Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 am Le sigh.. I get home last night, and someone is in my parking spot, forcing me to take the one available spot between them and a chain link fence. Pulling into the spot (music was on and windows were up) and all the sudden I see the fence shake and one of the posts wiggle... Didn't think I was nearly that close to it. Hopped out to check the damage, and god damn these plastic bumpers are soft. Completely dented in one of the platic end caps on my front bumper. I must have hit it just right in some weak spot, cause I was going pretty slow since I was parking, and I didn't feel the contact at all.

So now.. do I snag the take off Willy's bumper that I found on a forum up in Culver City for $150 (maybe try to get it for $100-120 since dude said it's been chilling in his garage for a bit and he wants it gone).. or do I accept the fact that I was probably going to put metal bumpers/fenders on anyways, and just use that $150 towards that now and pick out a metal bumper I like?

Spend $150ish now, and possibly $500-600 later, or just pony up the $500-600 now?
Dat camry bump :(. I suppose might as well go get the bumper you want. But i'd likely stick to OEM vs BRO.
Any reason not to go BRO aftermarket on a cool looking one?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Dat camry bump :(. I suppose might as well go get the bumper you want. But i'd likely stick to OEM vs BRO.
Depends, suppose just my personal preference. I prefer oem look vs giant excavator bumpers, but there are alternatives in between
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am

Depends, suppose just my personal preference. I prefer oem look vs giant excavator bumpers, but there are alternatives in between
RIght on.. Yeah I don't like anything too crazy, but some of the aftermarket stuff looks really good/cool IMO.

But this might be the way to go for now.. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f770/free- ... 19825.html

Stubby OEM bumper plus a light bar for free. about 100 miles north of me, could easily pick it up on a weekend.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 am Le sigh.. I get home last night, and someone is in my parking spot, forcing me to take the one available spot between them and a chain link fence. Pulling into the spot (music was on and windows were up) and all the sudden I see the fence shake and one of the posts wiggle... Didn't think I was nearly that close to it. Hopped out to check the damage, and god damn these plastic bumpers are soft. Completely dented in one of the platic end caps on my front bumper. I must have hit it just right in some weak spot, cause I was going pretty slow since I was parking, and I didn't feel the contact at all.

So now.. do I snag the take off Willy's bumper that I found on a forum up in Culver City for $150 (maybe try to get it for $100-120 since dude said it's been chilling in his garage for a bit and he wants it gone).. or do I accept the fact that I was probably going to put metal bumpers/fenders on anyways, and just use that $150 towards that now and pick out a metal bumper I like?

Spend $150ish now, and possibly $500-600 later, or just pony up the $500-600 now?
Can you pop the corner back out? Many Jeeps I see in the city have these sort of camry dents in the plastic bumper corners.

I'd go BRO on the bumper, personally.

Also, sounds like you need a savesie in your spot. Throw a cone in that bitch when you leave.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Can you pop the corner back out? Many Jeeps I see in the city have these sort of camry dents in the plastic bumper corners.

Also, sounds like you need a savesie in your spot. Throw a cone in that bitch when you leave.
I thought I might be able to pop it back out, and I may still, but I need to dig around back there a bit more. The plastic end piece that is dented might pop off the rest of the bumper and then I can reach in there and try to pop it out.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am
Yep, I'd metal bumpers as well. I wonder if you could find take-off JK metal bumpers from a bro that upgraded to aftermarket for cheap?
I thought that too, and that's probably the ideal way to go if I can find some Rubicon/Hardrock take off bumpers. Saw a few on the forums last night doing a quick search, but they were all east coast. I'll try to find a Cali/Arizona bro with them.
I think it's the right compromise, but I also really don't like the way 99% of aftermarket bumpers look.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:02 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 am

RIght on.. Yeah I don't like anything too crazy, but some of the aftermarket stuff looks really good/cool IMO.

But this might be the way to go for now.. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f770/free- ... 19825.html

Stubby OEM bumper plus a light bar for free. about 100 miles north of me, could easily pick it up on a weekend.
Still plastic :doe:

I wouldn't drive 100 miles for a plastic bumper.
SAWCE

This is the Metal Cloak one I was looking at.

ChrisoftheNorth

The other thing to keep in mind, and you may not care, is how an aftermarket bumper will impact the airbag sensors. OEM bumpers accommodate for that, while a lot of the aftermarket probably doesn't. I know AEV does, but that's :waxer:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Still plastic :doe:

I wouldn't drive 100 miles for a plastic bumper.
Planning on being up in Venice in a few weekends anyways doe, so it'd be a minor detour off the 5..
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm The other thing to keep in mind, and you may not care, is how an aftermarket bumper will impact the airbag sensors. OEM bumpers accommodate for that, while a lot of the aftermarket probably doesn't. I know AEV does, but that's :waxer:
Meaning that even a small bump could trigger the airbags since an aftermarket bumper won't flex/crush like an OEM one is designed to?
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm The other thing to keep in mind, and you may not care, is how an aftermarket bumper will impact the airbag sensors. OEM bumpers accommodate for that, while a lot of the aftermarket probably doesn't. I know AEV does, but that's :waxer:
Meaning that even a small bump could trigger the airbags since an aftermarket bumper won't flex/crush like an OEM one is designed to?
The opposite. It'll probably take more impact for the airbags to go off. Which could be dangerous, IMO.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:17 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:16 pm

The opposite. It'll probably take more impact for the airbags to go off. Which could be dangerous, IMO.
:word: Definitely something to consider.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

I thought I might be able to pop it back out, and I may still, but I need to dig around back there a bit more. The plastic end piece that is dented might pop off the rest of the bumper and then I can reach in there and try to pop it out.
That could work. Or add heat to it. Do you have a beard dryer you could use?
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 pm

That could work. Or add heat to it. Do you have a beard dryer you could use?
I don't.. I'll just pop it in the oven for a few minutes :lol:
SAWCE

Hmmm.. digging the look of tubular bumpers..

Cheapo version:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybi ... b48ft.html

Step up, looks like it comes with a skid plate:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-r ... 15611.html

Same thing, but future-proof with a winch mount:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-r ... 56111.html

Or, OEM version:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/mopar-tu ... -0717.html
ChrisoftheNorth

Smittybilt/Rugged Ridge/etc make some pretty meh stuff. Quality is questionable, I had some smittybilt stuff rust in SoCal...which was :mindblown: :impressive:

You get what you pay for IMO.

That Mopar bumper is hideous, breh.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm Smittybilt/Rugged Ridge/etc make some pretty meh stuff. Quality is questionable, I had some smittybilt stuff rust in SoCal...which was :mindblown: :impressive:

:dat: all of the above... I don't know about them TUBEZZ breh... i mean this isn't a peterbuilt from 1985

Really like the OEM metal bumpers, they are the best looking ones IMO, minus that Brocessories brodazzling all over this one.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm Smittybilt/Rugged Ridge/etc make some pretty meh stuff. Quality is questionable, I had some smittybilt stuff rust in SoCal...which was :mindblown: :impressive:

Ah, I'd heard Smittybilt was decent quality.. maybe I'll stick with that metalcloak one.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:31 pm

:dat: all of the above... I don't know about them TUBEZZ breh... i mean this isn't a peterbuilt from 1985

Really like the OEM metal bumpers, they are the best looking ones IMO, minus that Brocessories brodazzling all over this one.
That is 5/7 the best IMO too. Or the AEV one:

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You'll have to pardon my lack of accessory knowledge, but what does the tubular bar attached to the top of the bumper supposed to do?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Ah, I'd heard Smittybilt was decent quality.. maybe I'll stick with that metalcloak one.
Depends on what you buy. Smittybilt winches are pretty decent these days, same with the rest of their recovery gear.

But their metal stuff leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. I wouldn't cheap out on a bumper.
SAWCE

Rockauto has that for about $1000, everywhere else it's priced around $1300.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 pm

You'll have to pardon my lack of accessory knowledge, but what does the tubular bar attached to the top of the bumper supposed to do?
Look cool.

No, but really it's intended to push brush/branches out of the way. It's "frontal protection" which only kind of works in this case.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 pm

That's what the Female holds on to as you Ram her from the back after impressing her with your RIG at the local mall bro. OBVIOUSLY.