Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:27 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:23 am

218K miles, 3.23 rear end that I'd rather not tow with, tranny is due for a rebuild probably within the next 25K miles, I'd have to acquire a trailer as well.
Right there I'm looking at $5-7K. I'd rather get a Hazard Fraught trailer fabbed up at a fraction of the cost.
:disappoint:
Maybe I should Canyonado it up.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:40 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:27 am

:disappoint:
:koolaid:

The :dill: s are out there.
Acid666

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:40 am

Lol @ Kool-aid. I'm not in the market for another note but considered looking into it. Currently trying to sell a motorcycle worth about $7-8K. I thought about selling that and my Silverado for about $3-4K and looking into a newer truck that's more capable of towing, but I'm gonna run this truck to the ground because I bought it for next to nothing and works fine for me right now.
Maybe in a couple of years after I pay off some debt I'll look into a nicer new one.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:51 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am

Lol @ Kool-aid. I'm not in the market for another note but considered looking into it. Currently trying to sell a motorcycle worth about $7-8K. I thought about selling that and my Silverado for about $3-4K and looking into a newer truck that's more capable of towing, but I'm gonna run this truck to the ground because I bought it for next to nothing and works fine for me right now.
Maybe in a couple of years after I pay off some debt I'll look into a nicer new one.
Good plan. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Changed the diff fluid today, Image still present. :thisisfine:
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:55 pm Changed the diff fluid today, Image still present. :thisisfine:
:butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:08 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:55 pm Changed the diff fluid today, Image still present. :thisisfine:
:butwhy:
I drove it in TN :iono:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Damn looks like it is quite a common issue then if 3 members here alone had it. :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:34 am
Damn looks like it is quite a common issue then if 3 members here alone had it. :impressive:
I wonder if it's a factor of mileage? I hammered on my car with the diff stock and never had it make noise.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:56 am

I wonder if it's a factor of mileage? I hammered on my car with the diff stock and never had it make noise.
:notsure: back in my c5 days I never once heard (pun intended) about this other than the chatter issue that was due to wrong additives or whatever, and the leaky ass. But yea... quite :disappoint: seems like an age thing. These cars are getting quite old ...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 am
:notsure: back in my c5 days I never once heard (pun intended) about this other than the chatter issue that was due to wrong additives or whatever, and the leaky ass. But yea... quite :disappoint: seems like an age thing. These cars are getting quite old ...
I'd say mileage more than age...my car is old and never had a noise issue. The new gears make slight noise between 75 and 85 at part throttle, but the drivetrain shop said it's "normal" so :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Could be, I'm at like 99k I think... I changed the fluid back in 2015 about a year after getting the car but it may have never been done prior to that :iono: . It was clearly owned by a :waxer: type previously.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:34 am
Could be, I'm at like 99k I think... I changed the fluid back in 2015 about a year after getting the car but it may have never been done prior to that :iono: . It was clearly owned by a :waxer: type previously.
Might just be an issue with mechanical wear on high mileage diffs. Especially since it appeared for both you and Melon after beating on the car.

Melon's coming back is a bit concerning, :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

My car has been in the 59k miles range since I put it on the road in April.

Haven't driven it in over a week. Dat garage queen, :doe:

I bought it with 49k miles in October of 2014. Would be :| to have added exactly 10k to it in 4 years.
Acid666

I got mine 2 years ago I think with 70K miles. It's at 80K now. Mainly all driving to New Orleans and Baton Rouge and back for autocross. 240 and 140 miles round trip for each event. That's where most of my miles have come from. That and the drive back from Austin which I think is 400 miles.
No diff whine in mine so far. I've yet to change the oil because ole boy before me took it to shops and had the records to show it was fairly recent.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 pm I got mine 2 years ago I think with 70K miles. It's at 80K now. Mainly all driving to New Orleans and Baton Rouge and back for autocross. 240 and 140 miles round trip for each event. That's where most of my miles have come from. That and the drive back from Austin which I think is 400 miles.
No diff whine in mine so far. I've yet to change the oil because ole boy before me took it to shops and had the records to show it was fairly recent.
FWIW the diff fluid that came out of mine from December of 2015 20k miles ago when I last changed it still looked new and didn't even stink that much. I've also done several TOTD trips, a few autox and one track day with that fluid.

:aintcare: , it'll just whine and that's that. I still want 4.10s :doe: because :melon: car is really fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

4.10's transform the car.

Add some more power to the top and it's full :plaid: :fuckyeah:
Acid666

I seriously contemplated 4.10s but it would kill me in Autocross. I'm already at the perfect redline in 2nd for all of our track layouts, so I'd hate to cut it short.
I suspect that before my header install :melon:'s car was just as fast as mine, but I probably edged his out just a hair with the headers.
When we did a couple of pulls I barely walked him so the gears gave him a nice fun bump
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote:I seriously contemplated 4.10s but it would kill me in Autocross. I'm already at the perfect redline in 2nd for all of our track layouts, so I'd hate to cut it short.
I suspect that before my header install :melon:'s car was just as fast as mine, but I probably edged his out just a hair with the headers.
When we did a couple of pulls I barely walked him so the gears gave him a nice fun bump
I believe that, it feels significantly quicker than mine. I hear what you mean about autox though. It was interesting on TOTD, it's a second gear road pretty much the entire time in my car bouncing off the rev limiter in some spots if you're going :balls: deep the whole time. His involved pretty constant shifting. Very fun :doe: , just :waxer: .
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 pm
Acid666 wrote:I seriously contemplated 4.10s but it would kill me in Autocross. I'm already at the perfect redline in 2nd for all of our track layouts, so I'd hate to cut it short.
I believe that, it feels significantly quicker than mine. I hear what you mean about autox though. It was interesting on TOTD, it's a second gear road pretty much the entire time in my car bouncing off the rev limiter in some spots if you're going :balls: deep the whole time. His involved pretty constant shifting. Very fun :doe: , just :waxer: .
Yeah it just really depends what you're looking for. When I got the car I thought I'd just be doing highway pulls and zipping around town... And 4.10s would of been perfect. I also got the Z06 because I wanted those shorted 1st and 2nd gears. But now that I pretty much only plan on autocrossing it and the higher speed shit doesn't really appeal to me 4.10s are off the table. I'd MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAby consider 3.90s down the road if I really wanted more gear... A compromise between adding a little gear and not cutting too much off my 2nd gear top end. But it's money I don't need to spend because the car's setup perfect right now.

25 year old me would be all about that acceleration though. 38 year old me is all about suspension and tires. If I were in a base vette, I'd hands down do 4.10s in a heartbeat.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Bump your rev limiter up to about 7200, that puts the Z where it needs to be for autox.

2nd in the Z06 is also a lot shorter than the base cars, so for autox a base car with 4.10 is more like a Z with 3.73 depending on the limiter/heads.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 pm
Bump your rev limiter up to about 7200, that puts the Z where it needs to be for autox.

2nd in the Z06 is also a lot shorter than the base cars, so for autox a base car with 4.10 is more like a Z with 3.73 depending on the limiter/heads.
I'm considering it. Can they remove this with a tune? Because I'm going to get the catless headers tuned in the next few months.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 pm Bump your rev limiter up to about 7200, that puts the Z where it needs to be for autox.

I'm considering it. Can they remove this with a tune? Because I'm going to get the catless headers tuned in the next few months.
Yes. Definitely get the limiter bumped up at that time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:

What are the weak points/what rev limiter is generally safe? I'd love a bit more up top. I'm a little torn right now between :scrooge: and going a bit :plaid: with it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 pm
troyguitar wrote:Bump your rev limiter up to about 7200, that puts the Z where it needs to be for autox.

What are the weak points/what rev limiter is generally safe? I'd love a bit more up top. I'm a little torn right now between :scrooge: and going a bit :plaid: with it.
With an LS1, you'll gain nothing by doing it. You're well past your peak power, and with the taller 2nd, it's not hindering you in autox. The Z06 guys do it so they don't bump the Rev limiter in autox with their shorter 2nd gear.

Now, if you cam or do gears, it makes sense. Stock is 6700 IIRC.

My car makes peak power at 6700 and the Rev limiter is set at 6900. My cam has quite a bit more lift than a stock LS6 cam so revving to 7200 is risky, though I could probably do 7k and be fine. I haven't seen a need yet, but if I did autox then maybe.