Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: Full retard "while I'm in there".

Just throwing ideas around.
But you're not doing the rear end though ?! That type of stuff also has to be done by a shop to the tune of another 2k...
The entire rear end has to come out to do the clutch. Taking the diff off is another what...30 minutes at that point? Then I just take it to a shop and have it rebuilt...probably $1k.

It's a lot easier to do it now than to rip it all apart again in the future.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
But you're not doing the rear end though ?! That type of stuff also has to be done by a shop to the tune of another 2k...
The entire rear end has to come out to do the clutch. Taking the diff off is another what...30 minutes at that point? Then I just take it to a shop and have it rebuilt...probably $1k.

Apples to oranges though... you'd have to spend pretty much the same amount of time removing the diff from the half shafts etc etc. on top dropping the subframe. Where the whole thing comes out clean.

That said just trying to be a voice of reason here. It is turning into a slippery slope.

I'd rather spend the money on a lease of a new SS or something than drop another 2k you'll never see again into the corvette. Granted yes if you keep it forever and it is all that you ever wanted sure, but I dunno
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: The entire rear end has to come out to do the clutch. Taking the diff off is another what...30 minutes at that point? Then I just take it to a shop and have it rebuilt...probably $1k.

Apples to oranges though... you'd have to spend pretty much the same amount of time removing the diff from the half shafts etc etc. on top dropping the subframe. Where the whole thing comes out clean.

That said just trying to be a voice of reason here. It is turning into a slippery slope.

I'd rather spend the money on a lease of a new SS or something than drop another 2k you'll never see again into the corvette. Granted yes if you keep it forever and it is all that you ever wanted sure, but I dunno
Oh, read you loud and clear. It's absolutely a slippery slope, and I need to draw the line somewhere, just trying to find it. I'll likely do at least the diff seals when it's out, so that means separating the half shafts anyway. At that point, it's just unbolting it from the trans.

But, you bring up the overarching existential problem. To do everything including the diff, I'm over $4k. And yea, it's money I'll never see again, and likely includes an additional $1k in further depreciation since nobody will want to pay for those mods. I'll be in the car $21k total, and might get $14k if I'm lucky.

And that's the problem, the car is plummeting in value. That 02 I posted a few days ago for $15k was basically my car just a year older without 1SB. Granted, this is the low season, but I think I'd be lucky to get $16k for the car in the spring if i fixed it to stock. For that price, I'd rather just keep it and go retard. If I didn't have to re-do the FMS, I wouldn't even bother with a cam...but since I'm doing 95% of the work...I might as well do it since I know I want to eventually.

The only other thing that interests me as much is a C7 Grand Sport, which is $65k with my discount and an instant :nope: C6 Grand Sports are coming down, but I don't want to spend $30k+ on a fun car and I honestly don't see the value of a C6 over a C5...especially if I can get the same power out of mine.

I wish the Camaro was more practical. I'd get a V6 1LE and call it a day. That trunk is just so tiny, and my C5 is more comfortable up front I can't justify it.

Or, I stick to my original plan and just buy a ZR2, but I know I'll want another sports car of some sort eventually and then it all starts over again.

Ugh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Honestly I'd probably just fix what you fubared with oem parts and call it a day. The whole while I'm in there bs is why you're in this spot to begin with.

Fix the rack and fms leak and clutch. Enjoy car as is for another year or so, i am betting on c7s being in the 30s next year
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:Honestly I'd probably just fix what you fubared with oem parts and call it a day. The whole while I'm in there ba is why you're in this spot to begin with.

Fix the rack and fms leak and clutch. Enjoy car as is for another year or so, i am betting on c7s being in the 30s next year
This is probably the most reasonable option.
max225

I bought my then 4 year old c5 with 19,000 miles for 25,000. Which is how things are when the market is normal. This recent insanity in the used car market is coming to an abrumpt end soon.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:I bought my then 4 year old c5 with 19,000 miles for 25,000. Which is how things are when the market is normal. This recent insanity in the used car market is coming to an abrumpt end soon.
Oh, I know. It just sucks because at a certain price, I just want to keep the thing forever...which I might as well go full retard when it's all torn apart now. I really don't want to do this again.
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:I bought my then 4 year old c5 with 19,000 miles for 25,000. Which is how things are when the market is normal. This recent insanity in the used car market is coming to an abrumpt end soon.
Oh, I know. It just sucks because at a certain price, I just want to keep the thing forever...which I might as well go full retard when it's all torn apart now. I really don't want to do this again.
Maybe ... but I think once you see other cars start to get into the same price range you will :plac:

I'm just trying to prevent you from doing the same mistakes I made when it came to modding cars.

Almost always it is better to buy the Better car than to mod your own. Especially considering how much you're going to spend on this ordeal
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: Oh, I know. It just sucks because at a certain price, I just want to keep the thing forever...which I might as well go full retard when it's all torn apart now. I really don't want to do this again.
Maybe ... but I think once you see other cars start to get into the same price range you will :plac:

I'm just trying to prevent you from doing the same mistakes I made when it came to modding cars.

Almost always it is better to buy the Better car than to mod your own. Especially considering how much you're going to spend on this ordeal
Much truth.

Still, C7's will need to be in the $30k range for me to be tempted, and that's a tall order since now they're barely into the $40k.
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

Much truth.

Still, C7's will need to be in the $30k range for me to be tempted, and that's a tall order since now they're barely into the $40k.
Today yea... but the ass dropped out of the sports car market ... everyone that wanted one has one. Which is why new ones have 10k sitting on the hood.
max225

Also As a side note I'm not sure how you'd fit in a c7, i didnt for that great
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:Also As a side note I'm not sure how you'd fit in a c7, i didnt for that great
I've driven them extensively, and do not fit in them nearly as well as my car. Which is why the value is a tough sell. They're going to have to be really cheap for me to get excited about them.

There honestly isn't anything I want more than the C5.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

troyguitar wrote:3.90 gives you effectively Z06-ish ratios in 1st through 3rd. Those are still pretty damn long.
I wouldn't say the Z06 gears are pretty long. That 1st and 2nd gear are over pretty damn quick in mine. I thought about doing 3.90s in the C5Z but I didn't want to be redlining in 2nd when I autocross.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote:
troyguitar wrote:3.90 gives you effectively Z06-ish ratios in 1st through 3rd. Those are still pretty damn long.
I wouldn't say the Z06 gears are pretty long. That 1st and 2nd gear are over pretty damn quick in mine. I thought about doing 3.90s in the C5Z but I didn't want to be redlining in 2nd when I autocross.
:bruh: 2nd gear goes to like 77 mph with 3.42
ChrisoftheNorth

I'd like 2 to top out just over 60.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:I'd like 2 to top out just over 60.

That's 4.10 with 7k rev limit. 63 or so 2nd IIRC.

C7 Z51 8AT does that stock FWIW, it's why I think the 8AT Z51 could be more fun than the :manuel:
troyguitar

Actually I think that's 4.10 with Z06 gearing, base car with 4.10 probably still does almost 70 mph in 2nd at 7k rpm. I'm drunk though, I'll check math tomorrow.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:Actually I think that's 4.10 with Z06 gearing, base car with 4.10 probably still does almost 70 mph in 2nd at 7k rpm. I'm drunk though, I'll check math tomorrow.
:fuckyeah:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:I'd like 2 to top out just over 60.

Dat's 3.90s with stock rev limiter, I guess the extra RPM makes the difference with the 4.10s. It comes fast though, that's all I'm sayin.

The other thing that's interesting and different... engine braking. There's more of it. So when you're off the throttle you'll feel the car getting pulled back harder. Saves on brake wear :iono:
Last edited by Tar on Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think the real reason for gearing change doe is one of three:
1) red lining at 1320ft from a stop
2) specific track configurations for certain races
3) leaky diff
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote:I think the real reason for gearing change doe is one of three:
1) red lining at 1320ft from a stop
2) specific track configurations for certain races
3) leaky diff
:dat:

ChrisoftheNorth

I dunno, lots of second guessing. Not sure what to do.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:I dunno, lots of second guessing. Not sure what to do.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure you've got some real talk. I've seen OP get upset about differing opinions on upgrades that cost WAY less then this one.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Don't listen to max, he brings reason into a discussion about blowing fat stacks on lulz.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote:

Don't listen to max, he brings reason into a discussion about blowing fat stacks on lulz.
Not sure I want to blow fat stacks on lulz.