Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:11 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm Tesla's Supercharger network will be open to other manufacturers later this year. I suspected this was coming since they have no more EV credits to sell for money, and this is easy revenue.
Most Tesla chargers around me are all empty every time I drive by. This is a no brainer in areas like mine, just not sure what the rest of the country looks like for utilization.
So I've driven between Charlotte, and Rochester a dozen times this year, and have never seen a Tesla charging on my way, at any Sheetz or highway rest stop.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:11 pm
Most Tesla chargers around me are all empty every time I drive by. This is a no brainer in areas like mine, just not sure what the rest of the country looks like for utilization.
So I've driven between Charlotte, and Rochester a dozen times this year, and have never seen a Tesla charging on my way, at any Sheetz or highway rest stop.
I bet they're packed out west.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:17 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Most likely. But not our problem! :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Just flushes Max's value of charging network down the toilet when the chargers are full of poverty Leafs and Bolts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Just flushes Max's value of charging network down the toilet when the chargers are full of poverty Leafs and Bolts.
F150s blocking two at once

:popcorn:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 pm
F150s blocking two at once

:popcorn:
:disgust:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:44 pm
The vast majority of us had GTIs at some point. The virtues of how good they are at all-arounders are well documented and I think we all agree with. It's why I owned two...a MKV and MKVI.

But for my needs now, it's still too harsh. Wheels are too big, tires are too small, suspension is too firm. Roads in Meatchicken are horrendous, and my MKVI just wasn't enjoyable much at all here. I know roads are getting bad in many other regions too, and it just makes something this sporty still too sporty IMO.
I think we all sort of grew out of them... go figure it has been a decade now... I got my TDI in 2011 :yikes: :wap:

They are not really fast, they are not really fun, and they are not really practical. GTIs are ok at all of the above but excel at nothing. For some of us it make sense to go up the practicality/comfort scale while giving up whatever "fun" there was in one. Whether that is giving up MPG/Performance/Steering feel. It all makes cents.
I enjoy my 2019 Rabbit. So much so that I plan on looking at a Golf R when the 6/72 bumper-bumper runs out on this. Too bad that the Golf R wagon won't be coming stateside.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 pm
I think we all sort of grew out of them... go figure it has been a decade now... I got my TDI in 2011 :yikes: :wap:

They are not really fast, they are not really fun, and they are not really practical. GTIs are ok at all of the above but excel at nothing. For some of us it make sense to go up the practicality/comfort scale while giving up whatever "fun" there was in one. Whether that is giving up MPG/Performance/Steering feel. It all makes cents.
I enjoy my 2019 Rabbit. So much so that I plan on looking at a Golf R when the 6/72 bumper-bumper runs out on this. Too bad that the Golf R wagon won't be coming stateside.
I'm going to investigate this as well.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Huckleberry

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:02 pm

My timeframe is 2025/2026 depending on how things go. That should give enough time for bugs to be worked out and hopefully some incentives. The new AWD system intrigues me. The other contenders, for the moment, would be the WRX and STi, depending on how the redesigns look.

Essentially, my goal is to have one car where I'm not on the hook for repairs.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 pm

My timeframe is 2025/2026 depending on how things go. That should give enough time for bugs to be worked out and hopefully some incentives. The new AWD system intrigues me. The other contenders, for the moment, would be the WRX and STi, depending on how the redesigns look.

Essentially, my goal is to have one car THAT I HAVE NOT TURNED INTO A 600 HP STREET RACER OR FULL RESTO MOD BARETT JACKSON PRIZE PONY..
:impressive:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 pm

Essentially, my goal is to have one car THAT I HAVE NOT TURNED INTO A 600 HP STREET RACER OR FULL RESTO MOD BARETT JACKSON PRIZE PONY..
:dat:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Parked next to this beauty at Home Depot today...

Minty 2006 S with like new tan interior....I have no idea on reliability but the want is real....

max225

Irish wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:54 pm Parked next to this beauty at Home Depot today...

Minty 2006 S with like new tan interior....I have no idea on reliability but the want is real....

If you value your sanity you’d go for a 09+
Huckleberry

The thing is that people actually get offended when I tell them I'm not doing a thing to the GTI. They also think the GTI is the fastest thing in my garage for some reason. :iono:

Had a guy at work come up to me as I was getting in the car to leave.
"Those rotors are huge! Did you put those brakes on yourself?"
"No."
"Oh, who did?"
"Volkswagen."
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fax:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

New BRZ starts under $29k. If I ever did another fun car, this is extremely tempting.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 am

The thing is that people actually get offended when I tell them I'm not doing a thing to the GTI. They also think the GTI is the fastest thing in my garage for some reason. :iono:

Had a guy at work come up to me as I was getting in the car to leave.
"Those rotors are huge! Did you put those brakes on yourself?"
"No."
"Oh, who did?"
"Volkswagen."
My dad drives an Explorer Sport, which mind you, actually has larger front rotors than the regular explorer and it's actually a lot faster. I brought it to a VW meet one time to keep a few miles off the GTI since he was out of town. Lot of people were :mindblown: about it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So a month ago my friend's Colorado was in an accident, and there was no ETA on repairs so he bought a Ranger while it was in the shop because he needed a truck. Well fast forward to the end of last week and he gets his Colorado back, but the repairs were done so poorly and he has an album tray bed on it, that no dealer nor CarMax wanted it anymore, at least not for a price he liked, so for the hell of it he listed it on Turo. 4 days later and it's been booked for a second time already. :lolol:

The rental car shortage at CLE is coming in clutch for him right now.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 pm So a month ago my friend's Colorado was in an accident, and there was no ETA on repairs so he bought a Ranger while it was in the shop because he needed a truck. Well fast forward to the end of last week and he gets his Colorado back, but the repairs were done so poorly and he has an album tray bed on it, that no dealer nor CarMax wanted it anymore, at least not for a price he liked, so for the hell of it he listed it on Turo. 4 days later and it's been booked for a second time already. :lolol:

What’s an album tray?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 pm So a month ago my friend's Colorado was in an accident, and there was no ETA on repairs so he bought a Ranger while it was in the shop because he needed a truck. Well fast forward to the end of last week and he gets his Colorado back, but the repairs were done so poorly and he has an album tray bed on it, that no dealer nor CarMax wanted it anymore, at least not for a price he liked, so for the hell of it he listed it on Turo. 4 days later and it's been booked for a second time already. :lolol:

What’s an album tray?
Aluminum tray* autocorrect got me there.

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:12 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 pm

What’s an album tray?

Did anyone fuck it up yet ?

My buddy ran turo as a business, every single car he had got crashed. And that’s how he made his money … not on rental fees
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:12 pm

Did anyone fuck it up yet ?

My buddy ran turo as a business, every single car he had got crashed. And that’s how he made his money … not on rental fees
Renter #1 returned it just fine, albeit with a serious gangster lean in the seat. I'm sure he wouldn't care at all if #2 totaled it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Some of y'all are trading in your cars for more practical metal, which got me thinking about the dollars and sense behind a possible trade in on the R. Four years new, and 140k kms later, I've decided that the car is still dear to my heart, and for the most part is a reliable enough steed to pull another two to four years.... Well all but the 19" Prets that are about to get shelved for the remainder of my time with this thing.

I found some used 18" VW GTI Motorsport wheels that are a 8/10 condition (or have been reconditioned), wrapped in questionable brand AS tires in a :225: flava-flav. They aren't as pretty as the prets but I just took them for a rip and they are certainly a lot more comfortable. They remind me a little of my VMR810s in a 225/40/18 config, but offer more sidewall as they are only 7.5 wide. Absolutely ideal for this car's suspension setup.

The kids and I washed the cars, swirls be dammed, it's one of the joys of operating older cars.

Old vs New:

Last edited by Tar on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

After thoughts:
-I'm going to throw the black mirror caps back on for that blue/black theme
-18s feel so much better on the car, 19s are just silly
-after a few rips up and down some country roads, I'm glad that I made this move, the tires are half decent in dry weather, quiet and balanced. They can stay on the car for summer driving while they still have tread.
Last edited by Tar on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.