Mini-To keep or to replace with a Toaster?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm Hey Max what about the Mazda MX-30? About 100mi of ev range but also a gas engine. Price ranging from probably 30-45k or something?
Hmm... Not super into plug in hybrids (i3 excluded as it is cheap used), and I was hoping to get something with a little bit of character/performance?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm Hey Max what about the Mazda MX-30? About 100mi of ev range but also a gas engine. Price ranging from probably 30-45k or something?
Hmm... Not super into plug in hybrids (i3 excluded as it is cheap used), and I was hoping to get something with a little bit of character/performance?
Problem is, plug in hybrids are your perfect solution for what you want. They can get enough range so your entire commute is free, then when you want to go on a trip, just put gas in it instead of being cucked into a Tesla for the charging network. There's just nothing appealing about a Tesla other than straight line acceleration and the most robust charging network in the world. The rest of the thing is a generic jellybean with a giant screen.

There just aren't many compelling plug in hybrids on the market. Even those that kind of are (like the Wrangler 4xe), the electric range is just 25 miles (and FCA overstates everything, so probably less IRL), which seems like a complete waste.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

When you go to charge your EV overnight, do you need to wake up and unplug or will the car stop charging to protect the battery?
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:47 pm

Problem is, plug in hybrids are your perfect solution for what you want. They can get enough range so your entire commute is free, then when you want to go on a trip, just put gas in it instead of being cucked into a Tesla for the charging network. There's just nothing appealing about a Tesla other than straight line acceleration and the most robust charging network in the world. The rest of the thing is a generic jellybean with a giant screen.

There just aren't many compelling plug in hybrids on the market. Even those that kind of are (like the Wrangler 4xe), the electric range is just 25 miles (and FCA overstates everything, so probably less IRL), which seems like a complete waste.
I think things got a little muddied in this thread as we're also trying to get to the bottom of EV limitations. Of which there are many..
Range/Charge degradation/Battery replacement costs

I am not looking for a one vehicle fits all solution at which point the Tesla model X is probably the best solution IMO. It goes 0-60 in under 4 seconds, will likely go around 300 miles (360 fake epa) and will charge quickly.

I don't really see the point in any sort of hybrid/etc because they are mostly boring, a tesla X isn't. It has cool doors and it is fast.

All of the above is for a single vehicle solution... that said. I was looking for some sort of commuter.. Ioniq 5 is also interesting. I am curious to see where real world performance will go. All things considered it does seem like the mini has to go.. which makes me a bit :( but I just don't have a use for it at the moment.
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:52 pm When you go to charge your EV overnight, do you need to wake up and unplug or will the car stop charging to protect the battery?
Everything is on a timer. And yes it would shut off. I would likely charge during the day however (on WFH days), to use solar.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Gotcha. The i3 thing in the OP has been kind of confusing this entire time
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:52 pm When you go to charge your EV overnight, do you need to wake up and unplug or will the car stop charging to protect the battery?
Everything is on a timer. And yes it would shut off. I would likely charge during the day however (on WFH days), to use solar.
:like: thanks, that makes sense.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:59 pm

The i3 is a direct mini replacement. As it would fit the new commute and costs as much as the mini (roughly). It is also somewhat interesting because it has some self driving capability + some pretty cool tech + a lot of extra space. (it is usable for 4 people).
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:08 pm
What are you using this thing for? Are you actually looking to take this thing on trips to where the charging network matters? I thought you were looking for an EV you can charge for free and then commute for free in? The charging network is irrelevant in that regard, ANY EV you're considering will do the round trip on one charge at home.
One of the scenarios would replace the tacoma as well. At which point charging times/chargers are crucial.
So this was :bs: then? I thought we were talking about a do-all if you're replacing the Taco.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:01 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:59 pm

The i3 is a direct mini replacement. As it would fit the new commute and costs as much as the mini (roughly). It is also somewhat interesting because it has some self driving capability + some pretty cool tech + a lot of extra space. (it is usable for 4 people).
The i3 is super :neat: I've driven a few over the years, they're pretty cool overall.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:01 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:25 pm

One of the scenarios would replace the tacoma as well. At which point charging times/chargers are crucial.
So this was :bs: then? I thought we were talking about a do-all if you're replacing the Taco.
Perhaps I wasn't super clear.
Option a) replace Mini only
Option b) replace mini + taco

Option a) I would certainly like to keep under 50k, ideally as close to what the mini is worth.
Option b) As the mini + taco are probably worth around 70k, it would allow to get closer to model X which is 95k...
In both cases cash outlay is at most 25k... I don't want to pour more money into DD'able vehicles.
ChrisoftheNorth

I see zero desirability in a Model X, you lost me on that one.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm I see zero desirability in a Model X, you lost me on that one.
Fairly low on the list for me also... mainly due to price. It is nearly the same price as a Lotus.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

There's plenty of EV options under 50k that have more than enough range for your use case outlined in your first post IMO, and that way you keep the Taco which isn't losing any money in your garage, and is a great road trip vehicle. I think you would miss it if you consolidated more than you would miss the $15k your $50k EV depreciated.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:11 pm There's plenty of EV options under 50k that have more than enough range for your use case outlined in your first post IMO, and that way you keep the Taco which isn't losing any money in your garage, and is a great road trip vehicle. I think you would miss it if you consolidated more than you would miss the $15k your $50k EV depreciated.
Yea I think I am just trying to get a somewhat fun vehicle that can run on electricity to and from work.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
What I like about this is the super cool interior... pretty quick with the insta torque and the emergency Gas backup..

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

How large is the fuel tank? IIRC they're very small, like 3 gal or so?

Man those i3 REX were leasing for under $100 about 18mo ago
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:20 pm How large is the fuel tank? IIRC they're very small, like 3 gal or so?

Man those i3 REX were leasing for under $100 about 18mo ago
2.4 gallons with 1.9 "usable" this is more for emergencies than anything else.
I tried to get those "Advertised" deals and they tend to be :fakenews: but you brought up an interesting point... Lease take overs... :hubba: I may look around for one later on.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That i3 will be worth exactly what the mini is in 3 years though ($13-15k), so are you looking to save on running costs, and to try something new?
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

If you're in California, why not try to snag an EV lease for cheap? You can sell the Mini, get a cheap EV for that precious HOV access, and pay next to nothing? I think people are getting Bolts for $170/month
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:34 pm If you're in California, why not try to snag an EV lease for cheap? You can sell the Mini, get a cheap EV for that precious HOV access, and pay next to nothing? I think people are getting Bolts for $170/month
Some areas new bolts are about $23k after incentives to purchase. However I don't know if EV gets you HOV access automatically anymore as CA caps the amount they give out.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:34 pm If you're in California, why not try to snag an EV lease for cheap? You can sell the Mini, get a cheap EV for that precious HOV access, and pay next to nothing? I think people are getting Bolts for $170/month
They maybe the way to go. But I’m really picky in the I3 that I want. So it may be a bit more difficult. I need to look around on some forums
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:29 pm That i3 will be worth exactly what the mini is in 3 years though ($13-15k), so are you looking to save on running costs, and to try something new?
Yea the long term value is probably going to pound town unless gas crosses over $7. We’re at $5 now so that doesn’t seem to be the threshold as it was prior
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:56 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:29 pm That i3 will be worth exactly what the mini is in 3 years though ($13-15k), so are you looking to save on running costs, and to try something new?
Yea the long term value is probably going to pound town unless gas crosses over $7. We’re at $5 now so that doesn’t seem to be the threshold as it was prior
You could sell the mini, take over an i3 REX lease for ~350/mo for the next year, and then decide if EV ownership is for you.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm

You could sell the mini, take over an i3 REX lease for ~350/mo for the next year, and then decide if EV ownership is for you.
:dat: though I see max was trying to compromise between a decently fun commuter vs. EV and reasonable price for his liking. Those skinny tires though
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm

:dat: seems like the smartest way to go.