Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:06 pmPower :doe:
If that's the #1, I'd think strongly about offing it for an LS3 C6.
It's not... but it's always fun.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Man, buy yourself a piece of shit Miata and just go to town on it. That's what I'm doing and it honestly makes me not wanna spend money on the vette.
I'm anxious to look at motor swaps next year and shit. Gonna be a lil beast full of kitty litter
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:35 pm Man, buy yourself a piece of shit Miata and just go to town on it. That's what I'm doing and it honestly makes me not wanna spend money on the vette.
I'm anxious to look at motor swaps next year and shit. Gonna be a lil beast full of kitty litter
I can't track Miatas... too tall to broomstick :sad: I would've bought an S2000 already if this wasn't a thing. I have a Miata once, they are fun, but I enjoy the power and V8 noises. If I ever move on from the C5 for a fun car/track toy, I'd probably go for something mid engine.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:56 pm 0/7 would not do headers on a track car. Leave that thing at stock power. Get some nice front brakes from AP Racing if anything, or look at suspension.
I need dat HCI :doe:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

took ye old :poorvette: out to the backroads this sunday with some fast friends of mine. I'm going to autox this Saturday so I decided more seat time was in order.

any driving critque is appreciated. I'm still getting used to it.

Acid666

Purpc5z wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:16 am took ye old :poorvette: out to the backroads this sunday with some fast friends of mine. I'm going to autox this Saturday so I decided more seat time was in order.

any driving critque is appreciated. I'm still getting used to it.

Post a video of your run(s) and I'll help you out. Try to get a camera angle showing your hands and forwards. I put my camera on the b pillar behind my head. My main thing is I need to see where my hands are and be able to see over the glass where I can see the course. Search acidbath666 on YouTube and you'll find all my autox clips.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:38 pm

Gears are like $3k :iono:

If you moved to NC or Florida, You could off the truck and DD the C5.
Paying someone all the labor is $3k. Just to have the diff rebuilt with new gears is $1-$2k. I paid $1k for mine at the rear end shop with me bringing them the diff and sourcing most of the parts (C6Z beefed up stuff, they cut me a break on the gears cost).

If you have a place to park it for a while, getting the diff out yourself isn't a huge deal IMO.
Having RTK do mine was about $2,250 all in.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:34 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:44 pm
Paying someone all the labor is $3k. Just to have the diff rebuilt with new gears is $1-$2k. I paid $1k for mine at the rear end shop with me bringing them the diff and sourcing most of the parts (C6Z beefed up stuff, they cut me a break on the gears cost).

If you have a place to park it for a while, getting the diff out yourself isn't a huge deal IMO.
Yea, but how much of that was shipping?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

IIRC the local shop here said they could do it for $2K if I just drop the car off. I'd go that route I think.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:31 am IIRC the local shop here said they could do it for $2K if I just drop the car off. I'll go that route I think.
FTFY
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:31 am IIRC the local shop here said they could do it for $2K if I just drop the car off. I'd go that route I think.
That's a solid deal IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 am
Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:34 am

About $150 I'd say. $75 there, and $75 back.
I sent it off to a company with a great reputation, don't know of anyone around here I'd trust.
You got lucky.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:31 am IIRC the local shop here said they could do it for $2K if I just drop the car off. I'd go that route I think.
That's the business.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 am
I sent it off to a company with a great reputation, don't know of anyone around here I'd trust.
You got lucky.
I did. The place 15 minutes from my house has done tons of them, so it was an easy thing.

But I'd have confidence in any driveline shop that's done a number of C5/6 diffs. You can tell in talking to them because they'll know that they require special tools and are somewhat unique to setup. One place I called told me they don't touch them as soon as I told them it was a C5.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:04 am

You got lucky.
I did. The place 15 minutes from my house has done tons of them, so it was an easy thing.

But I'd have confidence in any driveline shop that's done a number of C5/6 diffs. You can tell in talking to them because they'll know that they require special tools and are somewhat unique to setup. One place I called told me they don't touch them as soon as I told them it was a C5.
When I went and got some 4L60E rebuild quotes I asked this one performance shop about regearing C5 diffs and the second they mentioned 3 rib, I figured they knew what they were doing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

You got lucky.

Yeah it just depends on where you live... the place I got quoted by also seems great, solid reputation with the local SCCA guys, lots of GM experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 am

When I went and got some 4L60E rebuild quotes I asked this one performance shop about regearing C5 diffs and the second they mentioned 3 rib, I figured they knew what they were doing.
Yep, that's a great sign.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:22 am

Yeah it just depends on where you live... the place I got quoted by also seems great, solid reputation with the local SCCA guys, lots of GM experience.
Also a great sign. I'd take the car there and have them do the diff for that price. Probably throw in an LS7 clutch and remote bleeder for another $500 or so and be done with the drivetrain forever.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I asked several local Corvette guys, and they all said no one locally knew what they were doing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:22 am

Also a great sign. I'd take the car there and have them do the diff for that price. Probably throw in an LS7 clutch and remote bleeder for another $500 or so and be done with the drivetrain forever.
That was the one annoying thing... they "don't do clutch work" which is kind of :rolleyes: . My clutch is honestly fine with the :wastefull: spring, but I'd love to just replace and add the bleeder while I'm in there anyways, as te :wasteful: spring is kind of ghetto.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 am
That was the one annoying thing... they "don't do clutch work" which is kind of :rolleyes: . My clutch is honestly fine with the :wastefull: spring, but I'd love to just replace and add the bleeder while I'm in there anyways, as te :wasteful: spring is kind of ghetto.
:wat:

Diff is 95% of the labor for a clutch job. They "don't do clutch work"? Installing a clutch is WAY easier than rebuilding a differential. Weird.

Maybe they can get the diff out without fully removing the torque tube and trans.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:47 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 am

Diff is 95% of the labor for a clutch job. They "don't do clutch work"? Installing a clutch is WAY easier than rebuilding a differential. Weird.

Maybe they can get the diff out without fully removing the torque tube and trans.
They just said that they are fully booked with diff stuff and it's not worth their time basically. Fair enough, they know their business. I haven't really looked into it but I could probably replace the clutch myself I think?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:47 am

They just said that they are fully booked with diff stuff and it's not worth their time basically. Fair enough, they know their business. I haven't really looked into it but I could probably replace the clutch myself I think?
You could totally replace the clutch yourself. But if you're doing that, you're taking the torque tube, trans, and diff out. I'd HIGHLY recommend taking the diff out yourself and just dropping it off at the shop for rebuild and gears. Then you're not paying their labor, and is likely closer to $1k total cost. A basic LS7 clutch and remote bleeder is "only" ~$400 or so.

Do it in your new carport and drive the BMW while the car is down.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 am

You could totally replace the clutch yourself. But if you're doing that, you're taking the torque tube, trans, and diff out. I'd HIGHLY recommend taking the diff out yourself and just dropping it off at the shop for rebuild and gears. Then you're not paying their labor, and is likely closer to $1k total cost. A basic LS7 clutch and remote bleeder is "only" ~$400 or so.

Do it in your new carport and drive the BMW while the car is down.
Probably a :notbad: idea. Welcome myself to the new neighborhood with a car on jackstands for two weeks :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

If these guys do this much volume, they certainly know what they're doing which is awesome. I wonder if they rebuild for distributors. I'd have a hard time believing they have that many people coming to them for diff rebuilds.