Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:29 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:27 am Image
What clutch are you going with?
OEM. All parts I'm replacing are OEM or rebuilt OEM. I'm never doing any performance mods to this car other than possibly 4.10s so I don't need anything more than a stock clutch.

New clutch/flywheel
New clutch slave/speed bleeder
Lingenfelter clutch return spring
New harmonic balancer
New a/c compressor

Parts and labor is running me about $4k
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:56 am

OEM. All parts I'm replacing are OEM or rebuilt OEM. I'm never doing any performance mods to this car other than possibly 4.10s so I don't need anything more than a stock clutch.

New clutch/flywheel
New harmonic balancer
New a/c compressor

OEM LS6 or LS7 clutch?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:00 pm

New clutch/flywheel
New harmonic balancer
New a/c compressor

OEM LS6 or LS7 clutch?
A C5 clutch whether it's Z or not idk. The car is like 800mi away and has been for months I wasn't going to be picky about what I got I just wanted it done and to work. I haven't driven it for a year and I really want to.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think OEM LS6 is all thats left for a stock C5. It's a fine unit for a stock car, but be mindful of the flywheel if changing it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

New clutch/flywheel
New harmonic balancer
New a/c compressor

I thought the price was high until I realized you're doing front end work too. When I did my harmonic balancer all that shit in the front has to come out just to gain access to it. Steering rack comes out thru the wheel well, radiator removed and ac condensor gets tilted to the side. Lot of work.
I think towards the end of the year I'll do the clutch and all the other upgrades to mine. I kinda look forward to doing work on it. It's nice when you can pace yourself and let it sit for a week or two if you're not in a rush. That's what I did with the headers. Got frustrated so I just walked away and came do a few more hours worth of work a week later and it was kind of chill.
ChrisoftheNorth

New clutch/flywheel
New harmonic balancer
New a/c compressor

I'm really surprised they didn't drop the engine and front subframe with everything else to get to the balancer and compressor. Makes every individual job way easier.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:52 pm

New clutch/flywheel
New harmonic balancer
New a/c compressor

I'm really surprised they didn't drop the engine and front subframe with everything else to get to the balancer and compressor. Makes every individual job way easier.
Maybe they did. That's just the first and only picture I got when they started working on it.

Also the service advisor took it home last night to make sure everything is good. He mentioned my oil pressure gauge not working, which reminded me I have a new sensor in the glove box I forgot to tell them about.

:lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:59 pm
Maybe they did. That's just the first and only picture I got when they started working on it.

Also the service advisor took it home last night to make sure everything is good. He mentioned my oil pressure gauge not working, which reminded me I have a new sensor in the glove box I forgot to tell them about.

:triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

If they didn't take the engine out, the oil pressure sensor wasn't a "while they were in there" job. Intake manifold removal is required to do that job right. Not that big of a deal, really.
ChrisoftheNorth

I replaced mine while I had the engine out, put it back together and the new sensor was faulty. Took the manifold off and put the old one back on and it worked fine through when in I sold it. :iono:
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:28 am

If they didn't take the engine out, the oil pressure sensor wasn't a "while they were in there" job. Intake manifold removal is required to do that job right. Not that big of a deal, really.
Yeah that's a little bit of work but it ain't horrible. I got my intake manifold removal time down to about 10 minutes because I had to do it more than a couple of times. There's guys that say you can get that sensor out with a couple of wobble joints and a deep socket, but you need ferret hands and a back pocket full of 4 letter words. Just so much easier to remove the manifold
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I just meant while they were already working on it really. The dude is a Corvette master tech I'm sure the OPS isn't a big job for him, and could probably do it blindfolded with one hand.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:39 am
Yeah that's a little bit of work but it ain't horrible. I got my intake manifold removal time down to about 10 minutes because I had to do it more than a couple of times. There's guys that say you can get that sensor out with a couple of wobble joints and a deep socket, but you need ferret hands and a back pocket full of 4 letter words. Just so much easier to remove the manifold
I don't believe anyone that claims they can get the OPS out without removing the manifold. Even if they did, getting the new one installed would be impossible.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:58 am

I don't believe anyone that claims they can get the OPS out without removing the manifold. Even if they did, getting the new one installed would be impossible.
It isn't like removing the intake on an LS is a big deal, anyways. You don't have any water ports, you don't have any paper gaskets, and you don't have to deal with a distributor.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:34 am
It isn't like removing the intake on an LS is a big deal, anyways. You don't have any water ports, you don't have any paper gaskets, and you don't have to deal with a distributor.
Exactly. It's not a hard job at all. I can have it off a Corvette in under 20 minutes.
Acid666

Obviously we're all retarded dumbasses when all you need to do is cut a hole thru the fiberglass. DUH
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:45 pm
Obviously we're all retarded dumbasses when all you need to do is cut a hole thru the fiberglass. DUH
:disgust: this always made me :lolol:

It would take longer to cut a hole in the fiberglass than to take the intake off. People are idiots.
Huckleberry

People have been doing that for years. It's dumb since the oil pressure sender isn't that frequent of a problem and LS intakes aren't a big deal to pull.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: I had to do it many times, I went through like 4+ OPS. The first time it was annoying and took a while, once you've done it a handful of times it's :notbad: Even the first time you could do it at home in less than one working day (I am pretty slow and everything goes :wrong: when I work on cars).
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:18 am

People have been doing that for years. It's dumb since the oil pressure sender isn't that frequent of a problem and LS intakes aren't a big deal to pull.
I think it's done out of :rage: because new sensors have such a high DOA rate. Dan went through multiples, I went through one, people go through all the effort of removing the intake for the first time, putting it back together and it's still fucking broken. Instead of taking a step back and realizing the intake is NBD, out comes the Dremel/sawzall/grinder.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:18 pm

I think it's done out of :rage: because new sensors have such a high DOA rate. Dan went through multiples, I went through one, people go through all the effort of removing the intake for the first time, putting it back together and it's still fucking broken. Instead of taking a step back and realizing the intake is NBD, out comes the Dremel/sawzall/grinder.
Yep. I've been there before, except it was a fuel pump on a 3rd Gen. The tanks aren't the easiest to drop since you need to lower the rear and exhaust, and thanks to the solid filler neck, you still have to take it out at a precise angle, which has to be even more precise going back in.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:18 pm

:dat:

I had the OE one fail, got a DOA OEM one (you don't know until it's all back together). I returned it and got another OEM one, it shit the bed after 60ish days. Most recently I put in a Bosch unit that has been good for over a year now and counting :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Still though, dremeling up the body of your car is a really fucking bad reaction to the :rage:

Like... :bruh: have a beer or something and get back at it tomorrow :wtf:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:55 pm Still though, dremeling up the body of your car is a really fucking bad reaction to the :rage:

Spoken like someone who’s never sawzall’d a car into thirds and dumped them in construction site dumpsters…
Acid666

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:55 pm Still though, dremeling up the body of your car is a really fucking bad reaction to the :rage:

Spoken like someone who’s never sawzall’d a car into thirds and dumped them in construction site dumpsters…

Lol a few months ago I put pieces of Miata motors in my trash because I couldn't give them away, and it wasn't worth the effort or cash to drop them off at the metal scrap place. So one week I put the head, week later it was several intake manifolds. Then finally a block and oilpan sandwiched between a bunch trash bags full of other stuff. I nearly lost sleep debating if I should go and take it out, but nope.... 6am I heard the trash truck's brakes in front of my house. I stuck my head over my headboard like it was christmas morning and watched that robotic arm man handle that trash bin like it was a roll of toilet paper. No sound, no nothing. I was afraid it would drop it in an empty container and *BOOOOOOOM* that bitch.
Then it was back to bed.