Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote:My tires are on their last leg. They're sliding around a lot more. Good news is that it's controllable like a wicked drift. Bad news is that it just ain't gripping.
I'm on the fence about slicks for a season. Price is high, and they wear quicker. Right now I'm more inclined to drop my money into the Lemons car and the Meowta but I'm really debating hard on some Hoosiers
Used hoosiers.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:25 am My tires are on their last leg. They're sliding around a lot more. Good news is that it's controllable like a wicked drift. Bad news is that it just ain't gripping.
I'm on the fence about slicks for a season. Price is high, and they wear quicker. Right now I'm more inclined to drop my money into the Lemons car and the Meowta but I'm really debating hard on some Hoosiers
:doit:

I'm actually cosidering jumping over to autox in 2021. Trackdaybro is fun as hell but I kind of want to compete in something and club racing is a rich man's game.

My 30,000 foot view of tracking is
1) I'm weary of putting the C5 on the track due to A) the wear and tear (because I'll want to do it a lot), and B) the costs to run.
2) Our Lemons car might be our way of getting more track time in a dedicated car that we don't really worry so much about.
We have 2 engines, one black top and one silvertop. The black is a hot rodded motor, silver is just a more powerful stock setup. For Lemons we will likely run the Silvertop, and then for the rest of the year we think we'll run the hot rod black top and autocross it and do some TNIA and other stuff for fun. It'll be cool to build one from the ground up and we can get our seat time in that way. That's kind of the plan on paper for now. The C5, I love, but I kinda get Alan's vibe of driving something else for my kicks for a bit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 am

:doit:

I'm actually cosidering jumping over to autox in 2021. Trackdaybro is fun as hell but I kind of want to compete in something and club racing is a rich man's game.

1) I'm weary of putting the C5 on the track due to A) the wear and tear (because I'll want to do it a lot), and B) the costs to run.
2) Our Lemons car might be our way of getting more track time in a dedicated car that we don't really worry so much about.
We have 2 engines, one black top and one silvertop. The black is a hot rodded motor, silver is just a more powerful stock setup. For Lemons we will likely run the Silvertop, and then for the rest of the year we think we'll run the hot rod black top and autocross it and do some TNIA and other stuff for fun. It'll be cool to build one from the ground up and we can get our seat time in that way. That's kind of the plan on paper for now. The C5, I love, but I kinda get Alan's vibe of driving something else for my kicks for a bit.
I think your plan is pretty awesome. I'd love to do Lemons but I don't think I have the wrenching abilities and dedication you do to make it happen.

If you are ever offing the C5 though, at least do a few TNIA before walking away, it is really great in that environment and TNIA is easy and fun. At my level with the 17" tarz, the consumables arenot THAT awful.

200TW street tires last 10ish events + street driving.
DustTech pads last 5ish events plus street driving.
Rotors... jury is out on this one, I've just gotten some free replacements from Advance :lolol:

Most things are proving to be pretty darn durable, but it does add up for sure.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 am

I think your plan is pretty awesome. I'd love to do Lemons but I don't think I have the wrenching abilities and dedication you do to make it happen.

If you are ever offing the C5 though, at least do a few TNIA before walking away, it is really great in that environment and TNIA is easy and fun. At my level with the 17" tarz, the consumables arenot THAT awful.

200TW street tires last 10ish events + street driving.
DustTech pads last 5ish events plus street driving.
Rotors... jury is out on this one, I've just gotten some free replacements from Advance :lolol:

Most things are proving to be pretty darn durable, but it does add up for sure.

Oh I intend on doing it at least once in the C5, I'm just not in a rush to do it.
If you're interested in my tire life numbers for autocross, you can check my chart. I got 158 runs out of the smaller RE-71Rs, and I'm nearing 130 on the 315 Rivals but they lost their competitive edge about 20 runs ago. They just don't bite like they should. (I did rotate them every 2 months or so)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

henlo frenz. Im bck for good now. Did I miss anything good?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Purpc5z wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:10 pm henlo frenz. Im bck for good now. Did I miss anything good?
[user not found] sold a car, bought another car. sold a jeep bought a jeep.

I got a Miata

coogles is still in denial he needs a :minivan:

gberg went :fullretard: and traded his unfixable :gorf: for another newer :gorf:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:15 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:10 pm henlo frenz. Im bck for good now. Did I miss anything good?

I got a Miata

gberg went :fullretard: and traded his unfixable :gorf: for another newer :gorf:
:minivan: :disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 pm

I got a Miata

:hai:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I got a Miata

so, more of the usual then.. Noice
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:27 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 pm

:hai:
:howdy:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah: :hai:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Someone help me drop it in?

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In C5 land I am doing a refresh of my :poorvette:

New tie rods, ball joints, DRM Bilsteins, grounds, power steering cooler, fluids, some gaskets, rebuilding calipers, etc.

Nothing too exciting but it should be greatly improved chassis-wise when I'm finally done. The damn ball joints can fucking blow me.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am

New tie rods, ball joints, DRM Bilsteins, grounds, power steering cooler, fluids, some gaskets, rebuilding calipers, etc.

Nothing too exciting but it should be greatly improved chassis-wise when I'm finally done. The damn ball joints can fucking blow me.
what tie rods are you going to use? I have to do the same thing to my :poorvette: in the next week or so.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am

what tie rods are you going to use? I have to do the same thing to my :poorvette: in the next week or so.
I bought the Moog shit, kind of pricey but most of it is US made and high quality. It came recommended from other track day folks.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:01 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm

I bought the Moog shit, kind of pricey but most of it is US made and high quality. It came recommended from other track day folks.
I had Moog outer tie rods on the front of mine, they are indeed good quality parts.

Caliper rebuild is a good idea too. Pretty easy, and it improved the braking performance a tad on mine. SS lines of you haven't done them yet either.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

P0103 maf code popped up leaving work today. The car jerked like the tcs slammed the brakes then the CEL came on. Rained heavy all morning and my AFE intake puts the maf right below the hood/bumper gap :popcorn:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

has anyone done the "batwing" lower oil pan? I'm going to do one in the next few weeks. I need to know if I have to actually lift the engine and/ or drop the front cross-member.

Of course, the CF is filled with mixed answers.
Acid666

Purpc5z wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm has anyone done the "batwing" lower oil pan? I'm going to do one in the next few weeks. I need to know if I have to actually lift the engine and/ or drop the front cross-member.

I thought all the C5s had the batwing pan? I just thought it described it since it flares out to the sides.
I had to cut the corner of mine to get the headers in.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Acid666 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 am
Purpc5z wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm has anyone done the "batwing" lower oil pan? I'm going to do one in the next few weeks. I need to know if I have to actually lift the engine and/ or drop the front cross-member.

I thought all the C5s had the batwing pan? I just thought it described it since it flares out to the sides.
they do! I just need to confirm if I have to do a whole lotta work or can just snag a few bolts off and swip swap a new gasket on.

Also, what headers do you run? I've yet to hear of any C5z guys cutting their oil pans for this :notsure:
Acid666

Purpc5z wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 am

they do! I just need to confirm if I have to do a whole lotta work or can just snag a few bolts off and swip swap a new gasket on.

Also, what headers do you run? I've yet to hear of any C5z guys cutting their oil pans for this :notsure:
I have the XS Power headers. There's plenty of people that have had to cut theirs, but it's not like a massive chunk of metal or anything. They (like me) only have to cut a small 1/4" or so notch out of the outmost corner just to get the headers to clear for lifting them into place. A simple dremel cut in there is all you need.
It depends on the brand tho since they're all shaped a little bit differently.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Acid666 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 pm

I have the XS Power headers. There's plenty of people that have had to cut theirs, but it's not like a massive chunk of metal or anything. They (like me) only have to cut a small 1/4" or so notch out of the outmost corner just to get the headers to clear for lifting them into place. A simple dremel cut in there is all you need.
It depends on the brand tho since they're all shaped a little bit differently.
Gotcha! Hopefully, i don't have to do the same. I just got a set of LG Motorsports headers for basically free.99
ChrisoftheNorth

Wait...what's wrong with the oil pan? Oil leaks are very rarely the oil pan. Mine appeared to leak, but it was a combination of the front main seal, rear main seal, and oil pressure sensor. Those leaked down the oil pan and made it look like it was leaking when it wasn't.

If you insist in doing the oil pan gasket, the engine has to come out, or the subframe has to be dropped to get to the upper bolts. Dropping the subframe isn't a big deal, but I'd be looking at other sources of oil leaks first. Would suck to go through the effort of changing the gasket and it still leaks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am Wait...what's wrong with the oil pan? Oil leaks are very rarely the oil pan. Mine appeared to leak, but it was a combination of the front main seal, rear main seal, and oil pressure sensor. Those leaked down the oil pan and made it look like it was leaking when it wasn't.

If you insist in doing the oil pan gasket, the engine has to come out, or the subframe has to be dropped to get to the upper bolts. Dropping the subframe isn't a big deal, but I'd be looking at other sources of oil leaks first. Would suck to go through the effort of changing the gasket and it still leaks.
The batwing oil pan looks pretty accessible. Have you had to replace it as well?
I've had the car up in the air a couple times, and every time I see oil coming from what looks like the lower "batwing" oil pan.

Video for reference.
https://i.imgur.com/uLznpjn.mp4

At this point, I had already sprayed the pan down to get all the oil off. There was also a solid drip coming from the oil filter housing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am Wait...what's wrong with the oil pan? Oil leaks are very rarely the oil pan. Mine appeared to leak, but it was a combination of the front main seal, rear main seal, and oil pressure sensor. Those leaked down the oil pan and made it look like it was leaking when it wasn't.

The batwing oil pan looks pretty accessible. Have you had to replace it as well?
I've had the car up in the air a couple times, and every time I see oil coming from what looks like the lower "batwing" oil pan.

Video for reference.
https://i.imgur.com/uLznpjn.mp4

At this point, I had already sprayed the pan down to get all the oil off. There was also a solid drip coming from the oil filter housing.
I did not replace the oil pan...no need. But I have separated the drivetrain from the body...trust me...the oil pan is not an easy job, unless you're just talking about the lower pan...which isn't your problem.

That looks to me like your oil pressure sensor is leaking. It's on that side of the engine, and when it leaks it trickles down the back/driver side of the block and collects on the bat wing and oil filter...which makes it look like the oil pan. Have you done the oil pressure sensor yet? If not, it might be worth taking the intake manifold off to get a good look at it and check for leaks. That's WAY easier than dropping the subframe and far more common. I've never heard of a C5 oil pan or gasket failing without impact or something.