Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:07 pm

You're one of very few people who prefers the pre-refresh new Cherokee.
It used to have a style, I also like things that have a style even if it's a bit weird - i.e. 2016 Prius. Weird > bland.
I actually agree with this.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 am Why don't they put a real engine in the Renegade / Compass? And go back to the 6AT instead of that tragic 9AT?
I haven’t had any of the big issues so far in wifey’s Renegade. It’s basically geared like a 6AT with 3 overdrives. My only gripe with the trans is that it’s slow to kick down a gear or two when cruising at 60-85mph to get up and pass someone, and when it does it’s loud and coarse sounding.

The car is 0-60 in 10 seconds kind of slow, but it’s a perfect city machine - short, boxy, tiny turning radius and pretty easy to see out of - and an acceptable highway cruiser at just over the speed limit kind of speeds.

It’s got awful fuel economy, though... but most of the highway driving with it has been hauling bikes on the rack hanging off the tow hitch...combined with a 12.4 gallon tank it’d require frequent fills.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:28 pm

The Cherokee has eveything you’d like ... including 4 engine choices. I liked the one I drove I don’t buy this 9 speed bs. It’s totally fine. And it is a really decent size
Aside from the transmission that still gets universal hate ( :member: one of the main reasons I hated the Tiguan was that piece of absolute shit transmission), I just don't like the post-refresh Cherokee all that much. It went from looking like some reptile that would devour a trail to an anonymous CUV wearing a plastic diaper. The design got fat, visually.

I dunno. :whocares: right but I don't want to drive something that I don't like the look of. At least not for $30 grand of :troywax: Wrangler JLU isn't that much larger honestly, it's only 6" moar. Just an average :dong: longer.
I think you're going to end up hating having an auto and :plac: for a :manuel: after a few years of tire kicking/auto hate. :popcorn: .
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 am Why don't they put a real engine in the Renegade / Compass? And go back to the 6AT instead of that tragic 9AT?
I haven’t had any of the big issues so far in wifey’s Renegade. It’s basically geared like a 6AT with 3 overdrives. My only gripe with the trans is that it’s slow to kick down a gear or two when cruising at 60-85mph to get up and pass someone, and when it does it’s loud and coarse sounding.

The car is 0-60 in 10 seconds kind of slow, but it’s a perfect city machine - short, boxy, tiny turning radius and pretty easy to see out of - and an acceptable highway cruiser at just over the speed limit kind of speeds.

It’s got awful fuel economy, though... but most of the highway driving with it has been hauling bikes on the rack hanging off the tow hitch...combined with a 12.4 gallon tank it’d require frequent fills.
I remember when I had a chrysler 200 as a rental, it didn’t rush higher gears compared to the loaner jetta and tiguan i’ve driven. I remember it only shifted to 8th and 9th gear at 70 cruising on the highway
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm

FCA nailed the looks and interior on it. Engine leaves a bit to be desired. Good to hear the 9AT behaves better now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:13 pm https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... ec-edition

No :jeep: is a bad :jeep: apparently.

Looks badass with steelies.
:iono: I'd drive that.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:13 pm https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... ec-edition

I don't care for the mall spec tires and fleet F150 style stamped shit's-gonna-rust wheels... but Jeep parts are plentiful and cheap on forums. Rock rails from a Rubi are like $100-150, ramz with tires from a Rubi $1k, etc. Easy as hell to build it to what you want.

I'd prefer automatic, hard top, apple car play radio, upgraded speakers, and power windows. Probably don't need anything other than that. LED lighting, headliner, window tint, etc can all be easily handled with the aftermarket. Dunno on the 4x4 and axle systems, seems the all terrain tires force the anti-spin rear differential on the build configurator. I bet it's fine with open diffs and the brake-based traction control system. :iono: I ain't crawling rocks.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:42 pm

I don't care for the mall spec tires and fleet F150 style stamped shit's-gonna-rust wheels... but Jeep parts are plentiful and cheap on forums. Rock rails from a Rubi are like $100-150, ramz with tires from a Rubi $1k, etc. Easy as hell to build it to what you want.

I'd prefer automatic, hard top, apple car play radio, upgraded speakers, and power windows. Probably don't need anything other than that. LED lighting, headliner, window tint, etc can all be easily handled with the aftermarket. Dunno on the 4x4 and axle systems, seems the all terrain tires force the anti-spin rear differential on the build configurator. I bet it's fine with open diffs and the brake-based traction control system. :iono: I ain't crawling rocks.
Vortex is blocked here :( but yea the base model is fine. It’ll do anything most of us will throw at it with room to spare
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Vortex is blocked here :( but yea the base model is fine. It’ll do anything most of us will throw at it with room to spare
Rooking at it more. Anti-spin differential upgrades you to a Dana 44 from a Dana 35. More numbers is better amirite? Apparently stronger axles, and that alone is what makes it worthwhile? Plenty of reviews out there saying the brake-lock fakediff is nearly as good as lockers anymore. I dunno :whocares:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:46 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:43 pm
Rooking at it more. Anti-spin differential upgrades you to a Dana 44 from a Dana 35. More numbers is better amirite? Apparently stronger axles, and that alone is what makes it worthwhile? Plenty of reviews out there saying the brake-lock fakediff is nearly as good as lockers anymore. I dunno :whocares:
Fakediff is good for what it is; will not replace lockers doe.
Apex

Where mah trails at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P

Another track bar weld victim.
Apex

Ordered up the front shackle mounts for the WK tonight.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Oh wow, they actually put decent sized tires on the poverty spec Jeep. Looks legit now. 5/7 would buy a stripped down base model for top-off fun.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

That’s :notbad: , toying with this idea as well for my next ride. You can LEGO it up with leds, + wheels from a Rubi if you really wanted to. The rest doesn’t really matter...

You’d think the jks would get a bit cheaper with the jl being better in every way, but the prices are fairly steady. Higher option levels are coming down though
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Truck Yeah
The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Moab Is the First JL Special Edition, but It’s Not Quite Rock Crawler-Spec -- https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-jeep-wran ... 1828680647
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:56 am

That’s :notbad: , toying with this idea as well for my next ride. You can LEGO it up with leds, + wheels from a Rubi if you really wanted to. The rest doesn’t really matter...

You’d think the jks would get a bit cheaper with the jl being better in every way, but the prices are fairly steady. Higher option levels are coming down though
I'm sure there's people out there bitching about how it lost is soul or whatever :bs: enthusiasts always claim when a new gen comes out. JK values ain't going nowhere.

I would prefer to buy a JL, personally :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm sure there's people out there bitching about how it lost is soul or whatever :bs: enthusiasts always claim when a new gen comes out. JK values ain't going nowhere.

The amazing part is... ppl bitch about "windshield rake". Like :wtf: ... it looks nearly the same.

Also something about the doors being concave a bit. The OCD shit always dies down with owner #2 doe.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 pm

The amazing part is... ppl bitch about "windshield rake". Like :wtf: ... it looks nearly the same.

Also something about the doors being concave a bit. The OCD shit always dies down with owner #2 doe.
My only complaint that I can really justify is the fan noise. If the A/C is on, that motherfucker sounds like a 747 getting ready to take off from a short runway.

I know why they did it, and their excuse is valid... but I wish there was a way to override it, or only have it do that when you're in 4H or 4L.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 pm

My only complaint that I can really justify is the fan noise. If the A/C is on, that motherfucker sounds like a 747 getting ready to take off from a short runway.

I know why they did it, and their excuse is valid... but I wish there was a way to override it, or only have it do that when you're in 4H or 4L.
Yea I saw that in a few vids... Fker is loud.... so what was their reason for it? Radiator/grille smaller or something?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Yea I saw that in a few vids... Fker is loud.... so what was their reason for it? Radiator/grille smaller or something?
The head of engineering addressed it and said it was intentional to make sure that it never overheats on a trail in extreme conditions. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they could have had some extra conditional checks on this, but whatever... Yeah, it's loud outside the JL... when my wife pulls up with the A/C on more than fan speed 3 I hear it inside the house when she stops in the driveway.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 pm

The head of engineering addressed it and said it was intentional to make sure that it never overheats on a trail in extreme conditions. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they could have had some extra conditional checks on this, but whatever... Yeah, it's loud outside the JL... when my wife pulls up with the A/C on more than fan speed 3 I hear it inside the house when she stops in the driveway.
I saw a video where said head dodged (pun not intended) the question and said about it conforming to design specs. But yea... Not sure how driving it to the mall requires a fan at full blast.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Just loud outside the vehicle? Or is it annoying inside as well?
Johnny_P

I too would opt for the JL if you've got the cash to do it. They keep inching up in price, you're not going to lose your ass on it. Total ownership cost won't be worlds larger than the JK, but you get all the updates that come with the new model.
Johnny_P

Y'all think it's worth it to :troywax: to a Rubicon this go-around or nah? On the JK it seemed it helped to boost resale which basically negated the cost hike from a Sport.