Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:45 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Which is considering a cam/heads car to drive your crotchfruit around in. :like:
Hey now, it’s got stock heads.
Stock...ish
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:32 pm

A lot of people in that boat too, unfortunately. I feel for you dude, I have a handful of friends who were furloughed or lost their jobs altogether, it sucks. I feel very fortunate every day to be in the position we're in right now.
Not that many people in that boat it seems. Car values :fullretard: been considering a new bike, and they're sold out everywhere unless you spend $5k+, it's a :mindblown: time right now. I think the division of wealth is really going to broaden from all of this.
:dat:

It is a really :wtf: sort of recession. For most middle-wealthy people, income is similar and discretionary spending opportunities are down. This has driven up house prices and many other necessities, not a big deal for the haves but further fucking the have nots.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 pm
Not that many people in that boat it seems. Car values :fullretard: been considering a new bike, and they're sold out everywhere unless you spend $5k+, it's a :mindblown: time right now. I think the division of wealth is really going to broaden from all of this.

It is a really :wtf: sort of recession. For most middle-wealthy people, income is similar and discretionary spending opportunities are down. This has driven up house prices and many other necessities, not a big deal for the haves but further fucking the have nots.

We couldn't afford our neighborhood today...no way. Which is why we're seriously debating cashing in on the :fullretard: and :nope: out of life.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:47 pm

We couldn't afford our neighborhood today...no way. Which is why we're seriously debating cashing in on the :fullretard: and :nope: out of life.
I have also been pretty :butwhy: on city life... curious how I feel if/when this :bs: is all over (so 2023?). :tits: still has to go in to work daily though, so at least her commute is short. I do love the location of this house but now that most of the local amenities are off limits, it's like, man we could've bought a dope house 30 minutes away for the same price of this brick double wide in the city.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:49 pm

I have also been pretty :butwhy: on city life... curious how I feel if/when this :bs: is all over (so 2023?). :tits: still has to go in to work daily though, so at least her commute is short. I do love the location of this house but now that most of the local amenities are off limits, it's like, man we could've bought a dope house 30 minutes away for the same price of this brick double wide in the city.
Take away easy access to restaurants and bars, live music and shows, festivals, and the need for a daily commute and the city makes zero sense to us. We pay ASTRONOMICAL taxes for zero benefit, still have to deal with high population density and :derp: s everywhere, it just makes it all feel so :butwhy:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:32 pm A lot of people in that boat too, unfortunately. I feel for you dude, I have a handful of friends who were furloughed or lost their jobs altogether, it sucks. I feel very fortunate every day to be in the position we're in right now.
That happens with every downturn or upturn. Any volatility in the market leads to the rich getting even richer than usual.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Not that many people in that boat it seems. Car values :fullretard: been considering a new bike, and they're sold out everywhere unless you spend $5k+, it's a :mindblown: time right now. I think the division of wealth is really going to broaden from all of this.
That happens with every downturn or upturn. Any volatility in the market leads to the rich getting even richer than usual.
I dunno man, I think a lot of people who weren't really rich certainly got rich for reasons that Coogles pointed out. Others who got impacted like we did are really screwed. It's just incredible to me how quickly things can go from :fuckyeah: to :nuke: Still adjusting.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:04 am Those Camaro wheels actually look great on that car IMO. 20's :doe: which I wouldn't want either, personally.
Yeah, aside from being polished I don't hate the style as much as hate them being 20s. That's just a straight up :nope:. Not going to buy this one, though. It's 6.5 hours away and I just can't get a good enough feel for the car to make the commitment to go look at it/buy it. I'd rather have a stock one anyway, unless it's a :manuel:. For anything other than drag racing the automatic is just :disgust: from a performance driving point of view, and if I'm getting one it's just going to be a cruiser that sounds decent and happens to not be shaped like an SUV.

Speaking of :manuel:, I just narrowly missed out on a :manuel: GXP. One owner, 43,500 miles, looked absolutely perfect, and listed for only $28,900. Had a Roto-fab intake and Corsa cat-back already, but was otherwise completely stock. By the time I saw it and contacted the guy a dealer had already put down a deposit and agreed to his asking price, so it's off to some :dillerman: who will no doubt list it for $35,000 or more. What a :unicorn: deal that was. Is what I get for never checking Autotrader. :rage: Fuck me.
Where is it located?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:00 pm That happens with every downturn or upturn. Any volatility in the market leads to the rich getting even richer than usual.
I dunno man, I think a lot of people who weren't really rich certainly got rich for reasons that Coogles pointed out. Others who got impacted like we did are really screwed. It's just incredible to me how quickly things can go from :fuckyeah: to :nuke: Still adjusting.
I mean, we certainly haven't "gotten rich". But folks have definitely been able to save more over these past few months than they have in the past if employment situations weren't negatively impacted.

Also saw somewhere that people getting the additional $600/wk on average increased discretionary spending by 15% since the relief bill was passed. Talk about :fullretard:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:00 pm That happens with every downturn or upturn. Any volatility in the market leads to the rich getting even richer than usual.
Yeah I guess we are somewhere in the middle as usual, so we haven't felt much change. Income is down here but spending is also down by about the same amount... all while housing prices anywhere we might ever want to live continue to spiral into the stratosphere. Same thing that has been happening for the past 10 years. We will never enjoy where we live, just need to accept that and :dealwithit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:04 pm
I mean, we certainly haven't "gotten rich". But folks have definitely been able to save more over these past few months than they have in the past if employment situations weren't negatively impacted.

Also saw somewhere that people getting the additional $600/wk on average increased discretionary spending by 15% since the relief bill was passed. Talk about :fullretard:
:iono: I mean I kind of get it? It's easy for us, a forum of rich, white, privileged as hell dudes, to point the finger and call that dumb. But if you work fast food, got laid off, and all of a sudden make 2X what you did before, what would you do? The fast food jobs will still be there when it's over, may as well enjoy life for a few months when the other 900 months of your life are sort of shit.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 pm

:iono: I mean I kind of get it? It's easy for us, a forum of rich, white, privileged as hell dudes, to point the finger and call that dumb. But if you work fast food, got laid off, and all of a sudden make 2X what you did before, what would you do? The fast food jobs will still be there when it's over, may as well enjoy life for a few months when the other 900 months of your life are sort of shit.
Plus, that money is supposed to be spent to stimulate the economy and keep it limping along, not just thrown into a bank or under a mattress.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 am
All very good points. Goes back to the voting with your wallet thing.

So is it bad timing? If G8 GXP :manuel: s are selling for $40k, would the SS :manuel: s be selling well if they were still available today?

To bring this back to car chat, let's have some fun. I've been debating another fun car, won't pull the trigger on anything, but it's fun to chat right?

Price max $20k, what do you buy for a fun car?

C5 or C6
Miata
Fo/FiST
500 Abarth
996 base
Boxster
MINI of some sort

??
I don't think so, by manufacturer standards... there are very few GXPs out there, so the people who REALLY want them are willing to pay $30K+. I don't think there are enough people willing to pay that much to make a business case. That's the issue, we're all cheap fucks. Like, many of us would've had an SS if they were $25K like a :mk6: new, but it can't be made for that much.
The :manuel: SS sold rather quickly once GM threw 20% on the hood and the cars were in the mid/high-30s. They were priced out of the market at their MSRP of $45-$50k. Looking at the used market, the :manuel: cars are still $40k while the autos have already dipped into the $20s.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 amSpeaking of :manuel:, I just narrowly missed out on a :manuel: GXP. One owner, 43,500 miles, looked absolutely perfect, and listed for only $28,900. Had a Roto-fab intake and Corsa cat-back already, but was otherwise completely stock. By the time I saw it and contacted the guy a dealer had already put down a deposit and agreed to his asking price, so it's off to some :dillerman: who will no doubt list it for $35,000 or more. What a :unicorn: deal that was. Is what I get for never checking Autotrader. :rage: Fuck me.
Well, the car has surfaced. It’s at a place called Mashburn Motor in St. Clair, MI. They marked it up $4,000 to $32,900, which is honestly less than I expected. The car needs new tires - plenty of tread but with 2011 & 2012 date codes - but when pointing that out they told me that if they put tires on it they’d “have to” sell it for more than $32.9k. Mkay. $4k seems like plenty of margin to be flexible knowing a car needs tires, the guy even admitted that if it was his car he’d put new tires on it, but said they were firm on $32.9k. It’s too close to clean SS money at that price, especially needing new tires, so I told the guy good luck. Back to looking for a clean, stock, low-mileage GT in the teens. At $28.9k I’d have been all over this damn thing, though. Fuuuuck me.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:11 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 amSpeaking of :manuel:, I just narrowly missed out on a :manuel: GXP. One owner, 43,500 miles, looked absolutely perfect, and listed for only $28,900. Had a Roto-fab intake and Corsa cat-back already, but was otherwise completely stock. By the time I saw it and contacted the guy a dealer had already put down a deposit and agreed to his asking price, so it's off to some :dillerman: who will no doubt list it for $35,000 or more. What a :unicorn: deal that was. Is what I get for never checking Autotrader. :rage: Fuck me.
Well, the car has surfaced. It’s at a place called Mashburn Motor in St. Clair, MI. They marked it up $4,000 to $32,900, which is honestly less than I expected. The car needs new tires - plenty of tread but with 2011 & 2012 date codes - but when pointing that out they told me that if they put tires on it they’d “have to” sell it for more than $32.9k. Mkay. $4k seems like plenty of margin to be flexible knowing a car needs tires, the guy even admitted that if it was his car he’d put new tires on it, but said they were firm on $32.9k. It’s too close to clean SS money at that price, especially needing new tires, so I told the guy good luck. Back to looking for a clean, stock, low-mileage GT in the teens. At $28.9k I’d have been all over this damn thing, though. Fuuuuck me.
:ohdang:

That car hit my FB Marketplace feed the other day, it's not far from me.

I just saw the price and said :lolol: :yeahok:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:24 pmThat car hit my FB Marketplace feed the other day, it's not far from me.

I have no doubt someone will pay it, but it won’t be me.

Guy was a prick. I guess their “business model” is to buy cars from private sellers and turn them around and sell them. I basically just wanted to say, “So your business model is to add no value a charge a bunch of money for it. Got it.”

That car for $34k (with tires) is a shit value compared to a 60-70k mile GT for $18k. I’ll save the $16k and put it toward a real sports car, or spend the extra $6-7k and get a :manuel: SS.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:24 pmThat car hit my FB Marketplace feed the other day, it's not far from me.

I have no doubt someone will pay it, but it won’t be me.

Guy was a prick. I guess their “business model” is to buy cars from private sellers and turn them around and sell them. I basically just wanted to say, “So your business model is to add no value a charge a bunch of money for it. Got it.”

That car for $34k (with tires) is a shit value compared to a 60-70k mile GT for $18k. I’ll save the $16k and put it toward a real sports car, or spend the extra $6-7k and get a :manuel: SS.
I've been noticing this more and more. I want to see those places go under...scum as far as I'm concerned.

It's amazing that people pay these prices. If they didn't, these placed wouldn't be able to do this. The fact that they won't even spring for new tires is even more :rage: zero value add like you said, they can rot in hell.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:48 pmI've been noticing this more and more. I want to see those places go under...scum as far as I'm concerned.

It's amazing that people pay these prices. If they didn't, these placed wouldn't be able to do this. The fact that they won't even spring for new tires is even more :rage: zero value add like you said, they can rot in hell.
I told him basically that. I said I was okay paying what the first owner was asking knowing it needed tires, but that when I buy a car from a dealership for $4,000 more I expect it not to need a new set of tires right away.

They can fuck right off.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:48 pmI've been noticing this more and more. I want to see those places go under...scum as far as I'm concerned.

I told him basically that. I said I was okay paying what the first owner was asking knowing it needed tires, but that when I buy a car from a dealership for $4,000 more I expect it not to need a new set of tires right away.

They can fuck right off.
:rolleyes:

Hopefully a proper car shows up soon. You may find a :dill: yet, you should have some time, I know I'm WFH at least through 2020 here.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 pm :rolleyes:

Hopefully a proper car shows up soon. You may find a :dill: yet, you should have some time, I know I'm WFH at least through 2020 here.
Same. My company has expressed no plan of any kind to bring workers back to the office, and my wife's company has stated Jan 1 will be the very earliest they start bringing back more people. No reason to rush into buying another car, we won't need another to ferry the :baby: :baby: :baby: until she's back in the office.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

So today I figured out why I'm getting a clanking in my corvette. I thought it was end links, and all kinds of other shit, but once I finally got it in the air and looked behind the rotor it was clear as day.

My only problem now is that I'm using my vice to cram it into the shock bottom, but it's not going thru. I'm worried that even if I get it smashed to the other side that it's not going to have the holding friction and just going to pop out again.
Trying to figure if I can order a new one but I don't seem to find a specific replacement part. I might have to email them and see what my options are.

Edit: I went ahead and emailed Koni. I can't find specific replacement bushings, so I asked what they'd advise for this situation.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Update:
Koni is sending me a new bushing at no charge. WOOT
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Acid666 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:26 pm Update:
:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:alpo:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent