Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:10 pm Guess I need to accelerate plans for the heated garage...
:dat:
It's the obvious answer.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sounds to me like as long as you don't insta-heat them, you're likely fine. They would automatically be thawed slowly in the garage.

You will be leaving them on the car year round? If swapping, then basement storage doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you were planning to leave them on the car, yeah, that kind of blows.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:13 am
Sounds to me like as long as you don't insta-heat them, you're likely fine. They would automatically be thawed slowly in the garage.

You will be leaving them on the car year round? If swapping, then basement storage doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you were planning to leave them on the car, yeah, that kind of blows.
I do not take the wheels off the car when it sits for winter. And I don't want to store another set of wheels I don't need.

Might just live smoke show lyfe forever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:29 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:13 am

I do not take the wheels off the car when it sits for winter. And I don't want to store another set of wheels I don't need.

Understood, one set of wheels/tires that stays on the car forever.

I'd just get whatever tires you want, that article really just says they'll crack if you freeze them to 0F, then heat them back up quickly.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:29 am

I'd just get whatever tires you want, that article really just says they'll crack if you freeze them to 0F, then heat them back up quickly.
In Meatchicken, anything is possible. It could be a high of 10 one day and 50 the day after. It happened a few times this year.

I have no idea what to do for wheels and tires. I really just want to :scrooge:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:34 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 am

In Meatchicken, anything is possible. It could be a high of 10 one day and 50 the day after. It happened a few times this year.

:bruh: it would be fine, it's still not going to go from 10F to 70F in 20 minutes...
Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.
If you're that worried about it, leave the wheels/tires on, but put the car on jack stands for winter, that would take 30 minutes.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:41 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:34 am

:bruh: it would be fine, it's still not going to go from 10F to 70F in 20 minutes...
Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

If you're that worried about it, leave the wheels/tires on, but put the car on jack stands for winter, that would take 30 minutes.
Perhaps that is the answer...

RS4's would be :jimp: traction.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:41 am

Just :doit: man.

You already spent thousands of dollhairs and hundreds of hours to make a bunch of powah. What good is that with low traction?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am

You already spent thousands of dollhairs and hundreds of hours to make a bunch of powah. What good is that with low traction?
Yea...now do I :waxer: for 18's in front, or just keep the 17's? I'm tempted to do the latter, RS4's come in sizes that fit. Would probably be 5/7 and :scrooge: at the same time. RS4's are actually cheaper than Continental ExtremeContact Sports.

:mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:52 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am

Yea...now do I :waxer: for 18's in front, or just keep the 17's? I'm tempted to do the latter, RS4's come in sizes that fit. Would probably be 5/7 and :scrooge: at the same time. RS4's are actually cheaper than Continental ExtremeContact Sports.

:iono: man, I'm in the same boat trying to make that decision. It's an annoying one to make for sure. The :scrooge: is real.

I'm leaning to just getting the new wheels, as I'm leaning to not :plac: . I'm learning about myself that I'm just not a :troywax: :plac: like most people here. Every car transaction I've made was really based on a need. I'm just don't know that I have it in me to go spend $30k for no real reason other than feeling like a new car.

I got the :turboyaris: because I graduated college, needed to get to work, and my Civic was 15 years old and needed a new transmission.

I did :wasteful: buy the Miata just for fun, but it was $2k. I later sold the :turboyaris: due to getting my current job with constant travel, and thinking I could get by with just a :scrooge: Miata.

I bought the :poorvette: because the Miata was breaking down multiple times per month and it just wasn't worth getting home from the road and not having a functional car, plus I didn't want to spend my only time at home under the hood. The last straw was when it left me and this chick I was dating stranded in BFE in the mountains on a hiking day.

Now I'm here with a perfectly good :poorvette: that is far from perfect, but I still enjoy, and it's just really hard to :plac: , even though I kind of want to.
ChrisoftheNorth

The RS4 17" fronts are 255s that are wider than 275s...but an INCH shorter in diameter. That'll look ridiculous on the car.

A square 18" setup would allow for rotating...which might ultimately be more :scrooge: because I don't have to buy new rear tires as frequently?

:notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:59 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:52 am

:iono: man, I'm in the same boat trying to make that decision. It's an annoying one to make for sure. The :scrooge: is real.

I'm leaning to just getting the new wheels, as I'm leaning to not :plac: . I'm learning about myself that I'm just not a :troywax: :plac: like most people here. Every car transaction I've made was really based on a need. I'm just don't know that I have it in me to go spend $30k for no real reason other than feeling like a new car.

I got the :turboyaris: because I graduated college, needed to get to work, and my Civic was 15 years old and needed a new transmission.

I did :wasteful: buy the Miata just for fun, but it was $2k. I later sold the :turboyaris: due to getting my current job with constant travel, and thinking I could get by with just a :scrooge: Miata.

I bought the :poorvette: because the Miata was breaking down multiple times per month and it just wasn't worth getting home from the road and not having a functional car, plus I didn't want to spend my only time at home under the hood. The last straw was when it left me and this chick I was dating stranded in BFE in the mountains on a hiking day.

Now I'm here with a perfectly good :poorvette: that is far from perfect, but I still enjoy, and it's just really hard to :plac: , even though I kind of want to.
:plac: for the sake of :plac: just doesn't make sense, IMO. Especially with something like the :poorvette:

But I'm biased. I still really like my car. I think about offing it for a C6GS or the like, but that's some serious :troywax: and I don't think it's worth it in the end.
ChrisoftheNorth

Toyo Proxes T1 Sport. 240 TW. Come in 265/40r17 and 295/35r18. Super cheap (under $700/set). Gold chainz forum members report outstanding straight-line grip while being quiet and comfortable. Sidewalls are a bit squishy, which I need for the crater roads around here.

Found my tires.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:13 am Toyo Proxes T1 Sport. 240 TW. Come in 265/40r17 and 295/35r18. Super cheap (under $700/set). Gold chainz forum members report outstanding straight-line grip while being quiet and comfortable. Sidewalls are a bit squishy, which I need for the crater roads around here.

Found my tires.
Interesting.

/in4review
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:13 am Toyo Proxes T1 Sport. 240 TW. Come in 265/40r17 and 295/35r18. Super cheap (under $700/set). Gold chainz forum members report outstanding straight-line grip while being quiet and comfortable. Sidewalls are a bit squishy, which I need for the crater roads around here.

Found my tires.
Interesting.

/in4review
They won't be as sticky as Rivals or whatever, but for a 95% street car, I think they should be fine. I've read a number of reports that they're sticker than the Continentals I was seriously considering, AND they're quite a bit cheaper. Win/Win. If they blow, I'm not out a fortune.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 am
Melon wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 am

Interesting.

/in4review
They won't be as sticky as Rivals or whatever, but for a 95% street car, I think they should be fine. I've read a number of reports that they're sticker than the Continentals I was seriously considering, AND they're quite a bit cheaper. Win/Win. If they blow, I'm not out a fortune.
Proxies are not bad a bad tar, they used to be the hotness.
ChrisoftheNorth

Wheels dropped at tire shop for new rubber. Finally going to have working TPMS for the first time since buying the car.

:triggered:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I got vibration in my drive train when under high load high rpms and starting to think its the torque tube bearings from what I see on youtube and facebook groups. Sucks that I just paid to have the diff fixed last year and now I'll likely be paying for all of that to come apart. I need to get the car up once it warms up to see if there's a few tests that I can do to confirm the bearing.

I might get them to do the clutch if the trans is out already. Then again I'm get frustrated with having to spend 2k every year on this thing. I might just dip out of the three car lyfe for a while.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That sucks man, but, I know the feels.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 am I got vibration in my drive train when under high load high rpms and starting to think its the torque tube bearings from what I see on youtube and facebook groups. Sucks that I just paid to have the diff fixed last year and now I'll likely be paying for all of that to come apart. I need to get the car up once it warms up to see if there's a few tests that I can do to confirm the bearing.

I might get them to do the clutch if the trans is out already. Then again I'm get frustrated with having to spend 2k every year on this thing. I might just dip out of the three car lyfe for a while.
How many miles on the car?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 am I got vibration in my drive train when under high load high rpms and starting to think its the torque tube bearings from what I see on youtube and facebook groups. Sucks that I just paid to have the diff fixed last year and now I'll likely be paying for all of that to come apart. I need to get the car up once it warms up to see if there's a few tests that I can do to confirm the bearing.

53k miles i believe.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Hopefully it's something simple like a loose shifter box :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 am
Detroit wrote:
53k miles i believe.
I would be surprised if there was something wrong with the TT at that mileag, but I imagine anything is possible.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:wrong:

:plac:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Hopefully not. Its purely a shudder, but i think I will be able to detect that next time I have it up in he air and could put someone in the drivers seat to give it a spin at various speeds.