The Grand Tour: All systems are go!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am

SF, Boston, AND Manhattan can fit within Detroit city limits. All the techbro jobs in the world couldn't fill this place.
SF has only had “tech” jobs for the last 5-8 years. I’m talking pay area which is a more fair comparison. Sf is a tiny city area wise. You can walk across it in 1.5 hrs
This is just the city limits of Detroit, the metro area is huge outside of it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SF, Boston, AND Manhattan can fit within Detroit city limits. All the techbro jobs in the world couldn't fill this place.
SF has only had “tech” jobs for the last 5-8 years. I’m talking pay area which is a more fair comparison. Sf is a tiny city area wise. You can walk across it in 1.5 hrs
DC is also a pretty tiny city as well as area distance is concerned. to go across, atleast 6 miles to go across.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 am
It’s kind of like LA here, la proper is small, but la metro
Is 20 million people
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 am
DC is also a pretty tiny city as well as area distance is concerned. to go across, atleast 6 miles to go across.
Most cities are.

And that's why Detroit will never fully recover. It's too massive. If you're going to live that far from downtown, better off in a suburb where taxes are less, better city services, and no urban decay.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:56 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 am
Is 20 million people
LA is ridiculous. It's just non stop urban sprawl.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:56 am

Is 20 million people
LA is ridiculous. It's just non stop urban sprawl.
:dat: is exactly my point. Not like google, fb, ntflx and apple are HQed in sf.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am SF, Boston, AND Manhattan can fit within Detroit city limits. All the techbro jobs in the world couldn't fill this place.
Pretty crazy. And now the population in Detroit's city limits is at or under 700k. No wonder Detroit is broke...there's no way that few people, 90% of whom are impoverished, can maintain 140 square miles of infrastructure and services.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:00 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am SF, Boston, AND Manhattan can fit within Detroit city limits. All the techbro jobs in the world couldn't fill this place.
Pretty crazy. And now the population in Detroit's city limits is at or under 700k. No wonder Detroit is broke...there's no way that few people, 90% of whom are impoverished, can maintain 140 square miles of infrastructure and services.
EXACTLY
max225

Sf can’t do it with the most epic taxes in the nation. Crooks are gonna crook, polititians ...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 am

Sf can’t do it with the most epic taxes in the nation. Crooks are gonna crook, polititians ...
Epic taxes? You pay 1 point fucking 1 percent property tax on an assessed value that is nowhere near the real market value. If by most epic you mean lower than fucking hell, then yeah...
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 am

Epic taxes? You pay 1 point fucking 1 percent property tax on an assessed value that is nowhere near the real market value. If by most epic you mean lower than fucking hell, then yeah...
That’s not the sole revenue. SF adds 3% to all food sold in the city, on top of 10% sales tax, epic hotel taxes, every company making over 100m is paying 1% of their income into the city, health care taxes for operating within the city limits etc.

It is insane
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:47 am

If it was filled with useless tech jobs it would not have enough space like us here. We’re completely out of space...

Whoa. :mindblown:

Just the images of those abandoned, crumbling factories is :disgust: Maybe the land should be sold for a song to an agribusiness company like ADM or Del Monte. Del Monte has a yuuge factory in a small town in central Illinois and it's surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of acres of farmland. They grow corn, beans, carrots, etc and can them in the factory. 2 or 3 plants like that aught to use up a fair amount of real estate on the outskirts of Mahtroit and generate decent tax revenue.

I'm sure my idea is completely 100% :fullretard: dumb and :wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 am

Just the images of those abandoned, crumbling factories is :disgust: Maybe the land should be sold for a song to an agribusiness company like ADM or Del Monte. Del Monte has a yuuge factory in a small town in central Illinois and it's surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of acres of farmland. They grow corn, beans, carrots, etc and can them in the factory. 2 or 3 plants like that aught to use up a fair amount of real estate on the outskirts of Mahtroit and generate decent tax revenue.

The problem is that when those factories were built, there was ZFG about the environment. As a result, they're INSANELY expensive to clean up and tear down. There's just no reason for a company to do that when they can go to central IL, or even central MI and get what they need for next to nothing.

A dude bought the Packard plant a while ago (much of the GT stuff was shot there because he rents it out to movie/tv production companies for income), and he's promising to turn it into lofts, retail, restaurants, etc, etc. The cost of getting it there is ~$30M. Worse is that the Packard plant is in a terrible area, so even if it does get fixed up, nobody's going to want to pay :waxer: prices to live there.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 023252002/

We'll see if he makes it. He'll be the first to turn an abandoned plant into something.
max225

30 million sounds super cheap to make a sodasopa in dt. Seems like a 0 may be missing
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am 30 million sounds super cheap to make a sodasopa in dt. Seems like a 0 may be missing
I believe $30M is just the first phase of clean-up and getting some part open... :millennial: Brewery or something .

I thought I heard that the total cost is estimated to be $300M or something over 15 years of development.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am 30 million sounds super cheap to make a sodasopa in dt. Seems like a 0 may be missing
I believe $30M is just the first phase of clean-up and getting some part open... :millennial: Brewery or something .

I thought I heard that the total cost is estimated to be $300M or something over 15 years of development.
Spot on then yup
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am
wap wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 am

The problem is that when those factories were built, there was ZFG about the environment. As a result, they're INSANELY expensive to clean up and tear down. There's just no reason for a company to do that when they can go to central IL, or even central MI and get what they need for next to nothing.

A dude bought the Packard plant a while ago (much of the GT stuff was shot there because he rents it out to movie/tv production companies for income), and he's promising to turn it into lofts, retail, restaurants, etc, etc. The cost of getting it there is ~$30M. Worse is that the Packard plant is in a terrible area, so even if it does get fixed up, nobody's going to want to pay :waxer: prices to live there.

We'll see if he makes it. He'll be the first to turn an abandoned plant into something.
Yeah. :( It was the first industry I thought of that would use a large amount of land.
I knew I was :wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am

Yeah. :( It was the first industry I thought of that would use a large amount of land.
I knew I was :wrong:
IN THEORY it makes perfect sense. If the buildings weren't a toxic wasteland, it seems like a great opportunity to repurpose the buildings for indoor year-round agriculture. They do that in Canada with greenhouses/tents now, would make perfect sense.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:29 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:31 am

:triggered:
Yep. You get one life on this rock, don't spend it pointing out other's hardships, making fun of that, and rubbing it in their face by landing a helicopter and leaving.
Screw Americans, they're British, that's what they do.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Look at Houston, it's fucking bigger than LA by land.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm

:dat:

I mean, :wasteful: works for a damn petroleum company.

Don't throw molotovs off a crude storage tank breh.
During the last 5 years I've developed a major internal moral conflict with working at the refinery. I'm the guy that walks to the store with 4 of my own canvas bags so I'm not using gas or generating needless landfill waste. We compost and recycle everything we can. We stopped getting Blue Apron deliveries because of how much waste each box came with. I absolutely hate getting cheap shit gifts that I know will end up in a landfill in 20 minutes. And I'm starting to really despise how much fuel/emissions my car generates needlessly while Lisa's car can putt around on electrons for 15 minutes circling looking for parking.

I dunno. But I'm not parading a multi million dollar camera crew around pure poverty and hard living where people die of starvation and disease on the regular, and setting up a table to sell dead diesel smoke and mud caked fish as a "humanitarian aid" attempt for the lolz of millions of people everywhere, landing a helicopter and saying it's hopeless, and taking off.

We did Hello Fresh for a while until I got tired of essentially the same concepts, what I considered to be suspect meat quality.....and the packaging. An epic carboard box thick enough to ship a case of wine, and all of those freezer bags, styrofoam, etc. OBSCENE amount of waste because we're too lazy to meal plan? Why don't I just remove all the cats from my vehicles and pour used motor oil and coolant down the sewer drains while I am at it?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

We used to recycle until we realized not having crotchfruit makes us among the cleanest lifelong households in America. Now everything goes in the trash and I drive around all day :burnout: with my catless :poorvette: ZFG.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's also more expensive to charge the Volt at home than it is to put gas in it, so when I can't charge at my company that's committed to an all EV future with its 5 always occupied fast charging spots in a 10 story parking garage, I just run on dyno.

:aintcare:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:47 am

If it was filled with useless tech jobs it would not have enough space like us here. We’re completely out of space...

Wild. Land wise, Philly is similar. But we have double the people. And its still poor asf and crumbling. :mindblown:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:38 pm It's also more expensive to charge the Volt at home than it is to put gas in it, so when I can't charge at my company that's committed to an all EV future with its 5 always occupied fast charging spots in a 10 story parking garage, I just run on dyno.

:aintcare:
Someone recently showed the calculations for EV vs gas in NY and it definitely costs less to burn gas unless you drive a :truk: or :wankel: - it kinda killed my thoughts of grabbing a cheapass Volt/Leaf/i3 for use around town to see that a Focus is cheaper.