Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 pm
I think we all sort of grew out of them... go figure it has been a decade now... I got my TDI in 2011 :yikes: :wap:

They are not really fast, they are not really fun, and they are not really practical. GTIs are ok at all of the above but excel at nothing. For some of us it make sense to go up the practicality/comfort scale while giving up whatever "fun" there was in one. Whether that is giving up MPG/Performance/Steering feel. It all makes cents.
I enjoy my 2019 Rabbit. So much so that I plan on looking at a Golf R when the 6/72 bumper-bumper runs out on this. Too bad that the Golf R wagon won't be coming stateside.
I'm going to investigate this as well.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm

I enjoy my 2019 Rabbit. So much so that I plan on looking at a Golf R when the 6/72 bumper-bumper runs out on this. Too bad that the Golf R wagon won't be coming stateside.
My timeframe is 2025/2026 depending on how things go. That should give enough time for bugs to be worked out and hopefully some incentives. The new AWD system intrigues me. The other contenders, for the moment, would be the WRX and STi, depending on how the redesigns look.

Essentially, my goal is to have one car where I'm not on the hook for repairs.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 pm

My timeframe is 2025/2026 depending on how things go. That should give enough time for bugs to be worked out and hopefully some incentives. The new AWD system intrigues me. The other contenders, for the moment, would be the WRX and STi, depending on how the redesigns look.

Essentially, my goal is to have one car THAT I HAVE NOT TURNED INTO A 600 HP STREET RACER OR FULL RESTO MOD BARETT JACKSON PRIZE PONY..
:impressive:
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 pm

Essentially, my goal is to have one car THAT I HAVE NOT TURNED INTO A 600 HP STREET RACER OR FULL RESTO MOD BARETT JACKSON PRIZE PONY..
:dat:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT

Parked next to this beauty at Home Depot today...

Minty 2006 S with like new tan interior....I have no idea on reliability but the want is real....

max225
Drives: JCW Clowncar+ Cuckoma TURD BRO

Irish wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:54 pm Parked next to this beauty at Home Depot today...

Minty 2006 S with like new tan interior....I have no idea on reliability but the want is real....

If you value your sanity you’d go for a 09+
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

The thing is that people actually get offended when I tell them I'm not doing a thing to the GTI. They also think the GTI is the fastest thing in my garage for some reason. :iono:

Had a guy at work come up to me as I was getting in the car to leave.
"Those rotors are huge! Did you put those brakes on yourself?"
"No."
"Oh, who did?"
"Volkswagen."
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fax:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Detroit
Drives: CT

New BRZ starts under $29k. If I ever did another fun car, this is extremely tempting.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1.3t shitbox | Carne Asada Egg
Location: 23 mi from White House & 3 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 am

The thing is that people actually get offended when I tell them I'm not doing a thing to the GTI. They also think the GTI is the fastest thing in my garage for some reason. :iono:

Had a guy at work come up to me as I was getting in the car to leave.
"Those rotors are huge! Did you put those brakes on yourself?"
"No."
"Oh, who did?"
"Volkswagen."
My dad drives an Explorer Sport, which mind you, actually has larger front rotors than the regular explorer and it's actually a lot faster. I brought it to a VW meet one time to keep a few miles off the GTI since he was out of town. Lot of people were :mindblown: about it.
2012 mk6 GTI 6MT (Totaled in '14) > 2015 mk7 GTI DSGay (Sold) > 2020 Renault Clio 1.3Turbo w/ EDC (Istanbul daily)
@tay_ohkay for car shiett
I'm a nephew of a :plac:
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: C5

So a month ago my friend's Colorado was in an accident, and there was no ETA on repairs so he bought a Ranger while it was in the shop because he needed a truck. Well fast forward to the end of last week and he gets his Colorado back, but the repairs were done so poorly and he has an album tray bed on it, that no dealer nor CarMax wanted it anymore, at least not for a price he liked, so for the hell of it he listed it on Turo. 4 days later and it's been booked for a second time already. :lolol:

The rental car shortage at CLE is coming in clutch for him right now.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 pm So a month ago my friend's Colorado was in an accident, and there was no ETA on repairs so he bought a Ranger while it was in the shop because he needed a truck. Well fast forward to the end of last week and he gets his Colorado back, but the repairs were done so poorly and he has an album tray bed on it, that no dealer nor CarMax wanted it anymore, at least not for a price he liked, so for the hell of it he listed it on Turo. 4 days later and it's been booked for a second time already. :lolol:

What’s an album tray?
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 pm So a month ago my friend's Colorado was in an accident, and there was no ETA on repairs so he bought a Ranger while it was in the shop because he needed a truck. Well fast forward to the end of last week and he gets his Colorado back, but the repairs were done so poorly and he has an album tray bed on it, that no dealer nor CarMax wanted it anymore, at least not for a price he liked, so for the hell of it he listed it on Turo. 4 days later and it's been booked for a second time already. :lolol:

What’s an album tray?
Aluminum tray* autocorrect got me there.

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:12 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 pm

What’s an album tray?

Did anyone fuck it up yet ?

My buddy ran turo as a business, every single car he had got crashed. And that’s how he made his money … not on rental fees
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:12 pm

Did anyone fuck it up yet ?

My buddy ran turo as a business, every single car he had got crashed. And that’s how he made his money … not on rental fees
Renter #1 returned it just fine, albeit with a serious gangster lean in the seat. I'm sure he wouldn't care at all if #2 totaled it.
Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 17 Golf R

Some of y'all are trading in your cars for more practical metal, which got me thinking about the dollars and sense behind a possible trade in on the R. Four years new, and 140k kms later, I've decided that the car is still dear to my heart, and for the most part is a reliable enough steed to pull another two to four years.... Well all but the 19" Prets that are about to get shelved for the remainder of my time with this thing.

I found some used 18" VW GTI Motorsport wheels that are a 8/10 condition (or have been reconditioned), wrapped in questionable brand AS tires in a :225: flava-flav. They aren't as pretty as the prets but I just took them for a rip and they are certainly a lot more comfortable. They remind me a little of my VMR810s in a 225/40/18 config, but offer more sidewall as they are only 7.5 wide. Absolutely ideal for this car's suspension setup.

The kids and I washed the cars, swirls be dammed, it's one of the joys of operating older cars.

Old vs New:

Last edited by Tarspin on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

After thoughts:
-I'm going to throw the black mirror caps back on for that blue/black theme
-18s feel so much better on the car, 19s are just silly
-after a few rips up and down some country roads, I'm glad that I made this move, the tires are half decent in dry weather, quiet and balanced. They can stay on the car for summer driving while they still have tread.
Last edited by Tarspin on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:42 pm After thoughts:
-I'm going to through the black mirror caps back on for that blue/black theme
-18s feel so much better on the car
-after a few rips up and down some country roads, I'm glad that I made this move. 19s are just silly

Car still looks good!

I'm :amaze: at how quickly the rotors get surface rust, even from just washing it. Happened to me this past Saturday. The grinding noise is just fading today. :lol:
Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm
-after a few rips up and down some country roads, I'm glad that I made this move. 19s are just silly

Car still looks good!

I'm :amaze: at how quickly the rotors get surface rust, even from just washing it. Happened to me this past Saturday. The grinding noise is just fading today. :lol:
Thanks, I like the look a lot, the phone butchers any pic i take with high contrast. :disappoint:

Yeah the rotors are instantly rusty post-wash. I got a lot of miles out of mine so :aintcare:
MrH42
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: '01 S2000, '20 Outback XT

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 pm New BRZ starts under $29k. If I ever did another fun car, this is extremely tempting.
For real. Probably the most exciting car to come out in awhile.

If S2000 prices continue to run away, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to sell it and buy a new BRZ. Scratches the :plac: itch, and rids myself of 20 year old car problems.
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Car still looks good!

Yeah, mine will flash with rust if it rains enough overnight. Though, the noise is finished by the time I get to the end of my street. :iono:
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 am

Car still looks good!

Yeah, mine will flash with rust if it rains enough overnight. Though, the noise is finished by the time I get to the end of my street. :iono:
Mine too, usually. :notsure: why this time took 2 days but it seems back to normal now. :iono:
max225

Completed another 1500 mile road trip over the last 4 days in the :taco: . 19.3mpg in case anyone cares. This is certainly living up to my expectations.

Also PSA do not go to LA. That place has turned into an epic cesspool. However auxiliary cities around LA on the beach are still nice.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 am Completed another 1500 mile road trip over the last 4 days in the :taco: . 19.3mpg in case anyone cares. This is certainly living up to my expectations.

Also PSA do not go to LA. That place has turned into an epic cesspool. However auxiliary cities around LA on the beach are still nice.
:like: