Talk British to me: All things MINI

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Just looks same to me :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:29 am Just looks same to me :iono:
Me too :sissyfight:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:wrong:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:48 pm
Me too :sissyfight:
:wrong:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I feel like all mid cycle refreshes can only be seen if it’s a car you’ve owned.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:43 am I feel like all mid cycle refreshes can only be seen if it’s a car you’ve owned.
I own and don’t see :doomed:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:43 am I feel like all mid cycle refreshes can only be seen if it’s a car you’ve owned.
:iono:

I’m also obsessed with Mini so I notice the most minute changes.
Yeah it makes sense when it’s a certain car you are a big fan of.

It’s just funny because I turn my head at almost every Mini I see and I think I’d need to see the two side by side.

They both look :megusta: so :whocares:
max225

2009 JCW MINI COOPER

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 55696.html

Dude ... @detroit
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am 2009 JCW MINI COOPER

Dude ... @detroit
FFUUUUUU The wants are real on this one. Deal almost seems too good? I can't imagine this ever being worth less.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:45 am

Dude ... @detroit
FFUUUUUU The wants are real on this one. Deal almost seems too good? I can't imagine this ever being worth less.
This is pretty close to me. And deal doesn’t seem too good. There is no market for these cars anymore here. Anyone who “needed” a car in sf (primary market) moved out and now got something way bigger these are the cheapest vehicles you can currently buy in my area :(

And everyone looking to save “gas” is in a tesla
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:49 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:45 am
This is pretty close to me. And deal doesn’t seem too good. There is no market for these cars anymore here. Anyone who “needed” a car in sf (primary market) moved out and now got something way bigger these are the cheapest vehicles you can currently buy in my area :(

Interesting. Cars like this don't exist here, and the only ones I've seen tend to want $12k+ which makes no sense to me because there's no market for them that I can tell.

This thing is probably the best bang for the buck imaginable in a fun car if you could snag it under $10k. I LOVE R56 JCWs.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:58 am
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:49 am

Interesting. Cars like this don't exist here, and the only ones I've seen tend to want $12k+ which makes no sense to me because there's no market for them that I can tell.

This thing is probably the best bang for the buck imaginable in a fun car if you could snag it under $10k. I LOVE R56 JCWs.
It is dealer maintained ... and has had the chain done. You will never find another at this price point. These are quite rare and will only get rarer as the 4th and 5th owners are essentially running them into the ground by using regular and super tech used oil from Jiffy lube.

I think the minis will probably go the bmw depreciation route. Buy at the bottom and HOLD not like GME :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:58 am

It is dealer maintained ... and has had the chain done. You will never find another at this price point. These are quite rare and will only get rarer as the 4th and 5th owners are essentially running them into the ground by using regular and super tech used oil from Jiffy lube.

I think the minis will probably go the bmw depreciation route. Buy at the bottom and HOLD not like GME :doe:
Man, I dunno. BMWs at least had some aspirational desirability which drives prices up on rare clean examples after they bottomed. Do MINIs have the same? Perhaps a JCW, but not much else I think. And even then, so few people know about JCWs to even impact demand enough to drive the price up.

Of any, this one probably has the most upside opportunity if kept clean and well maintained, but collector values are still all over the place...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011- ... per-jcw-3/
2011 40k miles $15k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008- ... r-works-3/
2008 46k miles $9k

It probably wouldn't lose much value?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I’d hold out for a 2013 R56 JCW for the N18 motor instead of the N14, that’s just me doe.
max225

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:24 pm I’d hold out for a 2013 R56 JCW for the N18 motor instead of the N14, that’s just me doe.
Well priced
Well maintained
Available

:unicorn: because one of the above 3 won’t happen the 09 has all 3
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:24 pm I’d hold out for a 2013 R56 JCW for the N18 motor instead of the N14, that’s just me doe.
This too.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:17 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:06 pm

Man, I dunno. BMWs at least had some aspirational desirability which drives prices up on rare clean examples after they bottomed. Do MINIs have the same? Perhaps a JCW, but not much else I think. And even then, so few people know about JCWs to even impact demand enough to drive the price up.

Of any, this one probably has the most upside opportunity if kept clean and well maintained, but collector values are still all over the place...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011- ... per-jcw-3/
2011 40k miles $15k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008- ... r-works-3/
2008 46k miles $9k

It probably wouldn't lose much value?
How much “cheaper” can it get ? I see it as the absolute bottom. Older minis are far more expensive already. And newer ones are still tiny, and fun. And they are actually usable as a vehicle.

Their numbers are dwindling at a record pace, if I had to guess there are more gen 1s 2s heading to junkyards than gen 3s sold new. Soon enough they will be quite rare
Last edited by max225 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:27 pm
Well priced
Well maintained
Available

:nevermind:
ChrisoftheNorth

Well priced
Well maintained
Available

In my specific case, I'd be in this thing for ~$14k once it was here with a registration in my hand. ~$2k to ship/get it here, ~$600 in taxes/reg.

Makes it :notsure: in an area where people just don't care about these things at all.

Still the temptation is real just from a want perspective.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 pm

Well priced
Well maintained
Available

In my specific case, I'd be in this thing for ~$14k once it was here with a registration in my hand. ~$2k to ship/get it here, ~$600 in taxes/reg.

Makes it :notsure: in an area where people just don't care about these things at all.

How would it be 2k for shipping and $600 to register an old pos. You should be 2k tops for both. Or Make a trip out here and drive it back. Would be quite fun. As you know I bought my mini in Florida. They don’t just pop up like that ... there won’t be one 15 min from your house

That said if you want a mini there is no cheaper way in for what you want, manual, jcw, cheap.

I mean obliviously money isn’t that much of an issue you went through 1/2 the mini in gamestonk and don’t seem to care. A car at least will provide some fun
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 pm

How would it be 2k for shipping and $600 to register an old pos. You should be 2k tops for both. Or Make a trip out here and drive it back. Would be quite fun. As you know I bought my mini in Florida. They don’t just pop up like that ... there won’t be one 15 min from your house

That said if you want a mini there is no cheaper way in for what you want, manual, jcw, cheap.

I mean obliviously money isn’t that much of an issue you went through 1/2 the mini in gamestonk and don’t seem to care. A car at least will provide some fun
Flying out is ~$400, gas back probably $~500, Shipping...I have no idea so I estimated high, but I guess it could be done cheaper. Sales tax depends how much I want to cheat the system. 6% of what I paid, so $600 for $10k. I might be able to cut that in half by claiming I paid $5k for it, but that might be pushing it. They gave me static last time.

I don't care about $10k, but I also don't want to buy a car and be immediately upside down. Gamestonk is a sunk cost (using fake money to me), it's done and no amount of :rage: will change that, but I can learn from that experience and pay closer attention to cost vs profit opportunity.

Frankly, the biggest issue is dealing with a 3rd car at this very moment. :tits: would lose her shit. I need to get the cucktruck and show immense hate for it to get her on the side of a 3rd car.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:16 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Flying out is ~$400, gas back probably $~500, Shipping...I have no idea so I estimated high, but I guess it could be done cheaper. Sales tax depends how much I want to cheat the system. 6% of what I paid, so $600 for $10k. I might be able to cut that in half by claiming I paid $5k for it, but that might be pushing it. They gave me static last time.

I don't care about $10k, but I also don't want to buy a car and be immediately upside down. Gamestonk is a sunk cost (using fake money to me), it's done and no amount of :rage: will change that, but I can learn from that experience and pay closer attention to cost vs profit opportunity.

Frankly, the biggest issue is dealing with a 3rd car at this very moment. :tits: would lose her shit. I need to get the cucktruck and show immense hate for it to get her on the side of a 3rd car.
:tits: is the ultimate variable for sure. Let me know what you think, I have time this weekend and can check it out for ya.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dude ... @detroit
:megusta: :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:16 pm

:tits: is the ultimate variable for sure. Let me know what you think, I have time this weekend and can check it out for ya.
I appreciate it. While the temptation is very real, it's just not the right time sadly. I don't even really have anywhere to put it past April.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:31 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:22 pm

I appreciate it. While the temptation is very real, it's just not the right time sadly. I don't even really have anywhere to put it past April.
:( well I'll keep an eye out.

I have a thing where i just open up craigslist and search within a 150mile area for a "jcw" amazingly... not a single F gen popped up and that R :unicorn: did. I am mainly doing that to see how much I gamestonk'ed my own Mini... I'll keep a lookout going.