Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm
To where people would prefer an LS3?

:wat:

Seems to me that the "valve issue" is just a great excuse to have some head work done.

After the way my LS1 responded to heads, that's absolutely where I'd spend money before a cam.
I think it is more along the lines of buying a car expecting that you'll be spending money and time on the heads off the bat versus just buying a car and not immediately tearing into the motor to fix a known issue.

I know I would be negotiating some cash off the former's price.
True. I would too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I want an 09-13 Z51 with a 4.8 crank and shorter final drive plus half of the shit that I did to my C5Z. Clear roof, 7500 RPM V8 noises, pretty much as good as it gets in a front engine car.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:00 pm I want an 09-13 Z51 with a 4.8 crank and shorter final drive plus half of the shit that I did to my C5Z. Clear roof, 7500 RPM V8 noises, pretty much as good as it gets in a front engine car.
What's the resulting displacement of a 6.2 with a 4.8 crank? That's rather interesting.

Also, my favorite mod to the C5 was the shorter final drive. Made the car an absolute riot.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

IIRC it's like a 5.4, same size pistons just de-stroked significantly.

I'd need to look at the ratios again but I might not even want a C6Z51 trans since the gears are further apart just like the C5Z06. I definitely wouldn't want the heavy Z51 brakes, would 5/7 buy the same Wilwood package I had on my car instead.

All of this just to get a small-ish RWD car with clear roof and decent cargo space. It's too bad nobody makes a basic targa/t-top coupe anymore... They were everywhere ~30 years ago before the market abandoned fun in place of magazine numbers and :truk: :truk: :truk:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:30 pm IIRC it's like a 5.4, same size pistons just de-stroked significantly.

I'd need to look at the ratios again but I might not even want a C6Z51 trans since the gears are further apart just like the C5Z06. I definitely wouldn't want the heavy Z51 brakes, would 5/7 buy the same Wilwood package I had on my car instead.

All of this just to get a small-ish RWD car with clear roof and decent cargo space. It's too bad nobody makes a basic targa/t-top coupe anymore... They were everywhere ~30 years ago before the market abandoned fun in place of magazine numbers and :truk: :truk: :truk:
This is the issue. But it's harder to quantify "fun" than real numbers...so that's what goes into development.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:03 pm Aren't all C6Z cars targa? I would also go Z06 as they seem to be less money than a GS. If I ever dumped the 5, I think I would go for a C6Z.
C6Z is hardtop because full race.
:themoreyouknow:

I guess C7Z is when they brought the targa out for it. :ohwell:

I personally think the C7 is just ugly and wouldn't want a supercharger really, I guess that's why C6GS are still :waxer: , they kinda tick all the boxes better than any other model. The targa is indeed enjoyable. Even left on, I love the extra light with the see-through top.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:21 pm

:themoreyouknow:

I guess C7Z is when they brought the targa out for it. :ohwell:

I personally think the C7 is just ugly and wouldn't want a supercharger really, I guess that's why C6GS are still :waxer: , they kinda tick all the boxes better than any other model. The targa is indeed enjoyable. Even left on, I love the extra light with the see-through top.
I should have sprung for the C6Z but mileage for mileage they were $10K more at least AND you have to add $3K for head work on the 427 to avoid dem dropped valves. I am in the minority who doesn't care about the targa roof, definitely would never buy a convertible, and even the clear targa roof....eh, I'd take the displacement and 65 hp. Still happy with my pick though. The car I still covet is the C6ZR1 but that thing still brings all the money.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:03 pm Aren't all C6Z cars targa? I would also go Z06 as they seem to be less money than a GS. If I ever dumped the 5, I think I would go for a C6Z.
Dis.

All but the C6Z, and ZR1, and 'verts.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

C7 GS intrigues me on paper.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:55 pm C7 GS intrigues me on paper.
Yeah C7 haters are ignoring the solid production numbers driving down prices AND despite being a little tighter, C7 has seats designed to retain your body in turns over .2g. C7 Competition Seats are :muah:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I saw a Carlisle blue C6 ZR1 last week.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:30 pm IIRC it's like a 5.4, same size pistons just de-stroked significantly.

This is the issue. But it's harder to quantify "fun" than real numbers...so that's what goes into development.
Most of the people who want something similar to what I want have simply given up on sportiness and bought a :jeep: wrangler.

I need at least base Corolla levels of ride, handling and responsiveness :doe:

What I do not need or even want is 500+ hp or sub-8-minute nurburgring times.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 pm
Yeah C7 haters are ignoring the solid production numbers driving down prices AND despite being a little tighter, C7 has seats designed to retain your body in turns over .2g. C7 Competition Seats are :muah:
Have C7 prices come down? Last I looked they hadn't really. 5/7 would C7.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm
Detroit wrote: This is the issue. But it's harder to quantify "fun" than real numbers...so that's what goes into development.
Most of the people who want something similar to what I want have simply given up on sportiness and bought a :jeep: wrangler.

These days, there's so few places to actually enjoy a car like that that a Wrangler can get you most of the fun without the hassle.

Now that I live in an area with twisty roads that aren't all beat to shit, I sure do miss having a fun car. Maybe one day again...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:08 pm I saw a Carlisle blue C6 ZR1 last week.
Not my favorite color but :jimp:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 pm

They were and then the great COVID used car uptick began. According to ebay I can sell my C6GS for pretty much what I bought it for 5 years ago.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm Most of the people who want something similar to what I want have simply given up on sportiness and bought a :jeep: wrangler.

These days, there's so few places to actually enjoy a car like that that a Wrangler can get you most of the fun without the hassle.

Now that I live in an area with twisty roads that aren't all beat to shit, I sure do miss having a fun car. Maybe one day again...
You can have a fun car that's not a hassle if it's built like a regular fucking car instead of chasing lap times. My car, at full stock ride height, is totally fine over garbage roads.

I drove it yesterday on random country dirt and gravel roads in search of an apple orchard with cider and donuts. It was fun - but with TRD springs or a big fart can or some stupid lip spoiler it would have bottomed out multiple times. In between the two orchards I got to wind it out on a TOTD-style tight winding valley road that would have been :disgust: :butwhy: in some stupid truck.

The world isn't a racetrack or an off-road park. Build us some fucking cars for the spectrum in between.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm
Detroit wrote: These days, there's so few places to actually enjoy a car like that that a Wrangler can get you most of the fun without the hassle.

You can have a fun car that's not a hassle if it's built like a regular fucking car instead of chasing lap times. My car, at full stock ride height, is totally fine over garbage roads.

I drove it yesterday on random country dirt and gravel roads in search of an apple orchard with cider and donuts. It was fun - but with TRD springs or a big fart can or some stupid lip spoiler it would have bottomed out multiple times. In between the two orchards I got to wind it out on a TOTD-style tight winding valley road that would have been :disgust: :butwhy: in some stupid truck.

The world isn't a racetrack or an off-road park. Build us some fucking cars for the spectrum in between.
Can't disagree with any of this.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 pm
They were and then the great COVID used car uptick began. According to ebay I can sell my C6GS for pretty much what I bought it for 5 years ago.
I'm curious where things are in a few years.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:yesth: it is a pretty great spec... but I find the C7 to be the worst looking generation of all the Corvettes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm
Detroit wrote: These days, there's so few places to actually enjoy a car like that that a Wrangler can get you most of the fun without the hassle.

Honestly my COrvette on 275/40/17 in the front and with the suspension fairly high plus good shocks is actually pretty damn usable, it really doesn't need to scrape anywhere in this form if you pay attention and exercise a bit of care. Sure, it would look a bit better lower, but man is it nice to be able to just drive around like a normal person. Fuck lowering cars for the street.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 pm
:yesth: it is a pretty great spec... but I find the C7 to be the worst looking generation of all the Corvettes.
The widebody CS is :notbad:

But as a whole, yeah, they're just too fucking busy.
The C8 suffers from it too. I'm not in-love with the design language.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 pm

I really can't get into the C8. I respect what it is and that GM made it happen, but overall it's just very meh to me.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm You can have a fun car that's not a hassle if it's built like a regular fucking car instead of chasing lap times. My car, at full stock ride height, is totally fine over garbage roads.

Honestly my COrvette on 275/40/17 in the front and with the suspension fairly high plus good shocks is actually pretty damn usable, it really doesn't need to scrape anywhere in this form if you pay attention and exercise a bit of care. Sure, it would look a bit better lower, but man is it nice to be able to just drive around like a normal person. Fuck lowering cars for the street.
:dat:

Mine was pretty good overall too, which is why a hatch+targa model would be nice. Especially C6 with less scrape and better styling IMO.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm

I really can't get into the C8. I respect what it is and that GM made it happen, but overall it's just very meh to me.
I'll wait until the second generation comes out.
It's too many hard lines and angles.