Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:07 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 pm Also does anyone know if the cupholder phone mounts work? I just want a place to put my phone so I can control my muzik, and since the cupholder is useless anyways I figured I'd start there.
I've got a Macally one that works well in most cars, but doesn't work in the :jeep:

Rook rike dis:
C5 cupholder is can sized and only about an inch deep so I'm hesitant to buy one
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:03 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 am

If you buy that $80 spring I'm going to laugh at you every post that I see in this C5 thread.
Airboat that bitch if you want a return spring. Don't give in to the man.
I never checked the price. Dafuq you want me to airboat?
The spring you're referencing is a $2 spring attached to a piece custom cut aluminum. You could easily fab this up for just a few bucks and not have to pay the unreal price of your first born child

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L3 ... MMyHaROk0M
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah I could probably make something at work, but is it worth the time? I'm considering buying it, copying it with some scrap I've got at work and sending it back, which would eliminate some guess work and me having to go back and forth under my dash to make sure everything fits correctly.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Some positive news is that two days ago my driver's side window seal decided it would stop leaking while I drive.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:03 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 am

If you buy that $80 spring I'm going to laugh at you every post that I see in this C5 thread.
Airboat that bitch if you want a return spring. Don't give in to the man.
I never checked the price. Dafuq you want me to airboat?
Has anyone introduced you to our Lord and Savior JB Weld?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:04 pm Yeah I could probably make something at work, but is it worth the time? I'm considering buying it, copying it with some scrap I've got at work and sending it back, which would eliminate some guess work and me having to go back and forth under my dash to make sure everything fits correctly.
CeleDeRoo pulling the old SwitchErRoo ....... coincidence? I think not.......
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:04 pm Yeah I could probably make something at work, but is it worth the time? I'm considering buying it, copying it with some scrap I've got at work and sending it back, which would eliminate some guess work and me having to go back and forth under my dash to make sure everything fits correctly.
That spring is easy. Grab a few and try a few different tensions to figure which works best.
That little bracket, literally a piece of raw aluminum stock with a slot cut out of it, and a hole drilled in it, and a tapped screw into the side where a set screw is thrown in.
You can cut aluminum with a lot of things around the house. Or you could fab up your own thing with several pieces where you drill and tap and create your own bracket.
I'm guessing I could make that thing for under $10-15 and then spend the other $70 that I saved from Dr Lingenfelter himself on the www.GimpsGoneWild.com... AND have enough left over to replenish some of my JB Weld stash.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What does this spring do? Most people remove clutch pedal springs...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote:
That spring is easy. Grab a few and try a few different tensions to figure which works best.
That little bracket, literally a piece of raw aluminum stock with a slot cut out of it, and a hole drilled in it, and a tapped screw into the side where a set screw is thrown in.
You can cut aluminum with a lot of things around the house. Or you could fab up your own thing with several pieces where you drill and tap and create your own bracket.
I'm guessing I could make that thing for under $10-15 and then spend the other $70 that I saved from Dr Lingenfelter himself on the www.GimpsGoneWild.com... AND have enough left over to replenish some of my JB Weld stash.
Just use a bungee cord.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 pm What does this spring do? Most people remove clutch pedal springs...
If you haven't fully flushed out the clutch fluid from the slave cylinder the pedal sometimes has a tendency to stick to the floor when you mash it and get higher into the rpms. You have to shove your foot below it and pull it back up. From what I read after it happened to me a full flush of the system solves this, but you've basically got to have the remote bleeder installed to easily bleed it often. The spring just brings it back to zero with more force than the factory setup.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 pm What does this spring do? Most people remove clutch pedal springs...
If you haven't fully flushed out the clutch fluid from the slave cylinder the pedal sometimes has a tendency to stick to the floor when you mash it and get higher into the rpms. You have to shove your foot below it and pull it back up. From what I read after it happened to me a full flush of the system solves this, but you've basically got to have the remote bleeder installed to easily bleed it often. The spring just brings it back to zero with more force than the factory setup.
Interesting...seems like more of a bandaid than anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:35 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm

This is some good insight as to the WHY.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engine ... -speaking/

This is also where the "Ranger" method came in to kind of cheat and replace your fluid, even tho it really isn't replacing anything... Just pulling old shit out and filling it with new shit. I personally get a hose down as deep as possible into my master cylinder and push clean fluid in from as far down as possible (the old black shit comes up and then I remove that from the reservoir). But the proper way is to do a real bleed, but most people don't wanna get down into the bellhousing area to get to the bleed nipple. Hence why the remote bleeder exists.
Last edited by Acid666 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:35 pm
This is some good insight as to the WHY.
This is also where the "Ranger" method came in to kind of cheat and replace your fluid, even tho it really isn't replacing anything... Just pulling old shit out and filling it with new shit. I personally get a hose down as deep as possible into my master cylinder and push clean fluid in from as far down as possible (the old black shit comes up and then I remove that from the reservoir). But the proper way is to do a real bleed, but most people don't wanna get down into the bellhousing area to get to the bleed nipple. Hence why the remote bleeder exists.
Interesting.
Acid666

Forgot the link, Check it

It has a lot to do with the fact that Chevy put the slave cylinder really close to the bellhousing area. And it breaks down the fluid faster there since it's prone to get more heat.
Last edited by Acid666 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Remote bleed line belongs on every :poorvette: con :manuel:
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:44 pm Forgot the link, Check it

It has a lot to do with the fact that Chevy put the slave cylinder really close to the bellhousing area. And it breaks down the fluid faster there since it's prone to get more heat.
Oh wow, I didn't know the details. The slave cylinder is basically IN the bellhousing BTW.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:45 pm Remote bleed line belongs on every :poorvette: con :manuel:
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Reminds me...I need to bleed my clutch.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'll have the clutch bled when I do some other work to it and put some high temp fluid in.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

When I got my :poorvette: the clutch fluid was basically black. it made reverse a pain to get in and first gear was no walk in the park either. Replaced the clutch and tranny fluid and its muy bueno. I've got into the habit of changing the clutch fluid every fill up. :jesus:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:20 pm When I got my :poorvette: the clutch fluid was basically black. it made reverse a pain to get in and first gear was no walk in the park either. Replaced the clutch and tranny fluid and its muy bueno. I've got into the habit of changing the clutch fluid every fill up. :jesus:
:wat: please tell me you meant checking
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 am I was wondering if the frost on the car in the morning may have gotten moisture somewhere in the door and that was the reason? After my spirited drive home the window worked again. Didn't try it this morning since it was pouring.

Has anyone tried high temp fluid for the clutch along with a Lingenfelter return spring?
I use the same fluid as brakes - ATE Bloo. Lots of ATE haters on the web I know, but it’s relatively affordable and hasn’t boiled yet on the track and I’ve cracked rotors so I’m using the brakes hard I think.

I’m going to attempt the bleeding procedure in the trans tunnel next weekend.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:50 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:20 pm When I got my :poorvette: the clutch fluid was basically black. it made reverse a pain to get in and first gear was no walk in the park either. Replaced the clutch and tranny fluid and its muy bueno. I've got into the habit of changing the clutch fluid every fill up. :jesus:
:wat: please tell me you meant checking
:nope: :poorvette: life :thisisfine:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have zero fabrication skills and no garage... I might just blow the $80 on the spring bandaid and do the ranger method 20 more times.... just read all of this.

After reading that article, it sounds like the only real solution is replacing the cylinders and fluid (duh) which is a huge task... seems like the bandaid solution is simple, will work, and is ultimately $10 in brake fluid and $80 for an overpriced part. I don’t mind supporting the bros who made the effort to find a solution, albeit a silly one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo, if you wanna buy and copy I’ll give you $70 for it :lolol: