Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Short trips. Funny how the Frontier with the ancient engine returned the best fuel mileage. They're known to be gas guzzlers. I wonder if the Colorado would have gotten better over time as the engine broke in.
Yeah, also - I've owned the Jeep through the worst time of the year for fuel economy: the dead of winter.

I could squeeze out 20-21 MPG on the highway in the Frontier. I don't think I ever saw that with the Colorado.
Fuel mileage in the current crop of midsize trucks makes no damn sense to me. They get the same or worse mileage as full sizers.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 pm
Yes, totally.

I also want an AMC Eagle, soooo
Oh a crosstrek? :jimp:
I do like that the Alltrack gets a real motor.
A Crosstrek STI with a Turbro engine would be epic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:50 pm
Yes, totally.

My grandpa rocked one of these in the early 80s.... not judging, just sayin' I know youre an AMC guy....(dat Gremlin :doe:) I may have mentioned it before but my sister in law has a Amc Javelin Amx.....
I had a Pacer, but yea...I'm an AMC guy at heart. I'd love to find an Eagle SX4 just because I think they're super cool.

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:05 pm
My grandpa rocked one of these in the early 80s.... not judging, just sayin' I know youre an AMC guy....(dat Gremlin :doe:) I may have mentioned it before but my sister in law has a Amc Javelin Amx.....
I had a Pacer, but yea...I'm an AMC guy at heart. I'd love to find an Eagle SX4 just because I think they're super cool.

:ohdang: Pacer, not Gremlin ..... sorry, I swear I'm am going to need my own caregivers before long :wap:

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Oh a crosstrek? :jimp:
I do like that the Alltrack gets a real motor.
A Crosstrek STI with a Turbro engine would be epic.
Would be cool for sure.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Short trips. Funny how the Frontier with the ancient engine returned the best fuel mileage. They're known to be gas guzzlers. I wonder if the Colorado would have gotten better over time as the engine broke in.
Yeah, also - I've owned the Jeep through the worst time of the year for fuel economy: the dead of winter.

I could squeeze out 20-21 MPG on the highway in the Frontier. I don't think I ever saw that with the Colorado.
Your mileage makes no sense to me. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:11 pm

:ohdang: Pacer, not Gremlin ..... sorry, I swear I'm am going to need my own caregivers before long :wap:

:jimp:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Yes, totally.

:nice:
Pics?

And of the car, too. ;)
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:11 pm

:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

What's odd is I regularly saw low 20s with my 4.3 Silverado not doing anything special. My ZR2 is horrific, but I expected that.

Gladiator should be abysmal too. :aintcare:
Apex

Also, thread title should be search for leak-less :jeep:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 am What's odd is I regularly saw low 20s with my 4.3 Silverado not doing anything special. My ZR2 is horrific, but I expected that.

I'm getting about 17 with my ZR2 and a lot of that is 80+ MPH freeway and standing on the throttle from every light.

If I keep this thing I'm going to have to get the Mallett.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 am What's odd is I regularly saw low 20s with my 4.3 Silverado not doing anything special. My ZR2 is horrific, but I expected that.

I'm getting about 17 with my ZR2 and a lot of that is 80+ MPH freeway and standing on the throttle from every light.

I'd be REALLY inclined to go with the new Edelbrock unit. The powertrain engineers at GM said the Mallett tune is dogshit. :notsure: on the reality there, but that's what they claimed from the test truck they had.

Truck would be epic with a blower. If I didn't work on the damned thing, I'd probably skip the Gladiator and buy the ZR2 off lease and a strap a blower on.
Apex

That Edelbrock unit looks :nice:
I should just say fuck it and buy my truck out; BDS, 34's, blower. :fullretard: :megusta: :burnout:
There are worse ways to light $10k on fire. :lol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am

I'd be REALLY inclined to go with the new Edelbrock unit. The powertrain engineers at GM said the Mallett tune is dogshit. :notsure: on the reality there, but that's what they claimed from the test truck they had.

Truck would be epic with a blower. If I didn't work on the damned thing, I'd probably skip the Gladiator and buy the ZR2 off lease and a strap a blower on.
Yeah, the problem I've seen is that a lot of the guys with Corvettes that bought the Edelbrock blower have the same complaint, that Edelbrock can't tune their way out of a paper bag.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 am

Yeah, the problem I've seen is that a lot of the guys with Corvettes that bought the Edelbrock blower have the same complaint, that Edelbrock can't tune their way out of a paper bag.
Interesting.

Tuning is super complex, especially with all the computer control crap now. Edelbrock being as large as it is, I assumed (probably wrongly) that their tuning game would be more on than some dude in North Carolina tuning for max power. I'd be more concerned about longevity.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:54 am Also, great news! Jeep was dry this morning after last night's surprise downpours.

So, I'm never removing the roof panels again.
:fuckyeah: and :sad:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:54 am Also, great news! Jeep was dry this morning after last night's surprise downpours.

That is indeed good news ! :like:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am

:dat:

I'm thinking about getting the premium soft top on the Gladiator.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am

I dunno the gladiator for the first 6months or more is around 10k more than it should be. So I would most likely wait.

Also the toughest decision is ram rebel vs gladiator. The ram is a better truck in every measurable way, it’s cheaper both in msrp and currently around 7k cheaper equally equipped before discounts, which are around 10k on top of that. So you can buy a rebel a trailer and a side by side for the same price as a gladiator.

However it doesn’t come with a removable roof, does that truly matter ?
Last edited by max225 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 am

Interesting.

Tuning is super complex, especially with all the computer control crap now. Edelbrock being as large as it is, I assumed (probably wrongly) that their tuning game would be more on than some dude in North Carolina tuning for max power. I'd be more concerned about longevity.
My plan would be this, assuming I keep the truck "forever":

1. Buy supercharger (whichever is better).
2. Take the tune that it comes with that is CARB certified so I can smog it later, and use it to get to the nearest real tuner.
3. Get a real tune done on a dyno and on the street, lots of good tuners here with HPTuners.
4. Keep CARB tune around for when smog time comes up, swap in and out as needed.
5. Buy a license for HPTuners and flash back and forth myself with no need to keep going to the tuner when I need smog checks.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:17 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 am
Interesting.

My plan would be this, assuming I keep the truck "forever":

1. Buy supercharger (whichever is better).
2. Take the tune that it comes with that is CARB certified so I can smog it later, and use it to get to the nearest real tuner.
3. Get a real tune done on a dyno and on the street, lots of good tuners here with HPTuners.
4. Keep CARB tune around for when smog time comes up, swap in and out as needed.
5. Buy a license for HPTuners and flash back and forth myself with no need to keep going to the tuner when I need smog checks.
:like:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:21 am
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:16 am

I dunno the gladiator for the first 6months or more is around 10k more than it should be. So I would most likely wait.

Also the toughest decision is ram rebel vs gladiator. The ram is a better truck in every measurable way, it’s cheaper both in msrp and currently around 7k cheaper equally equipped before discounts, which are around 10k on top of that. So you can buy a rebel a trailer and a side by side for the same price as a gladiator.

Yeah, but a Ram is yuuuuuuuuge.

I just don't like the size of the fullsizers. They're massive.
Plus storing an additional trailer and a side by side, which can't be driven on public roads.

I don't see Dplac daisy-chaining trailers to go off-roading and camping on the same trip either.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:21 am Yeah, but a Ram is yuuuuuuuuge.

I just don't like the size of the fullsizers. They're massive.
Plus storing an additional trailer and a side by side, which can't be driven on public roads.

I don't see Dplac daisy-chaining trailers to go off-roading and camping on the same trip either.
SxS goes in the useless bed.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:16 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am

Well I'm in a tough spot personally. My ZR2 lease is up in September...and I need a vehicle to replace it with for various reasons. I want a truck...I don't care if it's :wasteful:

I don't like big trucks...just too big for my daily stuff. I really like the size of the Gladiator, and I do like the fun factor of the roof coming off. It's something I'll legit use as I have the roof off my Corvette all the time. It can go places offroad that the Rebel can't go due to size, and while I'd love to have a side by side, I really don't want something sitting in the garage for 95% of the time not being used. Can't drive it on public roads, so it's really just a big paperweight. Plus I work on the Gladiator, so there's an element of money where your mouth is, etc.

I also want to buy something so I don't have to deal with lease mileage :bs: I've not being going places I want to go with the ZR2 due to lease mileage, and that's just :butwhy: . I'm pretty much over :plac: at this point, I just want something to hold onto for a long time. I've shown remarkable :plac: restraint among the fleet for years, in fact I'd probably keep the ZR2 for a long time if It wasn't a lease.

I get 5% off invoice without trying as an employee. I'm not sure waiting a while would get much better TBH. Maybe a 1-2% lower, but that's what...$4-500? Meh. I'd likely order it so it's exactly what I want, and just drive it forever.