Talk British to me: All things MINI

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:58 pm

My update from the cleaning girl today:

-some paint on the walls, tiles and a bed sheet
-large oven element doesn't seem to work
-Rotten bag of potatoes in the lower cupboard, threw out but there is a stain where they sat and it won't come out.

I'll be painting this winter (no surprise)
An investment property like yours is one thing... is put up with the bs.

But when it's your primary residence and people do that shit... :nope:
Yeah I'm glad I'm not near the place nor am I sharing my things. It could be worse for sure. Even just handing over the cleaning is a mental relief.

Still, cars are such a fragile and high risk object to hand over to some n00b from out of town you've never met. Insane!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:58 pm

My update from the cleaning girl today:

-some paint on the walls, tiles and a bed sheet
-large oven element doesn't seem to work
-Rotten bag of potatoes in the lower cupboard, threw out but there is a stain where they sat and it won't come out.

I'll be painting this winter (no surprise)
An investment property like yours is one thing... is put up with the bs.

But when it's your primary residence and people do that shit... :nope:
Yeah I'm glad I'm not near the place nor am I sharing my things. It could be worse for sure, even just handing over the cleaning is a mental relief.

Still, cars are such a fragile and high risk object to hand over to some n00b from out of town you've never met. The drop out rate must be huge, bunch of :derp: trying it out only to have their cars beat to a bloody pulp, :nope:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm
D Griff wrote::tits: and I are taking a weekend trip to the Keys next weekend, picked up a Mini Cooper Coupe on Turo with :manuel:

:popcorn:

Such a weird looking car, she will likely :butwhy: me pretty hard. There was also a four door Cooper S for the same price but they didn't offer airport delivery :disgust:
How the fuck do you have vacation time and money (not to mention NO FUCKS GIVEN ABOUT A FUCKING PANDEMIC) to travel every fucking week? Does your wife actually make millions?
:iono: :alpo: luck I guess?

These are weekend trips, I normally take 0 or 1 day off for them, get 20 per year, which is a pretty good bit. She works at a school, they have a lot of random days off always, but especially this year.

Pandemic wise, we are flying which we probably shouldn't, but it's allegedly pretty safe :ohwell: Other than that we pretty much keep to ourselves and just enjoy being outside in other places and the change of scenery.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:54 pm :tits: and I are taking a weekend trip to the Keys next weekend, picked up a Mini Cooper Coupe on Turo with :manuel:

Such a weird looking car, she will likely :butwhy: me pretty hard. There was also a four door Cooper S for the same price but they didn't offer airport delivery :disgust:
How does Turo work with airport delivery? The owner actually drives the thing to the airport for you to pick up then what...takes a cab home? Seems like a lot of hassle for minimal payback.

Really curious to hear what you think about the Coupe :doe: They're funky and unique...a red one popped up on FB marketplace here with 50k miles for $10k. Seems like a decent value.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2472073574
They basically just drive the car over, head to the normal passenger car pickup area, you take the car from them and then they get home however they see fit. In this case, we paid $35 for this convenience, which is ridiculous. If she gets an Uber both from and back to the airport, that is hours of time and surely more than $35. Or, you have your partner or someone drive you, so waste hours of two people's time. :iono: seems like a terrible business proposition, but not my problem, it is fun to rent random :neat: cars and is only $20 more for three days than a "Nissan Sentra or similar".

As for the Coupe, I sort of think they're ugly and way less utilitarian, I'd rather have a regular MINI, but I imagine they drive about the same, should be fun.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:28 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm

How the fuck do you have vacation time and money (not to mention NO FUCKS GIVEN ABOUT A FUCKING PANDEMIC) to travel every fucking week? Does your wife actually make millions?
:iono: :alpo: luck I guess?

These are weekend trips, I normally take 0 or 1 day off for them, get 20 per year, which is a pretty good bit. She works at a school, they have a lot of random days off always, but especially this year.

Pandemic wise, we are flying which we probably shouldn't, but it's allegedly pretty safe :ohwell: Other than that we pretty much keep to ourselves and just enjoy being outside in other places and the change of scenery.
Flying is pretty cheap these days too. We've flying from Traverse City (small airport) to Orange County, CA for Christmas for $300 round trip. :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:32 am
How does Turo work with airport delivery? The owner actually drives the thing to the airport for you to pick up then what...takes a cab home? Seems like a lot of hassle for minimal payback.

Really curious to hear what you think about the Coupe :doe: They're funky and unique...a red one popped up on FB marketplace here with 50k miles for $10k. Seems like a decent value.

They basically just drive the car over, head to the normal passenger car pickup area, you take the car from them and then they get home however they see fit. In this case, we paid $35 for this convenience, which is ridiculous. If she gets an Uber both from and back to the airport, that is hours of time and surely more than $35. Or, you have your partner or someone drive you, so waste hours of two people's time. :iono: seems like a terrible business proposition, but not my problem, it is fun to rent random :neat: cars and is only $20 more for three days than a "Nissan Sentra or similar".

As for the Coupe, I sort of think they're ugly and way less utilitarian, I'd rather have a regular MINI, but I imagine they drive about the same, should be fun.
Guess you're lucky that people are dumb enough to participate in this so you can keep driving cars.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Guess you're lucky that people are dumb enough to participate in this so you can keep driving cars.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:36 am

:dat: :aintcare:

That red MINI looks pretty nice, only 49K miles. :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:46 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:36 am
:dat: :aintcare:

That red MINI looks pretty nice, only 49K miles. :doit:
Well, like you said, I think I'd rather have a normal hatchback. But I'm curious what you think of the coupe.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:54 pm :tits: and I are taking a weekend trip to the Keys next weekend, picked up a Mini Cooper Coupe on Turo with :manuel:

Fairly :neat: mini. But the drivers and passenger seats look really dirty in such a low mileage car and the obligatory “just got it from the shop” floor mat.

I have noticed something rather interesting about the R gen minis. Maybe because they got so cheap they end up in really random middle of no where places like ranches, sleepy towns etc. way out of their “target” demographic imo.

On a few recent road trips I saw a few in dirt fields etc. completely wild.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:45 am

Fairly :neat: mini. But the drivers and passenger seats look really dirty in such a low mileage car and the obligatory “just got it from the shop” floor mat.

I have noticed something rather interesting about the R gen minis. Maybe because they got so cheap they end up in really random middle of no where places like ranches, sleepy towns etc. way out of their “target” demographic imo.

I'm surprised by how many there are out in the boonies too. It has to come down to the cost of entry being so low. I'm not afraid of a dirty car for a good price, but I'm more concerned about maintenance and upkeep.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:09 am
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:45 am

I'm surprised by how many there are out in the boonies too. It has to come down to the cost of entry being so low. I'm not afraid of a dirty car for a good price, but I'm more concerned about maintenance and upkeep.
I would try to get one from an enthusiast who may charge a bit more but at least you know it ran on appropriate fluids vs Walmart specials. Also you know a guy who is not driving a dirt cheap pepper white mini ;). Make him an offer he can’t refuse
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:28 am
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:13 am

I would try to get one from an enthusiast who may charge a bit more but at least you know it ran on appropriate fluids vs Walmart specials. Also you know a guy who is not driving a dirt cheap pepper white mini ;). Make him an offer he can’t refuse
Define dirt cheap... :notsure:
1/2 of msrp
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 am
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 am
1/2 of msrp
:lolol:

Original MSRP was $25200. I'd say $12600 is a fair price.

I should head out to the garage and work on it today.
What’s on the agenda?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:54 am

What’s on the agenda?
Oh, stuff that I simply just put on the backburner when 2020 hit the fan.

Grille, grille trim, hatch trim, headlights, taillights, driving lights, driving light wiring + connectors, headliner all need to be installed. Need to drop the sunroof and install the sunroof gasket, too.
Damn that’s quite a list. I thought you had the wiring done already ?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:13 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:09 am
It'll probably be quite hard to find an enthusiast willing to sell a car at a reasonable price, but that would be the preference absolutely.

I'm not at all serious about trying to find a car...now isn't the time for a ton of reasons. But it a few years maybe :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:36 am
It'll probably be quite hard to find an enthusiast willing to sell a car at a reasonable price, but that would be the preference absolutely.

I'm not at all serious about trying to find a car...now isn't the time for a ton of reasons. But it a few years maybe :iono:
Just gotta keep a casual eye on the market. Clean R53s are not going to become any easier to come by, FWIW.

I regret buying mine back solely because of what's happened this year. Hindsight is a bitch.
Hindsight always is.

BUT, if you need to off it for various reasons hit me up first.
max225

I have some minor regrets buying the mini, mainly because of depreciation. These things are becoming worthless way too fast, and mine was already slightly less than 1/2 of MSRP when I got it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:57 pm I have some minor regrets buying the mini, mainly because of depreciation. These things are becoming worthless way too fast, and mine was already slightly less than 1/2 of MSRP when I got it.
They've never held value...I think the issue right now is that they're mostly forgotten about while everyone wants bandwagon stuff.

Just need a youtuber douche to buy one and extoll its values of awesome and they'll take off.

They're still super high on my potential fun vehicle list because of the bang for the buck potential.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:57 pm I have some minor regrets buying the mini, mainly because of depreciation. These things are becoming worthless way too fast, and mine was already slightly less than 1/2 of MSRP when I got it.
They've never held value...I think the issue right now is that they're mostly forgotten about while everyone wants bandwagon stuff.

Just need a youtuber douche to buy one and extoll its values of awesome and they'll take off.

They're still super high on my potential fun vehicle list because of the bang for the buck potential.
I just drove mine back to back after the :taco: and its fking EPIC. The big dick motor in a tiny car just makes speed effortless. 90 feels like 50, and the thing just GOES. The selectable exhaust and driving modes are actually quite a treat. The car is basically getting a TUNE when you flip the switch, and it goes from quiet and reserved to a little pocket rocket with crackles, pops etc. I literally have a user selectable straight pipe.

Also have no rugrats on the Auto. You go through the gears too quickly, and you'd lose focus on the drive. 5/7 would recommend still.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 pm

I just drove mine back to back after the :taco: and its fking EPIC. The big dick motor in a tiny car just makes speed effortless. 90 feels like 50, and the thing just GOES. The selectable exhaust and driving modes are actually quite a treat. The car is basically getting a TUNE when you flip the switch, and it goes from quiet and reserved to a little pocket rocket with crackles, pops etc. I literally have a user selectable straight pipe.

Also have no rugrats on the Auto. You go through the gears too quickly, and you'd lose focus on the drive. 5/7 would recommend still.
Sounds so :megusta:
max225

I semi wish some of us were closer. It sucks that most of us are 500miles+ apart, would be fun to trade vehicles for a bit, and it may actually curtail the :plac:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:05 pm I semi wish some of us were closer. It sucks that most of us are 500miles+ apart, would be fun to trade vehicles for a bit, and it may actually curtail the :plac:
Yea, that would be super cool.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:I semi wish some of us were closer. It sucks that most of us are 500miles+ apart, would be fun to trade vehicles for a bit, and it may actually curtail the :plac:
:gtfo: with that kommunist talk.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm
max225 wrote:I semi wish some of us were closer. It sucks that most of us are 500miles+ apart, would be fun to trade vehicles for a bit, and it may actually curtail the :plac:
:gtfo: with that kommunist talk.
I trust you guys with my vehicles, as opposed to some random cuck from Turo.