Talk British to me: All things MINI

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:35 pm

I thought you were moving to America, not France. Get a god damn truck
:truk: :truk: :truk:
:truk: :truckyeah: :truk:
:truk: :truk: :truk:

:gay:
Not fucking bad
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 pm

:gay:
Ok.

I like this guy.
:dat:
He should stick around.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Can't believe nobody has said get a :truk: until now

:gaydance:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:42 pm Can't believe nobody has said get a :truk: until now

:gaydance:
Going from European to :truk: is a huge step. It took me at least 9 cars to get to that point. Gotta ease into it.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:35 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Ok.

I like this guy.
He should stick around.
So far so :impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I think you should get either
A) f10 535i
B) dodge charger r/t, has same 8 speed as above and from an older mercedes chassis w211 i think

Those will help to adapt into a truck and coming from someone who drove dat 535 vs ford expedition regularly back to back at one point
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 pm I think you should get either
A) f10 535i
B) dodge charger r/t, has same 8 speed as above and from an older mercedes chassis w211 i think

Those will help to adapt into a truck and coming from someone who drove dat 535 vs ford expedition regularly back to back at one point
N54?
How bad was it?

I believe it was the earlier, pre 8-speed, that shared platform with the W211, while the current ones are on a heavily redesigned version.

It has to be the 392, doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

One of my good friends has a 2011 Mini non S, he bought it new and has put over 150k miles with minimal issues, the only very annoying thing was some :bs: where he had to replace the passenger seat due to some sensor problems?

It's a really fun car that's surprisingly spacious inside, quite efficient, looks decent.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:02 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 pm I think you should get either
A) f10 535i

N54?
How bad was it?

I believe it was the earlier, pre 8-speed, that shared platform with the W211, while the current ones are on a heavily redesigned version.

It has to be the 392, doe.
535 is n55 and my mother used to have it for 5 years and 60k miles. Nothing went wrong with the engine and trans, but due to the long hood, i found it a little harder to park than a ford explorer. For its size its pretty nimble.

I had a v6 charger as a rental and it pretty much felt like a lowered dodge ram, i would never imagine to have one if i drive on narrow dc streets on a regular basis and park. But a really nice cruiser though. Yes id get the 392 if i have the money, i may suggest looking at used/cpo chrysler 300 392 as luxo brands depreciate faster.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I don't think the 300srt got the updated uconnect?
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I test drove a F55 (ew, 5-door) Cooper S today and dang, I’ve fallen for them again.

It felt so good driving something small and fun again after a year of shit steering feel and tall & soft suspension (see BMW xDrive).
I’d never grow tired of the exhaust burbles & pops either.

Now I’d need a Rebel green JCW 3-door.

Last edited by Swedish Chef on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:21 pm I test drive a F55 (ew, 5-door) Cooper S today and dang, I’ve fallen for them again.

It felt so good driving something small and fun again after a year of shit steering feel and tall & soft suspension (see BMW xDrive).

I had so much fun in the base clubman loaners I've had before. Flat foot that 3-cyl everywhere. :plaid: :stig:

:notsure: if I could MINI again :doe:
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:22 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:21 pm I test drive a F55 (ew, 5-door) Cooper S today and dang, I’ve fallen for them again.

I had so much fun in the base clubman loaners I've had before. Flat foot that 3-cyl everywhere. :plaid: :stig:

:notsure: if I could MINI again :doe:
I just remembered I had a brand new soft top with a 3-cyl Auto last year and you’re right, even those are fun.
It would even burble and pop a bit on overrun and upshifts.

Why couldn’t you do Mini again? Where did it hurt you?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 pm

Why couldn’t you do Mini again? Where did it hurt you?
I couldn't do it again because of the pricing. In the US, a well equipped model that is like for like with my GTI is well over $34-35k - easily a $5k MSRP premium, not even factoring in the steeper dealer discounts and manufacturer incentives.

We obviously had back luck with ours with the accident, too.
Apex

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 pm Why couldn’t you do Mini again? Where did it hurt you?
In the wallet. I've owned a R53 and R56 at this point. Both were great cars, very different from each other.
Just :notsure: if I would want to own a third? If I did I would look at how much GP2s were going for, or maybe go to a F56 JCW depending on what the car was going to be used for.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:01 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 pm Why couldn’t you do Mini again? Where did it hurt you?
In the wallet. I've owned a R53 and R56 at this point. Both were great cars, very different from each other.
Just :notsure: if I would want to own a third? If I did I would look at how much GP2s were going for, or maybe go to a F56 JCW depending on what the car was going to be used for.
A new, 2019 JCW is north of $40k and a quick check shows many over $45-46.

You're talking Golf R, Focus RS... even stripper Audi S3 territory.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:01 pm

No fucking way would I go new. I saw a 2016 F56 JCW at Mt. Laurel for like 22k a few weeks ago? That doesn’t seem horrific to me.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:02 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 pm

No fucking way would I go new. I saw a 2016 F56 JCW at Mt. Laurel for like 22k a few weeks ago? That doesn’t seem horrific to me.
New Mini pricing is :fullretard:

Had a quick look on the US site and was surprised even a sparsely equipped S is in the low 30s.
Here they start at 6-7k below a GTI as comparison.

Used ones are where the :dill: are to be had.

I think I’d personally would have to go S but this with a remap will put it at 1st gen Cooper S power while returning 40mph Highway.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:04 am
Swedish Chef wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:08 am

New Mini pricing is :fullretard:

Had a quick look on the US site and was surprised even a sparsely equipped S is in the low 30s.
Here they start at 6-7k below a GTI as comparison.

Used ones are where the :dill: are to be had.

I think I’d personally would have to go S but this with a remap will put it at 1st gen Cooper S power while returning 40mph Highway.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
I'd go with a 3-cylinder with the right options. I love that engine, and the fuel economy is fantastic.
BRG, LEDs and sport seats and I’d say that thing is pretty much set.
Hell, I even like the Loop Spoke wheels.

Shame about the lack of Visual Boost (I think?) as it has the basic stereo HU.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Swedish Chef wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:21 pm I test drove a F55 (ew, 5-door) Cooper S today and dang, I’ve fallen for them again.

I like them. Got close to buying one. They have a lot of personality and character. I would absolutely cross shop with a GTI and Civic Si though.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:17 am

I like them. Got close to buying one. They have a lot of personality and character. I would absolutely cross shop with a GTI and Civic Si though.
Really depends on what he's looking for - the MINI has more character. The GTI has more refinement. The Civic has... a limited slip.

The F5x generation of MINIs really seems to be pretty reliable and trouble-free. Knock on wood, of course, but the wife has 65k on her F56 Koopa and we've owned it since 6500 miles. I've only put 2 sets of tires on it and brakes and oil changes.
This would be the main reason why I’d get one over an R56, which I otherwise prefer.

BMW’s B48, similar to VAG’s EA888 Gen 3, have proved to hold up really well and they’ve both done a good job ironing out all DI related issues that plague their respective predecessors.
Unfortunately the N18 is one of these and although it’s better than the N13, it has its issues.

GTI is a safe bet but I think I’d like to try something different and slightly less sensible this time around.
K24 Civic? Eh, aren’t the earlier ones with “true” VTEC K20 the fun ones?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:17 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Really depends on what he's looking for - the MINI has more character. The GTI has more refinement. The Civic has... a limited slip.

The F5x generation of MINIs really seems to be pretty reliable and trouble-free. Knock on wood, of course, but the wife has 65k on her F56 Koopa and we've owned it since 6500 miles. I've only put 2 sets of tires on it and brakes and oil changes.
This would be the main reason why I’d get one over an R56, which I otherwise prefer.

BMW’s B48, similar to VAG’s EA888 Gen 3, have proved to hold up really well and they’ve both done a good job ironing out all DI related issues that plague their respective predecessors.
Unfortunately the N18 is one of these and although it’s better than the N13, it has its issues.

GTI is a safe bet but I think I’d like to try something different and slightly less sensible this time around.
The 10th gen si (2017 and up) is a 1.5t so no vtec. About as quick as a mk6 GTI. @dgriff test drove one, had a mk6 GTI, now has a 328i msport as a daily and :poorvette: judging by the size, i doubt its just as or remotely close to fun as the mini.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Swedish Chef wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:34 pm Really depends on what he's looking for - the MINI has more character. The GTI has more refinement. The Civic has... a limited slip.

06-11 Si is the fun one.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:09 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 am 06-11 Si is the fun one.

Also pretty simple, bulletproof, and light.

I'd avoid the new 1.5T Honduhs - lots of issues with fuel diluting the oil.
And there goes the reliability out the window
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I love it. That is all.