Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:35 am
I love the Corvette platform. If I sold the :poorvette: , I'd probably just get a C6 or C7. :tits: thinks I should get a C7GS. A Sebring Orange one blasted past us on our way to work today and I went full :triggered: :jimp: She said I should "just get one already".

I'm just too cheap.

I've been watching this one...the price keeps creeping down. Dude started at 40k, then 39, now $37.5. I bet I could score it for $35-36k.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... Code1=CORV

I dunno. Probably won't do anything and the :poorvette: will just keep sitting. I really hate selling cars, not sure I feel like dealing with it. Easier to just do nothing.
Damn... that thing is :tits:

My :plac: itis has been acting up lately as well. I love the C5 for what it is, a hilarious, POS racecar. It's fun as hell to drive in the mountains, on the track, on an on ramp. It really blows in other areas with scraping everywhere, riding like shit, all of the noises. The whining diff has me really :disappoint:

My thoughts are wandering between adding a cheap-ish 2nd car that's more pleasant, or maybe offing it for a Mustang GT as one car to rule them all. :iono: .
I like the 2nd cheapish car that's more pleasant route. There's still nothing like the :poorvette: for maximum :lolol: Having something else that's more pleasant to drive daily is the perfect mix, IMO.

Though, in my case, I just never drive the :poorvette: Makes it more special I guess, but it's been almost 2 weeks...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Yeah, I have always been on the sell/keep train

Then I take it to TN and really get to enjoy what the car will do.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:29 am

I can get that. I was all gung ho when I got my bike. Now I can't stand the thought of even riding in it. I've raced more motorcycles in the Z than I have on the bike. Lol.
I do things to the car with the intent that there's always a possibility in the future that I'd want to sell it. Boredom, more power, different platform... You never know where your :plac: mental state is gonna be in a few years. At least at this age I recognize that.
I love the Corvette platform. If I sold the :poorvette: , I'd probably just get a C6 or C7. :tits: thinks I should get a C7GS. A Sebring Orange one blasted past us on our way to work today and I went full :triggered: :jimp: She said I should "just get one already".

I'm just too cheap.

I've been watching this one...the price keeps creeping down. Dude started at 40k, then 39, now $37.5. I bet I could score it for $35-36k.

I dunno. Probably won't do anything and the :poorvette: will just keep sitting. I really hate selling cars, not sure I feel like dealing with it. Easier to just do nothing.
Even though it is a c6 and would only have the old system.... No mag ride = no way.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am

I'm just too cheap.

Even though it is a c6 and would only have the old system.... No mag ride = no way.
Yea...MSRC and NPP are two big things I'd like to upgrade for. I'd probably drive a car with MSRC more.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am

Yea...MSRC and NPP are two big things I'd like to upgrade for. I'd probably drive a car with MSRC more.
When I got my C6GS I had them both. My friends that lives in Detroit/Macomb/Shelby Township bought one that didn't have MSRC. Within 6 months he was complaining nonstop about how shitty the ride was in the car on those roads. He sold the car about a year after he bought it and lost his ass on it. He had previously had a C5 FRC and loved it. ???
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 am
When I got my C6GS I had them both. My friends that lives in Detroit/Macomb/Shelby Township bought one that didn't have MSRC. Within 6 months he was complaining nonstop about how shitty the ride was in the car on those roads. He sold the car about a year after he bought it and lost his ass on it. He had previously had a C5 FRC and loved it. ???
The roads make owning these cars almost unbearable. It's why I only drive mine when I feel like it on the weekends so I can plot out my drive on roads I know to be good.

MSRC would probably be great, but the chance of a blowout and/or bending a wheel is very high still, so if I got another, it would still only be for the weekends. It's hard to spend $60k+ on just a fun car at this stage.

I'd rather just put a blower in a ZR2.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

All put back together. I don't have the borla's connected yet. I'm waiting for the paint to dry/cure/harden before I install them. They'll go on tomorrow. For now, everything is back on. The video doesn't do it justice. It sounds like a fucking stock car. LOLZ.
I let it run for a few minutes, no codes yet. So when I get the borlas on I'll pull it out of the driveway and let it run for a good 10-15 minutes to burn in the headers (they're smoking a little as planned), and then I'll run it around the block a bit and see how it feels. Then I'll let it cool down and I'll tighten the whole system again.

One thing I need to address is the header is REAAAAAAAAAAly close to the steering shaft, so I need to see how I can bang it in a little right there.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:02 pm All put back together. I don't have the borla's connected yet. I'm waiting for the paint to dry/cure/harden before I install them. They'll go on tomorrow. For now, everything is back on. The video doesn't do it justice. It sounds like a fucking stock car. LOLZ.
I let it run for a few minutes, no codes yet. So when I get the borlas on I'll pull it out of the driveway and let it run for a good 10-15 minutes to burn in the headers (they're smoking a little as planned), and then I'll run it around the block a bit and see how it feels. Then I'll let it cool down and I'll tighten the whole system again.

One thing I need to address is the header is REAAAAAAAAAAly close to the steering shaft, so I need to see how I can bang it in a little right there.
My steering shaft made contact with the header primary under hard cornering. I tried everything I could to add clearance with the headers installed, but couldn't figure out how. When I took them out to do the clutch, I clearanced with heat and a socket. Didn't need much.

You might be OK, :doe:
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 am My steering shaft made contact with the header primary under hard cornering. I tried everything I could to add clearance with the headers installed, but couldn't figure out how. When I took them out to do the clutch, I clearanced with heat and a socket. Didn't need much.

I'm gonna ride it and see how it handles. Like yours, it might not rub until hard cornering. It's not on top of the steering shaft or anything, it's right beside it. Like if you cut a section from drivers side to passenger side and drew 2 vertical lines tangent to the steering shaft and to the furthest point of the header pipe, there's a thin ass gap between the two. But since they're nearly center to center, I think the rotation of the motor with it rotating on the motor mounts as a pivot point, I think it'll shift up and down and not hit much. I don't know how much left/right play there is in the motor when it's moving.
I'll play it by feel, but I might not know how it feels until an actual autocross where I'm pushing to those limits.

At least it idled decent for the few minutes and isn't sputtering and all kinda shit. When I revved it up, it seemed to be a lot more responsive. There was no load, I know, but it just seemed more free and less restricted. Hopefully I can get it together tonight.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 am My steering shaft made contact with the header primary under hard cornering. I tried everything I could to add clearance with the headers installed, but couldn't figure out how. When I took them out to do the clutch, I clearanced with heat and a socket. Didn't need much.

I'm gonna ride it and see how it handles. Like yours, it might not rub until hard cornering. It's not on top of the steering shaft or anything, it's right beside it. Like if you cut a section from drivers side to passenger side and drew 2 vertical lines tangent to the steering shaft and to the furthest point of the header pipe, there's a thin ass gap between the two. But since they're nearly center to center, I think the rotation of the motor with it rotating on the motor mounts as a pivot point, I think it'll shift up and down and not hit much. I don't know how much left/right play there is in the motor when it's moving.
I'll play it by feel, but I might not know how it feels until an actual autocross where I'm pushing to those limits.

At least it idled decent for the few minutes and isn't sputtering and all kinda shit. When I revved it up, it seemed to be a lot more responsive. There was no load, I know, but it just seemed more free and less restricted. Hopefully I can get it together tonight.
With the poly mounts, you might be just fine.

:fuckyeah: on getting it together! :popcorn: on results. Worth considering a dyno tune to unlock all dem ponies.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:35 pm Damn... that thing is :tits:

My :plac: itis has been acting up lately as well. I love the C5 for what it is, a hilarious, POS racecar. It's fun as hell to drive in the mountains, on the track, on an on ramp. It really blows in other areas with scraping everywhere, riding like shit, all of the noises. The whining diff has me really :disappoint:

My thoughts are wandering between adding a cheap-ish 2nd car that's more pleasant, or maybe offing it for a Mustang GT as one car to rule them all. :iono: .
I like the 2nd cheapish car that's more pleasant route. There's still nothing like the :poorvette: for maximum :lolol: Having something else that's more pleasant to drive daily is the perfect mix, IMO.

Though, in my case, I just never drive the :poorvette: Makes it more special I guess, but it's been almost 2 weeks...
:word:

I think I may Fiesta ST. Kind of stupid to have two cars but YOLO and stuff. :poorvette: + Fiesta ST is cheaper than a Cayman and seems way more useful and is also twice the cylinders and powah.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 am
Detroit wrote: I like the 2nd cheapish car that's more pleasant route. There's still nothing like the :poorvette: for maximum :lolol: Having something else that's more pleasant to drive daily is the perfect mix, IMO.

I think I may Fiesta ST. Kind of stupid to have two cars but YOLO and stuff. :poorvette: + Fiesta ST is cheaper than a Cayman and seems way more useful and is also twice the cylinders and powah.
It's really a :notbad: way to go, other than dealing with a shitty Ferd product.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: I like the 2nd cheapish car that's more pleasant route. There's still nothing like the :poorvette: for maximum :lolol: Having something else that's more pleasant to drive daily is the perfect mix, IMO.

My wife is thinking of trading her Kia Soul for a Fiesta ST. I told her it's really not that bad of a decision. A hatchback is really what she needs because she doesn't use the space of the Kia, and getting something smaller and more sporty is great because I can buy her a 2nd set of wheels and tires on the cheap and she can race it. Then I can delay buying a Miata for her to autocross. If she does that, then we'll go nuts with the Miata with a full motor swap and everything else.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 am

My wife is thinking of trading her Kia Soul for a Fiesta ST. I told her it's really not that bad of a decision. A hatchback is really what she needs because she doesn't use the space of the Kia, and getting something smaller and more sporty is great because I can buy her a 2nd set of wheels and tires on the cheap and she can race it. Then I can delay buying a Miata for her to autocross. If she does that, then we'll go nuts with the Miata with a full motor swap and everything else.
:impressive:

I'll start with having my gf actually drive the Fiesta and see if she starts to enjoy a fun car at all, kinda doubt it, she just has zero interest in fun driving. She can do a manual though, just won't drive the :poorvette: because the scrape really wigs her out.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What's the advantage of a fiesta over a civic sport? I think they are around the same price... but the Civic is far more DD friendly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 pm

What's the advantage of a fiesta over a civic sport? I think they are around the same price... but the Civic is far more DD friendly.
For me, small = DD friendly. I just love a small car, so really it's fun to drive/quick to whip around, easy to park, etc. The opposite of a :poorvette: I'm sure the Civic is a better car for most people, more space, comfort, all of that, but I just like the tiny size.
Acid666

Got it all put together. I lined my pipes up! LOL, at least I think they're level. I lined them up and then started to tighten bolts from front to back, and then checked em again, and more tightening.
Lil bit of stink, I'm going to give it time to burn in and wait for all the oils and crap that's on the pipes to burn in before I determine what's actually coming from the Catless setup. Also got a little bit of a rattle, so I'll let the parts heat up and then retighten and then see if anything's rubbing that I can spot. Steering is a little stiffer. Not sure if it's from the new motor mounts or if it's because it's getting a little bit of rub from the pipe. Will continue to drive to see how it feels.

Detroit, there's still a possibility that I may want to switch to the catted Xpipe. I really like the sound of it now, but it all depends how much it smells on idling. I spend a lot of time idling at autocross, so if it makes me and other people sick while waiting in grid, I'm gonna swap it.

Only got a quick cell phone vid of it. When I get a chance I'll give it some revs.
It gets to the top end significantly faster now. Just feels like it's constantly itching to get to redline. The power difference is definitely there. Can't wait to get it tuned to max it out.

ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:16 pm Got it all put together. I lined my pipes up! LOL, at least I think they're level. I lined them up and then started to tighten bolts from front to back, and then checked em again, and more tightening.
Lil bit of stink, I'm going to give it time to burn in and wait for all the oils and crap that's on the pipes to burn in before I determine what's actually coming from the Catless setup. Also got a little bit of a rattle, so I'll let the parts heat up and then retighten and then see if anything's rubbing that I can spot. Steering is a little stiffer. Not sure if it's from the new motor mounts or if it's because it's getting a little bit of rub from the pipe. Will continue to drive to see how it feels.

Detroit, there's still a possibility that I may want to switch to the catted Xpipe. I really like the sound of it now, but it all depends how much it smells on idling. I spend a lot of time idling at autocross, so if it makes me and other people sick while waiting in grid, I'm gonna swap it.

Only got a quick cell phone vid of it. When I get a chance I'll give it some revs.
It gets to the top end significantly faster now. Just feels like it's constantly itching to get to redline. The power difference is definitely there. Can't wait to get it tuned to max it out.

Yep, let me know. I'm still down to trade straight up.

I remember when I first installed my headers, the performance was very noticable. I don't remember steering being more difficult, definitely keep an eye on the steering shaft.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:04 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 pm

For me, small = DD friendly. I just love a small car, so really it's fun to drive/quick to whip around, easy to park, etc. The opposite of a :poorvette: I'm sure the Civic is a better car for most people, more space, comfort, all of that, but I just like the tiny size.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Acid666

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:fuckyeah:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:impressive: :fullretard:

I'm still thinking about a base coupe in BS on :jalepenis: 255/40/17s all around. It's looking like the 2019 ND2 miata is going to obsolete the RX8 and ND1 in CS. We'll see what the SCCA gods decide to do.
Acid666

Spent the day getting high and making these 2 pairs of 18s match colors with a matte black. Matte clear is going on tomorrow.
Painted the 17s fresh graphite with the hopes it'll bring in extra money when I go to sell. Not perfect, but it's a lot better than the condition they were in.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Get a cheap :manuel: beater and beat the living hell out of it without risking to go to jail instead of hot hatch that takes premium, since you have the vette
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Acid666

And to top off the week I went grab my friend's seat and mounting bracket. The wife is gonna hate it.