Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My car is covered in bugs and paint chips as well. Daily :poorvette: life
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 am My car is covered in bugs and paint chips as well. Daily :poorvette: life
I hear dat, twas my daily for four years, although I was never home to drive it, so not too much worse for the wear.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:54 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 am My car is covered in bugs and paint chips as well. Daily :poorvette: life
I hear dat, twas my daily for four years, although I was never home to drive it, so not too much worse for the wear.
This is my car's third full month on the road in my ownershit and it'll hit 52k miles tomorrow. I bought it with 48,2XX. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:54 pm

This is my car's third full month on the road in my ownershit and it'll hit 52k miles tomorrow. I bought it with 48,2XX. :like:
:notbad:

I'm at 108k... totaled :triggered:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm

You made it much farther before needing an oil pressure sensor though
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm

You made it much farther before needing FOUR oil pressure sensors though
:dat:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:37 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 am

You made it much farther before needing FOUR oil pressure sensors though
:dat:
My ebcm module failed at 20k miles, my hatch bubbled at 40k, my suspension bolt snapped at 45k miles, my rear end was leaking at 49k miles. Dat gm quality :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Doz Cali roads shook it all up
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I think that I might just get a base C5/C6 coupe next year and jack the ride height all the way up ZFG. Plastic doesn't rust, right?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm I think that I might just get a base C5/C6 coupe next year and jack the ride height all the way up ZFG. Plastic doesn't rust, right?
It's all plastic and aluminum. There's really not much to rust.

Nice C5's will be sub-$10k soon.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm I think that I might just get a base C5/C6 coupe next year and jack the ride height all the way up ZFG. Plastic doesn't rust, right?

I can't tell you how many I've seen pop up on Facebook sale groups lately. It's a buyers market in the C5 groups because there's so many to choose from. You can get a twin turballz setup for $15. Let ole boy take the hit on that install and you reap all the rewards.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:08 pm

I can't tell you how many I've seen pop up on Facebook sale groups lately. It's a buyers market in the C5 groups because there's so many to choose from. You can get a twin turballz setup for $15. Let ole boy take the hit on that install and you reap all the rewards.
In this case, I'm the ole boy lighting $5k on fire for heads/cam/clutch/gearz/etc, but it just makes the car stay around longer.

Indeed, the C5 market is tanking. Great time to be a buyer, and hold as an owner. These things are going to get destroyed by kids soon, the ones left in good shape in 3-5 years will be moderately desirable I hope.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:

The frame is still steel on C5 and all C6's except for the C6Z06, but that's really more car than I want. I'm torn between the C5 and C6 Z51. The 6 looks way better but costs more and has worse autox classing and a smaller hatch area. Dunno, it's probably a dumb idea either way vs an ATS/FRZ that's a 21st century design... I like the targa :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:29 pm
Detroit wrote: It's all plastic and aluminum. There's really not much to rust.

The frame is still steel on C5 and all C6's except for the C6Z06, but that's really more car than I want. I'm torn between the C5 and C6 Z51. The 6 looks way better but costs more and has worse autox classing and a smaller hatch area. Dunno, it's probably a dumb idea either way vs an ATS/FRZ that's a 21st century design... I like the targa :doe:
Yea, the "frame" is steel (really just a structure that plastic is screwed to), but there's really not much of that in a place to be exposed to rust since plastic surrounds most of it.

I know, I'm :gay: but I have the targa top off my car every day I drive it and it's not raining. I love the targa top and wish it was a feature on more cars. I also prefer the C5 design over the C6 Z51.
troyguitar

If the Mustang and Camero still offered hatchbacks and T-tops, they'd be amazing.

That being said, something like 95-98% of my driving is done on cruise control at 75 mph in a straight line. I don't know if I'd really use a targa enough for it to matter. I shouldn't care about dynamics at all and should roll in a base A4 with an upgraded stereo. :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 pm If the Mustang and Camero still offered hatchbacks and T-tops, they'd be amazing.

That being said, something like 95-98% of my driving is done on cruise control at 75 mph in a straight line. I don't know if I'd really use a targa enough for it to matter. I shouldn't care about dynamics at all and should roll in a base A4 with an upgraded stereo. :fullretard:
If the Gen 6 Camaro was a hatch, I'd own one right now. No doubt.

Don't you already have the ideal highway cruiser?
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 pm If the Mustang and Camero still offered hatchbacks and T-tops, they'd be amazing.

If the Gen 6 Camaro was a hatch, I'd own one right now. No doubt.

Don't you already have the ideal highway cruiser?
Yep. I'm just bored already after finding that I can't outsmart the stability control. Gotta stick it out through at least next year, sadly.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

There's a guy here that drives his C6Z in the winter and tows his snowmobile trailer with it. Tows his ski boat in the summer too.

I also find that where I have my seat, my car is quieter on the highway with the windows down than with them up (top off). All the air just goes right behind my head, but I do sit pretty close.

I'm getting a C6 after my car.
ChrisoftheNorth

My car is also a bit quieter with the top off and windows down that windows up with top off. I love having the top off.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:00 pm There's a guy here that drives his C6Z in the winter and tows his snowmobile trailer with it. Tows his ski boat in the summer too.

I also find that where I have my seat, my car is quieter on the highway with the windows down than with them up (top off). All the air just goes right behind my head, but I do sit pretty close.

:mahtroy: :mahtroy: :mahtroy:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:00 pm There's a guy here that drives his C6Z in the winter and tows his snowmobile trailer with it. Tows his ski boat in the summer too.

:impressive:

I know that I'm :wrong: but I don't really want the wide body or to pay for big tires. That's easily double the cost or more vs running 17s on a C5. The C6Z roof doesn't come off either.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:19 pm

I know that I'm :wrong: but I don't really want the wide body or to pay for big tires. That's easily double the cost or more vs running 17s on a C5. The C6Z roof doesn't come off either.
I like the way the wide body looks, but I too wouldn't want the giant wheels and high tire cost. I ruled out C5/6 Z06's because of the non-removable roof too.

C5 base or C6 base LS3 (08+) is the way I'd go.
troyguitar

If I were actually in a position to buy something, I'd be looking at one like this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5 ... se-va.html

Z51 coupe, low miles but not so low to be expensive, no mods, not black inside or out. One could DD that thing for a decade ZFG and it'd depreciate less than $1k annually, with cheap 17" tarz, cheap insurance, and decent fuel economy. It's what I should have bought in the first place instead of my Z06.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:06 pm If I were actually in a position to buy something, I'd be looking at one like this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5 ... se-va.html

Z51 coupe, low miles but not so low to be expensive, no mods, not black inside or out. One could DD that thing for a decade ZFG and it'd depreciate less than $1k annually, with cheap 17" tarz, cheap insurance, and decent fuel economy. It's what I should have bought in the first place instead of my Z06.
Oh wow, this is nice. These things are tanking. This would have been an easy $17k+ car last year.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:19 pm

I'm with you I want a LS3 Z51 car with transparent roof