Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Could be that the condensor is a little loose or something and activating it pulls tension and tightens it all up? I dunno. Like you, I can't see how the two are related, especially if it's valve train noise.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:39 am Could be that the condensor is a little loose or something and activating it pulls tension and tightens it all up? I dunno. Like you, I can't see how the two are related, especially if it's valve train noise.
Well, I'm wondering if it's not actually valve train noise I'm hearing? Maybe it's some other put-put-put noise? From inside, it can almost sound like an exhaust leak. Is something loose/disconnected in the HVAC system that isn't an issue when the AC is on?

I'll check the condenser to see if maybe it's loose against the radiator...but the noise seems to be closer to the engine/rear of the engine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Or maybe I'm just a :derp: and it's all in my head. Could it be that the AC on is making white noise in the cabin that drowns out the valve train noise?

I'll be driving the car home with the top off tonight, I'll play with the ac on/off to see if there's actually a difference.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

That's honestly what I was going to say^
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:popcorn:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am Ok gents...a bit stumped on a new one here. This'll be some ADVANCED level C5 discussion...

Been driving my car more lately. Enjoying it a lot. Since doing my heads/cam, I've had noticeable valve train noise. "Sewing machine", "typewriter" are common descriptors. VERY common on these, tuners said it was normal, I just :aintcare: nature of the beast, whatever. It's mostly noticeable with the windows down, next to walls or other cars...but it can be detected inside with the windows up. Again, whatever.

So it got warm and humid overnight, and I decided to drive the car today. Flick the A/C on and as I'm driving notice how quiet the valve train is. Roll the window down, and indeed I swear it's quieter. I haven't driven much with the A/C on, this is the first time I drove a long period with it on.

I start racking my brain trying to figure out how the hell the two could be related, and I'm coming up with nothing. Is the extra load on the engine doing something? Is the noise not valvetrain and maybe something else?

Any thoughts from the best Corvette forum on the net?
From my understanding, the "sewing machine" valve train was only for LS7s. I've got a few buddys with HCI C5zs and they have some decently quite top ends. Nothing compared to LS7 ticking. It feel like ticking could be coming from somewhere else. Just my thoughts
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am Ok gents...a bit stumped on a new one here. This'll be some ADVANCED level C5 discussion...

Been driving my car more lately. Enjoying it a lot. Since doing my heads/cam, I've had noticeable valve train noise. "Sewing machine", "typewriter" are common descriptors. VERY common on these, tuners said it was normal, I just :aintcare: nature of the beast, whatever. It's mostly noticeable with the windows down, next to walls or other cars...but it can be detected inside with the windows up. Again, whatever.

So it got warm and humid overnight, and I decided to drive the car today. Flick the A/C on and as I'm driving notice how quiet the valve train is. Roll the window down, and indeed I swear it's quieter. I haven't driven much with the A/C on, this is the first time I drove a long period with it on.

I start racking my brain trying to figure out how the hell the two could be related, and I'm coming up with nothing. Is the extra load on the engine doing something? Is the noise not valvetrain and maybe something else?

thats a hydraulic lifter engine right?
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Purpc5z wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:15 pm

From my understanding, the "sewing machine" valve train was only for LS7s. I've got a few buddys with HCI C5zs and they have some decently quite top ends. Nothing compared to LS7 ticking. It feel like ticking could be coming from somewhere else. Just my thoughts
Nah, the sewing machine is well documented on all LS engines...especially cars with aggressive ramp rate cams. Mine isn't LOUD, but it's noticeable if you listen for it. I am starting to wonder if it's coming from somewhere else, just not sure where.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm

:yesth:

But these things are known for a somewhat noisy valve train, especially with a cam like mine.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm

But these things are known for a somewhat noisy valve train, especially with a cam like mine.
I could see it being timing chain noise. with a bigger cam in-between power strokes the chain might be loosening and tightening under light load generating your noise. With that little bit of extra load this effect will be less.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:48 pm

I could see it being timing chain noise. with a bigger cam in-between power strokes the chain might be loosening and tightening under light load generating your noise. With that little bit of extra load this effect will be less.
This did occur to me. I should get a stethoscope to test.
Acid666

You should ask Scotty Kilmer. He'll likely know the culprit
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:39 pm You should ask Scotty Kilmer. He'll likely know the culprit
Who dat?
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:39 pm You should ask Scotty Kilmer. He'll likely know the culprit
Who dat?
REV UP YOUR ENGINESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm
Who dat?
REV UP YOUR ENGINESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
:wtf:

Still no idea who dat is.
ChrisoftheNorth

Well, to wrap this up, turns out I'm a :derp:

I forgot how loud the 2nd fan is that turns on with the A/C OR when the car gets hot. Car rarely gets hot, so it's not on often unless I'm running the A/C. It's a loud enough white noise that it masks the valvetrain noise.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:32 pm Well, to wrap this up, turns out I'm a :derp:

I forgot how loud the 2nd fan is that turns on with the A/C OR when the car gets hot. Car rarely gets hot, so it's not on often unless I'm running the A/C. It's a loud enough white noise that it masks the valvetrain noise.
Sending you a bill for the time I spent reading about your "advanced" C5 issue. Cash or cashiers check please.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:32 pm Well, to wrap this up, turns out I'm a :derp:

Sending you a bill for the time I spent reading about your "advanced" C5 issue. Cash or cashiers check please.
Oh shit, that should actually take care of the bill I sent you about the ridiculousness of your wheel saga on the :tits: mobile.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:10 pm

Oh shit, that should actually take care of the bill I sent you about the ridiculousness of your wheel saga on the :tits: mobile.
:roasted:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:amazing:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

To both....
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:ohslap:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

A guy in a truck backed into me at a stoplight last night then drove off through red light when I pulled over. Luckily he didn't have his hitch in so just the flat part of the receiver hit me.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:04 am A guy in a truck backed into me at a stoplight last night then drove off through red light when I pulled over. Luckily he didn't have his hitch in so just the flat part of the receiver hit me.
You reporting it? I have a dash cam in my vette for dumb shut like this. I need to get another for my truck since it flaked out on me a while back
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:04 am A guy in a truck backed into me at a stoplight last night then drove off through red light when I pulled over. Luckily he didn't have his hitch in so just the flat part of the receiver hit me.
:rage: