Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The high pressure line from the pump leaked on mine. Not the easiest to swap, but also not impossible. It's apparently somewhat common, AND it looks like both the reservoir AND the rack are leaking since the fluid drips down the line.

I replaced my rack twice after the factory one leaked and the replacement also leaked. I smeared RTV around the wire loom exiting the rack on the last one and it didn't leak.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Funny thing at one autocross event, a guy with a caged C7 that had no business being at an autocross and thought because his big bad ass track car was a big bad ass track car that it would translate to autocross.... He was doing kinda shitty and then saw I was pulling solid times, came and asked:
"Hey is this thing supercharged?"
"Nah man, I'm just low on power steering fluid".

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH the whine was that loud.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:28 pm Funny thing at one autocross event, a guy with a caged C7 that had no business being at an autocross and thought because his big bad ass track car was a big bad ass track car that it would translate to autocross.... He was doing kinda shitty and then saw I was pulling solid times, came and asked:

:lolgasm:

Autox is such a different animal. Also, you sure see some crazy cars perform really badly at HPDE of all kinds. I loved blowing the doors off C7Zs in my POS C5, but most of the :okboomer: who can afford that stuff are just not very fast.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:28 pm Funny thing at one autocross event, a guy with a caged C7 that had no business being at an autocross and thought because his big bad ass track car was a big bad ass track car that it would translate to autocross.... He was doing kinda shitty and then saw I was pulling solid times, came and asked:

:lolgasm: that's incredible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:00 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:57 am

Maybe later cars got small upgrade to that type of stuff Mr :waxer: 2003 model year

I gave away the insulation kit Troy gave me because I didn't want to pull the interior :lolol:

My car still needs maintenance though. I was told the steering rack is weeping, and one of the axle shafts has a torn boot. I can also feel the steering intermediate shaft starting to clunk and get some slop. All of this had brought the likelihood of getting 4.10s this winter from 90% to like 10%.
My power steering fluid keeps dumping itself on the garage floor too, so I need to dig into it. Need to clean the whole front of the motor so I can figure out where it's coming from. It could be the fluid tank, or the rack. I did remove the entire rack to do the harmonic balancer so it could be a hose connection or something. If I was going to sell it I'd fix it sooner than later. That clutch issue does need to get addressed though. Drove it to my mom's to park for the hurricane and damn clutch to the floor was happening again. MEHHHHH
There's no drips under my car at all. I should pull it on the race ramps to make sure something wasn't left loose when the balancer was done on my car too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 pm
Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:00 am

My power steering fluid keeps dumping itself on the garage floor too, so I need to dig into it. Need to clean the whole front of the motor so I can figure out where it's coming from. It could be the fluid tank, or the rack. I did remove the entire rack to do the harmonic balancer so it could be a hose connection or something. If I was going to sell it I'd fix it sooner than later. That clutch issue does need to get addressed though. Drove it to my mom's to park for the hurricane and damn clutch to the floor was happening again. MEHHHHH
There's no drips under my car at all. I should pull it on the race ramps to make sure something wasn't left loose when the balancer was done on my car too.
Are you sure you have a C5?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:50 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 pm

:lolol:

Mine didn't leak at all when I was done with it, and I had it done for a year or so.

That said, if there's no drips I wouldn't mess with it. Even if the steering rack is weeping :aintcare: that's somewhat normal shit there. Fixing something that ain't broke will just create more :rage: and headaches IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:50 pm

Mine didn't leak at all when I was done with it, and I had it done for a year or so.

That said, if there's no drips I wouldn't mess with it. Even if the steering rack is weeping :aintcare: that's somewhat normal shit there. Fixing something that ain't broke will just create more :rage: and headaches IMO.
Mine honestly didn't either, but I'm told it was :unicorn: status.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm

Mine honestly didn't either, but I'm told it was :unicorn: status.
Only because most sit to much that the seals dry out and leak. Low miles isn't that great. Driving plus maintenance goes a long way IMO.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Autox is such a different animal. Also, you sure see some crazy cars perform really badly at HPDE of all kinds. I loved blowing the doors off C7Zs in my POS C5, but most of the :okboomer: who can afford that stuff are just not very fast.

I went down a youtube rabbit trail the other day of weak ass cars reeling in GT3RS and other exotics at the tracks... I'm anxious to get the MR2 running and building it up for moderate power but with a nasty brake and suspension setup, followed up with me making a full aero setup. Being able to beat people in the braking zones and shit is intriguing to me since raw top speed isn't really a thrill I go for much anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:42 pm

I went down a youtube rabbit trail the other day of weak ass cars reeling in GT3RS and other exotics at the tracks... I'm anxious to get the MR2 running and building it up for moderate power but with a nasty brake and suspension setup, followed up with me making a full aero setup. Being able to beat people in the braking zones and shit is intriguing to me since raw top speed isn't really a thrill I go for much anymore.
Also big power = big consumables cost in most cases... And the satisfaction of blowing buy someone in a 10X or more priced car is priceless.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And I'm not even a great driver by any means, passable track driver at best really.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:54 pm And I'm not even a great driver by any means, passable track driver at best really.
Yeah I don't expect to be doing anything crazy right out of the box, but it'll be a fun change of pace from Autocross. It's part of the reason I haven't gotten new tires for the c5. Costly to get another square setup of 315s, and I want slicks. But shit, for a fraction of the cost I could get slicks and other shit for the MR2 or the Miata. These 315 Rivals are heat cycled out enough to where I'm not even comfortable flooring my car at 60 mph in 3rd gear. Rear end will just grease it's way sideways and make me shit my pants keeping it straight. I couldn't imagine just cruising at 90 on the interstate and having to white knuckle my way around dodging a tire tread or some shit.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I also don't have hatch bubbling.

Can someone check the VIN for me? Do I shake have a Chevette?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:33 pm I also don't have hatch bubbling.

Can someone check the VIN for me? Do I shake have a Chevette?
Mine didn't have bubbling on the hatch either. I think that issue is overblown.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Mine had the bubbly hatch, but it was really hard to see, it was pretty much :aintcare: IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sold my Z0Sex wheels last night... the dude seemed pretty pumped up, he is part of a local org called Motorsport 4The Masses, it's like a hybrid trackdaybro/autox... seems :neat: , I may actually check out an event.

:pouroneout: all of the C5 stuff is now gone I think.

I have to say I don't really care all that much so far... bikes are just feeling like a better hobby for the wallet/health/planet and still a lot of fun. I do still covet a GR86 :doe:

The BMW is trucking along without issue and I'm overall pleased with it.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:14 pm Sold my Z0Sex wheels last night... the dude seemed pretty pumped up, he is part of a local org called Motorsport 4The Masses, it's like a hybrid trackdaybro/autox... seems :neat: , I may actually check out an event.

I have to say I don't really care all that much so far... bikes are just feeling like a better hobby for the wallet/health/planet and still a lot of fun. I do still covet a GR86 :doe:

Totally feel you here. When I sold my Vrod I didn't miss it and just enjoyed having a new Miata to work on.
Likely would be the same with the Corvette. I'm kinda in the mood to buy a busted RX8 and learn some rotary shit. But I gotta keep my car count down Lol
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:14 pm Sold my Z0Sex wheels last night... the dude seemed pretty pumped up, he is part of a local org called Motorsport 4The Masses, it's like a hybrid trackdaybro/autox... seems :neat: , I may actually check out an event.

Totally feel you here. When I sold my Vrod I didn't miss it and just enjoyed having a new Miata to work on.
Likely would be the same with the Corvette. I'm kinda in the mood to buy a busted RX8 and learn some rotary shit. But I gotta keep my car count down Lol
I drove :mahtroy: 's RX8 and one other one a few years ago, they are pretty dope cars, the steering/braking/shifting feel is really racey and awesome. Plus 9K RPMs doesn't suck.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:49 pm

A friend of mine had one when they were new. They were finicky little bastards even back then, but they were fun to drive in the twisties as long as you kept the RPMs up due to them being torqueless wonders.

I've had a thought pop into my head about swapping a Mustang 3.7 into one just to be different. I know there are kits out there for the GM LFX.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Front passenger side of my targa roof separated from the frame going to C&C today.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Oof.

Is there a good fix other than finding a suitable replacement?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:02 am Oof.

I've seen that some people fully separate them, sand off the existing stuff, and use some 3m rubber epoxy for glass. I'll contact my insurance and see if this is covered under glass or not, and possibly find a glass repair shop locally that thinks they can fix it. I can't afford to replace it at $1500
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:05 am
Huckleberry wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:02 am Oof.

I've seen that some people fully separate them, sand off the existing stuff, and use some 3m rubber epoxy for glass. I'll contact my insurance and see if this is covered under glass or not, and possibly find a glass repair shop locally that thinks they can fix it. I can't afford to replace it at $1500
Dang man, sorry to hear it, that blows! I thought about selling mine since I had both tops when I sold my car and it seemed like nice used ones were going for 400 to 600, it might be worth taking a look. Hopefully insurance can cover it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:56 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:05 am

Dang man, sorry to hear it, that blows! I thought about selling mine since I had both tops when I sold my car and it seemed like nice used ones were going for 400 to 600, it might be worth taking a look. Hopefully insurance can cover it.
I'll let y'all know this week. The car is still drivable, but I just can't do 90-95 like I normally would on the highway. :pout: