Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:57 pm
I didn't realize C5s were RADwood material. Thought that was more 80s and early 90s? C4 over C5?
It's 80s and 90s, so the C5 qualifies, as do the LS1 4th Gen F-Bodies. Much like how the C3 qualifies because it snuck into the start of the 80s.
Interesting. Early 80s C3s are painfully 80s, I think they're more RADwood than a C5 or LS1 4th gen. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:57 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:44 pm

Yeah. Meeting a bunch of friends for RADwood on Saturday. I drove the BEATR there in April, but they asked me to drive the :poorvette: this time.
I didn't realize C5s were RADwood material. Thought that was more 80s and early 90s? C4 over C5?
Not entering my car, just going to hang out
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So the :okboomer: I sold my :poorvette: to called me last night.

When he came to test drive the car it didn't start. We jumped the car, drove it, all was fine. I started putting it on the trickle charger and tested the charging system for him, I assumed it needed a new battery. So, I offered to buy a new battery for it or knock a couple hundred off the price, his choice. Well, he decided he would get a battery himself.

Fast forward, he bought a battery and the car still intermittently won't start when it's sat for a day or two. Funny thing is, if he disconnects/reconnects the battery, it cranks up fine and everything works. He cleaned the terminals and made sure everything is getting a good connection, but it looks like there is some weird ass electrical gremlin in the car. He thinks it needs a BCM.

He was pretty cool about it, wasn't calling to bitch, just curious if I'd ever observed such things or had any ideas. The man owns an H3, Astro Van, early 00s Cadi, etc. so I'm sure he's used to this kind of :bs: :lolol:

All of that said, I am glad to not have to :dealwithit: and am still kind of shocked I got over $14K for the thing.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:53 am So the :okboomer: I sold my :poorvette: to called me last night.

When he came to test drive the car it didn't start. We jumped the car, drove it, all was fine. I started putting it on the trickle charger and tested the charging system for him, I assumed it needed a new battery. So, I offered to buy a new battery for it or knock a couple hundred off the price, his choice. Well, he decided he would get a battery himself.

Fast forward, he bought a battery and the car still intermittently won't start when it's sat for a day or two. Funny thing is, if he disconnects/reconnects the battery, it cranks up fine and everything works. He cleaned the terminals and made sure everything is getting a good connection, but it looks like there is some weird ass electrical gremlin in the car. He thinks it needs a BCM.

He was pretty cool about it, wasn't calling to bitch, just curious if I'd ever observed such things or had any ideas. The man owns an H3, Astro Van, early 00s Cadi, etc. so I'm sure he's used to this kind of :bs: :lolol:

All of that said, I am glad to not have to :dealwithit: and am still kind of shocked I got over $14K for the thing.
Well that's good that it's not your problem. I've heard about the electrical gremlins but haven't really experienced too many with my C5. The wiper fluid reservoir does like to completely empty itself in the middle of an autocross run, so I just keep it empty.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:53 am So the :okboomer: I sold my :poorvette: to called me last night.

Well that's good that it's not your problem. I've heard about the electrical gremlins but haven't really experienced too many with my C5. The wiper fluid reservoir does like to completely empty itself in the middle of an autocross run, so I just keep it empty.
Yeah other than a headlight motor rebuild or two and an HVAC screen refresh, it was always pretty good to me as well. Maybe it is comitting suicide because I dumped it :lolol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

This is the kind of :bs: that makes me :notsure: about ever getting another interesting car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:33 pm This is the kind of :bs: that makes me :notsure: about ever getting another interesting car.
This is why I think I just want to get the new GR86 and call it a day. It's new, warrantied, Japanese, simple... seems like a safe bet. I'd rather have something fun but a bit less fast and interesting that I don't have to fuck with constantly.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:30 pm

Yeah other than a headlight motor rebuild or two and an HVAC screen refresh, it was always pretty good to me as well. Maybe it is comitting suicide because I dumped it :lolol:

Oh I forgot I had the headlight gear break on mine, but that wasn't really electrical. Same thing with the one eye wink where one headlight won't pop up, it's a torque issue with the headlight digging into the plastic too deep and not being able to retract, not an electrical problem where it won't come up at all. Overall electrically mine's been minimal headache. Not enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out with cattle prods or anything
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 pm

Oh I forgot I had the headlight gear break on mine, but that wasn't really electrical. Same thing with the one eye wink where one headlight won't pop up, it's a torque issue with the headlight digging into the plastic too deep and not being able to retract, not an electrical problem where it won't come up at all. Overall electrically mine's been minimal headache. Not enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out with cattle prods or anything
I have the wink occasionally. Typically at 4:45am when I'm leaving for work.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:word:

I still think they are pretty solid, reliable cars overall. I am just not really at a place in life at the moment where owning 20 y.o. parked outside dailies is something I want to do. I think as 20 y.o. cars go, Corvettes are better than many. Mine was remarkably solid, I did a pretty substantial amount of track time in it and dailied for seven years basically, the only time(s) it ever left me stranded were when I put too much heat in the tires for the TPMS sensors and got flats.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 pm

Mine did that for a while, then stopped doing it :iono: :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:50 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 pm
Was your car tinted at all?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:50 pm

Nah, I've actually never had a car :tints:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This is an old ass GM that lived outdoors, got thrashed around racetracks, and was always put away wet :ohwell:
I wouldn't expect it to last a moment longer, but it was a good move to dump it. I know your integrity (which is very classy), and am sure that this is a car that's literally falling apart at this age, it's just funny that the new owner will probably internally always think that the car had this problem when it was being sold, whether they say it or not.

Funny enough, I bought a 2 yr old Bosch dishwasher that runs like a champ, but the dryer I picked up used a couple of months ago ran two cycles and started to shit the bed intermittently, then permanently :lolol:
I still feel the burn and am internally pissed at the guy who sold it in "perfect working condition", :yeahok: I think I'd be really mad-bro if I bought a car with that type of gremlin, but nobody owns the problem but the current owner, they could either fix it or dump the car and buy something newer. It comes with the territory, and is a risk that a person assumes when they buy something THIS used.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:08 pm

This is an old ass GM that lived outdoors, got thrashed around racetracks, and was always put away wet :ohwell:
I wouldn't expect it to last a moment longer, but it was a good move to dump it. I know your integrity (which is very classy), and am sure that this is a car that's literally falling apart at this age, it's just funny that the new owner will probably internally always think that the car had this problem when it was being sold, whether they say it or not.

Funny enough, I bought a 2 yr old Bosch dishwasher that runs like a champ, but the dryer I picked up used a couple of months ago ran two cycles and started to shit the bed intermittently, then permanently :lolol:
I still feel the burn and am internally pissed at the guy who sold it in "perfect working condition", :yeahok: I think I'd be really mad-bro if I bought a car with that type of gremlin, but nobody owns the problem but the current owner, they could either fix it or dump the car and buy something newer. It comes with the territory, and is a risk that a person assumes when they buy something THIS used.
He was cool about it honestly, just was curious if I had any ideas. I think I was pretty upfront with him, mentioned the clutch, etc. :ohwell: , not my problemo now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:12 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:08 pm

He was cool about it honestly, just was curious if I had any ideas. I think I was pretty upfront with him, mentioned the clutch, etc. :ohwell: , not my problemo now.
Yeah he sounds like an optimistic and proactive dude who doesn't shy away from old car problems. Heck even my C6 had 2k/yr of repairs waiting for me each spring. It costs money to own old shit, and one of two major justifications for me selling mine.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:59 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:52 pm

K. I need to find a place that'll do it. The interior of my car got too hot the HVAC (I assume) over heated :lolol:

About 8hrs into my trip both ways the HVAC wouldn't let the fan speed blow above 25% or so no matter what I did. It was still blowing cool air, but it couldn't keep me cool when the sun was hitting my head through the side windows and roof.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:35 pm

K. I need to find a place that'll do it. The interior of my car got too hot the HVAC (I assume) over heated :lolol:

About 8hrs into my trip both ways the HVAC wouldn't let the fan speed blow above 25% or so no matter what I did. It was still blowing cool air, but it couldn't keep me cool when the sun was hitting my head through the side windows and roof.
Yes. Window tint, and get your exhaust ceramic coated bruh.
Every vehicle I have is tinted (mainly because I'm antisocial and need to pick and eat my boogers in peace without being judged). But that header ceramic coat killed all that tunnel ram heat by my legs as well. And tap the living shit out of your radiator with a rubber hammer to clean the bish out. I tap tap tapped for about 10 minutes and still had debris coming out of mine after I cleaned it out.
I'm sure you know all this, but just a friendly reminder for things that might help.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:00 pm

Yes. Window tint, and get your exhaust ceramic coated bruh.
Every vehicle I have is tinted (mainly because I'm antisocial and need to pick and eat my boogers in peace without being judged). But that header ceramic coat killed all that tunnel ram heat by my legs as well. And tap the living shit out of your radiator with a rubber hammer to clean the bish out. I tap tap tapped for about 10 minutes and still had debris coming out of mine after I cleaned it out.
I'm sure you know all this, but just a friendly reminder for things that might help.
I still have the stock exhaust until the axle back so I won't be paying for anything to get coated, but yes I thought there's a good chance the radiator would be dirty, but that doesn't explain why the fan speed wouldn't go beyond minimum after a few hours?

I'll be getting the lightest ceramic tint possible. I MUCH prefer the fish bowl look on my cars.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Sounds like the blower motor was getting hot from running for 8 hours.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 am

:dat:

I wonder how close it is to the center tunnel where the torque tube/exhaust runs. That area gets really hot in C5s after some hours of driving, although the AC in mine was always able to keep up with zero issues.

It seems like a good excuse to get some ceramic wrapped headers and a tune :trollface:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:12 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 am

I wonder how close it is to the center tunnel where the torque tube/exhaust runs. That area gets really hot in C5s after some hours of driving, although the AC in mine was always able to keep up with zero issues.

It seems like a good excuse to get some ceramic wrapped headers and a tune :trollface:
Maybe later cars got small upgrade to that type of stuff Mr :waxer: 2003 model year

I gave away the insulation kit Troy gave me because I didn't want to pull the interior :lolol:

My car still needs maintenance though. I was told the steering rack is weeping, and one of the axle shafts has a torn boot. I can also feel the steering intermediate shaft starting to clunk and get some slop. All of this had brought the likelihood of getting 4.10s this winter from 90% to like 10%.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:57 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:12 am

Maybe later cars got small upgrade to that type of stuff Mr :waxer: 2003 model year

I gave away the insulation kit Troy gave me because I didn't want to pull the interior :lolol:

My car still needs maintenance though. I was told the steering rack is weeping, and one of the axle shafts has a torn boot. I can also feel the steering intermediate shaft starting to clunk and get some slop. All of this had brought the likelihood of getting 4.10s this winter from 90% to like 10%.
My power steering fluid keeps dumping itself on the garage floor too, so I need to dig into it. Need to clean the whole front of the motor so I can figure out where it's coming from. It could be the fluid tank, or the rack. I did remove the entire rack to do the harmonic balancer so it could be a hose connection or something. If I was going to sell it I'd fix it sooner than later. That clutch issue does need to get addressed though. Drove it to my mom's to park for the hurricane and damn clutch to the floor was happening again. MEHHHHH
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:00 am

My power steering fluid keeps dumping itself on the garage floor too, so I need to dig into it. Need to clean the whole front of the motor so I can figure out where it's coming from. It could be the fluid tank, or the rack. I did remove the entire rack to do the harmonic balancer so it could be a hose connection or something. If I was going to sell it I'd fix it sooner than later. That clutch issue does need to get addressed though. Drove it to my mom's to park for the hurricane and damn clutch to the floor was happening again. MEHHHHH
:disappoint:

Hopefully the steering issue is simple. Mine would weep fluid out of the reservoir, but installing a power steering cooler fixed that. You already have one of those so it may be something different :rage:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:00 am

:disappoint:

Hopefully the steering issue is simple. Mine would weep fluid out of the reservoir, but installing a power steering cooler fixed that. You already have one of those so it may be something different :rage: