Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote:Well... the stereo sounds like shit :notsure:

Way worse than before the head unit. I suspect maybe it's the little box that takes the active output of the HU and makes it passive to go to the amp.

:disappoint: :rolleyes:
Your head unit has an internal amp, right? Try bypassing the OEM amp first and run the signal straight from the head unit.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Odd. Melons sounds awesome. Box might be faulty.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote:
Devilchrono wrote: She may have said that now, but you're gonna end up having to give into something for her this winter :lol:
We already negotiated that. I'm spending Christmas break building a wine cellar/tasting room in the basement for her.
:lol:

And there it is. Well, at least if you were both up front when determining this, then that's all that matters.

Have fun with the car build man
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote:
Detroit wrote: We already negotiated that. I'm spending Christmas break building a wine cellar/tasting room in the basement for her.
:lol:

And there it is. Well, at least if you were both up front when determining this, then that's all that matters.

Have fun with the car build man
I actually led with the offer because I knew she wanted that. Made it easier to break the news if time and money. She was surprisingly ok with the deal.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote:My aftermarket clutch feels like stock except for the lighter flywheel (which is better than stock). Monster "stage 2" and 18 lb flywheel. Got 20k or so miles on it so far and 200+ autox launches, feels the same as new with no issue. Low rpm (parking lot speed) lightweight flywheel chatter is present but very minimal, way less than there was on my S4.
I remember you saying that you would have chosen the LT1 clutch if it was out at the time. At $300 more, do you think it's worth the upgrade?

I'm pretty inclined to go with the clutch you got.
Hard to say. I've no complaints with this one at all but in theory the LT1 should be a little more responsive. How long each will last is anyone's guess - AFAIK nobody really has a lot of miles/years on either one yet. Getting the best option vs going :scrooge: is always the question...

I'm still trying to figure out WTF to do with my shit. :poorvette: vs bike vs MR2 vs shifter kart vs just playing video games and saving money so that I can retire at age 80 instead of 90. It's impossible to pick just one thing and stick with it and be happy with it. :plac:
ChrisoftheNorth

See, if I go Monster Stage 2 (Troy's), which will hold all the power i'll ever need...that frees up $300 to be spent elsewhere, like toward a new radiator which I should do regardless.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote: I remember you saying that you would have chosen the LT1 clutch if it was out at the time. At $300 more, do you think it's worth the upgrade?

I'm pretty inclined to go with the clutch you got.
Hard to say. I've no complaints with this one at all but in theory the LT1 should be a little more responsive. How long each will last is anyone's guess - AFAIK nobody really has a lot of miles/years on either one yet. Getting the best option vs going :scrooge: is always the question...

I'm still trying to figure out WTF to do with my shit. :poorvette: vs bike vs MR2 vs shifter kart vs just playing video games and saving money so that I can retire at age 80 instead of 90. It's impossible to pick just one thing and stick with it and be happy with it. :plac:
Every decision has opportunity costs. Unfortunately, none of us can really suggest anything to you because you're at a level and desire of competition far beyond any of ours.

I'd keep the :poorvette: and game, but that's what I'm doing so... :iono:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Bikes are cheap, keep the :poorvette:
You'll never find another purple one.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote:

Way worse than before the head unit. I suspect maybe it's the little box that takes the active output of the HU and makes it passive to go to the amp.

Your head unit has an internal amp, right? Try bypassing the OEM amp first and run the signal straight from the head unit.
It would be a pain in the ass but might be a good option. It should sound exactly like it did before... I'll mess with it next week probably, have to change fluids on my gf's car this weekend.
ChrisoftheNorth

In4updates.

Maybe there's switches or something on the box?
troyguitar

Melon wrote:Bikes are cheap, keep the :poorvette:
Keeping it still isn't cheap if I want to keep using it. To make an attempt at being competitive in any way whatsoever means $2500 minimum in some non-boat-anchor wheels and flavor of the month tires - and even then I'd be lacking 50+ hp and aero in a car that's overweight, undersprung, and jacked up way too high off the ground. The cheapest of cheap bikes is another $2500 minimum ($1500 ninja plus MSF course plus riding gear plus insurance/reg/taxes)... Hobbies aren't for peasants.

I should sell it all and move to World of Warcraft. :eeyore:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote:
Keeping it still isn't cheap if I want to keep using it. To make an attempt at being competitive in any way whatsoever means $2500 minimum in some non-boat-anchor wheels and flavor of the month tires - and even then I'd be lacking 50+ hp and aero in a car that's overweight, undersprung, and jacked up way too high off the ground. The cheapest of cheap bikes is another $2500 minimum ($1500 ninja plus MSF course plus riding gear plus insurance/reg/taxes)... Hobbies aren't for peasants.

Aren't you at the level of where you can win tires and stuff from contingency programs? Are you doing National level events or only local?
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Keeping it still isn't cheap if I want to keep using it. To make an attempt at being competitive in any way whatsoever means $2500 minimum in some non-boat-anchor wheels and flavor of the month tires - and even then I'd be lacking 50+ hp and aero in a car that's overweight, undersprung, and jacked up way too high off the ground. The cheapest of cheap bikes is another $2500 minimum ($1500 ninja plus MSF course plus riding gear plus insurance/reg/taxes)... Hobbies aren't for peasants.

Aren't you at the level of where you can win tires and stuff from contingency programs? Are you doing National level events or only local?
Not really. Winning tires costs so much money that there is no net gain. It would cost a solid $10k+ in parts plus a truck and trailer and tons of travel to possibly win $2k in tires... assuming I can out-drive Danny Popp.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I got all my peripherals from crutchfield. It took a little time, and a few glances at the wiring diagrams to figure it out, but it worked.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:

Ah, Yeah you're looking to get much more competitive than myself.

Welp, S2k's are starting to fall from the 20k mark and are dominating in STR.
ND Miata has a lot of promise as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote:

I got all my peripherals from crutchfield. It took a little time, and a few glances at the wiring diagrams to figure it out, but it worked.
I used Crutchfield too.

Did you adjust the gain at all on that little converter box? There are four gain pots, one per corner. I tried turning them before putting everything back together and it sounded the same. I think that box is probably just bad.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Everything works, so I don't think it's wired up wrong or anything like that, this ain't my first rodeo either, I had an EE concentration as part of my audio degree. I also soldered everything together and used heat shrink, no half assed cable nut stuff.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote:
Melon wrote: I got all my peripherals from crutchfield. It took a little time, and a few glances at the wiring diagrams to figure it out, but it worked.
I used Crutchfield too.

Did you adjust the gain at all on that little converter box? There are four gain pots, one per corner. I tried turning them before putting everything back together and it sounded the same. I think that box is probably just bad.
Make sure you have everything wired in correctly, IIRC you can install it 'backwards' I had to look at the pins on each connector.
As far as those go, I put them in the middle, or Google'd and saw what other people put them on.

Probably just a bad box doe.
:rage:

I hate taking that fucking radio bezel, center console fucking piece of plastic off the car.
It's so flimsy now that it's old enough to get butt fucked at prom, and they're like $500 to replace.
:rage: :rage: :nope:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote:
D Griff wrote: I used Crutchfield too.

Make sure you have everything wired in correctly, IIRC you can install it 'backwards' I had to look at the pins on each connector.
As far as those go, I put them in the middle, or Google'd and saw what other people put them on.

Probably just a bad box doe.
:rage:

I hate taking that fucking radio bezel, center console fucking piece of plastic off the car.
It's so flimsy now that it's old enough to get butt fucked at prom, and they're like $500 to replace.
:rage: :rage: :nope:
:dat:

It's easy and everything, I just feel like every time I take that stuff apart might be the last. Dat GM quality :doe:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, everytime I have to take mine out, a tab breaks a little more.
Sigh.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Anyone have this issue:

I pull on the handbrake quickly, nothing, goes all the way back with no resistance, does not engage the brake.
I pull slowly, gently but firmly, it will engage about 95% of the time.
Riddle me that.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Keeping it still isn't cheap if I want to keep using it. To make an attempt at being competitive in any way whatsoever means $2500 minimum in some non-boat-anchor wheels and flavor of the month tires - and even then I'd be lacking 50+ hp and aero in a car that's overweight, undersprung, and jacked up way too high off the ground. The cheapest of cheap bikes is another $2500 minimum ($1500 ninja plus MSF course plus riding gear plus insurance/reg/taxes)... Hobbies aren't for peasants.

Ah, Yeah you're looking to get much more competitive than myself.

Welp, S2k's are starting to fall from the 20k mark and are dominating in STR.
ND Miata has a lot of promise as well.
Any of that shit ends up being a $25k+ build if not closer to $40k+ for a good AP2 or ND... plus the mandatory truck and trailer to haul around a car with 2" ground clearance.

It's all a rich man's game.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

IDK What to tell you then man.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote:

you mispelled iRacing
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm so glad that I can just view my car as a vehicle for fun and not competition.