Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:02 pm

That should be ok in that thing.
That's beyond the 7500 for the Escalade so there were go. So I think advertising 7 screens is a bit much? Yes, but I'm not sure what the Escalade offers over this besides pop culture fame.
At that price point brand matters. The phaeton taught us that
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:06 pm

I would honestly rather have the Tessie for six figs :lolgasm:
A model X long range is about 25k cheaper and faster . I have 0 ideas as to who the target customer for the Jeep is other than a Cadillac Escalade shopper…
Let’s be honest someone going for euro/jap cars will not look at a Jeep 2x.

Now an Escalade shopper at least has the brand behind them… Jeep :doe: :wtf: they make 20k rebadged italian bread boxes and things that have porta potty roofs.

I would have ever signed off on a business case for this thing. Not in a million years
The CEO wanted it, and so it was done. The dude's being eaten by worms now and the company has to deal with the aftermath. It's such a cluster, I can't even.

Embarrassing MPG, does nothing different than anything else, has a nice interior and a brand people haven't thought about in decades. It'll sell well for the first year because everything sells right now, but once people start bringing their $100k+ Jeep to the same :dillerman: for service where Renegayde owners are whining about paying $50 for an oil change, it's going to be :nope:

A vehicle like this doesn't sell because of the product. It sells because of the brand and the experience. Nobody at the company will recognize that. The beginning of the end.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:02 pm

That should be ok in that thing.
That's beyond the 7500 for the Escalade so there were go. So I think advertising 7 screens is a bit much? Yes, but I'm not sure what the Escalade offers over this besides pop culture fame.
The 8k towing capacity is a joke, only exists to beat the Escalade on paper. I sure as fuck wouldn't tow more than 7k with one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 pm Saw a GCL at target today it looked interesting.
They do look :nice:
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:32 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 pm Saw a GCL at target today it looked interesting.
:dat: Great looking vehicle but seemingly half baked imo. If they made them electric with a 350-450 mile range. They would have a knock out on their hands IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:11 am
:dat: Great looking vehicle but seemingly half baked imo. If they made them electric with a 350-450 mile range. They would have a knock out on their hands IMO.
Yep, but that's not even on the radar. Incredible.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 am

The 8k towing capacity is a joke, only exists to beat the Escalade on paper. I sure as fuck wouldn't tow more than 7k with one.
You have more knowledge of the product than me but an extra 35% rated towing capacity seems like more than "just to beat it on paper". Do we know what the max payload of this thing is?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:27 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 am
You have more knowledge of the product than me but an extra 35% rated towing capacity seems like more than "just to beat it on paper". Do we know what the max payload of this thing is?
Remember that towing capacity isn't necessarily an industry standard calc. Some companies are willing to accept more tolerance than others.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:wat:

Which competitor is the 350-400mi range EV?

I'm so confused about some of the comments and complaints about alot of vehicles here lately. Yeah this would be awesome as a 350mi range EV, but so would a Highlander, or Pilot, or Telluride, and I don't see any trash taking about those bring half baked? I know this is the newest in the segment but the technology for what you're talking about isn't even there yet so why bring it up? This was designed to compete with all the other mommy mobiles that start in the $35k dollar range, not the Model X or R1S. Maybe it's 2-4k more expensive than competitors but style and capability costs money.

I know you're all about that ev life especially after the Tessie experience, and I'm actually with you there I'd love the new Kia to :derp: around in, but it doesn't look like the target audience for this segment is there yet or we'd be seeing the automakers rushing to release EV exploders, and traverses instead of Mach-E and Ionic 5 style vehicles. I think there's a reason the Model X is the only ev 7 seat SUV on the market right now, and they are rare to see everywhere but CA.

Apologies if the structure of this post are a bit out of order, I'm typing this between welds at work.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 am

I'm so confused about some of the comments and complaints about alot of vehicles here lately. Yeah this would be awesome as a 350mi range EV, but so would a Highlander, or Pilot, or Telluride, and I don't see any trash taking about those bring half baked? I know this is the newest in the segment but the technology for what you're talking about isn't even there yet so why bring it up? This was designed to compete with all the other mommy mobiles that start in the $35k dollar range, not the Model X or R1S. Maybe it's 2-4k more expensive than competitors but style and capability costs money.

I know you're all about that ev life especially after the Tessie experience, and I'm actually with you there I'd love the new Kia to :derp: around in, but it doesn't look like the target audience for this segment is there yet or we'd be seeing the automakers rushing to release EV exploders, and traverses instead of Mach-E and Ionic 5 style vehicles. I think there's a reason the Model X is the only ev 7 seat SUV on the market right now, and they are rare to see everywhere but CA.

Apologies if the structure of this post are a bit out of order, I'm typing this between welds at work.
How in the world does this post make any sense.
It’s not designed to compete with a Telluride or a pilot It’s 2x the price of that. And they are no where near the same size.

This vehicle at that price point needs to bring something to the table, whether it is tech, performance or luxury. It does maybe luxury but it is not superior to any of the competitors at that price point. Especially when it comes to ownership experience with the peasants.

We shall see how it ends. I called the stinger out as a failure when it came out also… and it was. Sometimes these things are clear as day when they happen.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:10 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 am

How in the world does this post make any sense.
It’s not designed to compete with a Telluride or a pilot It’s 2x the price of that. And they are no where near the same size.

This vehicle at that price point needs to bring something to the table, whether it is tech, performance or luxury. It does maybe luxury but it is not superior to any of the competitors at that price point. Especially when it comes to ownership experience with the peasants.

We shall see how it ends. I called the stinger out as a failure when it came out also… and it was. Sometimes these things are clear as day when they happen.
You replied to a post about the GC-L
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So there were go problem solved :lolol:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:12 am So there were go problem solved :lolol:
I thought we’re talking wagonqueer?!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Just a simple mistake + misunderstanding.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:14 am Image

Just a simple mistake + misunderstanding.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

How was the Stinger a failure? They are all over the place here and loved by every auto journalist?

I agree that that Cuckoneer is a ripoff but I really DAF, I am not a father of four and wouldn't be caught dead in such a vehicle regardless of price, so :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm How was the Stinger a failure? They are all over the place here and loved by every auto journalist?

I agree that that Cuckoneer is a ripoff but I really DAF, I am not a father of four and wouldn't be caught dead in such a vehicle regardless of price, so :aintcare:
Well, the stinger didn't sell well enough to get a second gen, so clearly it wasn't a success. I can't remember the last time I saw one IRL.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm How was the Stinger a failure? They are all over the place here and loved by every auto journalist?

Well, the stinger didn't sell well enough to get a second gen, so clearly it wasn't a success. I can't remember the last time I saw one IRL.
I guess it's a regional thing, they are quite common here. I love the fast back hatch form factor also.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:56 pm
I guess it's a regional thing, they are quite common here. I love the fast back hatch form factor also.
I think they're cool AF and sad to see they weren't successful enough to keep going. That said, nobody on here had one, soooooooo aside from :neat: it's not enough to vote with our wallets.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This was the first thing I noticed when I moved here. Saw more my first day here than since it came out up in Rochester
max225

They sell about 16-18k units annually. Which is about 1/2 of what a GTI sales are.
3/4 series which are arguably already failing because of the rise of the SUV are about 50-70k in the same time frame. I am not sure the stinger was a successful vehicle. Lets not forget they had almost 20k on the hood 1 year after launch before Covid.

And as mentioned 2nd gen was cancelled.

1. It was a sedan and no one buys sedans anymore
2. It was too expensive for a KIA
3. There was nothing that made it "special" above the competition.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I've seen a Stinger maybe 3 times besides at a Kia dealer.

It drove nicely and was well equipped and reasonably priced IMO in the base trim. It was just too big for me, plus at the time (2019) I thought that we were going to spend stupid money on a :haus: in NY so I didn't buy one.

It reminded me a bit of my S4 in capabilities but was better to drive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:58 pm

I think they're cool AF and sad to see they weren't successful enough to keep going. That said, nobody on here had one, soooooooo aside from :neat: it's not enough to vote with our wallets.
Yeah, I mean, I like it, but not enough to own one. It's too big for me, no :manuel: , etc.

I like it for someone else :lolol:

If I was really going to vote with my wallet for the sake of trying to keep a certain car/segment alive, it would probably be the new 86/BRZ, ND2, etc. Something that I would truly be sad to see gone and certainly a :manuel: as that is the number one dying thing that I hope stays a while.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I should look at these cars (used and cheap obviously), they sound like they are right up my alley.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:51 pm I should look at these cars (used and cheap obviously), they sound like they are right up my alley.
Yeah honestly based on what you've talked about, it would be a good fit. Fast and somewhat fun still, but more room and probably better reliability than your :gorf: