Talk British to me: All things MINI

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:56 pm Sup MINI fam. :hai:
Oh my. :wub:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:31 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Sup, not that you wanna hear from me more...

Waiting on my tires... :corona: is not helping... :not sure: if I can actually get them in a reasonable amount of time.
You ever get your sub- :225: rubber?
:215: 's are supposed to arrive today.

BTW get this.. ECS Tuning replied to my thread on NAM, and mentioned that the 17x7.5 1.2's +45mm DO NOT FIT WITHOUT SPACERS... :wtf: yet they are advertising that they do... perhaps whoever is posting on NAM doesn't know wtf they are doing, either way it goes to show the amount of DISINFORMATION, and how hard it has been to find a decent set of wheels and why I gave up on doing so.

I went 215/40/18 vs 205/40/18 stock. and I ended up with Conti summers, sport contact.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:34 pm
:215: 's are supposed to arrive today.

BTW get this.. ECS Tuning replied to my thread on NAM, and mentioned that the 17x7.5 1.2's +45mm DO NOT FIT WITHOUT SPACERS... :wtf: yet they are advertising that they do... perhaps whoever is posting on NAM doesn't know wtf they are doing, either way it goes to show the amount of DISINFORMATION, and how hard it has been to find a decent set of wheels and why I gave up on doing so.

I went 215/40/18 vs 205/40/18 stock. and I ended up with Conti summers, sport contact.
A small bump in thiccness should improve both visual appearances and komfort. Plus more grip.
I hope so... when i put the rear used up run craps, the ride turned horrid, so I flipped em straight to the back again. Tires make a YUGE difference.... I wish I could go 17... but I dont want to deal with all the shit on the way, like spacers etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:52 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 pm

A small bump in thiccness should improve both visual appearances and komfort. Plus more grip.
I hope so... when i put the rear used up run craps, the ride turned horrid, so I flipped em straight to the back again. Tires make a YUGE difference.... I wish I could go 17... but I dont want to deal with all the shit on the way, like spacers etc.
Tires alone will be a massive improvement.
max225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shUzr2E38w

These guys got a R gen GP. Damn it is trashed quite a bit (zillspec nightmare)... 49k miles supposedly, but it looks like it was literally melted under some insane Sahara sun.

my car is currently at 29k, and jesus the differences are enormous.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:51 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shUzr2E38w

These guys got a R gen GP. Damn it is trashed quite a bit (zillspec nightmare)... 49k miles supposedly, but it looks like it was literally melted under some insane Sahara sun.

my car is currently at 29k, and jesus the differences are enormous.
That's going to be interesting to follow.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:55 am

Saved this for watching later, curious to see what they discovered.
Woof. Car definitely whacked around a bit and parked under a magnifying glass.

It'd make a great track car, though.
Did you see their second vid ?

Man i sure love minis. TFL channel is more and more interesting to me as they tend to get/look for unique cars in their line ups
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Did you see their second vid ?

Man i sure love minis. TFL channel is more and more interesting to me as they tend to get/look for unique cars in their line ups
Are they cheap to own? No. Are they a ton of fun? Hell yes.

TFL does do some interesting videos, I watch a lot of their truck comparos.
They are reasonable to own IMO. The cost of ownership for my mini is about 1/3>1/2 to the M3. One can obviously point to the MSRP differences in the vehicle but I am maintaining that my MCJCW is about 80-90% of the fun of the m3 at a HUGE discount.

Oil changes are cheap, ($99) vs $299
tires are $600 vs $1500
Parts are 1/2 cost as well
Service intervals are longer on things like Spark plugs
MPG is about 40% better which is actually not THAT much better, but still a savings
Insurance is 30% cheaper
Registration is 1/2
They are reliable( ish ) since 2015... What's not to like, other than the epic depreciation. That's my number one issue.

And as I said... fun is NEARLY there. However the M3 did command the stranger's respects way more... people really admired that car. People didn't refer to it as a BMW but as to "M3" as if it was its own brand. Same can't be said about the mini.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:05 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm

They are reasonable to own IMO. The cost of ownership for my mini is about 1/3>1/2 to the M3. One can obviously point to the MSRP differences in the vehicle but I am maintaining that my MCJCW is about 80-90% of the fun of the m3 at a HUGE discount.

Oil changes are cheap, ($99) vs $299
tires are $600 vs $1500
Parts are 1/2 cost as well
Service intervals are longer on things like Spark plugs
MPG is about 40% better which is actually not THAT much better, but still a savings
Insurance is 30% cheaper
Registration is 1/2
They are reliable( ish ) since 2015... What's not to like, other than the epic depreciation. That's my number one issue.

And as I said... fun is NEARLY there. However the M3 did command the stranger's respects way more... people really admired that car. People didn't refer to it as a BMW but as to "M3" as if it was its own brand. Same can't be said about the mini.
The fun per dollar is off the charts. Also, yes - compared to an F8x M3/4, cheap to own. :lol:

And I don't really care (within reason) about image. I'm not going to overexpend myself to drive a badge. That being said, I'm not rushing out to buy a Daewoo, either.
:dat: you're driving pretty nice cars breh.

I mean a MINI is not going to be a civic, but it also doesn't drive one like one. To me I look at it in a "fun" spectrum, fun per $ in the mini is nearly impossible to beat.
Unique
really great steering/handling
Cool interior with great quality
Decent mpg
Decent reliability

I mean what else is in this category ? Mini is essentially 1 of 1, a GTI/R comes close which is why there is so much cross shopping between the two. The question becomes are you willing to trade extra back seat/trunk space for extra fun. Considering for now, I don't carry passengers and when I do (Run to airport) the Golf sucked almost as much as the mini as that trunk was impossible to sue for 2 pieces of check in luggage, unlike the M3, which was perfect for 4 people
max225

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 56137.html

So I was randomly looking at minis... and then I see a taco exactly how'd I spec mine in the back.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 56137.html

So I was randomly looking at minis... and then I see a taco exactly how'd I spec mine in the back.
N14 engine :nope:

Still, both Clubman & Taco are :neat:

I really like how the R55 Clubman is a slightly longer Cooper, and not a way bigger model like the current Clubs.

What’s the recommended OBD reader for these?
I’ve heard of Carly but their adapters are $80 and now require a costly subscription (ugh) for anything but reading codes.

Ideally I’d like something that can do a bit of coding e.g. open/close windows and sunroof with remote as well as read real time data like O2 sensors, like OBDeleven for VAG.

Isn’t there something more capable than a chinese $25 Amazon special that isn’t 3 figures?
Carista maybe?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 56137.html

I so very nearly ended up with that color until I saw Cement up close.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Swedish Chef wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:20 pm

I really like how the R55 Clubman is a slightly longer Cooper, and not a way bigger model like the current Clubs.

I’ve heard of Carly but their adapters are $80 and now require a costly subscription (ugh) for anything but reading codes.

Ideally I’d like something that can do a bit of coding e.g. open/close windows and sunroof with remote as well as read real time data like O2 sensors, like OBDeleven for VAG.

Isn’t there something more capable than a chinese $25 Amazon special that isn’t 3 figures?
Carista maybe?
I've got a Carista in my VW. It's not bad. $39.99 a year or $9.99 for a one week pass. They give you a month for free with it if I remember correctly.

Dunno if they work on the coopers :doe:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:02 am
Swedish Chef wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Carista maybe?
I've got a Carista in my VW. It's not bad. $39.99 a year or $9.99 for a one week pass. They give you a month for free with it if I remember correctly.

Gotta research Carista. All I want to do is some simple coding to enable some features, like window up/down via the key fob, that sort of thing. Probably a couple more.
I'd imagine I'd only need it for like a day to do what I want then I'd just let the subscription lapse. Or I could just use it for the free month I guess. What are your impressions of it? Easy to use for a :wap: :derp: ?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

I think my mini does the window thing already.

How is bimmercode ?
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Gotta research Carista. All I want to do is some simple coding to enable some features, like window up/down via the key fob, that sort of thing. Probably a couple more.
I'd imagine I'd only need it for like a day to do what I want then I'd just let the subscription lapse. Or I could just use it for the free month I guess. What are your impressions of it? Easy to use for a :wap: :derp: ?
Yeah. I like it enough. I only used the free trial it came with. I couldn't get my windows to roll down with the remote, but they'll roll up, so I :aintcare: really.

The app was pretty straightforward.
wap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Yeah. I like it enough. I only used the free trial it came with. I couldn't get my windows to roll down with the remote, but they'll roll up, so I :aintcare: really.

:word:
Thanks. Did you code anything else with it? Fogs with brights, or anything else?
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote:
Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:46 pm Yeah. I like it enough. I only used the free trial it came with. I couldn't get my windows to roll down with the remote, but they'll roll up, so I :aintcare: really.

Thanks. Did you code anything else with it? Fogs with brights, or anything else?
The Jetta doesn’t have fogs.

I did try to alter the hill hold assist to make it less annoying, but it didn’t seem to do much.

I changed my lane change blinks too.

All pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm
wap wrote:
The Jetta doesn’t have fogs.

I did try to alter the hill hold assist to make it less annoying, but it didn’t seem to do much.

I changed my lane change blinks too.

All pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool. Thanks.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Can’t go wrong with OBDeleven for those things.

I just placed an order for a Carista so will get back to you.
OBDeleven is still VAG only, which is kind of annoying as I already have one.
wap

Swedish Chef wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Can’t go wrong with OBDeleven for those things.

I just placed an order for a Carista so will get back to you.
OBDeleven is still VAG only, which is kind of annoying as I already have one.
Please do. Thanks!
:popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 pm

I so very nearly ended up with that color until I saw Cement up close.
Can't really go :wrong: here, I love the sand and your color on these.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Had a set of NM Engineering lowering springs fitted together with new Bilstein B4 dampers the other week.

Should’ve settled by now but think I’d like it a tad bit lower. :iono:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 pm Had a set of NM Engineering lowering springs fitted together with new Bilstein B4 dampers the other week.

:dat: two door GTI :doe: , don't see those every day. Roommate?
max225

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 pm Had a set of NM Engineering lowering springs fitted together with new Bilstein B4 dampers the other week.

Looks pretty good. I would say any lowered looks MoDDED for looks and not performance