Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://www.carmax.com/car/16707505

This is interesting... 2018 JLU Sahara with leather+stereo+Bigger HU for 38k at carmax.... the msrp on this was 46k....

This is a near perfect spec minus those painted wheels, hopefully just plastidip... and lack of LEDs but that is a super simple remedy.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:10 pm https://www.carmax.com/car/16707505

This is interesting... 2018 JLU Sahara with leather+stereo+Bigger HU for 38k at carmax.... the msrp on this was 46k....

This is a near perfect spec minus those painted wheels, hopefully just plastidip... and lack of LEDs but that is a super simple remedy.
Rip the "Wrangler is least depreciating car"
max225

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Well that happens when you crank out 300k units annually. Also options always killed wranglers... A sport and a loaded sahara are like 2-4k apart in the used market but are 10-15k apart when buying new. It creates a lot of opportunity to pick up a used loaded model.

The new model I posted for 28k, will remain there for a long ass time... I won't be under 20k for 10 years. Which is frankly :mindblown:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Only after you bought one it started depreciating.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

:popcorn: I suppose lets hope you're :wrong: then. But I'd be more inclined to trust you than a FCA diller.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:31 pm :popcorn: I suppose lets hope you're :wrong: then. But I'd be more inclined to trust you than a FCA diller.
When I bought the :jeep: it was low on coolant, below the minimum line. I added some, to bring it up to the max line, and drove it a while. Then it seemed to have been below the max line again, so I added a little more and put it above the max line.

And since then it hasn't moved, or appeared to move.

Perhaps temperature fluctuations and expansion? :iono:

I've got 2k miles and 4 months of of B2B warranty left. I'm not too worried right now.
And a nice offroad test coming up soon where the 4lo strain should bring to light any hidden gremlins. Awesome that you got everything fixed, maybe not as good as new but pretty damn good anyway... It gives me a lot of food for thought for any future used cars I buy.
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:22 pm
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm Rip the "Wrangler is least depreciating car"
Well that happens when you crank out 300k units annually. Also options always killed wranglers... A sport and a loaded sahara are like 2-4k apart in the used market but are 10-15k apart when buying new. It creates a lot of opportunity to pick up a used loaded model.

The new model I posted for 28k, will remain there for a long ass time... I won't be under 20k for 10 years. Which is frankly :mindblown:
That's a good point, makes me kind of happy that I went with near base model so I can add the rest myself. I wonder if all these new Jeep owners will treat it like any other car or be more traditional "this is mine, forever (short an emergency or life change)", since I think that will affect the long-term price more than the unit production
max225

Wrangler hasn’t had a new gen in 10 years... now there is going to be a :truk: and there is a brand new jl that isn’t production capped
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:31 pm :popcorn: I suppose lets hope you're :wrong: then. But I'd be more inclined to trust you than a FCA diller.
When I bought the :jeep: it was low on coolant, below the minimum line. I added some, to bring it up to the max line, and drove it a while. Then it seemed to have been below the max line again, so I added a little more and put it above the max line.

And since then it hasn't moved, or appeared to move.

Perhaps temperature fluctuations and expansion? :iono:

I've got 2k miles and 4 months of of B2B warranty left. I'm not too worried right now.
What about dat coolant smell, :doe: ?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:word:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:53 pm

What about dat coolant smell, :doe: ?
That’s what I brought up - he didn’t tell me it was impossible, but since they did fulfill the requirements of the warranty repair diagnostic test, I’m at a standstill for a warranty claim.

He did say to keep an eye on it and let him know if it continues to consume coolant. So, I’ll mark the level in the daylight tomorrow before starting it and monitor it for the next 2 weeks.

Like I said, not terribly worried.
:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Hey guys. Coming here again for advice as a jeep and winter noob. So i am aware that winter salt will destroy my car, so I'd like to know your thoughts on how often i should clean and with what methods (e.g. after every major snow or wait a week in case it comes back).

It also hit me recently that i may not be able to do an auto wash because of the soft top, what do you say?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SaxyJeep wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 pm Hey guys. Coming here again for advice as a jeep and winter noob. So i am aware that winter salt will destroy my car, so I'd like to know your thoughts on how often i should clean and with what methods (e.g. after every major snow or wait a week in case it comes back).

It also hit me recently that i may not be able to do an auto wash because of the soft top, what do you say?

All the bros on here recommend fluid film.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Exten ... pons&psc=1

I have no idea, I live where you can drive a bare metal car without rusting.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SaxyJeep wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 pm Hey guys. Coming here again for advice as a jeep and winter noob. So i am aware that winter salt will destroy my car, so I'd like to know your thoughts on how often i should clean and with what methods (e.g. after every major snow or wait a week in case it comes back).

I bring my :truk: to an auto wash that does the undercarriage after most of the salt is off the road from a storm. Unless another one is only a few days away, then I'll wait.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

If you drove your car in 1 hour of salted roads it’s probably already totaled.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'd get the jeep rust proofed every year. My uncle has a 20 YR OLD rust free CRV that gets sprayed every year, he swears by it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 pm I'd get the jeep rust proofed every year. My uncle has a 20 YR OLD rust free CRV that gets sprayed every year, he swears by it.
Yep, a coating of fluid film once a year will keep it really nice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:52 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 pm I'd get the jeep rust proofed every year. My uncle has a 20 YR OLD rust free CRV that gets sprayed every year, he swears by it.
Yep, a coating of fluid film once a year will keep it really nice.
I had the under carriage sprayed on the gorf this year, but have avoided spraying into door panels etc. On a jeep I'd go with the full service short of letting them drill any holes to access EVERY panel.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Where would you recommend looking to get this done? Or DIY?

Btw installed a dead pedal today... would show pic but turns out my socket wrench is too small so i need to get a new kit or hope i can borrow one x.x
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SaxyJeep wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am Where would you recommend looking to get this done? Or DIY?

Btw installed a dead pedal today... would show pic but turns out my socket wrench is too small so i need to get a new kit or hope i can borrow one x.x
Jeep is tall enough that you can shimmy underneath it, right?
Get a tyvek suit, a face mask, and some safety glasses from Home Depot for like $10 total, get a hand pump garden sprayer thing, fill it with this shit, and just go nuts.

If you need to jack and support the car it gets messier and might be worth going somewhere for this, but otherwise, just spray and pray.

Don't spray brake rotors.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 am
SaxyJeep wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am Where would you recommend looking to get this done? Or DIY?

Get a tyvek suit, a face mask, and some safety glasses from Home Depot for like $10 total, get a hand pump garden sprayer thing, fill it with this shit, and just go nuts.

If you need to jack and support the car it gets messier and might be worth going somewhere for this, but otherwise, just spray and pray.

Sex Ed 101.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 am

Fluid film needs an air compressor, otherwise they sell it in cans, but you'd probably need 6 to cover the entire underside.
max225

Yo @[user not found] is the coolant holding?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:24 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 pm Yo @[user not found] is the coolant holding?
Level hasn't moved.

:iono:

The coolant overflow is not sealed to the atmosphere (just a flip cap), so maybe I'm smelling hot coolant from the overflow?
I have never smelled coolant in the 300. And the level hasn't moved in 2 years... :notsure:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Google rust proofing. We use Rust Check or Krown as go to services. It's messy and I choose to pay the $70 to get it professionally done once a year over spending $70 on supplies to DIY
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:35 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm

I have never smelled coolant in the 300. And the level hasn't moved in 2 years... :notsure:
Is the overflow sealed to the atmosphere?
Looks like it is. I wonder why they used different cooling systems for the same engine. Bizzare