Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:19 pm Signed up for another track day, 6/2. I'm officially moving out of :waxer: into :stig: :poorvette: territory.

My New Year's Resolution was two days, but it looks like I'll get at least four in.
Not a bad choice, man. Your AARPurple retirement sled is pretty :fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote:Signed up for another track day, 6/2. I'm officially moving out of :waxer: into :stig: :poorvette: territory.

My New Year's Resolution was two days, but it looks like I'll get at least four in.
:fuckyeah: :like:

I told myself I'm going to :doit: too but so far my planning has been nil.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

You guys would love the stories of Q, our local senior with a true gold chainer setup in :melon: and I's local autocross group.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote:You guys would love the stories of Q, our local senior with a true gold chainer setup in :melon: and I's local autocross group.
Send it!
Acid666

First Q story:
Q: "Hey yew guiz.... I'm gonna get these drilled and slotted rotors for the car."
US: "PLEZ TO NOT BE DOESING THIS Q. You will have to jump classes and at your level these rotors will not really help you"
Q: "But I really like teh look! What kind of gainz can I expect with these?"
US: "Once again, at your level, nothing. :melon: and Acid and Jeff are all on the stock brakes and rotors and dogging their classes. You need to get closer to their level before you even consider dropping money on these things"
Q: " I bought the thing. Can one of you halp me install these?" (TRANSLATION: CAN ONE OF YOU INSTALL THEM FOR ME WHILE I WATCH AND NOT HELP)
US: "What pads came with them?"
Q: "I dunno, whatever was in the box"
Installer friend in a text to me: "Dude, the set that Q bought has a giant chunk missing from one of the pads. I'm just gonna install it anyways because he's not gonna know the difference"

Q: "GUIZ, do the front calipers bolt right up to the backs? I want the look of having the same on the fronts and backs"
US: /facepalm

US: "You know you've now gotta race in STU instead of BS right?"
Q: "Why? Just putting these rotors bumps be a class?"
US: "Correct. We told you this before you installed them"
Q: "But I'm not really that competitive... Why do they bump me?"
US: "We know you're not competitive, but you're not stock anymore. You can still compare your times to your people in BS, but just can't really race in it"
Q: "Well I guess that's fine. Should I change the suspension now too?"
US: "You need seat time bruh. Throwing money at the car isn't going to get rid of that 10 second gap between you and the next competitor in BS"
Acid666

Q at a monthly BOD meeting

Q: "We have a Lady driver of the year, and a driver of the year... What do you guys think about a Senior driver of the year?"
Acid666

Q had a Saturn Sky before the C5. With Ferrari stickers and "This is not a Ferrari" in spanish.

Q bought new 245/40/17 RE-71Rs for this car and only used them for 2 autocrosses. He took them off when he sold the car.
He asked is in our group chat
Q: "Hey guiz, I want to use these 245/70s that I had on my Saturn on the Corvette. Can I use them?"
US: "Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....no"
Q: "But they should fit on the stock rims right?"
US: "Lol yeah they'll fit, but they'll be stretched and look goofy as hell"
Q: "ok so if I can find some 9" wheels to fit these on I can run them on the car?"
US: "Dude, if you're going to spend money on new wheels, you're better off getting stock Z06 wheels and then new tires. Do like :melon: and get a 285 square setup or something, but don't spend more on rims just to use a tire that's too small for the car"
Q: "Ok so it will worth then"

Q: "I can't seem to find any rims for this car that are 9" wide, they all start at 9.5"!"
US: "Yeah man, you don't need to be going down that path. We know the corvette tax sucks, but trust us, you're losing more than you're gaining by trying to run those skinny ass new tires. The rear of that LS1 is going to LOVE 245s on the back. You might as well do to a drift day with those. Also, the super fancy front rotors technically have more stopping power than stock, and you're going skinnier with the tread on the front so it's a lose/lose situation"
Q: "Ok I'll look into it some more"

Q: "I've decided to take you guys advice and try to sell these 245s."
US: "Good call Q. We know it sucks, trust us... Corvette tires ain't cheap and we all hate spending on it.. But in the end you're spending extra just to find rims to run these smaller tires on and you're going to get less performance out of it. Just do it right and get the right tires. If it was borderline and some square 255 or 265s, I'd say go for it, but it's just not worth it"
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:crang: 3.0 ?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Fucking Q

Dude has no fucking clue.
Typical baby boomer Corvette owner.
Vinyl stickers, stick on spoiler before he buys tires.
Still doesn't understand why he isn't FTD.

He's gotten faster and faster with more seat time, and he helps out a lot, by the boy ain't bright.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:27 pm C4.5 anyone? :wtf:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 76914.html
6500 pesos? :jalepenis:

6500 rupees? :amir:

6500 dollars? :wat: :nope:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote:First Q story:
Q: "Hey yew guiz.... I'm gonna get these drilled and slotted rotors for the car."
US: "PLEZ TO NOT BE DOESING THIS Q. You will have to jump classes and at your level these rotors will not really help you"
Q: "But I really like teh look! What kind of gainz can I expect with these?"
US: "Once again, at your level, nothing. :melon: and Acid and Jeff are all on the stock brakes and rotors and dogging their classes. You need to get closer to their level before you even consider dropping money on these things"
Q: " I bought the thing. Can one of you halp me install these?" (TRANSLATION: CAN ONE OF YOU INSTALL THEM FOR ME WHILE I WATCH AND NOT HELP)
US: "What pads came with them?"
Q: "I dunno, whatever was in the box"
Installer friend in a text to me: "Dude, the set that Q bought has a giant chunk missing from one of the pads. I'm just gonna install it anyways because he's not gonna know the difference"

Q: "GUIZ, do the front calipers bolt right up to the backs? I want the look of having the same on the fronts and backs"
US: /facepalm

US: "You know you've now gotta race in STU instead of BS right?"
Q: "Why? Just putting these rotors bumps be a class?"
US: "Correct. We told you this before you installed them"
Q: "But I'm not really that competitive... Why do they bump me?"
US: "We know you're not competitive, but you're not stock anymore. You can still compare your times to your people in BS, but just can't really race in it"
Q: "Well I guess that's fine. Should I change the suspension now too?"
US: "You need seat time bruh. Throwing money at the car isn't going to get rid of that 10 second gap between you and the next competitor in BS"
Ok so considering how crangish this guy is, you guys are actually really helpful and kind to this Q. Lol love the Ferrari logo! :derp:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

A few shots from Tennessee.
Also :dock: with G_money for the first time with both of our plates.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:48 pm A few shots from Tennessee.
Also :dock: with G_money for the first time with both of our plates.ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
:fuckyeah:

I love the first shot man. Looks fantastic.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:poorvette:

My car is now emitting a nice whine Image under light throttle. :notsure: if diff or anything else would cause that :disappoint: .

I'll check the fluid when I get a chance and probably live with it until :nuke: :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh, :melon: beat me :lolol:

My TOTD photos blew, those are both great shots, Alan.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am :poorvette:

My car is now emitting a nice whine Image under light throttle. :notsure: if diff or anything else would cause that :disappoint: .

I'll check the fluid when I get a chance and probably live with it until :nuke: :iono:
Da dum duuuuum!
Mine started after Deals FAP 1

Mine is worst right around 60 mph, but it's noticeable from 30mph to 80mph.
Light throttle, about 15%-25% application.

My diff did it before the rebuild, stopped for about 1000 miles, and then started again after a week in TN.
Tail of the dragon = destroyer of C5 diffs it would seem.

FWIW, I've put about 4k miles on the new diff, whine and all. Noise isn't getting worse, and it works well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am :poorvette:

Da dum duuuuum!

My diff did it before the rebuild, stopped for about 1000 miles, and then started again after a week in TN.

FWIW, I've put about 4k miles on the new diff, whine and all. Noise isn't getting worse, and it works well.
Yep, pretty much exact symptoms. Fuck. Oh well... I'll change the fluid and roll with it. Maybe 4.10s will be a part of my future again, although I think a cooling system revamp and seats are first on the agenda.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I did notice the whine first on 40 heading back from the Fap.

:poorvette: :sad:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:08 am
Melon wrote:
Da dum duuuuum!

Yep, pretty much exact symptoms. Fuck. Oh well... I'll change the fluid and roll with it. Maybe 4.10s will be a part of my future again, although I think a cooling system revamp and seats are first on the agenda.
Having the diff rebuilt didn't solve the issue.
I advise you learn to live with it.

160 thermostat, and a 70/30 water/coolant mix.
Also, get a new radiator, one that's less curvy.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think it's just what these diffs do. Mine does part throttle whine between 75 and 85 mph. I just think of it as a racekor and :aintcare: it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

I went back to the Breathless Performance shifter, so my rattle is back. I just deal with it because I love the solid shifts and don't wanna dish out $300+ for an MGW.
I'm waiting on the headers to be ceramic coated and installed... The shop's had them for 3 weeks. They said they've had a shit ton of compressor breakdowns and problems and had to rent one, but my stuff still ain't done. I'm sucking it up 1) because I really don't need them right away and 2) I'm hoping they throw in a nice discount for my wasted time.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 am I went back to the Breathless Performance shifter, so my rattle is back. I just deal with it because I love the solid shifts and don't wanna dish out $300+ for an MGW.
I'm waiting on the headers to be ceramic coated and installed... The shop's had them for 3 weeks. They said they've had a shit ton of compressor breakdowns and problems and had to rent one, but my stuff still ain't done. I'm sucking it up 1) because I really don't need them right away and 2) I'm hoping they throw in a nice discount for my wasted time.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5 ... boxes.html

I did this and with my STOCK shifter, the improvement is fantastic for the price.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 am I went back to the Breathless Performance shifter, so my rattle is back. I just deal with it because I love the solid shifts and don't wanna dish out $300+ for an MGW.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5 ... boxes.html

I did this and with my STOCK shifter, the improvement is fantastic for the price.
The lower box is fine honestly (But I have looked into this link from your previous post and was impressed with the reviews of this dude's work). The rattle is in the "Cross" of the shifter. I tried to shim it with some thickness gauges but it just wasn't happening so I just left it as is.
I'm about to order some motor mounts for the car as well while the headers are out. just gotta get around to it.