Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 pm

I dunno it seems like an odd system for the Jeep, I think it also has irs up front. It may be a tough one to sell down the line
All Wranglers have solid axles front and rear. Transfer case is still there and all, just when you engage 4 auto, it engages the transfer case but opens a clutch. It'll close the clutch if it detects slippage, powering the front wheels just like a no-diff transfer case would. 4H locks the clutch, 4L gives you gear reduction.

For snow, ice, or gravel it's a superior system. For rock crawling I have no idea, that could be a demerit because I don't know how strong the clutch lockup is.
:dat:

Rubicon has a completely different t-case from the rest, so if rock crawling is that important, get that. Otherwise, the full-time t-case works great for 95% of buyers.

Colorado has a 4WD auto option, and GM development (and owners) beat the living hell out of them offroad without issue.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:39 am As a %, Sports have the best resale...especially if you can keep the options low.

Rubicons probably sell faster, everyone wants one.

There's a 2018 Sport S at my local dealer in Mojito green. Has all the options I want...except it has the premium soft top instead of hard top, so it's been sitting. I like the premium soft top, so I'd be OK with it. If it gets cheap enough, I might have to pull the trigger.
I'm wondering if this will change since there are so many leftovers, yet Rubicons are still somewhat more rare. The market is fully flooded at this point. We saw it happen on the WRX, Subaru loaded the market with them, suddenly they weren't hard to get, used market flooded with them, and resale dropped to normal car levels.
Yea...it'll be interesting. Residuals might shift around, but there's still minimal OEM incentive support on them, which is the biggest driver of residuals. Right now, the "deals" are just dealers eating into their margin.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:58 am

All Wranglers have solid axles front and rear. Transfer case is still there and all, just when you engage 4 auto, it engages the transfer case but opens a clutch. It'll close the clutch if it detects slippage, powering the front wheels just like a no-diff transfer case would. 4H locks the clutch, 4L gives you gear reduction.

For snow, ice, or gravel it's a superior system. For rock crawling I have no idea, that could be a demerit because I don't know how strong the clutch lockup is.

Rubicon has a completely different t-case from the rest, so if rock crawling is that important, get that. Otherwise, the full-time t-case works great for 95% of buyers.

Colorado has a 4WD auto option, and GM development (and owners) beat the living hell out of them offroad without issue.
I mean if given the option it's the transfer case I'd want. 4x4 would be most useful to me on snow/ice, where you can't predict when you need all 4 wheels and when you don't, but you don't want to lock it in 4H because it won't turn.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 am

I'm wondering if this will change since there are so many leftovers, yet Rubicons are still somewhat more rare. The market is fully flooded at this point. We saw it happen on the WRX, Subaru loaded the market with them, suddenly they weren't hard to get, used market flooded with them, and resale dropped to normal car levels.
Yea...it'll be interesting. Residuals might shift around, but there's still minimal OEM incentive support on them, which is the biggest driver of residuals. Right now, the "deals" are just dealers eating into their margin.
Could just be a temporary blip in the grand scheme of things. Did they cut back the factory at all or are they still running full tilt?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 am

I mean if given the option it's the transfer case I'd want. 4x4 would be most useful to me on snow/ice, where you can't predict when you need all 4 wheels and when you don't, but you don't want to lock it in 4H because it won't turn.
I like it in my Colorado, I too would chose that t-case in a Wrangler/JT.

I actually don't want the Rubicon t-case...the super low 4lo is really detrimental to wheeling out here. A Sport S with Rubicon axles (wider, 4.10's, lockers) is perfect IMO which is why a Gladiator Sport S with Max tow (comes with Rubicon axles minus lockers) is my perfect spec.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am
Could just be a temporary blip in the grand scheme of things. Did they cut back the factory at all or are they still running full tilt?
Good question. Plant volume is constantly monitored to meet demand. Overbuilding doesn't really happen much anymore across the industry. It's way too costly. If dealers aren't ordering, the vehicles aren't getting built. I don't know what dealer orders look like, but judging by the amount of 18's still left, it's probably not crazy.

Still, the 18's left are random builds...so the :dill: s are a tough pill to swallow. You'll probably have to compromise on content in some way or another. Like the 18 Mojito Sport S i was referring to, fully loaded with a premium soft top. :wat:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 am

it is just a different type of transfer case, but I a trying to understand what happens to the axles also. There is another difference there as well.
The normal Jeep Transfer case goes 2H>4H>N>4L
Selectrac goes 2H>4AUTO>4H>N>4L

just like the non rubis it is at 2.72:1 which is honestly plenty, who would take a 55k vehicle into full HAM offroading. It offers some savings ... it is about 2-3k cheaper than fully equipped otherwise but it just assumes you want every option. Which isn't a bad thing. I really like it, but I fear epic depreciation on that thing. I :aintcare: for 4:1 and swaybar disconnects I don't need it.
max225

Selectrac
CommandTrac
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm Selectrac
CommandTrac
This doesn't tell me which intercooler is best, tho
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:34 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm Selectrac
CommandTrac
Depends on the t00n bro.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Depends on the t00n bro.
And which one makes the most power on 100 octane
max225

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Unless you count airbag deployments as an issue :trollface:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 am

Good question. Plant volume is constantly monitored to meet demand. Overbuilding doesn't really happen much anymore across the industry. It's way too costly. If dealers aren't ordering, the vehicles aren't getting built. I don't know what dealer orders look like, but judging by the amount of 18's still left, it's probably not crazy.

Still, the 18's left are random builds...so the :dill: s are a tough pill to swallow. You'll probably have to compromise on content in some way or another. Like the 18 Mojito Sport S i was referring to, fully loaded with a premium soft top. :wat:
I think you should :doit:

Dat green :drool:

I don't live in Michigan, but I would go soft top on a :jeep: all day now with how nice the new ones are. Plus the car looks cooler and a hard top would really just neverr come off due to hassle and storage.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am

I don't live in Michigan, but I would go soft top on a :jeep: all day now with how nice the new ones are. Plus the car looks cooler and a hard top would really just neverr come off due to hassle and storage.
We'll see if any :dill: s happen on it. The premium soft top is double thick material, really nice. It was designed for all weather conditions. I think it would be just fine.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:10 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 am

We'll see if any :dill: s happen on it. The premium soft top is double thick material, really nice. It was designed for all weather conditions. I think it would be just fine.
I think the first set of :dill: s will happen around 4th of July ... the second at Labor Day... but I also think year end will be absolutely nuts this year
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:10 am We'll see if any :dill: s happen on it. The premium soft top is double thick material, really nice. It was designed for all weather conditions. I think it would be just fine.
I think the first set of :dill: s will happen around 4th of July ... the second at Labor Day... but I also think year end will be absolutely nuts this year

You get a Jeep!
And you get a Jeep!

max225

:lolgasm:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am

You're probably right. We'll see...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am

Slingin :dill: 's and MURICA like

Johnny_P

:lolgasm:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:lolol:
Johnny_P

Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Slingin :dill: 's and MURICA like

:lolol:
Can we make that a new .gif for 'Murica'?
max225

+1 on :murica: