Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

:notsure: with all the traffic in the bay area .
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:40 pm
Purpc5z wrote:
very true. most people live in the smaller surrounding cities and commute to the bigger ones where all the jobs are. I've been doing this for about 3 yesars or so. Norcal is great! Bay area is a lil iffy, but anything above that is super nice.

:bruh: if you live just outside of the city and can deal with the heat, Bakersfield is pretty :notbad: . Famoso drag strip is less than 20mins away and buttonwillow raceway is about 25-30 mins away .Optimal for weekend warriors
Doesn't it take 2+ hours each way to get from a <$1M house in the pay area to an OK job?
Yea, basically.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Purpc5z wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 pm
I thought a lot about this before I left SoCal...but the job opportunities outside of the major areas are severely lacking. I'd live in Northern California (well above Pay Area) in a second.

Plus, no sane person WANTS to live in Bakersfield bro.
very true. most people live in the smaller surrounding cities and commute to the bigger ones where all the jobs are. I've been doing this for about 3 yesars or so. Norcal is great! Bay area is a lil iffy, but anything above that is super nice.

:bruh: if you live just outside of the city and can deal with the heat, Bakersfield is pretty :notbad: . Famoso drag strip is less than 20mins away and buttonwillow raceway is about 25-30 mins away .Optimal for weekend warriors
Sure, if you're THAT into cars, I guess Bakersfield has appealing location. But there's really nothing else redeeming there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Sure, if you're THAT into cars, I guess Bakersfield has appealing location. But there's really nothing else redeeming there.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Purpc5z wrote:

Doesn't it take 2+ hours each way to get from a <$1M house in the pay area to an OK job?
Based on my own research and time spent in the area, that's correct. One hour commute townhouses with shared walls seem to be well over $1 million in many cases. There may be some "more affordable" areas in the east bay with crappy homes starting in the 700-800s.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My bumper got absolutely destroyed by some road dust/fine gravel off my friend's car. Sad but now I can start the ain't care?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also does anyone know if the cupholder phone mounts work? I just want a place to put my phone so I can control my muzik, and since the cupholder is useless anyways I figured I'd start there.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 pm My bumper got absolutely destroyed by some road dust/fine gravel off my friend's car. Sad but now I can start the ain't care?
Might want to try dr colorchip. I've had great success with it on stuff like that. Still noticeable up close, but from 5-10 feet you can't see it. Way better than the peppered chips.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Purpc5z wrote:

About an hour and 15 minutes with no/little traffic and you can be in a decent area with homes that start in the $500's and range up to $2Mish.
ChrisoftheNorth

Insurance has been placed back on Camdalf. :excited:

That's the one good thing about putting the car away for winter...when it comes out in the spring it's like getting a new car again.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Uh... yeah, I'm going to go out and just say that anything Central California that isn't actually physically on the beach with sand as your back yard is a big :ayfkm:

My wife was born and grew up in Santa Maria, but left in 1991 to go to school up here in the bay area. We've gone down to that area twice in the last 19 years. Once in 2000 for a wedding at Avila Beach, which was okay, but Santa Maria was pretty :notsure: about the people there. Wife was surprised that in 9 years it got pretty shady. Then, in 2017 we went back to meet with her High School best friend that was going to go see her parents that still live in Santa Maria.. OMFG. This place looked like Compton compared to how it looked 17 years before.

You know it's bad when someone says they felt better staying in Taft the night before. :lolol:

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 pm My bumper got absolutely destroyed by some road dust/fine gravel off my friend's car. Sad but now I can start the ain't care?
Might want to try dr colorchip. I've had great success with it on stuff like that. Still noticeable up close, but from 5-10 feet you can't see it. Way better than the peppered chips.

I've been using Dr. Colorchip for a bunch of years now on all my cars Beyond about 5 feet any corrected rock chip fades away and most people can't see them. I always will, because I know they are there.. Every car I have traded in had some massive Colorchip action and always got praise by the dealers as being "perfect".

Speaking of, I need to do the 911 this week. Construction on 680 stuck me behind a couple cars throwing rocks at about 80mph and did a number on the hood and bumper. :(
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:40 pm Doesn't it take 2+ hours each way to get from a <$1M house in the pay area to an OK job?
About an hour and 15 minutes with no/little traffic and you can be in a decent area with homes that start in the $500's and range up to $2Mish.
Sounds about right, so 4+ hours in traffic every day. :disgust: :nope:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:02 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Sounds about right, so 4+ hours in traffic every day. :disgust: :nope:
This is the land of working your own hours :doe:

Go in early, or late and avoid traffic.... or pony up and buy a $1.4M shack 5 minutes from work that needs a new roof, insulation, windows, framing due to termites, foundation work....... Fuck it. Tear it down and build something else on the 0.13 acre spot for another $2.5M.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I might look deeper into this. I've got a ton of pock marks on the bottom of my front bumper that I never really cared about since there's nothing I can do about em other than get the whole thing repainted. It's too low to really even see, but if I could do a decent job repairing it for cheap I likely would.
troyguitar

I'd "pony up" like that in a minute if it were possible to get a 500 year loan with 0% down.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:21 am I'd "pony up" like that in a minute if it were possible to get a 500 year loan with 0% down.
And that is why I live 75 miles away from work.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:21 am I'd "pony up" like that in a minute if it were possible to get a 500 year loan with 0% down.
You also hate people and like having land :doe:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
You also hate people and like having land :doe:
You're not :wrong: about that.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 am You also hate people and like having land :doe:
You're :notwrong: .
FIFY
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

:wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong:
:notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong:
:wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong:
:notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong: :notwrong: :wrong:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:46 am
Uh... yeah, I'm going to go out and just say that anything Central California that isn't actually physically on the beach with sand as your back yard is a big :ayfkm:

My wife was born and grew up in Santa Maria, but left in 1991 to go to school up here in the bay area. We've gone down to that area twice in the last 19 years. Once in 2000 for a wedding at Avila Beach, which was okay, but Santa Maria was pretty :notsure: about the people there. Wife was surprised that in 9 years it got pretty shady. Then, in 2017 we went back to meet with her High School best friend that was going to go see her parents that still live in Santa Maria.. OMFG. This place looked like Compton compared to how it looked 17 years before.

You know it's bad when someone says they felt better staying in Taft the night before. :lolol:

I've been using Dr. Colorchip for a bunch of years now on all my cars Beyond about 5 feet any corrected rock chip fades away and most people can't see them. I always will, because I know they are there.. Every car I have traded in had some massive Colorchip action and always got praise by the dealers as being "perfect".

Speaking of, I need to do the 911 this week. Construction on 680 stuck me behind a couple cars throwing rocks at about 80mph and did a number on the hood and bumper. :(
I actually live in Santa Maria :triggered: :thisisfine:. Idunno what part of town yall go to, but this place is really on the up swing. a lot of the town is getting spruced up .
ChrisoftheNorth

Back on topic...

:fuckyeah:

I love this damned thing. Oil changed now and ready for the season!
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 pm Back on topic...

sweet shot! what oil/ weight are you using?
ChrisoftheNorth

Purpc5z wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 pm Back on topic...

sweet shot! what oil/ weight are you using?
Mobil 1 0w40

I've used 5w30 in the past, but I've found that it thins out pretty quickly with heat and tends to lead to more valvetrain noise in my car. The 0w40 quiets things down nicely.