Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 am
You could totally replace the clutch yourself. But if you're doing that, you're taking the torque tube, trans, and diff out. I'd HIGHLY recommend taking the diff out yourself and just dropping it off at the shop for rebuild and gears. Then you're not paying their labor, and is likely closer to $1k total cost. A basic LS7 clutch and remote bleeder is "only" ~$400 or so.

Do it in your new carport and drive the BMW while the car is down.
Probably a :notbad: idea. Welcome myself to the new neighborhood with a car on jackstands for two weeks :megusta:
:dat:

Good news is between myself, :melon: , and :fax: (who I think helped :melon: ) you have a TON of virtual support for this job. it's really not that bad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 am If these guys do this much volume, they certainly know what they're doing which is awesome. I wonder if they rebuild for distributors. I'd have a hard time believing they have that many people coming to them for diff rebuilds.
Charlotte is the racing capital of the US.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Yeah, if you were close I would totally help you with the install.
It's really not bad, just a little awkward with the torque tube and all.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 am If these guys do this much volume, they certainly know what they're doing which is awesome. I wonder if they rebuild for distributors. I'd have a hard time believing they have that many people coming to them for diff rebuilds.
True...but I don't really associate Corvettes with "racing"...more NASCAR. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

True...but I don't really associate Corvettes with "racing"...more NASCAR. :iono:
Old redneck NASCAR fans like them. Plus lots of club type stuff around here, several trackdaybro locations in the region, all of the folks who work in the sport, many of whom like 'murica sports cars.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 am
Old redneck NASCAR fans like them. Plus lots of club type stuff around here, several trackdaybro locations in the region, all of the folks who work in the sport, many of whom like 'murica sports cars.
:notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 am Yeah, if you were close I would totally help you with the install.
:wub:

Fortunately I have a few friends around here who are definitely happy to help out.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 am
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:04 am Yeah, if you were close I would totally help you with the install.
:wub:

Fortunately I have a few friends around here who are definitely happy to help out.
Probably for the best, all my shit is leaking now. :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth

It can be done on your own successfully.

When I put mine up on the lift when I sold it, I (and the buyer) were amazed by how dry everything was. Zero leaks anywhere...and I had plenty to fix.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:17 pm It can be done on your own successfully.

When I put mine up on the lift when I sold it, I (and the buyer) were amazed by how dry everything was. Zero leaks anywhere...and I had plenty to fix.
My car is cursed. The RMS, that I know I fucked up, the rest are much "Oh come on!"
I replaced the same type of seals on many other cars with no issues.
:rage: inducing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:17 pm It can be done on your own successfully.

My car is cursed. The RMS, that I know I fucked up, the rest are much "Oh come on!"
I think it's been well established that your car is cursed for some reason. Nothing went easy on it.

Sad because it's so pretty.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:16 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:15 pm

I think it's been well established that your car is cursed for some reason. Nothing went easy on it.

The pretty ones always need the most work.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 pm

:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 pm

:tits:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

Acid666 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:05 am
Purpc5z wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:16 am took ye old :poorvette: out to the backroads this sunday with some fast friends of mine. I'm going to autox this Saturday so I decided more seat time was in order.

any driving critque is appreciated. I'm still getting used to it.

Post a video of your run(s) and I'll help you out. Try to get a camera angle showing your hands and forwards. I put my camera on the b pillar behind my head. My main thing is I need to see where my hands are and be able to see over the glass where I can see the course. Search acidbath666 on YouTube and you'll find all my autox clips.

Much appreciated!
I'll def post my runs on Sunday after I race! Already subscribed to you. I've def seem them rips!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:26 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:05 am

Post a video of your run(s) and I'll help you out. Try to get a camera angle showing your hands and forwards. I put my camera on the b pillar behind my head. My main thing is I need to see where my hands are and be able to see over the glass where I can see the course. Search acidbath666 on YouTube and you'll find all my autox clips.

Much appreciated!
I'll def post my runs on Sunday after I race! Already subscribed to you. I've def seem them rips!
:mahtroy: usually has some great feedback as well.

I found the C5 o be a lot harder to autox than other cars I've owned... they are fast but not easy to drive on tight courses, so don't get discouraged if it takes a few outings to start to get the hang of it.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am
Purpc5z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:26 am

Much appreciated!

I found the C5 o be a lot harder to autox than other cars I've owned... they are fast but not easy to drive on tight courses, so don't get discouraged if it takes a few outings to start to get the hang of it.
I don't plan on setting any records out there. Just heading out so i can get a benchmark of where I'm at with this car. I'll be running crap street tires, might not even change the brakes.
Should be fun :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

It's a long shot but does anyone have polished centercaps?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 am It's a long shot but does anyone have polished centercaps?
Nah, I roll poverty-spec without center caps... only ones I have are the bronze 50AE ones. Detroit had polished poverty spokes originally I think?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am

I don't plan on setting any records out there. Just heading out so i can get a benchmark of where I'm at with this car. I'll be running crap street tires, might not even change the brakes.
Definitely fun! I wouldn't sweat the brakes for this one, I don't even change mine to track.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:35 am
Purpc5z wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 am

Definitely fun! I wouldn't sweat the brakes for this one, I don't even change mine to track.
these brakes have been on since :mahtroy: had the car. lmaoooooo :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 am It's a long shot but does anyone have polished centercaps?
Nah, I roll poverty-spec without center caps... only ones I have are the bronze 50AE ones. Detroit had polished poverty spokes originally I think?
Yea, I did. I sold the center caps with the wheels when I sold them :doe:

I do believe I have one center cap still kicking around somewhere, from the cracked wheel that I replaced and scrapped. One is better than none? I can throw it in a padded envelope and ship it out if you want.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 am

I do believe I have one center cap still kicking around somewhere, from the cracked wheel that I replaced and scrapped. One is better than none? I can throw it in a padded envelope and ship it out if you want.
Does it have the black and white logo in the middle? My front two are held in by Teflon tape and I couldn't even build up enough tape to keep my rears in. I'll check FB or something for a pair or set but if I can't find any I'll let you know. Thanks
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:41 am

Does it have the black and white logo in the middle? My front two are held in by Teflon tape and I couldn't even build up enough tape to keep my rears in. I'll check FB or something for a pair or set but if I can't find any I'll let you know. Thanks
IIRC, the logo is colored. Black with red flags. I'll look for it tonight to take a photo.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Maximum saturation because fall and years old Android phoneImage

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk