Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 pm I think I am going to do a somewhat involved partial restoration of my Corvette once we get a house/garage, likely this winter. It could use a lot of little things replaced and updated at this point, but miraculously leaks zero oil/fluids.
I did this with mine. Only do it if you're committed to the long run, any money spent is flushed down the toilet.

But man, it's nice driving a car that needs nothing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 pm I think I am going to do a somewhat involved partial restoration of my Corvette once we get a house/garage, likely this winter. It could use a lot of little things replaced and updated at this point, but miraculously leaks zero oil/fluids.
Like a cage and race seats? :popcorn: :excited:
Race seats or at least better seats will probably happen in the next couple of months. Probably no cage in its future though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:02 pm
I did this with mine. Only do it if you're committed to the long run, any money spent is flushed down the toilet.

My goal is to have it until I'm 40 I think... 10 more years. Every time I look to off it, I just realize it's pointless and it's the best thing for the money. I am always S2000 curious but I feel like I would just go back to a Corvette after a year. I could see going to a Boxster/Cayman but not sure they're really worth the price premium and I love V8 noises.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:02 pm

My goal is to have it until I'm 40 I think... 10 more years. Every time I look to off it, I just realize it's pointless and it's the best thing for the money. I am always S2000 curious but I feel like I would just go back to a Corvette after a year. I could see going to a Boxster/Cayman but not sure they're really worth the price premium and I love V8 noises.
Yea...these things are super hard to beat. Especially if you take the time to fix up the little things, makes it really great to live with. They're surprisingly easy to work on as well.

Listed mine on CL yesterday as a feeler, it was surprisingly hard to do. I'm not sure I've enjoyed a vehicle as much as this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Yea...these things are super hard to beat. Especially if you take the time to fix up the little things, makes it really great to live with. They're surprisingly easy to work on as well.

Listed mine on CL yesterday as a feeler, it was surprisingly hard to do. I'm not sure I've enjoyed a vehicle as much as this.
:bruh: do you hate life right now or something? :sad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Nah...just a bunch of shit going on.

Garage estimates coming in over what I told the wife I thought they'd be (oops) and now she wants blood to move the project forward. We agreed I'd sell the Corvette if I didn't have to give it away.

So I cleaned it up, took photos, wrote a description, and then listed it for way too much. I don't expect to even get a response on the listing, but at least I'm showing effort.

Now is probably the last decent time to sell a C5 in MI. June/July is when values are highest AND there isn't a flood of C7's yet from the C8 launch. Once the C8 launches and C7's flood the market, all earlier generations will suffer in valuation. I either sell it now or keep it forever. I'm OK with either outcome since I will not give the car away.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Garage estimates coming in over what I told the wife I thought they'd be (oops) and now she wants blood to move the project forward. We agreed I'd sell the Corvette if I didn't have to give it away.

So I cleaned it up, took photos, wrote a description, and then listed it for way too much. I don't expect to even get a response on the listing, but at least I'm showing effort.

Now is probably the last decent time to sell a C5 in MI. June/July is when values are highest AND there isn't a flood of C7's yet from the C8 launch. Once the C8 launches and C7's flood the market, all earlier generations will suffer in valuation. I either sell it now or keep it forever. I'm OK with either outcome since I will not give the car away.
:word:
Too bad about the estimates coming in high, but you have to keep the wife happy too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:sad:

In4link though.See, I just don't think I'd be able to get more than $10K for mine, and at that point, nah. I'll just keep it.

I thought Infamous liked the C5?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Too bad about the estimates coming in high, but you have to keep the wife happy too.
The prices of things have skyrocketed in the last year or so...and apparently it's mostly materials according to the contractors we've talked to.

:thankstrump:

We've had 3 quotes...all within a few $k of one another, so I know it's not :bs:

We can afford it, wife is just mad that I underestimated and she seems to have it out for the :poorvette: for some reason.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:31 pm

:sad:

In4link though.See, I just don't think I'd be able to get more than $10K for mine, and at that point, nah. I'll just keep it.

I thought Infamous liked the C5?
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/ ... 81454.html

It's priced way too high, the description is way too long/wordy (though thorough), all in an attempt to make people pass over it (the right buyer would appreciate :doe: ). I know I'd probably have to settle for $15k to sell it, and just like you, it's worth more to me than that...I'd rather keep it.

Wife agreed that I shouldn't give it away. If I got an offer in the $17-18k range though, it would probably be gone.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:29 pm

The prices of things have skyrocketed in the last year or so...and apparently it's mostly materials according to the contractors we've talked to.

We've had 3 quotes...all within a few $k of one another, so I know it's not :bs:

We can afford it, wife is just mad that I underestimated and she seems to have it out for the :poorvette: for some reason.
Ahhhh, dang. If it's metal, you should see if GrandFappy WAP can hook you up? :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Ahhhh, dang. If it's metal, you should see if GrandFappy WAP can hook you up? :megusta:
Nah, doubt it. This is from sub contractors.

One dude told me that he could have built the garage for almost $10k less last year. Glad there's no inflation and China's paying all the tariffs. :fakenews:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:46 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Nah, doubt it. This is from sub contractors.

One dude told me that he could have built the garage for almost $10k less last year. Glad there's no inflation and China's paying all the tariffs. :fakenews:
:disappoint:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Big D your car is quite literally perfection. Too bad my dad wants a convertible C6 because I think he'd have a blast with your car.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm Big D your car is quite literally perfection. Too bad my dad wants a convertible C6 because I think he'd have a blast with your car.
:dat: I wish I was in a position to come up with the $$$ you need to feel good about ditching it. On the other hand, I don't think I'd want to be the one to take it away from you....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:33 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm Big D your car is quite literally perfection. Too bad my dad wants a convertible C6 because I think he'd have a blast with your car.
:dat: I wish I was in a position to come up with the $$$ you need to feel good about ditching it. On the other hand, I don't think I'd want to be the one to take it away from you....
I'd actually love for the car to stay with DFD, but realistically, it's not going anywhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

The thing is a riot. It literally needs nothing...it's as turnkey as a C5 can get IMO.

But convertible C6 values are really appealing lately...I think it's C6's that pose the biggest threat to C5 values.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 am

The best C5 forum on the planet needs to have a wide variety of colors.
What's amazing is we all have rare colors.

Mine - Spiral Gray offered 03-04
Melon - Electron Blue offered 02-03
Griff - 50th Anniversary Red offered 03
Purp - One off (duh)
CaleDeRoo - Fairway Green offered 97-98 (super low production)

Who the hell am I forgetting?
Blade Silver Checking In. Not rare.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 am
What's amazing is we all have rare colors.

Mine - Spiral Gray offered 03-04
Melon - Electron Blue offered 02-03
Griff - 50th Anniversary Red offered 03
Purp - One off (duh)
CaleDeRoo - Fairway Green offered 97-98 (super low production)

Who the hell am I forgetting?
Blade Silver Checking In. Not rare.
Also C6...but Grand Sport :megusta:
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm
The thing is a riot. It literally needs nothing...it's as turnkey as a C5 can get IMO.

But convertible C6 values are really appealing lately...I think it's C6's that pose the biggest threat to C5 values.
Honestly, I've seen SOOOOOO many C5s for sale at rock bottom prices on facebook groups. There's a shit ton of base models going for 8-10K, and I've seen a handful of Z06s going for as low as 14K. It's a shitty time to be a seller right now as there's so many options.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Honestly, I've seen SOOOOOO many C5s for sale at rock bottom prices on facebook groups. There's a shit ton of base models going for 8-10K, and I've seen a handful of Z06s going for as low as 14K. It's a shitty time to be a seller right now as there's so many options.
Yea, no way in hell I'll sell this thing for more than fire sale prices. Not worth selling to me. But you never know what :derp: will come along.

Such a performance bargain, I'm :mindblown: that they're getting so cheap.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D_Plac putting out feelers, right into the feels.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The Corvette dealer near me still sells $20k+ C5s to boomers. I think they have a red one for sale for $24k
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 pm The Corvette dealer near me still sells $20k+ C5s to boomers. I think they have a red one for sale for $24k
Yea...but those guys are only buying sub 50k mile 100% bone stock cream puffs. There's plenty of them out there, which puts a car like mine at a disadvantage. Too "used" for :waxer: boomers, yet too nice for kidz looking for "teh cheapest C5 in the COUNTRY BRO". The middle ground where I'm at is minuscule, and the cars usually end up selling for way too little.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I should have turned mine around right to that dealer. I paid $11k with 48k miles.