Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Last TPMS I got was like $15 for an acdelco off Amazon. :iono: $60 seems cheap to me to keep a dash light from staying on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:12 am Last TPMS I got was like $15 for an acdelco off Amazon. :iono: $60 seems cheap to me to keep a dash light from staying on.
Corvette ones are like $200/set at least from anywhere I've been, even with my father in law "discounting them" for me, they were $45 each.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:12 am Last TPMS I got was like $15 for an acdelco off Amazon. :iono: $60 seems cheap to me to keep a dash light from staying on.
Corvette ones are like $200/set at least from anywhere I've been, even with my father in law "discounting them" for me, they were $45 each.
:doomed:

Better sell the car instead.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I think the previous owner on mine disabled them. Because I don't remember asking for it to be tuned out when I removed the O2 sensors and EGR system.
Oh wait yeah he must have, because it came with the Forgestars and ole boi skimped out.
I wouldn't mind them if I could get pressures from them in the car instead of just a "Low Pressure" warning.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:17 am

I think the previous owner on mine disabled them. Because I don't remember asking for it to be tuned out when I removed the O2 sensors and EGR system.
Oh wait yeah he must have, because it came with the Forgestars and ole boi skimped out.
I wouldn't mind them if I could get pressures from them in the car instead of just a "Low Pressure" warning.
I'm pretty sure Z06's didn't have the TPMS system...

It is convenient in that they display actual pressures on demand, but they're old tech that must be pretty costly to produce.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

All C5s have this feature. If it wasn't the individual readings, it would be totally useless and not worth paying for IMO. Individual readings are cool for track/autox as you can see which corner(s) are heating up the most and even learn things like "wow I am really over driving the front end".
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:21 am

I'm pretty sure Z06's didn't have the TPMS system...

It is convenient in that they display actual pressures on demand, but they're old tech that must be pretty costly to produce.
Oh, weird. :themoreyouknow:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 am Image

Met Cale and Swedish Chef yesterday :excited:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dat Altima :jimp:
Or is it a Sentra? :jimp: :jimp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

wap wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 am Image

Met Cale and Swedish Chef yesterday :excited:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sentra. His :egg: battery died while doing some changes with a :tuna:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:31 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Sentra. His :egg: battery died while doing some changes with a :tuna:
🧱
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Man my car always looks better when other people take pictures of it :wub:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:41 pm Man my car always looks better when other people take pictures of it :wub:
It looked epic post your detail. :iono: though, these are old cars we use quite a bit, they get dirty and shit :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Installed new serpentine belt and tensioner today. The belt had "walked" another rib again, looking at it running, this tensioner is dead still while my old one oscillated so I think the spring was just worn and the belt a little stretched. Hopefully that fixes that. My RH light also stopped popping up the other day on the way home from getting new :225: . I pulled out the fuse and it looked fine. I swapped it with the LH fuse just to be sure and now they both work :wtf: . Maybe the fuse just got loose or something :iono: but I will take the easy/free fix.

I haven't had a chance to drive on my new tires other than two miles home from the tire place in the rain. :popcorn: for my track session tonight at Charlotte, grip should be pretty immense.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am Installed new serpentine belt and tensioner today. The belt had "walked" another rib again, looking at it running, this tensioner is dead still while my old one oscillated so I think the spring was just worn and the belt a little stretched. Hopefully that fixes that. My RH light also stopped popping up the other day on the way home from getting new :225: . I pulled out the fuse and it looked fine. I swapped it with the LH fuse just to be sure and now they both work :wtf: . Maybe the fuse just got loose or something :iono: but I will take the easy/free fix.

I haven't had a chance to drive on my new tires other than two miles home from the tire place in the rain. :popcorn: for my track session tonight at Charlotte, grip should be pretty immense.
When are you switching to r-comps?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:29 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am Installed new serpentine belt and tensioner today. The belt had "walked" another rib again, looking at it running, this tensioner is dead still while my old one oscillated so I think the spring was just worn and the belt a little stretched. Hopefully that fixes that. My RH light also stopped popping up the other day on the way home from getting new :225: . I pulled out the fuse and it looked fine. I swapped it with the LH fuse just to be sure and now they both work :wtf: . Maybe the fuse just got loose or something :iono: but I will take the easy/free fix.

Never? It just opens up a big can of worms I don't want to go down. I would need to invest in a hitch basket to get them to the track, probably would need to rethink all of my brake/suspension parts as well to not tear shit up, add additional cooling, etc.

I think I'm kind of set at this "HPDE2/3 street car with mild track prep" stage for the foreseeable future. Maybe one day I'll get into some actual racing like spec 350Z or something, but it's a different financial/time commitment entirely.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:37 am

Never? It just opens up a big can of worms I don't want to go down. I would need to invest in a hitch basket to get them to the track, probably would need to rethink all of my brake/suspension parts as well to not tear shit up, add additional cooling, etc.

I think I'm kind of set at this "HPDE2/3 street car with mild track prep" stage for the foreseeable future. Maybe one day I'll get into some actual racing like spec 350Z or something, but it's a different financial/time commitment entirely.
:pout:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Lower grip tires are just as, if not more fun as long as they're predictable and last awhile.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:50 am

Lower grip tires are just as, if not more fun as long as they're predictable and last awhile.
I’d get like 2-3 events out of good performance street tires and switched up to Nitto NT01s or similar. Great grip but I wasn’t losing 4-6 inch stripes of rubber each weekend.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:50 am

:word:

I was really happy to get about 7 or 8 track days + accompanying street miles/mountain trips out of the Falkens, hence getting them again. Curious to see how different it is with 275 instead of 255. Front end grip should be pretty massive.
Acid666

Headlight not popping up is usually the rubber stops. Ask me how I know
As soon as I can dig up the info for you I will. Basically when the headlight retracts, there's nothing telling it exactly when to stop and it bottoms out on the rubber pads. Rubber pads become worn and the worm gear basically torques the tab into that rubber stop and it can't overpower it to pop it back up.
Worm gears usually break, but you'll hear that grind. I replaced one of mine and it still sticks because now the problem is that it digs itself in
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:04 am

As soon as I can dig up the info for you I will. Basically when the headlight retracts, there's nothing telling it exactly when to stop and it bottoms out on the rubber pads. Rubber pads become worn and the worm gear basically torques the tab into that rubber stop and it can't overpower it to pop it back up.
Worm gears usually break, but you'll hear that grind. I replaced one of mine and it still sticks because now the problem is that it digs itself in
Interesting, I didn't know that. I did have the gear break on the LH when I first got the car six years ago, but this one didn't have the grinding noises or even "try" to go up, so seems to be a different issue.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:19 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:04 am

Interesting, I didn't know that. I did have the gear break on the LH when I first got the car six years ago, but this one didn't have the grinding noises or even "try" to go up, so seems to be a different issue.

Yeah it's cuz it gets stuck in that rubber and doesn't have the torque to pull itself out.
Try this, because this is what I do. If it doesn't pop up, open the hood and turn that knob that manually cranks the headlight up..... Crank it maybe a turn or two. Turn it to where you see the headlight want to start to rise. Then go back in the car and turn em on and see if they pop up. If they do, it's likely because it's stuck on that rubber knub.
I can pop mine about 3-4 times before they get stuck and have to be manually "released".

I remember digging into it a while back and some guy had figured out a good material to order replacement rubber stops and was selling them. I probably have it bookmarked on my home computer. I just never pulled the trigger because I didn't take the car out much and didn't worry about it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

For all the issues I had with mine, the headlights were never one of them.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Yeah it's cuz it gets stuck in that rubber and doesn't have the torque to pull itself out.
Try this, because this is what I do. If it doesn't pop up, open the hood and turn that knob that manually cranks the headlight up..... Crank it maybe a turn or two. Turn it to where you see the headlight want to start to rise. Then go back in the car and turn em on and see if they pop up. If they do, it's likely because it's stuck on that rubber knub.
I can pop mine about 3-4 times before they get stuck and have to be manually "released".

I remember digging into it a while back and some guy had figured out a good material to order replacement rubber stops and was selling them. I probably have it bookmarked on my home computer. I just never pulled the trigger because I didn't take the car out much and didn't worry about it.
Oh I did give that a couple turns then turned it back, maybe that was why it started working, not the fuses :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

How could the promised land do this to me?