Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yes we need one...

So my lease is up in 4/2018 and I think I'll probably finally get a wranGAYler then...
the issue is... The new gen can't be here early enough and #firstmodelyear :disgust:
2018 Wrangler JL:
September 1, 2017: 2018 Wrangler JL Sales and Press Launch
October/November 2017: 2018 Wrangler JL Order Banks Open
November 13, 2017: 2018 Wrangler JL Production Begins

2019 Wrangler JT Pickup:
Fall 2018: 2019 Wrangler Pickup JT Production Begins

Features / Specifications

New Features (for North America):
New ZF 8 Speed Transmission
2.0L "Hurricane" Turbo Engine (with new 850RE transmission) (visual confirmation)
3.0L VM Diesel Engine (with new 8HP75 transmission)

3.6L Pentastar V6 Upgraded Engine (with new 850RE transmission)
New fourth-generation Uconnect 8.4" navigation system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto
Interchangeable soft / hard top
Power softtop
True 3-piece hardtop
Optional hardtop glass panel

2017-18 Wrangler (Toledo) Assembly Plants Schedule

Current: TSP (Toledo Supplier Park - Toledo South)
Building 2017 JK Wranglers until 9/30/2017
Will build 2018 JK Wranglers starting 10/02/2017 until 3/30/2018
Will shut down starting 3/31/2018 for an estimated 3-4 months or longer to retool for the 2019 JT Pickup
Future: TNAP (Toledo North Assembly Plant)
Currently building 2017 Jeep Cherokee KL until 4/07/2017
Plant will shut down from 4/08/2017 until November 2017 to prepare for Wrangler JL production
All-New Wrangler JL will launch 11/13/2017
max225

The FCA boss also showed his enthusiasm for the new Wrangler telling the media, “It’s a perfect car. It fixes all the problems of the old car and it keeps the identity of the Wrangler.”
So I wonder if they bumped the MPG and the abysmal range. The 8 speed auto would certainly help in that department.

:rage: dat first model year doe... :rage: especially a first model year FCA product
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Lol, I looked at the car thread and then the the truck thread when I posted about Jeeps yesterday and thought it doesn't really belong in either thread.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
SixSpeeder

maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:36 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:34 pm

:wat:

Locker is like a $1500 option on select trims, the LSD is cheap doe and available on all trims I think?
Well I meant rear LSD. Not sure why anyone would need anything more than that + 4WD. The jeep will get you anywhere. Anywhere outside of that you'd be better off with a dedicated 4 wheeler.
SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Locker is like a $1500 option on select trims, the LSD is cheap doe and available on all trims I think?

Now I'm confused, so the Trak-Lok that's available on a lot of trims doesn't really lock (mechanically, no gay brake nonsense)? Rubi comes with Tru-lok lockers, which I'm assuming truly lock.

A standard LSD is no substitute for a locker Max offroad in slippery situations (muddy trails in the PNW).
Last edited by SixSpeeder on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SixSpeeder

Well I meant rear LSD. Not sure why anyone would need anything more than that + 4WD. The jeep will get you anywhere. Anywhere outside of that you'd be better off with a dedicated 4 wheeler.

Now I'm confused, so the Trac-Lok that's available on a lot of trims doesn't really lock (mechanically, no gay brake nonsense)? Rubi comes with Tru-lok lockers, which I'm assuming truly lock.

A standard LSD is no substitute for a locker Max offroad in slippery situations (muddy trails in the PNW).
Last edited by SixSpeeder on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tru-Lok is true, Trak-Lok is false.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SixSpeeder

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:57 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Now I'm confused, so the Trak-Lok that's available on a lot of trims doesn't really lock (mechanically, no gay brake nonsense)? Rubi comes with Tru-lok lockers, which I'm assuming truly lock.

Last time I looked, it was trims like Black Bear and Willy's Wheeler that had the locker option. Stuff like sport and sahara only had the LSD option.
Willys Wheeler only comes Trak-lok according to the Jeep site, I thought so also.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Can I post in here for only being mildy interested?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
SixSpeeder

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm Tru-Lok is true, Trak-Lok is false.
So what the hell is the Trac-lok differential, and how does it differ from a base model? It's a $500 option on select models: Trac-Lok® Differential Rear Axle
max225

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:02 pm Can I post in here for only being mildy interested?
Yas
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Now I'm confused, so the Trac-Lok that's available on a lot of trims doesn't really lock (mechanically, no gay brake nonsense)? Rubi comes with Tru-lok lockers, which I'm assuming truly lock.

LSD is not standard... it is an option in the Jeeps and it looks like it is now $495 vs $375 prior that is for Trak-Loc. :disgust:

They are 2 open diffs unless Rubicunt (front and rear lockers Tru Loc) or Optioned with rear LSD.

TruLock lockers: Rubicon front/rear; BlackBear rear (optional)
TracLock LSD: Willys (mandatory); Everything else except Rubicon (optional)
Also 2017+ Models can be optioned with LED headlights $595. Which are da bomb.com

Also...
OFF-ROAD CAPABILITIES (4WD OPERATION)

AXLE LOCK (TRU-LOK) — RUBICON ONLY

The AXLE LOCK switch is located on the instrument panel (to the left of the steering column).

This feature will only activate when the following conditions are met:
• Key in Run Position, vehicle in 4L (Low) range.
• Vehicle speed at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

that means above 10mph you're open diffing
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:17 pm

LSD is not standard... it is an option in the Jeeps and it looks like it is now $495 vs $375 prior that is for Trak-Loc. :disgust:

They are 2 open diffs unless Rubicunt (front and rear lockers Tru Loc) or Optioned with rear LSD.

Also 2017+ Models can be optioned with LED headlights $595. Which are da bomb.com

Also...

The AXLE LOCK switch is located on the instrument panel (to the left of the steering column).

So Rubi is the only real man's jeep. All others are pointless.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

IMO a normal person not rock crawling would be best suited with Trak-Loc. The Rubicon features are primarily for rock crawling.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:23 pm IMO a normal person not rock crawling would be best suited with Trak-Loc. The Rubicon features are primarily for rock crawling.
Bruh I live my life one rock at a time.
SixSpeeder

maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Also...

Thank you.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm
maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:23 pm IMO a normal person not rock crawling would be best suited with Trak-Loc. The Rubicon features are primarily for rock crawling.
I live my life under 10mph with Axle-Lock active in 4 LO :yikes: like how often does that actually happen... I found the LO-range setting in my JGC to be full retard. And it was 2.7:1 vs 4:1
SixSpeeder

A locking rear end will take you up super slippery slopes with ease, a non-locking rear end will require a better line/multiple tries in my experience. A Wrangler with open difs in skilled hands can go a lot of places, but one with a locker will get there much easier with less effort and skill required. It's sad to see a locker is not available for less cash. I guess a Sport with an aftermarket locker and better tires is the way to go.

Yeah, I definitely don't require a front locker but the rear can be very valuable in my experience.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm

I live my life under 10mph with Axle-Lock active in 4 LO :yikes: like how often does that actually happen... I found the LO-range setting in my JGC to be full retard. And it was 2.7:1 vs 4:1
Yeah I'm just being facetious. I put the Tahoe in 4LO to see if it worked. That's it. It's pretty handy for slick boat ramps but I got no boat.
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:31 pm
A locking rear end will take you up super slippery slopes with ease, a non-locking rear end will require a better line/multiple tries in my experience. A Wrangler with open difs in skilled hands can go a lot of places, but one with a locker will get there much easier with less effort and skill required. It's sad to see a locker is not available for less cash. I guess a Sport with an aftermarket locker and better tires is the way to go.

Yeah, I definitely don't require a front locker but the rear can be very valuable in my experience.
Right... especially on a straight axle'd car it really helps. The Burban has it standard and it climbed most grades with ease where other cars without the locker would have needed 4WD.

Essentially having 4WD makes a rear locker semi-unnecessary. But I can totally see the value if you were to drive it in 2HI primarily.

My experience in the basic bitch spec (open diffs all around) was pretty much that the jeep would do anything I threw at it. It was incredibly capable straight out of the box. A locker wouldn't be a make or break feature for sure. And they are not horribly expensive in the aftermarket, so a retrofit would be easy.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 pm
maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Yeah I'm just being facetious. I put the Tahoe in 4LO to see if it worked. That's it. It's pretty handy for slick boat ramps but I got no boat.
It was actually really awful putting the Jeep into 4LO. You'd have to crawl at around 2-3mph and then jam the diff from 4HI to 4LO which sometimes would create awful noises that were "normal". And then the car would drive like absolute shit... But that may just be because my jeep didn't have an E-Diff and a different throttle mapping for when in 4HI. It got super touchy.
max225

IMO this is what the current jeep really needs...
1. Larger gas tank ~24 gallons
2. Better MPG 18 city 28 highway should be achievable if a frigging 2000lb heavier tahoe/burb can manage 16/22
3. Car play/Uconnect update
4. Better low end power
5. Better brakes
6. Better lights (already started in 2017)
That would be it on my list for the car...it sounds like they may actually hit most of those updates.
max225

:mindblown:
max225

Very fascinating... looks like 4 door outsells 2 door 4 : 1
Poverty Sports are pretty much 50% of the sales...
Rubis are about 15%
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wow, the new one will be super last 2018 MY. Interesting. And not in a good way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Also, my Rubicon did a ton of stuff without the lockers engaged. They disengage at 20mph+, which makes them worthless in slippery stuff. Pretty much just rock crawling, and even then open is ample.

I would be more inclined to install an aftermarket lcoker in a poverty sport.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.