Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

NeonJonny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Well I was only thinking functional retarded
Still fighting that losing battle here in California with the srt4. I might give up this year. Fuck going back and forth to smog a corvette with headers and a cam. Not even worth it unless you live in airboatville with no smog.
:word:
Welcome to Airboatville, where the number of vehicles that one person owns that shouldn't pass inspection sometimes outnumbers the amount of teeth in their mouf.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm

I won't have any issues. Cam isn't in the cards though.
Perhaps it should be. Brubsticks are win.
I think we need a poor person gif emoji added
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:43 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:24 pm
Still fighting that losing battle here in California with the srt4. I might give up this year. Fuck going back and forth to smog a corvette with headers and a cam. Not even worth it unless you live in airboatville with no smog.
:word:
Welcome to Airboatville, where the number of vehicles that one person owns that shouldn't pass inspection sometimes outnumbers the amount of teeth in their mouf.
Jesus. :lol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 pm
Perhaps it should be. Brubsticks are win.

Once you pay for it, you'll feel poor fast.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:56 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Was thinking more like this

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:05 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:56 pm

:notbad:. But that looks like making good money.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:18 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:05 pm

:dat: Sometimes I wish I'd gone to a trade school.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:21 pm

My best friend did and became a welder. Ended up working for NASA for about 10 years and also doing underwater welding making good money.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Well guess I'm doing it wrong then :disgust: :lol:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

A poorsche is any front engined Porsche that has less than 8 cylinders.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:28 pm A poorsche is any front engined Porsche that has less than 8 cylinders.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =229296355
Acid666

I looked up some welding classes this last weekend just to do it at the local community college. They've got a class that's not really a degree thing but a TON of on-hands experience that sounded great. But the price is a little steep.
$2,500 for 13 weeks of Mon-Tues-Wed 5-9pm, 90% of the time welding and 10% on theory, class and metallurgy stuff.
I was tempted because I could tinker forever on my own with youtube and internet tutorials, or just say fuck it and learn to stack some dimes from an experienced teacher on different types of materials and just learn a good majority of what I wanted to learn.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:55 pm

I looked up some welding classes this last weekend just to do it at the local community college. They've got a class that's not really a degree thing but a TON of on-hands experience that sounded great. But the price is a little steep.
$2,500 for 13 weeks of Mon-Tues-Wed 5-9pm, 90% of the time welding and 10% on theory, class and metallurgy stuff.
I was tempted because I could tinker forever on my own with youtube and internet tutorials, or just say fuck it and learn to stack some dimes from an experienced teacher on different types of materials and just learn a good majority of what I wanted to learn.
I paid $8,000 for 20 weeks Mon-Thur 12-4:30 PM, but that included a bag of tools, and I finished with 15+ certs
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Trade school is where its at. Welding jobs are a dime a dozen. You might get laid off but youll always find work. If you have the brain for it be an electrician or go into instrumentation. If i stuck through and got my bachelors I would still be out of a job. Community college and an internship+playing the game+ who i knew got me a job. I make way more than I should for what I do. Trades are the money makers. Snowflakes are too scared to work with their hands.
Acid666

NeonJonny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:19 pm Trade school is where its at. Welding jobs are a dime a dozen. You might get laid off but youll always find work. If you have the brain for it be an electrician or go into instrumentation. If i stuck through and got my bachelors I would still be out of a job. Community college and an internship+playing the game+ who i knew got me a job. I make way more than I should for what I do. Trades are the money makers. Snowflakes are too scared to work with their hands.

I'm not saying I wanna switch my career for welding. I just wanna learn and do some custom stuff like full exhausts and shit when I build my shop at home. I'm a designer/drafter my trade. I make the models and prints that welders build off of. I just wanted to learn to actually weld myself. I do too well at my company to consider leaving since I'm a senior designer and only original employee that's been there since the beginning
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Oh im just talking out of my ass in general for the people younger than us. I’d love to learn how to weld. Maybe some day I will. You should definitely learn if you have the time. :carlton:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

NeonJonny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 pm Oh im just talking out of my ass in general for the people younger than us. I’d love to learn how to weld. Maybe some day I will. You should definitely learn if you have the time. :carlton:
Can confirm... trades are really well paid. We are hurting for HVAC more than most others but they are all in high demand ATM. I'm in the "instrumentation" category, its even higher paid but only for people who are really good, the majority get paid less then electricians or millwrights.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:54 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 pm Oh im just talking out of my ass in general for the people younger than us. I’d love to learn how to weld. Maybe some day I will. You should definitely learn if you have the time. :carlton:
Can confirm... trades are really well paid. We are hurting for HVAC more than most others but they are all in high demand ATM. I'm in the "instrumentation" category, its even higher paid but only for people who are really good, the majority get paid less then electricians or millwrights.
They get paid pretty well at my plant. I think almost as much or maybe the same as the operators.
I knew a lot of guys in the NW that worked for Boeing and had good jobs.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I really think I'd be happier running my own electrical business.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:40 am I really think I'd be happier running my own electrical business.
When times are good, yes. When times are slow, not so much.

I made friends with an electrician here after he wired up my garage and we've hung out a few times with one of his employees. They both have Harleys so we had gotten off on the right foot with things to talk about. His business was booming for the last 18 months and they were killing it, but since about October its been very slow around here. So much so that he started doing some general contractor work as he has a history there.

Having a "seasonal" job where the schedule can fluctuate from week to week scares me a bit, but I guess if you plan for it and are careful with your money it can also be a plus.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:40 am I really think I'd be happier running my own electrical business.
When times are good, yes. When times are slow, not so much.

I made friends with an electrician here after he wired up my garage and we've hung out a few times with one of his employees. They both have Harleys so we had gotten off on the right foot with things to talk about. His business was booming for the last 18 months and they were killing it, but since about October its been very slow around here. So much so that he started doing some general contractor work as he has a history there.

Having a "seasonal" job where the schedule can fluctuate from week to week scares me a bit, but I guess if you plan for it and are careful with your money it can also be a plus.
Grass is always greener. Being a corporate shill is quite a drag as well.

I feel like with diversification and adequate money planning, it could work out fine.

I'd probably do a bunch of different things to supplement the electrical business. Home inspections and basic handyman work would be pretty easy to do on the side for extra income.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I enjoy welding, I haven't done any in years though. Also a reason why I want at least a 1 car garage so I can have tools like welders to use. I learned from a friend who was taught by a guy who used to weld up nuclear submarines for the Navy. He also plays electric banjo at a local pub.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 am I enjoy welding, I haven't done any in years though. Also a reason why I want at least a 1 car garage so I can have tools like welders to use. I learned from a friend who was taught by a guy who used to weld up nuclear submarines for the Navy. He also plays electric banjo at a local pub.
This guy sounds epic.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 am I enjoy welding, I haven't done any in years though. Also a reason why I want at least a 1 car garage so I can have tools like welders to use. I learned from a friend who was taught by a guy who used to weld up nuclear submarines for the Navy. He also plays electric banjo at a local pub.
This guy sounds epic.
:dat:
He's a character for sure. He used to daily a TJ too.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I should move to :waxer: country and make Porsche bits :evilplan: