Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am Image

I want wheels lyke dis actually... Didn't realize how expensive they are tho
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 am
Yes.
:[user not found]: ?
I no rite?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 am
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am Image

I want tires lyke dis actually... Didn't realize how expensive they are tho
You're gonna have a bad time.

Tire 101 moment: Get something that's severe winter service rated so that whatever offroad tires you get are actually decent in snow and some ice.

Those KMs are not good in the snow.
In the :jalepenis: amounts we get they are no bueno. If you're in Maine slogging through 12"+ they might be alright.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 am

You're gonna have a bad time.

Tire 101 moment: Get something that's severe winter service rated so that whatever offroad tires you get are actually decent in snow and some ice.

Those KMs are not good in the snow.
In the :jalepenis: amounts we get they are no bueno. If you're in Maine slogging through 12"+ they might be alright.
Zero siping. Tires will be garbage in the snow/ice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I do like how meaty those tires look :doe:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am

KM3's have some siping, along with the Wildpeak MTs.

Wildpeak AT3W's are the tarz you want Saxy.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am Hey Saxy: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 47633.html

Crang him down to $1400 and go get your new wheels and tarz.
:ohdang:

:doit: Saxy.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:56 am I do like how meaty those tires look :doe:
:dat:

They'd be fine for your environ :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 am

AT3W's seem to be all the rage these days.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:00 pm

I like that Reptar bought them for his :truk: then :plac: for :jeep: and I got the tarz.

Fantastic improvement over the stock rubber, especially when it's :moist:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 pm
I like that Reptar bought them for his :truk: then :plac: for :jeep: and I got the tarz.

Wonder how they stack up vs Duratracs. I'm a fan of the Duratracs.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I thought you had a buddy with the silver ZR2 and bronze method's that has the AT3Ws? They should be close competitors.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 pm
I thought you had a buddy with the silver ZR2 and bronze method's that has the AT3Ws? They should be close competitors.
Oh shit, that's right...he did buy AT3Ws. He loves them.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm So, :jeep: is done. Roof seals done, axle seal replaced, turn signal not, and they pressure tested the cooling system and it held pressure overnight.

Perhaps the coolant was just super low when I bought it - he said to keep any eye on it and call him if anything changes.
What about warranty :doe: ?

Neat they got 50% fixed.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm So, :jeep: is done. Roof seals done, axle seal replaced, turn signal not, and they pressure tested the cooling system and it held pressure overnight.

Perhaps the coolant was just super low when I bought it - he said to keep any eye on it and call him if anything changes.
Seems like a :notbad: diller experience?
ChrisoftheNorth

So, not to make you fully :triggered: , but it could be an issue that's popping up only when the radiator is hot. Material expands and the pin hole opens. I learned about this issue talking to a development engineer a few years ago. He said it drove them nuts figuring out how it was losing coolant but passing pressure tests. Turned out it was the radiator expanding a bit when hot.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So the only "real" problem was not addressed?

I thought it was losing coolant and you were "smelling it" ? So either they are completely incapable or you lied to us. Which one is it :waiting:
Last edited by max225 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm So, not to make you fully :triggered: , but it could be an issue that's popping up only when the radiator is hot. Material expands and the pin hole opens. I learned about this issue talking to a development engineer a few years ago. He said it drove them nuts figuring out how it was losing coolant but passing pressure tests. Turned out it was the radiator expanding a bit when hot.
:dat: happened on my Chinese radiator in the crown vic. The second it got hot on the first run it turned into swiss cheese. No visible holes or leaks, but it was completely there when the car is up to temp.

I believe every single repair manual i have ever read asks to bring the car up to temp when looking for leaks.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm

So the only "real" problem was not addressed?

I thought it was losing coolant and you were "smelling it" ? So either they are completely incapable or you lied to is. Which one is it :waiting:
:waiting: :waiting: :waiting:
:waiting: :gonbgud: :waiting:
:waiting: :waiting: :waiting:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pm So, not to make you fully :triggered: , but it could be an issue that's popping up only when the radiator is hot. Material expands and the pin hole opens. I learned about this issue talking to a development engineer a few years ago. He said it drove them nuts figuring out how it was losing coolant but passing pressure tests. Turned out it was the radiator expanding a bit when hot.
:dat: happened on my Chinese radiator in the crown vic. The second it got hot on the first run it turned into swiss cheese. No visible holes or leaks, but it was completely there when the car is up to temp.

I believe every single repair manual i have ever read asks to bring the car up to temp when looking for leaks.
Right, which is why the "held pressure overnight" claim COULD be :bs: If it wasn't up to temp, then they learned nothing.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 pm
Nah, good point.

I've read a little about the radiator issue, and I do recall seeing something about it only doing it when fully up to temp, so I'm gonna request they double check it before I pick it up.

I'm definitely smelling it, and the level is dropping slightly, so it's going somewhere.
Don't pick up the car then. :wtf: Have them fix it, you have like 200 miles of warranty left.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Don't pick up the car then. :wtf: Have them fix it, you have like 200 miles of warranty left.
Yeah, I just called them. Calm your tits. :lol:
:fatty:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Yeah, I just called them. Calm your tits. :lol:
:gonbgud:
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am Hey Saxy: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 47633.html

Crang him down to $1400 and go get your new wheels and tarz.
I am mostly window shopping rn tbh, since I am trying to save a small warchest before I start pumping more money into the :jeep:, good find tho, thanks!

What I really want are the wheels from the pic, I am trying to go for the aggressive black look with little color except small stuff like the American flag stickers.

First "mod" is taking forever to ship. I bought a dead pedal for driver's side, but it's taking forever to ship from quadratec since it's on backorder. :/
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 pm
Nah, good point.

I've read a little about the radiator issue, and I do recall seeing something about it only doing it when fully up to temp, so I'm gonna request they double check it before I pick it up.

I'm definitely smelling it, and the level is dropping slightly, so it's going somewhere.
Come to think about it, that adds context to a lot of problems leading to "the sound/smell never appears when I am at the mechanic...

Are you going to DIY the turn signal [user not found]? Or is it within acceptable usage?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm

I am mostly window shopping rn tbh, since I am trying to save a small warchest before I start pumping more money into the :jeep:, good find tho, thanks!

What I really want are the wheels from the pic, I am trying to go for the aggressive black look with little color except small stuff like the American flag stickers.

First "mod" is taking forever to ship. I bought a dead pedal for driver's side, but it's taking forever to ship from quadratec since it's on backorder. :/

Come to think about it, that adds context to a lot of problems leading to "the sound/smell never appears when I am at the mechanic...

Are you going to DIY the turn signal [user not found]? Or is it within acceptable usage?
I'm going to try to push them to re-test the radiator/cooling system and I'll deal with the turn signal or replace it myself.

Service advisor has definitely cut me straight, just need them to do their due diligence and test the cooling system hot like they should. Pressure testing overnight and seeing no pressure loss means it's not losing coolant when cold/parked. It's happening when it's hot. So, get it hot and re-test.

Troubleshooting 101.
:dat: :popcorn: