Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 pm

They are not that different in terms of “simplicity”
JL has a lot more electronic tomfoolery.
Yep. Certainly a lot more stuff that’s computer controlled.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Push button start is kinda :gay: IMO. I always leave my keys in the BMW and then have to walk back to get them...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:06 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm

JL has a lot more electronic tomfoolery.
It's really not as much as you'd think. Extra computer shit for ESS I suppose, but everything else is surprisingly simple. The Pentastar isn't even DI.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:46 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:06 pm

It's really not as much as you'd think. Extra computer shit for ESS I suppose, but everything else is surprisingly simple. The Pentastar isn't even DI.
Yeah, and most of the stuff is the same as other uconnect 8.4 cars.

Not really anything custom in it that isn't proven to work, unlike that hunk of shit Cherokee setup.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 am Push button start is kinda :gay: IMO. I always leave my keys in the BMW and then have to walk back to get them...
Umm... Quit wearing Jeggings and get some pockets ya :gay:.

Keep your key in your pants.
ChrisoftheNorth

Sooooo my dad returned yesterday from a two week trip to Colorado in his bus and informed us that he's decided to sell his CTS-V and buy a 2-door JL to tow behind the bus. He said he'd rather spend his time out on the road seeing the country, riding his MTB, and wheeling a :jeep: than waxing a car he rarely drives.

He's looking at ordering a 2-door Sport S in Bikini Teal with tan premium top.

Rather :mindblown: by this development, but it makes a lot of sense. I'd probably do the same thing if I were him.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 am Sooooo my dad returned yesterday from a two week trip to Colorado in his bus and informed us that he's decided to sell his CTS-V and buy a 2-door JL to tow behind the bus. He said he'd rather spend his time out on the road seeing the country, riding his MTB, and wheeling a :jeep: than waxing a car he rarely drives.

Rather :mindblown: by this development, but it makes a lot of sense. I'd probably do the same thing if I were him.
:mindblown: :fuckyeah:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:13 pm

He would have to keep the :jeep: for more than 6 months for that to be an issue :doe:

:plac:
:dat:

FWIW Rotors are tied to the BRK manufacturer at $115/ea. I'm looking to keep the :jeep: to 60k/2 more years. Then it's someone else's problem. :trollface:

:rage: "But I ordered the rotors that matched the VIN!"
:derp: "But why don't they fit?"
:lolol:

thats exactly what I expected. :mahtroy: :rage:

I cant wait for ray to need rotors and forget where he got them from.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 am Sooooo my dad returned yesterday from a two week trip to Colorado in his bus and informed us that he's decided to sell his CTS-V and buy a 2-door JL to tow behind the bus. He said he'd rather spend his time out on the road seeing the country, riding his MTB, and wheeling a :jeep: than waxing a car he rarely drives.

how much he want for the V?
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 am

He's not sure. Probably going to post it on BAT.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:36 am

:popcorn:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dang. my inner :scrooge: tingled. But that will surely net him a good price.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:41 am
Yea...the car's worth money and he knows it. He's expecting well over $50k, and he'll probably get it. 2014 gray :manuel: with sunroof, Recaros, and 30k miles.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Can't wait to see the bikini yeep
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:45 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:41 am

Yea...the car's worth money and he knows it. He's expecting well over $50k, and he'll probably get it. 2014 gray :manuel: with sunroof, Recaros, and 30k miles.
It’ll prob be 80k because :fullretard: car market right now. Best time to sell
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:45 am
Yea, that's what I told him. If he's going to sell it in the next 10 years, do it now.

He paid $62k for it...I think it's really likely he won't lose a dime on it.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am

Yea, that's what I told him. If he's going to sell it in the next 10 years, do it now.

:dat: I have been contemplating doing something similar but the risk is certainly there and it’s like damned if you do and damned if you don’t, I don’t have :alpo: luck so I am too chicken shit to roll the dice
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 am

:dat: I have been contemplating doing something similar but the risk is certainly there and it’s like damned if you do and damned if you don’t, I don’t have :alpo: luck so I am too chicken shit to roll the dice
I think you have to go into with an :aintcare: mindset. My dad bought the car because he wanted it, not because it's collectible or whatever. In fact, he credits some of its "collectability" to not driving it that much. He didn't think he'd sell it this quickly, but his priorities shifted so now it's done. He also doesn't really care how much he "looses" (which I think will be minimal if at all), so when you overall DGAF you will probably end up doing ok.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 am

I think you have to go into with an :aintcare: mindset. My dad bought the car because he wanted it, not because it's collectible or whatever. In fact, he credits some of its "collectability" to not driving it that much. He didn't think he'd sell it this quickly, but his priorities shifted so now it's done. He also doesn't really care how much he "looses" (which I think will be minimal if at all), so when you overall DGAF you will probably end up doing ok.
The DGAF meter goes down with age at 60+ you got maybe 10-15 good years left ? In your 30s you have more things you’d want to spend your money on. But yea obviously a lot of variables, we all think about money differently.

Do I park 65k on a toy that I put no miles on and enjoy ?
Or do I spend 65k on a few safaris? 10 euro trips. Or some fine ass company
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 am
The DGAF meter goes down with age at 60+ you got maybe 10-15 good years left ? In your 30s you have more things you’d want to spend your money on. But yea obviously a lot of variables, we all think about money differently.

Do I park 65k on a toy that I put no miles on and enjoy ?
Or do I spend 65k on a few safaris? 10 euro trips. Or some fine ass company
Yea...my dad's 67...probably in better shape than most 50 year olds, but I think he's recognizing his mortality and now that he has all the time in the world and more money than he knows what to do with, he's going to enjoy life for a while. I told him to just keep the car since he hardly needs the money, but he said he has a strong desire to simplify. He's been selling a bunch of shit since he retired...I fully expect him to trade-in his bus in a few years for something even bigger, sell his house, and fuck off 100%.

I personally wouldn't spend that much on a car expecting it to hold value. I don't think the 40-100k vehicle market is stable enough. My dad could easily end up selling his V for mid-$40k if that's what the market dictates since he doesn't care. The coming years in particular will introduce a ton of volatility. Cars in this price range need to tick all the right boxes for a buyer...and they tend to be :fullretard: Like my dad's car has a panoramic sunroof...most :derp: want the sunroof delete option for :fullretard: because #weightsavings like it matters on a 4k lbs car. Gotta find the right buyer at the right time, which is tough.

I'm personally over the idea of spending a lot on a car. I just want something I like that's fun and can stay for a while. For me, that's a :jeep: since it'll enable more experiences for us. Then can plug the money saved into trips and whatnot like you said.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:06 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 am Push button start is kinda :gay: IMO. I always leave my keys in the BMW and then have to walk back to get them...

Admittedly... yeah, I’m a dumbass. But I don’t love having things in my pockets while driving. The whole key thing was an “ain’t broke, don’t fix it” situation IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sounds like a lot of fun :notbad:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:26 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:06 am

Admittedly... yeah, I’m a dumbass. But I don’t love having things in my pockets while driving. The whole key thing was an “ain’t broke, don’t fix it” situation IMO.
Ever since getting a car with PTS, I really miss it bad when I get in the ZR2.

Having to pull my keys out of my pocket all the time sucks. You get spoiled fast when every other car you've had for the last many years has had it (except the JK). Even my Harley has keyless start..... and Harley is almost always last to the game on innovation.
max225

:wtf: it is important enough for a feature for me where I am willing to spend an extra $2k, to go Limited vs Premium WRX.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Ever since getting a car with PTS, I really miss it bad when I get in the ZR2.

Having to pull my keys out of my pocket all the time sucks. You get spoiled fast when every other car you've had for the last many years has had it (except the JK). Even my Harley has keyless start..... and Harley is almost always last to the game on innovation.
2009 370z which is "too old" now by everyones standards has it STANDARD.