with a heated steering wheel? I thought that was only on the Sierra? I also read about guys talking about retrofitting it into the Colorado...
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm $2k for the auto trans? :wat:
Seems normal for a vehicle with both Manual and Auto options. Pretty sure the auto in the Corvette and Camaro are an up-charge over the manual.
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm Hard top another $2k? :wat:
Nah. Hard Top is a $1095 option. Soft top is standard. Dual tops is $2000.
There are also other top options including a "premium soft top", but if you want that you are probably better getting the "free" soft top and buying an aftermarket. I didn't want the soft top and only got the hard top which includes the Freedom panels.
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm That's $4k worth of crap that's standard on pretty much all new vehicles these days.

It's a Jeep thing. ;) They will sell, especially when all the new JK's are gone from the lots this summer. Plus, you can pretty easily get the deal I got of 5% under invoice or 11-13% off MSRP from many dealers right now if you just ask. Many seem to be doing that deal on dealer lot inventory too now.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:41 pm
Apex wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm

I told her we're going to wait until October or so to decide. Orange ends production in December, so it'll have to be this year. I'm thinking that maybe we buy the Orange one and I work the mods over to it from Blurple. Give Blurple back when the lease is up in Sep '19 and she decides she wants something else. I'll ride the Orange ZR2 forevs no problem.
5/7 plan! :like:

Also, do you know of any wheelin' places in the middle of PA? Somewhere between Meat Chicken and Jersey?
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm

They have come up over the JK, but they are much more advanced Jeep.

Where you getting a ZR2 with a heated steering wheel? I thought that was only on the Sierra? I also read about guys talking about retrofitting it into the Colorado...
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm $2k for the auto trans? :wat:
Seems normal for a vehicle with both Manual and Auto options. Pretty sure the auto in the Corvette and Camaro are an up-charge over the manual.
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm Hard top another $2k? :wat:
Nah. Hard Top is a $1095 option. Soft top is standard. Dual tops is $2000.
There are also other top options including a "premium soft top", but if you want that you are probably better getting the "free" soft top and buying an aftermarket. I didn't want the soft top and only got the hard top which includes the Freedom panels.
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm That's $4k worth of crap that's standard on pretty much all new vehicles these days.

It's a Jeep thing. ;) They will sell, especially when all the new JK's are gone from the lots this summer. Plus, you can pretty easily get the deal I got of 5% under invoice or 11-13% off MSRP from many dealers right now if you just ask. Many seem to be doing that deal on dealer lot inventory too now.
Heated steering wheel comes to Colorado for MY19. Standard on ZR2 and Z71, optional on LT.

Interesting on the top options. They burred the hard top by itself in the configurator.

I know that autos are usually an up-charge, but is it really $2k? Seems excessive when the base price of the vehicle is so high.

I looked at local inventory, and pretty much all dealers just have trucks with max options. Almost all Rubicons are north of $50k, while sports are routinely in the mid-$40k. Even at 10% off, that's still what I could get a ZR2 for at MSRP. Factoring in my discount, it gets crazier.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:41 pm

5/7 plan! :like:

Also, do you know of any wheelin' places in the middle of PA? Somewhere between Meat Chicken and Jersey?
[user not found] and I have talked about it. He claims there's some areas, but I've never really looked into it. I've never explored PA, would be 5/7.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 pm
Heated steering wheel comes to Colorado for MY19. Standard on ZR2 and Z71, optional on LT.

Interesting on the top options. They burred the hard top by itself in the configurator.

I know that autos are usually an up-charge, but is it really $2k? Seems excessive when the base price of the vehicle is so high.

I looked at local inventory, and pretty much all dealers just have trucks with max options. Almost all Rubicons are north of $50k, while sports are routinely in the mid-$40k. Even at 10% off, that's still what I could get a ZR2 for at MSRP. Factoring in my discount, it gets crazier.
Well, the C7 automatic is $1,725, and we know the profit margin on those cars.

Like I said in my thread, the ZR2 is nice, but it sure isn't a JL. The JL is better in every way, except not having a truck bed. I get kinda bummed for a few minutes when I get back in the ZR2 after driving the JL.

I've been thinking hard about the Mallett blower for the ZR2, but to be honest, with the JL truck coming I can see myself dumping the ZR2 inside 24 months and getting the JT just for the quality of the interior. Will really just depend on how I use the ZR2 until then and if I like the JT looks in person.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Like I said in my thread, the ZR2 is nice, but it sure isn't a JL. The JL is better in every way, except not having a truck bed. I get kinda bummed for a few minutes when I get back in the ZR2 after driving the JL.

I've been thinking hard about the Mallett blower for the ZR2, but to be honest, with the JL truck coming I can see myself dumping the ZR2 inside 24 months and getting the JT just for the quality of the interior. Will really just depend on how I use the ZR2 until then and if I like the JT looks in person.
Pretty :impressive: So the JL is worth the price premium it sounds like.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This heated steering wheel thing has escalated out of control. Are electric gloves not an option?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Are you new to this thread? :lol: We've been talking about this for ages. Equally equipped JL (sahara) is around 51k (Rubicon 53k). Don't forget power windows for $2k and AC for $1500.
Last edited by max225 on Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 pm

I think so.

My wife, who is the ultimate :scrooge: for cars is very happy to have the JL over the JK and she was actually very :hellno: to the idea of the swap until I made her drive one and spend a bit of time in it before ours came in. Now she's all :koolaid: about it and happy to spend the money.... which almost never happens.

She is the polar opposite of me and hates spending money. She would much rather buy another house, or just invest than buy anything else. The only thing she buys for herself is clothes and shoes.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:08 pm

This heated steering wheel thing has escalated out of control. Are electric gloves not an option?

Tell her I have a bunch of these that I got for when we go to the snow and they work great in pockets:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ABA0IBK/re ... 5856924941
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Tell her I have a bunch of these that I got for when we go to the snow and they work great in pockets:

Pushing a button is easier than remembering to grab some hand warmers. Nor do I think you want those taped to the steering wheel.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm
I think so.

My wife, who is the ultimate :scrooge: for cars is very happy to have the JL over the JK and she was actually very :hellno: to the idea of the swap until I made her drive one and spend a bit of time in it before ours came in. Now she's all :koolaid: about it and happy to spend the money.... which almost never happens.

She is the polar opposite of me and hates spending money. She would much rather buy another house, or just invest than buy anything else. The only thing she buys for herself is clothes and shoes.
Maybe I should consider one for her then...I'd love to have both, personally. Having two of the same vehicle seems :fullretard: to me.
ChrisoftheNorth

Guise. There's no reasoning. It's a stupid :tits: thing. It makes zero sense and never will.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Pushing a button is easier than remembering to grab some hand warmers. Nor do I think you want those taped to the steering wheel.
This is her argument, actually.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm just saying... buying a truck like one you have to just get a heated steering wheel is kinda crazy. Especially since you already have the ZR2..... There are other vehicles out there that probably would be better that have heated steering wheels, like a JL. ;)
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Guise. There's no reasoning. It's a stupid :tits: thing. It makes zero sense and never will.
Understood..... way too familiar with this scenario, just not with cars.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:19 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm

I think so.

Maybe I should consider one for her then...I'd love to have both, personally. Having two of the same vehicle seems :fullretard: to me.
:doit: