Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 am Dang, vroom is hiring a product manager in Detroit. I should apply.

Job :plac:
:fuckyeah: :gaydance: job :plac: :dock:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Is vroom making money though ? All these “disruptors” and god i hate that word, because it usually means selling $100 bills for $50 and claiming you changed the world, are money losing propositions that won’t be around.
We work
Uber
Lyft
Door dash
Insta cart
Etc
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:popcorn: on the Vroom :dill:

Could be a nice way to :plac: the BMW (which would be legit :plac: IMO if I off it in less than two years for a different DD for no real reason).
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am Is vroom making money though ? All these “disruptors” and god i hate that word, because it usually means selling $100 bills for $50 and claiming you changed the world, are money losing propositions that won’t be around.
We work
Uber
Lyft
Door dash
Insta cart
Etc
I don't even care in the name of job movement. OEMs are done...I'm on a sinking ship of misery, and this would get me out of the factory and into a software environment that I desperately need.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:52 am :popcorn: on the Vroom :dill:

Could be a nice way to :plac: the BMW (which would be legit :plac: IMO if I off it in less than two years for a different DD for no real reason).
The only experience I have with them is a ridiculous low-ball offer to buy the Volt. They offered me $2k under what the :dillerman: offered me. But I imagine if you were buying something else from them, it might be different.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am Is vroom making money though ? All these “disruptors” and god i hate that word, because it usually means selling $100 bills for $50 and claiming you changed the world, are money losing propositions that won’t be around.
We work
Uber
Lyft
Door dash
Insta cart
Etc
"Disruptor" gets thrown around here a lot :disgust: (although this company is a cash cow). But I'd agree that it's normally built on hopes and dreams (investor dollhairs) and will eventually implode as an "industry". Investors won't prop money losing businesses forever.

I fail to see how Vroom could possibly make money on buying a $29K :dillerman: price :jeep: for $29K. My Carvana offer of $15.6K on the Beemah made sense, they probably incur $3-5K in cost, sell for $23-24K and make a few thousand in profit.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:59 am
We work
Uber
Lyft
Door dash
Insta cart
Etc
"Disruptor" gets thrown around here a lot :disgust: (although this company is a cash cow). But I'd agree that it's normally built on hopes and dreams (investor dollhairs) and will eventually implode as an "industry". Investors won't prop money losing businesses forever.

I fail to see how Vroom could possibly make money on buying a $29K :dillerman: price :jeep: for $29K. My Carvana offer of $15.6K on the Beemah made sense, they probably incur $3-5K in cost, sell for $23-24K and make a few thousand in profit.
Selling cars is an old ass business model, that has been reinvented a billion times. It’s not a huge money maker or a money maker even, unless you like fucking people over. Literally fucking them, no lube nothing.

That’s the state of this industry
ChrisoftheNorth

We work
Uber
Lyft
Door dash
Insta cart
Etc

:jeep: are a bit special with resale value, so that's not really a fair assessment. I think my Volt experience is more normal, which is to say they're stealing the cars they buy.

Then if they control the entire reconditioning process, their fixed cost is high, but variable is really low, lower with more volume. Most :dillerman: need to pay auction fees and various reconditioning :bs: that jacks the price of used cars up. Vroom is getting around that by doing it themselves.

If enough people get used to the experience and like it (I love the idea, personally), then it could really be a solid money maker. The challenge is getting volume. I think the concept is more sound than paying people to deliver me a $7 burrito for free somehow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

Selling cars is an old ass business model, that has been reinvented a billion times. It’s not a huge money maker or a money maker even, unless you like fucking people over. Literally fucking them, no lube nothing.

Yeah I am always amazed at all of it, margins are super thin for :dillerman: , no idea on the manufacturer side but it's hard to believe there is a ton on anything sub $30K retail.
ChrisoftheNorth

Depends. Vroom is offering a major convenience, and that's not messing with :dillerman: I could see people paying a premium for that...I know I would.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:08 am

Yeah I am always amazed at all of it, margins are super thin for :dillerman: , no idea on the manufacturer side but it's hard to believe there is a ton on anything sub $30K retail.
OEMs aren't making a ton on sub-$30k vehicles. $1-2k per unit after incentives at most. That's why cars are gone because crossovers can be sold for a bit more, but don't cost that much more to engineer/produce.

There's still too much competition in the industry IMO.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 am

:jeep: are a bit special with resale value, so that's not really a fair assessment. I think my Volt experience is more normal, which is to say they're stealing the cars they buy.

Then if they control the entire reconditioning process, their fixed cost is high, but variable is really low, lower with more volume. Most :dillerman: need to pay auction fees and various reconditioning :bs: that jacks the price of used cars up. Vroom is getting around that by doing it themselves.

If enough people get used to the experience and like it (I love the idea, personally), then it could really be a solid money maker. The challenge is getting volume. I think the concept is more sound than paying people to deliver me a $7 burrito for free somehow.
It’s the same thing. You’re also fronting a shit Ton of capital and still dealing with :derp: s constantly in need of financing
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:11 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 am

It’s the same thing. You’re also fronting a shit Ton of capital and still dealing with :derp: s constantly in need of financing
They're not doing in-house consumer financing that I can see.

But they have invested a ton of capital in the entire business, no doubt. But it could pay off big time if the service takes off.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:08 am

OEMs aren't making a ton on sub-$30k vehicles. $1-2k per unit after incentives at most. That's why cars are gone because crossovers can be sold for a bit more, but don't cost that much more to engineer/produce.

There's still too much competition in the industry IMO.
Makes sense... agreed on the competition... very :butwhy: that some of the brands even exist. Nissan is a prime example... they're a huge automaker and nothing about what they do is interesting or competitive, it seems like some sort of smart finance company could just offer other brands to porrs with bad credit and increase volume across better models, as that's all Nissan really brings to the table.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:14 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:11 am

But they have invested a ton of capital in the entire business, no doubt. But it could pay off big time if the service takes off.
They still need a place to service the car, clean it, take pics, post em, maintain all that other crap, deal with :derp: s that may need something replaced etc etc. this is not a disruptor to me. Carmax does the same thing and you can actually drive the car and inspect it before you buy it. Prices are comparable also. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:20 am

They still need a place to service the car, clean it, take pics, post em, maintain all that other crap, deal with :derp: s that may need something replaced etc etc. this is not a disruptor to me. Carmax does the same thing and you can actually drive the car and inspect it before you buy it. Prices are comparable also. :iono:
Most :derp: don't give a shit about inspecting it and wouldn't notice anything anyways.
People probably still take cars to OEM :dillerman: for service regardless of where they buy, if they bother servicing.
:millennial: like to do everything from the couch.

I think it's a legit idea, most people aren't car guys. And even for those of us who are, local inventory often doesn't cut it. You and I both went through painful experiences purchasing cars from other cities and shipping them. Imagine how much easier that would've been if they actually knew how to do it properly.
ChrisoftheNorth

Carmax has massive capital tied up in real estate...that needs to be passed down to customer. There aren't any Carmax's in MI because reasons...so I can't even go to Carmax. There's nothing stopping Vroom from selling me a car.

Vroom just has one massive reconditioning facility, which will get cheaper with more volume.

Service is a thing, I guess...but they just pass on that revenue opportunity entirely. Not the worst idea TBH...especially since a lot of the vehicles they seem to sell are still under OEM warranty anyway.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:25 am
Carmax has massive capital tied up in real estate...that needs to be passed down to customer. There aren't any Carmax's in MI because reasons...so I can't even go to Carmax. There's nothing stopping Vroom from selling me a car.

Vroom just has one massive reconditioning facility, which will get cheaper with more volume.

Service is a thing, I guess...but they just pass on that revenue opportunity entirely. Not the worst idea TBH...especially since a lot of the vehicles they seem to sell are still under OEM warranty anyway.
Vroom is charging you a $499 delivery fee per vehicle. Doubt keeping a car on the lot costs much more than that for 30 days. Delivering a vehicle to your door stop is a huge hassle/risk and inconvenience for the seller. It was also my biggest fear during my transaction ...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:25 am

Vroom is charging you a $499 delivery fee per vehicle. Doubt keeping a car on the lot costs much more than that for 30 days. Delivering a vehicle to your door stop is a huge hassle/risk and inconvenience for the seller. It was also my biggest fear during my transaction ...
so much potential for damage. @chalupabatman shows us the massive fuck ups in shipping. Crushed doors and roof/glass is way too common. They have literally squished cars with the ramp above.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:36 am

They’ve got some major money in play.

Operations are spread between NYC, Detroit, and Texas.
I'm at whit's end here. Applying.

Would be great to be at the cutting edge of something for a change.
I hear they have a great employee lease deal on a gray Rubicunt JK that's coming in. "This baby just came in! You're getting the first crack at it. The carpets are even still wet from the steam cleaning!"
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:50 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am

so much potential for damage. @chalupabatman shows us the massive fuck ups in shipping. Crushed doors and roof/glass is way too common. They have literally squished cars with the ramp above.
If it's anything like Carvana they use single car carriers with wrap around shielding for the front of the vehicle
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:51 am

I hear they have a great employee lease deal on a gray Rubicunt JK that's coming in. "This baby just came in! You're getting the first crack at it. The carpets are even still wet from the steam cleaning!"
It ain’t a rubicunt, :dillerman: lies
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:36 am

They’ve got some major money in play.

Operations are spread between NYC, Detroit, and Texas.

holy moly!

:nuke:

:impressive:

what is the :plac: term for jobs?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:52 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:51 am
It ain’t a rubicunt, :dillerman: lies
Well the carpets aren't wet from steam cleaning either
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:54 am

holy moly!

:nuke:

:impressive:

what is the :plac: term for jobs?
I'd say under 24 months at a given post... IMO.