Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm How could the promised land do this to me?

:sad:
:doomed:
:pouroneout:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm How could the promised land do this to me?

Ouch,

Time to start picking out the new shade of paint you want, I bet it will be hard as hell to match what you've got....
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:44 pm

Ouch,

Time to start picking out the new shade of paint you want, I bet it will be hard as hell to match what you've got....
I'm most likely getting the entire car resprayed. My uncle will be doing the damage estimate, and he was already working on mixing the color for front bumper repairs.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:ohdang:
:rage:

Sorry mang.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

What happened?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:03 pmWhat happened?
Sitting at a stop sign in a Food Lion parking lot, and an 84 year old women took a left turn right into my car. Claimed she didn't see us, but she was staring blankly right into my windshield so I told the cops something might have been happening with her and they checked her out. No injuries and it sounds like she notified her insurance already that she's 100% at fault.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 pm
Sitting at a stop sign in a Food Lion parking lot, and an 84 year old women took a left turn right into my car. Claimed she didn't see us, but she was staring blankly right into my windshield so I told the cops something might have been happening with her and they checked her out. No injuries and it sounds like she notified her insurance already that she's 100% at fault.
Time for a dashcam bruh
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Getting that green beauty painted a single shade of green :doe:

:excited:

That old lady needs to hang up the keys IMO, she's going to kill someone one day soon.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 pm
Fuck. :(
Glad no one was hurt, :doe:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:02 pm Getting that green beauty painted a single shade of green :doe:

That old lady needs to hang up the keys IMO, she's going to kill someone one day soon.
My mom was 84 when we pretty much forced her to give up driving because we didn't want something like this, or worse, to happen to her.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:27 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:02 pm Getting that green beauty painted a single shade of green :doe:

My mom was 84 when we pretty much forced her to give up driving because we didn't want something like this, or worse, to happen to her.
It sucks to lose that freedom but these Denisovians gotta do more walking or learn to take a taxi/uber unfortunately. Sucks to get old :sad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap

Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:30 pm
wap wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:27 pm
It sucks to lose that freedom but these Denisovians gotta do more walking or learn to take a taxi/uber unfortunately. Sucks to get old :sad:
:notbad: :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Oh man, sadness.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I had the issue of a leaky valve stem come back Friday at the track. Fortunately it happened after my final session and I was able to pump it up and get the car home. I figured it was just my FIL's place sucking last time, but now I went to a AAA location. I'm sure they will fix it but :rolleyes: . I will make sure to get Cale's Michelins mounted before heading to VIR Thursday so I can bring a spare or two. Getting a bum tire in the middle of nowhere A wouldn't be ideal.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

https://youtu.be/KV2Zp82dQTo

More forumbro mpg. Hand calc'd to 31.7 actually. Dat E-free fuel
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Paging @Detroit here, although I'd welcome opinions from others who've owned or been around cammed LS motors before - would you daily drive one?

Specifically looking at a G8 GT with the Brian Tooley stage 2 LS3 cam - https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-camsh ... 38134.html

Specs are 225.4/238.2 .620"/.605" 113+3, and BTR claim it "maintains stock driving characteristics". The car also has a 2600-2800 Circle D stall, which should play nice for daily duties. My old Grand Prix GTP had a mild cam in it and I had zero problems in any kind of hot or cold weather, didn't have any driveability issues either, but not sure if the LS motors would behave any differently since that car had the benefit of a roots blower on top. On one hand it's nice that I wouldn't need to worry about DoD, but I don't know if I really want one with a lumpy cam for a daily.

:like:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Cracked radiator on passenger side. If i was single and had the room I'd start parting this thing out. I debated topping off the coolant with distilked water and trading it in on a truck today. Oh that's just ac condensate, boss. 😂
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:55 am So I had the issue of a leaky valve stem come back Friday at the track. Fortunately it happened after my final session and I was able to pump it up and get the car home. I figured it was just my FIL's place sucking last time, but now I went to a AAA location. I'm sure they will fix it but :rolleyes: . I will make sure to get Cale's Michelins mounted before heading to VIR Thursday so I can bring a spare or two. Getting a bum tire in the middle of nowhere A wouldn't be ideal.
Leaky valve stems are the worst.

Even worse with aluminum wheels, with aluminum stems, in an area where salt is used excessively.
Took it back and they replaced it again. The dude said that the sensor somehow turned around which caused it to tear. I need to do more research on this... I might just have to remove all of the sensors and live without which would be :disappoint: but it seems like an ongoing issue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

NeonJonny wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 pm Cracked radiator on passenger side. If i was single and had the room I'd start parting this thing out. I debated topping off the coolant with distilked water and trading it in on a truck today. Oh that's just ac condensate, boss. 😂
:disappoint: :foreveralone:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:07 pm Paging @Detroit here, although I'd welcome opinions from others who've owned or been around cammed LS motors before - would you daily drive one?

Specifically looking at a G8 GT with the Brian Tooley stage 2 LS3 cam - https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-camsh ... 38134.html

Specs are 225.4/238.2 .620"/.605" 113+3, and BTR claim it "maintains stock driving characteristics". The car also has a 2600-2800 Circle D stall, which should play nice for daily duties. My old Grand Prix GTP had a mild cam in it and I had zero problems in any kind of hot or cold weather, didn't have any driveability issues either, but not sure if the LS motors would behave any differently since that car had the benefit of a roots blower on top. On one hand it's nice that I wouldn't need to worry about DoD, but I don't know if I really want one with a lumpy cam for a daily.

Would be epic. In4link to the car... I don't have real world experience really. I drove a GTO with a cam at one point and it was perfectly fine on the street but the :dillerman: didn't even know what the mods were so I backed out of that car pretty quickly. It seems like plenty of people :doit: though.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:07 pm Paging @Detroit here, although I'd welcome opinions from others who've owned or been around cammed LS motors before - would you daily drive one?

I daily'd my C5 with a BTR stage 2 LS1 cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2. It absolutely drove like stock 99% of the time, and I had no issues with it.

The tune is by far the most critical aspect of a cam install. When I first finished my car, I had a DIY dude put a basic tune on the car so I could break in the clutch for a dyno tune. It drove fine, but had a ton of little issues. I took good notes of what was wrong, and when I had it dyno tuned, I had the guy spend some time street tuning it. That fixed most of the issues, but it still wasn't perfect, so I bought HP Tuners and fine tuned it myself. The issues I had were minor just driving around town stuff, so I was able to iron out most of the issues. The street tune is absolutely critical, and I'd want to make sure it was tuned by a very experienced and solid tuner. Also when test driving, put it through all the dumb shit of stop and go traffic, idling through parking lots, and hot starts. Make sure it's solid, otherwise plan for some money to go to a tuner.

So this car has a cam that's very similar to mine...I'd consider that a bit past "mild" for the car, but with the right tune it could drive like stock. I'd want to know more about the details of the valvetrain...it better have some beefy springs and new lifters at a minimum for those lift numbers. I'd be :notsure: if they just slapped a cam in with stock valvetrain. Day to day reliability is important, not sure ripping down the drag strip.

If I did it all over again, I would have gone small on the cam for a 5.7 (something in the low 220 duration range) with lift in the .5XX range. I'd spend any real money on heads. My car was a "freak" to my dyno tuner because he said he had never seen a car with a cam like mine putting down what it did (443whp). The heads were the fanciest that Livernois made, heavily ported with bigger lighter valves and all the fanciness. He agreed that those were probably the biggest difference. Nice thing about heads is they won't impact day to day drivability too much, but can be tuned to rip.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:36 am I daily'd my C5 with a BTR stage 2 LS1 cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2. It absolutely drove like stock 99% of the time, and I had no issues with it.

The tune is by far the most critical aspect of a cam install. When I first finished my car, I had a DIY dude put a basic tune on the car so I could break in the clutch for a dyno tune. It drove fine, but had a ton of little issues. I took good notes of what was wrong, and when I had it dyno tuned, I had the guy spend some time street tuning it. That fixed most of the issues, but it still wasn't perfect, so I bought HP Tuners and fine tuned it myself. The issues I had were minor just driving around town stuff, so I was able to iron out most of the issues. The street tune is absolutely critical, and I'd want to make sure it was tuned by a very experienced and solid tuner. Also when test driving, put it through all the dumb shit of stop and go traffic, idling through parking lots, and hot starts. Make sure it's solid, otherwise plan for some money to go to a tuner.

So this car has a cam that's very similar to mine...I'd consider that a bit past "mild" for the car, but with the right tune it could drive like stock. I'd want to know more about the details of the valvetrain...it better have some beefy springs and new lifters at a minimum for those lift numbers. I'd be :notsure: if they just slapped a cam in with stock valvetrain. Day to day reliability is important, not sure ripping down the drag strip.

If I did it all over again, I would have gone small on the cam for a 5.7 (something in the low 220 duration range) with lift in the .5XX range. I'd spend any real money on heads. My car was a "freak" to my dyno tuner because he said he had never seen a car with a cam like mine putting down what it did (443whp). The heads were the fanciest that Livernois made, heavily ported with bigger lighter valves and all the fanciness. He agreed that those were probably the biggest difference. Nice thing about heads is they won't impact day to day drivability too much, but can be tuned to rip.
Thanks.

So for a bit more background on the car, the guy is an "ASE Certified" auto technician, and he did the cam swap himself. Car has the BTR dual valve springs, ti retainers, new rods and LS7 lifters. He sent me a 30 minute walkaround video, half of which was going through the cam swap and talking about what all he replaced during the job. Seemed pretty clear he was incredibly thorough. The job included a verrrry slight mill on the heads just to get a clean surface, and he had the shop do a 3 angle valve job while they were off, but otherwise the heads are stock. He didn't swap the intake valves to LS3 valves like I see recommended for cams with .600" lift or higher, since they're lighter(hollow) versus the L76 valves. He then took the car to what appears to be a reputable shop to do the dyno tune, where it put down 413/383 on a Mustang dyno. Started right up on cold start, but don't have any driving video.

If it were my car I'd definitely have done something like the Livernois 1C with more head work. The 3800 supercharged cars behaved exactly like you describe too. Cars with my setup usually put down about 300whp on stock heads, do some real head work and they'd do close to 350. Stock 3800 heads are :poop: :lol: . Do a hotter cam and you may get 365, but to get much past that you needed higher compression due to the tiny blower, or a better power adder.

Blah. Should just wait for another lower mileage, reasonably priced stock one to get listed and pick that up and leave it that way, and hope the DoD lifters don't :nuke:. Can't imagine it wouldn't be enough for a daily. This one is Stryker Bloo, though. :megusta:
Last edited by coogles on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am Would be epic. In4link to the car... I don't have real world experience really. I drove a GTO with a cam at one point and it was perfectly fine on the street but the :dillerman: didn't even know what the mods were so I backed out of that car pretty quickly. It seems like plenty of people :doit: though.
Is dis juan. It's a super clean car from what I can tell in photos and the walkaround he sent me, but dude has no idea how to photograph a car.

https://www.g8board.com/threads/09-pont ... st-3696873

Camaro wheels have got to go. Inb4 somebody else goes and buys it.

Last edited by coogles on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am Would be epic. In4link to the car... I don't have real world experience really. I drove a GTO with a cam at one point and it was perfectly fine on the street but the :dillerman: didn't even know what the mods were so I backed out of that car pretty quickly. It seems like plenty of people :doit: though.
Is dis juan. It's a super clean car from what I can tell in photos and the walkaround he sent me, but dude has no idea how to photograph a car.

https://www.g8board.com/threads/09-pont ... st-3696873

Camaro wheels have got to go. Inb4 somebody else goes and buys it.
That looks like a sweet dad-mobile. :like: