Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I don't see how it would hurt the plastic roof. Dunno about the windshield. It sounds like they just didn't want the job.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:36 pm I don't see how it would hurt the plastic roof. Dunno about the windshield. It sounds like they just didn't want the job.
Either that or it happened once and the repercussions of it were a pain in the ass. I saw the rear glass on my Z06 and realized I'd never want to tint that damn thing myself because of the complexities in the curves. Side windows I'm good with tho.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:07 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:36 pm I don't see how it would hurt the plastic roof. Dunno about the windshield. It sounds like they just didn't want the job.
Either that or it happened once and the repercussions of it were a pain in the ass. I saw the rear glass on my Z06 and realized I'd never want to tint that damn thing myself because of the complexities in the curves. Side windows I'm good with tho.
They also said the rear was hard to do.

@troy IIRC it fucked up the factory tint upon removal and they had to buy a new roof for the customer.
troyguitar

Ahh yeah the plastic is already tinted. Dunno if you can remove the OEM tint first or not, I sadly never had a targa.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:35 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Have you used one of those suction cup headliner things? They are actually quite nice for the summer.
I haven't but that sounds like what I'm looking for
https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/produ ... 97-2004-c5

https://www.corvetteguys.com/products/c ... -black-out
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

anyone interested in the :poorvette: my considering selling it. But leaning towards just keeping it
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:45 pm anyone interested in the :poorvette: my considering selling it. But leaning towards just keeping it
Worst car ad ever?
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:24 am
Purpc5z wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:45 pm anyone interested in the :poorvette: my considering selling it. But leaning towards just keeping it
Worst car ad ever?
lemme try again
buy car? or no buy car? keep car? no keep car?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I just sold the C5. End of an era and kind of a sad day but I’m pretty happy to be rid of old car shit for now.

$14.3k in the bank, which frankly is :mindblown:

I bought this for $17.3k seven years ago, 50k miles ago, and ~25 track days ago.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:52 am Well, I just sold the C5. End of an era and kind of a sad day but I’m pretty happy to be rid of old car shit for now.

I bought this for $17.3k seven years ago, 50k miles ago, and ~25 track days ago.
I likely won't sell mine, but I'm not opposed to it. I bought it for $20K, put 15K miles on it (Currently at 85K), and was expecting to sell it for around 18K but now I could apparently get somewhere in the low 20s for it so I'd start at $25 and then move down to about 22. Wouldn't be a bad deal. With that cash I'd consider getting a new truck in the 15K price range but it's not really worth it right now, or I'd consider starting my shop in the backyard which would likely cost an estimated $25-30K.
It's definitely the time to sell tho.

I think after we finish this MR2 build I might look at cams and other shit to do to the vette, keep it on the side since it's nearly paid for. Insurance aint costing me shit so I might as well keep it around and do some mods to it in the future. Although as much as I'd want a proper "Driver's car", it would likely just sit like the C5 does. I was considering a Lotus Elise, R8, FD RX7, but I've kinda leaned more towards beaters that I can thrash around in instead of "nice" cars
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:52 am Well, I just sold the C5. End of an era and kind of a sad day but I’m pretty happy to be rid of old car shit for now.

:mindblown: :fuckyeah: congrats dude! End of an era, but at least the price should make it easier.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:pouroneout:
But :fuckyeah: on the sale price!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:22 am

:mindblown: :fuckyeah: congrats dude! End of an era, but at least the price should make it easier.
It had a lot of little things go :wrong: lately as well which was annoying.

I think the :okboomer: who bought it is literally scared to drive it... I backed it into his garage and he drove me home. Super nice dude but I thnk my car is now stowed away to be a barn find one day. The dude also had an Astro Van, some huge 00s Cadi sedan, H3 Hummer, two regular F150s and one F150 Lightning barn find all sitting on his property. It sounds like he keeps it all around just to spend all weekend cleaning it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:41 pm

I think the :okboomer: who bought it is literally scared to drive it... I backed it into his garage and he drove me home. Super nice dude but I thnk my car is now stowed away to be a barn find one day. The dude also had an Astro Van, some huge 00s Cadi sedan, H3 Hummer, two regular F150s and one F150 Lightning barn find all sitting on his property. It sounds like he keeps it all around just to spend all weekend cleaning it.
Wild, the dude that bought mine was the same way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:24 am
Worst car ad ever?
:lol: right?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666

Lol this sounds like a good friend of mine who just built a house a little outside of the Woodlands in Houston. Big car guy like me, we grew up together, but he's got a 40X20 shop with half for woodworking, and the other has a 4 post lift for detailing. He currently owns a Honda minivan, an NC Miata that he likes to take cruises in, and I think his wife my have a mini cooper. But he loves to detail. His Miata never really gets that dirty so I dunno why he's got an obsession with going nuts with the detailing and having an entire shop space for it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Total dominance. In another year you will look back on this transaction with satisfaction.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:

Total dominance. In another year you will look back on this transaction with satisfaction.
:dat:

Hell my car was great with no issues and I'm still happy to have moved on.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

That's typical of the :okboomer: Corvette crowd. Their Vettes will live in the garage and go to the occasional car show.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:23 am

That's typical of the :okboomer: Corvette crowd. Their Vettes will live in the garage and go to the occasional car show.
Yep. The man is so stoked... It is kind of :nice: for me though, given all that would need to be addressed to keep that car track worthy, I can rest easy knowing that he'll get a perfectly serviceable car to drive to Hooters once a week for many years with nothing but oil changes.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Just needs a support in the back and a slightly tighter fit. It'll be Gucci after that, but no time right now since I'm driving to Chicago in about 10 hours.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:55 pm Image

Just needs a support in the back and a slightly tighter fit. It'll be Gucci after that, but no time right now since I'm driving to Chicago in about 10 hours.
:fancy:

Certainly a welcome addition to any C5. Are you taking the Corvette to Chicago? That is a long ass drive, although, honestly, the C5 is :notbad: as a highway mile killer.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:16 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:55 pm Image

Certainly a welcome addition to any C5. Are you taking the Corvette to Chicago? That is a long ass drive, although, honestly, the C5 is :notbad: as a highway mile killer.
Yeah. Meeting a bunch of friends for RADwood on Saturday. I drove the BEATR there in April, but they asked me to drive the :poorvette: this time.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:16 pm

Yeah. Meeting a bunch of friends for RADwood on Saturday. I drove the BEATR there in April, but they asked me to drive the :poorvette: this time.
I didn't realize C5s were RADwood material. Thought that was more 80s and early 90s? C4 over C5?
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:57 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:44 pm

I didn't realize C5s were RADwood material. Thought that was more 80s and early 90s? C4 over C5?
It's 80s and 90s, so the C5 qualifies. As do the LS1 4th Gen F-Bodies since they caught the tail end of the era. Much like how the C3 qualifies because it snuck into the start of the 80s.