Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:09 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm

The batwing oil pan looks pretty accessible. Have you had to replace it as well?
I've had the car up in the air a couple times, and every time I see oil coming from what looks like the lower "batwing" oil pan.

Video for reference.
https://i.imgur.com/uLznpjn.mp4

At this point, I had already sprayed the pan down to get all the oil off. There was also a solid drip coming from the oil filter housing.
I did not replace the oil pan...no need. But I have separated the drivetrain from the body...trust me...the oil pan is not an easy job, unless you're just talking about the lower pan...which isn't your problem.

That looks to me like your oil pressure sensor is leaking. It's on that side of the engine, and when it leaks it trickles down the back/driver side of the block and collects on the bat wing and oil filter...which makes it look like the oil pan. Have you done the oil pressure sensor yet? If not, it might be worth taking the intake manifold off to get a good look at it and check for leaks. That's WAY easier than dropping the subframe and far more common. I've never heard of a C5 oil pan or gasket failing without impact or something.
:dat:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm

The batwing oil pan looks pretty accessible. Have you had to replace it as well?
I've had the car up in the air a couple times, and every time I see oil coming from what looks like the lower "batwing" oil pan.

Video for reference.
https://i.imgur.com/uLznpjn.mp4

At this point, I had already sprayed the pan down to get all the oil off. There was also a solid drip coming from the oil filter housing.
I did not replace the oil pan...no need. But I have separated the drivetrain from the body...trust me...the oil pan is not an easy job, unless you're just talking about the lower pan...which isn't your problem.

That looks to me like your oil pressure sensor is leaking. It's on that side of the engine, and when it leaks it trickles down the back/driver side of the block and collects on the bat wing and oil filter...which makes it look like the oil pan. Have you done the oil pressure sensor yet? If not, it might be worth taking the intake manifold off to get a good look at it and check for leaks. That's WAY easier than dropping the subframe and far more common. I've never heard of a C5 oil pan or gasket failing without impact or something.
I haven't done any sensor or even considered it. . I''ve dropped the subframes on my best friend's c6z at least a half dozen times each. We've got it down to a science, even on jack stands lolol.
Taking off the manifold and meddling around in there makes me uneasy. :derp: I just watched a few videos of ppl doing it on lubetube and it sure looks like a lot more involved/ complicated than expected.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:19 pm

I haven't done any sensor or even considered it. . I''ve dropped the subframes on my best friend's c6z at least a half dozen times each. We've got it down to a science, even on jack stands lolol.
Taking off the manifold and meddling around in there makes me uneasy. :derp: I just watched a few videos of ppl doing it on lubetube and it sure looks like a lot more involved/ complicated than expected.
Griff has done it many times, Acid too I believe. It seems to be pretty doable.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It's really not bad...and more likely your problem. But if you feel like dropping the cross member for fun, go for it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:23 pm
It's really not bad...and more likely your problem. But if you feel like dropping the cross member for fun, go for it.
I'll give 'er a looksee once this rain passes
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm going to disagree and say it's a huge pain in the ass. But it's also quite doable in a day or less by yourself with basic tools.

I'd be willing to bet like five buckaroos that's your issue.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:07 pm I'm going to disagree and say it's a huge pain in the ass. But it's also quite doable in a day or less by yourself with basic tools.

I'm gonna double dog disagree with the disagreement.
You might have the c6 subframe removal down, but no way in hell is it faster and easier than removing the intake manifold to get to the oil pressure sensor. I've got that process down to 10 minutes.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:07 pm I'm going to disagree and say it's a huge pain in the ass. But it's also quite doable in a day or less by yourself with basic tools.

You might have the c6 subframe removal down, but no way in hell is it faster and easier than removing the intake manifold to get to the oil pressure sensor. I've got that process down to 10 minutes.
Right dude but you can build a 747 out of scrap metal and JBWeld.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I ordered some JB Weld on Amazon today, gotta be prepared for the apocalypse.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:15 pm I ordered some JB Weld on Amazon today, gotta be prepared for the apocalypse.
Replied to your pm
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I'm gonna double dog disagree with the disagreement. :lolgasm:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I'm assuming the only way to check is to rip the mani off and hook the peepers on the sensor?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm not saying it's harder the dropping the sub frame. BUT I've done this OPS job three times now and it still takes me 4+ hours from start to finish. I don't see how 10 minutes is possible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 pm I'm assuming the only way to check is to rip the mani off and hook the peepers on the sensor?
It's not even easy to see/access with the manifold off, but yeah.

If you go through all that effort, just replace the sensor. It's worth it.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:52 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 pm I'm assuming the only way to check is to rip the mani off and hook the peepers on the sensor?

just bought the sensor now waiting on gaskets.

yet another thing to add to my quarantine list lolol
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

ALSO...

Anyone selling c5 carpets?

Acid666

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I'm not saying it's harder the dropping the sub frame. BUT I've done this OPS job three times now and it still takes me 4+ hours from start to finish. I don't see how 10 minutes is possible.
I was more replying to Purp there. And 10 minutes was just in terms of removing the intake manifold.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:52 pm

just bought the sensor now waiting on gaskets.

yet another thing to add to my quarantine list lolol
Mine is quite long, that will he my weekend.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I was more replying to Purp there. And 10 minutes was just in terms of removing the intake manifold.
I’m not calling :bs: by any means, you just have superior air boat skills and tools.

IM off in 10 is doable, probably takes me 20.

In4issuebeingfixedwithasensor
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:16 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:08 pm ALSO...

Anyone selling c5 carpets?

:wat: in tarnation is going on here?
mold on my passenger side carpet. Had to rip her out
Acid666

I bet you got a gasket that's bad in the upper door window. Mind leaked when I had to keep it outside of the garage for a week or so. Didn't know it was leaking till I opened it up and the inside was damp.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Mine leaks from both windows
troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote:Mine leaks from both windows
I fixed the driver's side but never got around to the other side.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:Mine leaks from both windows
I fixed the driver's side but never got around to the other side.
DFD. Where cars get to hear from their former owners after its too late.
troyguitar

It's not supposed to rain in CA.