Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:22 am Newer bronco vids are landing finally … man that thing is just so epic …
Even in base 35k trim, you get keyless, power everything, digidash, led headlights, nice 8” screen inside for CarPlay. 2 lockers, 35”s etc.
The 2 door is actually usable for 2 people and 4 in a pinch + it has a trunk 2x the size of the non existent wrangler.

What an absolute win. Honestly I can’t find many faults in it and considering Ford hasn’t made anything like this in ages it is shocking and :amazing: all at once. They took a wrangler and improved on every area … which imo isn’t easy to do at all.

Can’t wait to see some in person. If jeep sells 250k wranglers Ford should be able to sell 350k of these things.
The question is...why would anyone buy a Wrangler other than the brand and immediate aftermarket support. It is indeed :impressive: what Ford has done here.
For the next year or two probably availability… I don’t see Ford making enough for at least 12 months… not only a bunch of king ranch/raptor dudes getting these for their “wife” but also some bored wrangler dudes crossing over because why not …
Wrangler obviously has a far stronger brand still and is tried and proven… and will likely support 37s and 40s but bronco won’t … then again a lot of people would be fine with the 33”s and 35s.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:37 am
The question is...why would anyone buy a Wrangler other than the brand and immediate aftermarket support. It is indeed :impressive: what Ford has done here.
For the next year or two probably availability… I don’t see Ford making enough for at least 12 months… not only a bunch of king ranch/raptor dudes getting these for their “wife” but also some bored wrangler dudes crossing over because why not …
Wrangler obviously has a far stronger brand still and is tried and proven… and will likely support 37s and 40s but bronco won’t … then again a lot of people would be fine with the 33”s and 35s.
The factory Sasquatch is far :fullretard: enough for me and I probably wouldn't get it in the first place.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:58 am

The factory Sasquatch is far :fullretard: enough for me and I probably wouldn't get it in the first place.
How about factory twin turbo motor … you can stuff that bad boy into a 2 door and tune it to 500hp in 3 min. Then blow the doors off any pre c8 vettes
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The fenders unbolt from the Bronco easily. I bet that bitch will take 40's easier than a JL will.

Indeed, the only thing keeping Ford from selling a ton of these is production capacity.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:58 am

How about factory twin turbo motor … you can stuff that bad boy into a 2 door and tune it to 500hp in 3 min. Then blow the doors off any pre c8 vettes
Won't lie to you the Bronco has about as much a chance of replacing the Corvette as anything out there. The wifepiece is quite fond of them. Just have to wait out the inevitable teething issues.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:42 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 pm
Won't lie to you the Bronco has about as much a chance of replacing the Corvette as anything out there. The wifepiece is quite fond of them. Just have to wait out the inevitable teething issues.
The main question for me is around the body/tops. Ford already had an issue around making the tops, which caused the production delay.

I wonder if the tops will
1. Leak
2. Squeak
3. Cause a lot of wind noise

The powertrains have been out for a decade or almost a decade... and it shares a bit of stuff with the ranger danger so it should be ok, just like the 3.6/8at was ok from day 1 in the Wrangler.
56k for a fully loaded one is downright reasonable IMO. Equally equipped jeep is 62k, and it doesn't have 400lb feet of torque.. or 10 speeds or a 10 speaker BO system.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:54 pm

The main question for me is around the body/tops. Ford already had an issue around making the tops, which caused the production delay.

1. Leak
2. Squeak

The powertrains have been out for a decade or almost a decade... and it shares a bit of stuff with the ranger danger so it should be ok, just like the 3.6/8at was ok from day 1 in the Wrangler.
56k for a fully loaded one is downright reasonable IMO. Equally equipped jeep is 62k, and it doesn't have 400lb feet of torque.. or 10 speeds or a 10 speaker BO system.
YES.
ChrisoftheNorth

1. Leak
2. Squeak

The tops will absolutely leak, squeak, and be noisy in the wind. There's no way around it given the shape and design. And since this is the first time Ford has designed, engineered, and produced a top like this, I suspect there will be quite a bit of teething issues with it. These have been on Jeeps for 50 years and they still have issues.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:10 pm

1. Leak
2. Squeak

The tops will absolutely leak, squeak, and be noisy in the wind. There's no way around it given the shape and design. And since this is the first time Ford has designed, engineered, and produced a top like this, I suspect there will be quite a bit of teething issues with it. These have been on Jeeps for 50 years and they still have issues.
Yep. So that's why I really want to get my hands on one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm We would probably buy a prius if buying a new car today. The plug-in version is about perfect for us.
So we had three different Turo cars on vacation, an FRS, Prius Prime, and M235i. Honestly, the Prius was by far the most :impressive: vehicle of the bunch, but also the most Seppuku inducing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

1. Leak
2. Squeak

The JLU premium soft top is fucking epic actually.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm
If car :dillerman: are any indication. A LOT. I don't understand why everyone all the sudden wants/needs cars more so than ever. Nothing has changed.
I can't say whether it is true or not, but it seems people are pointing fingers at the urban flight as the main driver behind vehicle demand.
I imagine it contributes... I personally know at least five couples who have left Manhattan/Brooklyn for Charlotte/Raleigh, from zero to one or two cars for all of them. I imagine it's quite a common theme. Most people who lived downtown here already owned cars, but some certainly didn't, and they have indeed moved not to the 'burbs but more like outside skyscraper zone into surrounding "urban-light" neighborhoods.

:iono: though, things are pretty dang fucked, I think there are really just loads of people who felt like $4K in stimulus money is a lifechanging event that necessitates a new $45K car, house purchase, $10K Hawaii trip, etc. Doesn't make much sense, but I've personally witnessed it quite a bit.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:42 pm
The JLU premium soft top is fucking epic actually.
It really is for a soft top.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm We would probably buy a prius if buying a new car today. The plug-in version is about perfect for us.
So we had three different Turo cars on vacation, an FRS, Prius Prime, and M235i. Honestly, the Prius was by far the most :impressive: vehicle of the bunch, but also the most Seppuku inducing.
Go on.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:45 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30 pm

I can't say whether it is true or not, but it seems people are pointing fingers at the urban flight as the main driver behind vehicle demand.
I imagine it contributes... I personally know at least five couples who have left Manhattan/Brooklyn for Charlotte/Raleigh, from zero to one or two cars for all of them. I imagine it's quite a common theme. Most people who lived downtown here already owned cars, but some certainly didn't, and they have indeed moved not to the 'burbs but more like outside skyscraper zone into surrounding "urban-light" neighborhoods.

:iono: though, things are pretty dang fucked, I think there are really just loads of people who felt like $4K in stimulus money is a lifechanging event that necessitates a new $45K car, house purchase, $10K Hawaii trip, etc. Doesn't make much sense, but I've personally witnessed it quite a bit.
Personal debt is lower and cash is higher than pre pandemic. Accord to the figures.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Go on.
It just does everything so amazingly well (other than drive, it's NOT a car guy car, I do not want one). We never got to plug the thing in and it got 67 MPG. After going down a mountain, I was able to drive 18 miles in electric only, kind of neat. It was quiet, smooth, huge inside, very comfortable, great visibility, the hatch is massive and super convenient. It's just a car that works, asks nothing of you, and is extremely cheap to operate. It is the number one car I would recommend to everyone but people like us around here.

The FR-S really is an amazing driving car but it is pretty dang bad in terms of ride/noise. My wife was actually really cool about it as I was having fun, but I could tell deep down she was like this is a total POS. The shifter and responsiveness of that car is so good though, 5/7 would own but not a great daily. It definitely rides way worse than my Corvette on the DRM Bilsteins and quite a bit worse than it did on factory C6 shocks. Overall, it is more fun than a Corvette in all ways but the engine, getting to just wind it out everywhere with no consequence is :neat: I think overall I'd rather have a 'vette :doe: , it is a much more useful car and faster at the price of a bit of feel.

M235i is basically the perfect place between the Prius and FR-S.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 pm

Go on.
It just does everything so amazingly well (other than drive, it's NOT a car guy car, I do not want one). We never got to plug the thing in and it got 67 MPG. After going down a mountain, I was able to drive 18 miles in electric only, kind of neat. It was quiet, smooth, huge inside, very comfortable, great visibility, the hatch is massive and super convenient. It's just a car that works, asks nothing of you, and is extremely cheap to operate. It is the number one car I would recommend to everyone but people like us around here.

The FR-S really is an amazing driving car but it is pretty dang bad in terms of ride/noise. My wife was actually really cool about it as I was having fun, but I could tell deep down she was like this is a total POS. The shifter and responsiveness of that car is so good though, 5/7 would own but not a great daily. It definitely rides way worse than my Corvette on the DRM Bilsteins and quite a bit worse than it did on factory C6 shocks. Overall, it is more fun than a Corvette in all ways but the engine, getting to just wind it out everywhere with no consequence is :neat: I think overall I'd rather have a 'vette :doe: , it is a much more useful car and faster at the price of a bit of feel.

We've all been there.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:16 pm

We've all been there.
Mine would vocalize that every time we'd get into the vehicle. And kick it on her way out. Not one day goes by that she sees a gladiator and doesn't tell me "God that thing is fucking ugly, I hate that truck".

Women... :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:50 pm

We've all been there.
Mine would vocalize that every time we'd get into the vehicle. And kick it on her way out. Not one day goes by that she sees a gladiator and doesn't tell me "God that thing is fucking ugly, I hate that truck".

I still do not understand how a JLU is A-OK and a Gladiator is the antichrist.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:49 pm

My driveway would annoy TF outta her. :lolol:
max225

She don’t like JLUs … after driving one briefly and getting scared that it was wandering all over the road due to wind etc
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:11 pm

She don’t like JLUs … after driving one briefly and getting scared that it was wandering all over the road due to wind etc
Well, at least she likes white guys.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: the JLU looks better proportionately to me as well. That said, it's really just the base Gladiators that are ugly, they really don't look good on minivan wheels/tires.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:24 am

:iono: the JLU looks better proportionately to me as well. That said, it's really just the base Gladiators that are ugly, they really don't look good on minivan wheels/tires.
:dat: and I personally don’t mind em.
I was just pointing out :tits: irrational hate on random vehicles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:25 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:24 am

:dat: and I personally don’t mind em.
I was just pointing out :tits: irrational hate on random vehicles.
:notwrong:

For some reason mine hates Ford Crown Victorias more than all. Fortunately, I don't want one.