Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CaleDeRoo wrote:Why TF are seat covers $1000
You need some for non-sport seats? I have a pair that Chris gave me but I never got around to installing... Free.50 if you want. They're black w/ silver accents IIRC.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Might be able to get these seats for cheap or a straight trade for mine. The only issue is the rear on the bolster on the driver's seat. Do you know if the covers can be swapped from one seat to another? Any pics of those covers though in case I don't end up with these?Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm Might be able to get these seats for cheap or a straight trade for mine. The only issue is the rear on the bolster on the driver's seat. Do you know if the covers can be swapped from one seat to another? Any pics of those covers though in case I don't end up with these?

You can take the covers off of them. It's a skeleton shell underneath full of foam. I completely removed mine when finding some issues and tore it completely down to the structure. I wanna say it's nearly all removable. I can't find pics in my imgur of me doing it tho.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:21 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:15 pm Might be able to get these seats for cheap or a straight trade for mine. The only issue is the rear on the bolster on the driver's seat. Do you know if the covers can be swapped from one seat to another? Any pics of those covers though in case I don't end up with these?

You can take the covers off of them. It's a skeleton shell underneath full of foam. I completely removed mine when finding some issues and tore it completely down to the structure. I wanna say it's nearly all removable. I can't find pics in my imgur of me doing it tho.
Yeah I was just wondering if the covers can be swapped driver to passenger etc. I'd just put the ripped cover on the passenger seat if that's the case.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Yeah I was just wondering if the covers can be swapped driver to passenger etc. I'd just put the ripped cover on the passenger seat if that's the case.
I'm pretty sure you can, only problem might be the holes where the lever goes on the left and right side of the seat. Might wanna look at that.
I have a seat out of the car in my spare bedroom that I can look at, but it's behind a bunch of shit. But if you really need I can look.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm
I'm pretty sure you can, only problem might be the holes where the lever goes on the left and right side of the seat. Might wanna look at that.
I have a seat out of the car in my spare bedroom that I can look at, but it's behind a bunch of shit. But if you really need I can look.
Looks like that might not be a problem if swapping just backs. I could always just walk the 30ft to my car and casually look.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

IIRC you can't (easily) swap the covers left to right. They have different material where they rub the tunnel.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:32 pm IIRC you can't (easily) swap the covers left to right. They have different material where they rub the tunnel.
Yep.

Not leather, but some fabric next to the tunnel to help wear.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:04 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:Why TF are seat covers $1000
You need some for non-sport seats? I have a pair that Chris gave me but I never got around to installing... Free.50 if you want. They're black w/ silver accents IIRC.
IIRC they have Z06 logos on the headrests.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:32 pm IIRC you can't (easily) swap the covers left to right. They have different material where they rub the tunnel.
Yep.

Not leather, but some fabric next to the tunnel to help wear.
Might be squeeky too.

:rage:
ChrisoftheNorth

After having my :poorvette: listed for sale for nearly 2 months now, first on CL then on Facebook Marketplace :disgust: I finally got what seems to be a real "offer"

I'm down to $16.5 for :science: and the dude offers $14.5k.

I tell him no, and he comes back with $15.5 because he needs to take out a loan and drive from Cincinnati. It took all I had to not respond with IDGAF about your logistics, but I told him thanks, but no thanks...it's worth more to me than that, plus I don't want to deal with potential bank :bs: getting scammed, etc.

I've gotten a few offers to trade for "sweet Harleys", which speaks volumes about the market this thing appeals to, but it looks like I finally have a "market value" on the car, which is ~$15k as I suspected.

Car's worth more to me than that. Probably going to pull the listing so I don't have to deal with more Harley bros. I also managed to get a negative seller rating on Facebook marketplace without actually selling anything because I "don't respond fast enough to messages". :impressive: Fuck that shit. I don't think I'm ever going to sell another car private party ever. I'd rather trade the fucker in for $12k or whatever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah I'm basically :aintcare: about mine now because of these prices. I'll lose whatever I lose.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 am Yeah I'm basically :aintcare: about mine now because of these prices. I'll lose whatever I lose.
I think stock cars with low miles will maintain their values. Modded ones like mine with higher miles (above 50k) are worthless.

Good thing I really like the car and have almost zero motivation to sell it. Keeping it is a desired outcome TBH. If I ever do decide to off it, I'll probably just leave it parked in SW Detroit for the weekend.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 am Yeah I'm basically :aintcare: about mine now because of these prices. I'll lose whatever I lose.
I think stock cars with low miles will maintain their values. Modded ones like mine with higher miles (above 50k) are worthless.

Good thing I really like the car and have almost zero motivation to sell it. Keeping it is a desired outcome TBH. If I ever do decide to off it, I'll probably just leave it parked in SW Detroit for the weekend.
I'll probably turn 55k miles this weekend. Had 48k when I bought it. :foreveralone:

I still have the urge for mods but I'm really trying to hold off on them. I'd fucking love some M parallel :ramz: Image

ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 am
Detroit wrote: I think stock cars with low miles will maintain their values. Modded ones like mine with higher miles (above 50k) are worthless.

I'll probably turn 55k miles this weekend. Had 48k when I bought it. :foreveralone:

I still have the urge for mods but I'm really trying to hold off on them. I'd fucking love some M parallel :ramz: Image

If you don't get into the engine and tuning, I think your fine. Bolt ons like an axle back or :ramz: are probably OK if you keep the stock parts.

My car is way more fun now than it was stock, and more reliable to boot. People just don't see it that way. One dude wasted my time with a "I wish the car wasn't modded, I'd buy it tomorrow" message, to which I responded with my maintenance log and build BOM list...to which he said "a lady down the street has a 25k mile car that she's the original owner of, I'd rather have that".

Then the fucker messages me a few days later saying that the lady's car down the street had a dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and was leaking. Yeah bro, low miles mean it sat and women don't know shit about preventative maintenance. How that's more desirable than my car is completely beyond me. People are retards.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 am I'll probably turn 55k miles this weekend. Had 48k when I bought it. :foreveralone:

If you don't get into the engine and tuning, I think your fine. Bolt ons like an axle back or :ramz: are probably OK if you keep the stock parts.

My car is way more fun now than it was stock, and more reliable to boot. People just don't see it that way. One dude wasted my time with a "I wish the car wasn't modded, I'd buy it tomorrow" message, to which I responded with my maintenance log and build BOM list...to which he said "a lady down the street has a 25k mile car that she's the original owner of, I'd rather have that".

Then the fucker messages me a few days later saying that the lady's car down the street had a dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and was leaking. Yeah bro, low miles mean it sat and women don't know shit about preventative maintenance. How that's more desirable than my car is completely beyond me. People are retards.
I actually wish my Brola was louder. Two minutes into a drive it gets a nice volume and tone, then another couple minutes later it quiets down and I can barely hear it even with the windows down or top off. The car feels underpowered though too so idk.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am

I actually wish my Brola was louder. Two minutes into a drive it gets a nice volume and tone, then another couple minutes later it quiets down and I can barely hear it even with the windows down or top off. The car feels underpowered though too so idk.
These things are so much damned fun with more power. Heads/cam is epic...but more importantly I think are the gears. 4.10's transform the thing.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:45 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 am

These things are so much damned fun with more power. Heads/cam is epic...but more importantly I think are the gears. 4.10's transform the thing.
4.10s were in the cards but I think the stock tune doesn't like the dorman ls6 manifold that's on it. Sometimes the car feels like it has 350+ hp and sometimes it feels like 300hp. I just need to fix the sticky clutch and get it tuned I think that will help.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:45 am
4.10s were in the cards but I think the stock tune doesn't like the dorman ls6 manifold that's on it. Sometimes the car feels like it has 350+ hp and sometimes it feels like 300hp. I just need to fix the sticky clutch and get it tuned I think that will help.
If it wasn't retuned for the intake, then yea.

What sucks is if you want to do more down the road like headers, you'll need to pay for the tune again. Really gotta plan ahead to maximize tuning.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:57 am

What sucks is if you want to do more down the road like headers, you'll need to pay for the tune again. Really gotta plan ahead to maximize tuning.
Yeah, that's why I waited to finish all of my shit before paying for the tune. Was worth it tho. Just sucked having to wait to accumulate all my parts. I'm a corvette owner, so of course I've got patience since I never drive the car anyways. Lol.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah I'm skipping performance stuff like gears and t00bz. That's money I'll put towards a LS3 car. It'll suck not having a green Corvette anymore but they're heading towards $20k fast.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am If you don't get into the engine and tuning, I think your fine. Bolt ons like an axle back or :ramz: are probably OK if you keep the stock parts.

I originally wanted a few mods already done to the car when I was looking for mine. I wanted someone else to take that Corvette tax hit on those bigger parts so I wouldn't have to. After seeing people paying upwards of $2,000 for headers and shit, and then a tune on top of that.... I cringed.

And people don't get the maintenance thing. I found a couple of low mileage ones in my search and messaged the seller just to kind of plant the seed, and they BRAGGED about still having the tires that came off the showroom floor. I LOL'd pretty hard there.
Doug Demuro did his review of the C5 and I had a LONGGGGG ass post on Reddit about people asking questions. Someone mentioned all the problems with an old car and I gave him a list of the most common problems and how easily solveable they are, and had inexpensive most are to fix. Shit like the LMC5, $45. Yellow valve springs? <$200 and get a friend to help you swap em out... Do the maintenance and it's really not that bad of a bargain
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:06 am

Yeah I'm skipping performance stuff like gears and t00bz. That's money I'll put towards a LS3 car. It'll suck not having a green Corvette anymore but they're heading towards $20k fast.
SMART plan. Only mod it if you want it forever.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:06 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am If you don't get into the engine and tuning, I think your fine. Bolt ons like an axle back or :ramz: are probably OK if you keep the stock parts.

I originally wanted a few mods already done to the car when I was looking for mine. I wanted someone else to take that Corvette tax hit on those bigger parts so I wouldn't have to. After seeing people paying upwards of $2,000 for headers and shit, and then a tune on top of that.... I cringed.

And people don't get the maintenance thing. I found a couple of low mileage ones in my search and messaged the seller just to kind of plant the seed, and they BRAGGED about still having the tires that came off the showroom floor. I LOL'd pretty hard there.
Doug Demuro did his review of the C5 and I had a LONGGGGG ass post on Reddit about people asking questions. Someone mentioned all the problems with an old car and I gave him a list of the most common problems and how easily solveable they are, and had inexpensive most are to fix. Shit like the LMC5, $45. Yellow valve springs? <$200 and get a friend to help you swap em out... Do the maintenance and it's really not that bad of a bargain
Common problems are easily solvable, but I'd still prefer to buy a car that they were all addressed (like mine). Buying a pre-modded car is a fantastic bargain IMO. I wish I had bought a heads/cam car myself. Would have been cheaper to start with by a wide margin.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:06 am

Common problems are easily solvable, but I'd still prefer to buy a car that they were all addressed (like mine). Buying a pre-modded car is a fantastic bargain IMO. I wish I had bought a heads/cam car myself. Would have been cheaper to start with by a wide margin.
Your car is the only thing that might keep me from a C6 tbh.