Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:41 am
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 pm @Detroit has GM utilized a similar level of automation for the colorado ? Not trying to talk shit simply curious, I figured the jeep would be way more hands on since robots cost so damn much... but just :impressive:
Dash install automated....
those roof dollies... that drive themselves...
Paint automated (standard)
all chassis welding automated (tesla bragged about this... but standard also)
the whole chassis robots including the rotisserie one that allows them to turn it 120 degrees is :mindblown:
even in some german cars the dash is put in by hand...

Amazing to watch it all
Whenever a plant is tooled up for a new model, state of the art automation is put in place. I haven't been to Wentzville to see where the Colorado is built, but I have been to our Detroit plants...where we build the Volt and CT6 in Hamtramck, and the Bolt/Sonic in Lake Orion. The level of automation is similar there.
I have not seen a rotisserie as such ... pretty :impressive: wonder how they will do this month in sales. My :dillerman: moved 100+ units in the last 3 weeks but they also had 6k on the hood, either way that’s pretty damn :impressive:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I wonder if they found a way to automate their recalls into the manufacturing process.

Don't mind me I'm just trying to keep the salt content of the board up.
max225

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am I wonder if they found a way to automate their recalls into the manufacturing process.

They are reliable machines I don’t get what you’re saying one bit. The track bar weld is small issue that has already been addressed. Everything else is increadibly solid for a first model year, especially a fca first model year. They had less issues than Toyota with the taco or Honda with the civic engines popping
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Reminds me of getting to walk around the F-35 production line in Palmdale while it was running. That was sick to see how automated it was.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:46 am
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am I wonder if they found a way to automate their recalls into the manufacturing process.

They are reliable machines I don’t get what you’re saying one bit. The track bar weld is small issue that has already been addressed. Everything else is increadibly solid for a first model year, especially a fca first model year. They had less issues than Toyota with the taco or Honda with the civic engines popping
Yea, I find it remarkable how trouble-free the JLs seem to be. :notbad: FCA.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I just don't buy into the fca Kool aid everyone drinks around here. I know the wrangler reliability is better than the rest of their line up. I think wrangler prices are full retard and I know you throw up fca stuff with 10k on the hood by you like it's the norm but it's not like that every where.

But it's just my opinion and I'm wrong
max225

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:54 am I just don't buy into the fca Kool aid everyone drinks around here. I know the wrangler reliability is better than the rest of their line up. I think wrangler prices are full retard and I know you throw up fca stuff with 10k on the hood by you like it's the norm but it's not like that every where.

10k is not found on the wranglers, even since the inception there are plenty of those that got 1-5% under invoice (4-7k off) including our own :waxer: it has been done and proven so what is your point ? The deals are there if you’re not a lazy ass.

All new cars are expensive ... wrangler is priced in line with the rest. I’m sure you have seen many of my
Rants in the used wrangler market place and yep... fuck that. Why bother when a new one is less.
SAWCE

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:54 am I just don't buy into the fca Kool aid everyone drinks around here. I know the wrangler reliability is better than the rest of their line up. I think wrangler prices are full retard and I know you throw up fca stuff with 10k on the hood by you like it's the norm but it's not like that every where.

Wrong. You're not wrong. You're :wrong:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 am

10k is not found on the wranglers, even since the inception there are plenty of those that got 1-5% under invoice (4-7k off) including our own :waxer: it has been done and proven so what is your point ? The deals are there if you’re not a lazy ass.

All new cars are expensive ... wrangler is priced in line with the rest. I’m sure you have seen many of my
Rants in the used wrangler market place and yep... fuck that. Why bother when a new one is less.
Yeah, I'm no :waxer: or master negotiator, but I saw that other people were getting below invoice and I took those number to my :dillerman: and got 3% below invoice IIRC.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah, I'm no :waxer: or master negotiator, but I saw that other people were getting below invoice and I took those number to my :dillerman: and got 3% below invoice IIRC.
:wrong: you’re lying just like everyone else and your Jeep is a Heep that is plagued with issues
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am

:wrong: you’re lying just like everyone else and your Jeep is a Heep that is plagued with issues
:( Yes sir.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 pm https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/jee ... ble-nhtsa/

:yikes:

Normal on a 20 year old :jeep: maybe, but not normal on a new one.
It's kind of inherent with the solid front axle design. There's a reason nobody does solid front axles anymore.

I wonder how widespread this really is on non-modified Jeeps. Everyone has a stock vehicle regardless of what's been done to it when problems arise.

Grain of salt.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 pm https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/jee ... ble-nhtsa/

18 complaints on 230k units moved ytd, the other 229982 owners are dead.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 pm

:amazing: want want want
This is all fun and games until you realize Homer Simpson is at the controls of those robots and completely misses the weld location for the track bar. Also, I call BS on this vid. Nobody is even stoned, can't possibly be Chrysler's plant.
Johnny_P

We asked Jeep about death wobble and a company spokesperson said that it "is not a widespread condition, nor is it a safety issue."
:koolaid: :yeahok:
Johnny_P

:wrong:

Yeah the $10k on the hood is unicorn calibro one dealership pricing. $10k off ain't happening elsewhere in the country without an assload of strings attached to it. One legged widowed mother of 3, army, navy, and air force vet, currently serving in the coast guard, owns a farm, leases a FCA vehicle, leases a competitor's vehicle, hasn't owned a FCA vehicle in 3 years, credit score of under 450, qualifies for top tier credit, and holds a SCCA membership.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm
It's kind of inherent with the solid front axle design. There's a reason nobody does solid front axles anymore.

I wonder how widespread this really is on non-modified Jeeps. Everyone has a stock vehicle regardless of what's been done to it when problems arise.

Grain of salt.
I wonder if it could be mitigated with different diameter axles to fight the harmonics?
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Grain of salt.
I wonder if it could be mitigated with different diameter axles to fight the harmonics?
I think it's more related to steering gear, track bar, etc. But anything is possible.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:03 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Or just a steering damper.
On a new truck, it's more of a band-aid than a solution I think.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm Also, who wants a :jeep: ?

:notbad:

Dat Backcountry you have/had is really a 5/7 way to :jeep:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:26 pm
Apex wrote:
:notbad:

Dat Backcountry you have/had is really a 5/7 way to :jeep:
Backcountry is in the middle.

I drove it. I liked it quite a bit.
We'll replace wifey's JGC with a JKU in a few years I bet, we've already discussed it and she likes driving them.
JKU's feel too open inside to me, whereas a JK felt just right. :iono: I like small cabins hence :truk: lyfe for me.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:36 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm

We'll replace wifey's JGC with a JKU in a few years I bet, we've already discussed it and she likes driving them.
JKU's feel too open inside to me, whereas a JK felt just right. :iono: I like small cabins hence :truk: lyfe for me.
I could get on board with the JKU lyfe.
It's really a :notbad: lyfe.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:30 pm

:wrong:

Yeah the $10k on the hood is unicorn calibro one dealership pricing. $10k off ain't happening elsewhere in the country without an assload of strings attached to it. One legged widowed mother of 3, army, navy, and air force vet, currently serving in the coast guard, owns a farm, leases a FCA vehicle, leases a competitor's vehicle, hasn't owned a FCA vehicle in 3 years, credit score of under 450, qualifies for top tier credit, and holds a SCCA membership.
Like I mentioned at least 2x it’s not on the JL the fuck
max225

JLs come with steering dampers
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm We'll replace wifey's JGC with a JKU in a few years I bet, we've already discussed it and she likes driving them.
The thing I like about the JKU is that you can essentially get a 4 door SUV with a manual trans.

As much as I like my regular cab trucks, when it comes to two-door Wranglers, I just feel like I'm driving a roller skate.