Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:49 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:39 pm I bought my brub with 48k miles and I think it's at 63k now. Not bad considering I can only use it 6mo a year. I've been having stupid thoughts about buying another pair of 18x10.5 speedlines for the frontand then having the centers powdercoated white. I'm on a white wheel kick right now
What do you mean by the centers? Just the center caps...?
The spokes, and potentially the stepped part of the barrel they meet at.

Like how I did my subie wheels.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:35 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:22 pm

Well the 450 was during the VID. But yeah, sure I should use it more. On the other hand, it's a nice thing kept nice and I enjoy it when I do. I have four paid for vehicles, my buddy the car dealer (you met in SF) is currently driving a leased 2019 Tahoe Premier, blue with Cocoa interior, 6.2/10 speed. 11K miles. Lease is up in Feb 2022. Will likely buy it from him. That's the wife's next car, old Tahoe goes to MX. The Wette will go one of two ways, as a trade on a used 911 (less likely) or a trade on a Jeep or a Truk (more likely.) I've looked at that Defender too but that engine will be an unholy disaster out of warranty so nah.
Have you driven the new gen Tahbro? My friend was about to buy a '18 Denali XL for his wife, but they made the mistake of driving the new one with IRS, and they couldn't buy the old one after that.
I'm not going to pay 80 grand for a truck. I'm more of a lightly used 40-50 grand truck guy. If the IRS makes the 2018-2020 depreciating oxcarts, so much the better. Keep in mind we're coming from a GMT800 with Bilstein HD shocks. The 2019 will be plenty plush. We'll see how much my friend wants for his when the lease ends. There are very few 2018-2020 Tahoes with the 6.2, most are found in Yukon Denalis. Once you cull all the black, red and white Denalis, and toss all the ones with the black or cream interior, you've cut like 80% of the available trucks out. So it's a more limited market than it might seem for what I want.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Have you driven the new gen Tahbro? My friend was about to buy a '18 Denali XL for his wife, but they made the mistake of driving the new one with IRS, and they couldn't buy the old one after that.
I'm not going to pay 80 grand for a truck. I'm more of a lightly used 40-50 grand truck guy. If the IRS makes the 2018-2020 depreciating oxcarts, so much the better. Keep in mind we're coming from a GMT800 with Bilstein HD shocks. The 2019 will be plenty plush. We'll see how much my friend wants for his when the lease ends. There are very few 2018-2020 Tahoes with the 6.2, most are found in Yukon Denalis. Once you cull all the black, red and white Denalis, and toss all the ones with the black or cream interior, you've cut like 80% of the available trucks out. So it's a more limited market than it might seem for what I want.
Blue over brown with 6.2 does indeed sound pretty perfect. I think if I was going to be a truck guy, a Tahoe would be rather high on the list. They are comfy and nice, somewhat discreet, sound good, powerful, and can tow without riding like shit.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Blue over brown with 6.2 does indeed sound pretty perfect. I think if I was going to be a truck guy, a Tahoe would be rather high on the list. They are comfy and nice, somewhat discreet, sound good, powerful, and can tow without riding like shit.
The fuel mileage is atrocious but not to this forum. We have lots of Truk and Jeep loving peeps who don't think twice that their modern vehicle gets the same gas mileage as a69 Chrysler Newport despite gas costing 10 times as much as it did in 1969. Because we like to sit up high and be butch.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

For all of you following the riveting story of the front suspension rattle in the GS, it was indeed a loose FSB. Issue resolved.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm For all of you following the riveting story of the front suspension rattle in the GS, it was indeed a loose FSB. Issue resolved.
free.99 fix ?Those are the best
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:42 pm

The fuel mileage is atrocious but not to this forum. We have lots of Truk and Jeep loving peeps who don't think twice that their modern vehicle gets the same gas mileage as a69 Chrysler Newport despite gas costing 10 times as much as it did in 1969. Because we like to sit up high and be butch.
In the year 1969, the average retail price of gas in the U.S. was $0.35. This is equivalent to $2.53 in 2020 dollars.
Same price same shit. We like to be :wasteful: and gas is cheap.
https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/i ... as-in-1969
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:51 pm

In the year 1969, the average retail price of gas in the U.S. was $0.35. This is equivalent to $2.53 in 2020 dollars.
Same price same shit. We like to be :wasteful: and gas is cheap.
https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/i ... as-in-1969
:dat: and even wasteful vehicles are far better now, both of the cars I own are totally :butwhy: and still deliver MPG in the 20s. 1960s muscle cars were single digit MPG machines.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm For all of you following the riveting story of the front suspension rattle in the GS, it was indeed a loose FSB. Issue resolved.
:nice: glad that was an easy fix.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:50 am
:nice: glad that was an easy fix.
:dat: :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

and FWIW, I'm sick of shitty fuel efficiency.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:21 pm
free.99 fix ?Those are the best
Yep just had to get my old man ass on the concrete.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:32 am and FWIW, I'm sick of shitty fuel efficiency.
I guess I'm sick of not going anywhere where my cars can shine. The B58 can actually get 30s in MPG at 75 mph if you nurse it. BUT I just drive it to work and get teens. MBZ capable of high 20s, also a townie car.
Corvette is a Smithsonian piece and as we all know in city mileage is atrocious, 6th gear mileage is pretty good. What car do I take on the road? The only one that gets high teens highway mileage, the Brahhoe.

After reading Max's electric cars are for chumps thread and hearing about the Fledmaster's magical Corolla, I kind of want one to blow by gas stations and avoid kicking the planet with a steel toed jackboot.
ChrisoftheNorth

If I end up doing a lot of highway miles, I'll be making a case to get a small/cheap/efficient appliance. I'd want something a little more fun like a MINI :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:12 pm If I end up doing a lot of highway miles, I'll be making a case to get a small/cheap/efficient appliance. I'd want something a little more fun like a MINI :doe:
Yeah I kinda want a MINI too.

I really want a GR Yaris.

I probably average mid teens in my Corvette now as a rarely drive but when I do it’s mostly city, if I get out of the city I always flog it because I rarely get the opportunity to do so.

:ohwell: I still only fill it monthly or so.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

One of my headlight bulbs is super dim/burning out...

Anyone have any luck with improved bulbs or headlights on C5s? I don’t want to blow $700 or anything on this, but would be willing to unload a couple hundo for improved results.

Night driving isn’t getting any easier with me getting older and everyone else’s SUV HIDs shining directly in my eyes in the Corvette.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth

I think Alan had those in the first link on his. I personally wouldn't waste time dealing with the headlights unless you're replacing the housing.

I was intrigued by the "lazy eye" projector type kits personally.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Alan had radio flyer lights IIRC which were higher end. Those first ones look like the lights I got from :mahtroy:

Putting cheap HID housings in does some weird stuff. The headlights go up like normal, but to make them go down again you need to push the stalk forward after turning the lights off. Also you better wire up the low/high relay or hold the stalk between lows and highs while the highs power up, or you're in the dark for 5-10s.

Edit: those ones in the first link are HID low only it seems which would actually be better than what I have now. I'd give those a shot honestly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:17 am Alan had radio flyer lights IIRC which were higher end. Those first ones look like the lights I got from :mahtroy:

Putting cheap HID housings in does some weird stuff. The headlights go up like normal, but to make them go down again you need to push the stalk forward after turning the lights off. Also you better wire up the low/high relay or hold the stalk between lows and highs while the highs power up, or you're in the dark for 5-10s.

Edit: those ones in the first link are HID low only it seems which would actually be better than what I have now. I'd give those a shot honestly.
Interesting... seems like maybe it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

May just try this as the seemingly cheap and easy route https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Don't think anyone cares :lolol: but I decided to go the more :scrooge: route and just give the 9011 bulbs a try. It should be a nice improvement and I don't drive much at night anyway. Plus, with :plac: thoughts clouding my brain, dropping four hundo seems questionable.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:55 pm Don't think anyone cares :lolol: but I decided to go the more :scrooge: route and just give the 9011 bulbs a try. It should be a nice improvement and I don't drive much at night anyway. Plus, with :plac: thoughts clouding my brain, dropping four hundo seems questionable.
Why buy anything?

I debated this in my C5, but then realized that I drove at night so rarely that it just didn't matter. The few times I did, the candles were sufficient enough, especially if you live in an area with street lights.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:55 pm Don't think anyone cares :lolol: but I decided to go the more :scrooge: route and just give the 9011 bulbs a try. It should be a nice improvement and I don't drive much at night anyway. Plus, with :plac: thoughts clouding my brain, dropping four hundo seems questionable.
Why buy anything?

I debated this in my C5, but then realized that I drove at night so rarely that it just didn't matter. The few times I did, the candles were sufficient enough, especially if you live in an area with street lights.
One of them is seriously :flaccid: dim, I don't think I've ever replaced them in seven years of ownershit?

I'll probably end up driving the stupid thing for five more years anyway, I am :scrooge: and always talk myself out of :plac:

That said, I spoke with the wife about it last night and amidst the usual "you barely drive, you love the Corvette" blah she seemed pretty OK with getting something new.

I did show her the GR Yaris and she was very :fuckyeah: to discover it's not available in the US. She really does not enjoy hatchbacks for whatever reason. I think she'd be OK with a GTI or something more "classy" but she thinks hatches are poverty spec.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:56 pm
Why buy anything?

One of them is seriously :flaccid: dim, I don't think I've ever replaced them in seven years of ownershit?

I'll probably end up driving the stupid thing for five more years anyway, I am :scrooge: and always talk myself out of :plac:

That said, I spoke with the wife about it last night and amidst the usual "you barely drive, you love the Corvette" blah she seemed pretty OK with getting something new.

I did show her the GR Yaris and she was very :fuckyeah: to discover it's not available in the US. She really does not enjoy hatchbacks for whatever reason. I think she'd be OK with a GTI or something more "classy" but she thinks hatches are poverty spec.
Mine hates everything and goes full :triggered: :sass: as soon as I even mention looking at anything. You at least have a jumpstart.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I need a proper full clutch flush. It's sticking to the floor more than usual and not going down. I to the Ranger-Acid method too. Shove a tube down as far as I can and push fluid into the master and it'll force all the black shit back up the reservoir.