Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:53 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 am

If you don't want a roof box, a three row or minivan is it for 2 kids + :doge: life. With 3 kids + 2 small dogs the Atlas is loaded to the gills with crap stowed between the seats and up to the roof even for just a weekend trip to see the grandparents. Roof boxes on SUVs are a pain, though. I'm not super into climbing a step ladder just to load shit up on top of an SUV that's tall for no reason. I guess it's either that or I'm driving a minivan, though.
I find it interesting that the woman in this relationship is the one who is seppuku before minivan.
I do too, and it's quite :rage: inducing. Women typically don't care nearly as much as men do about cars, yet I cucked out, and it looks like our man Coogs will too. It's a shame.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 pm

I find it interesting that the woman in this relationship is the one who is seppuku before minivan.
I do too, and it's quite :rage: inducing. Women typically don't care nearly as much as men do about cars, yet I cucked out, and it looks like our man Coogs will too. It's a shame.
A lot of women hate minivans… mine included. I think it’s a car guy sig other thing
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 pm I do too, and it's quite :rage: inducing. Women typically don't care nearly as much as men do about cars, yet I cucked out, and it looks like our man Coogs will too. It's a shame.
A lot of women hate minivans… mine included. I think it’s a car guy sig other thing
Mine won't even drive an SUV and doesn't like sedans either. Small hatchback or :gtfo:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 pm
Mine is hard no to van lyfe. :sad:
She wants a station wagon actually.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:59 pm

I'll just be dead on the inside.
Fair enough. I am well past the age when a minivan would be a badge of shame, and taking that out of the equation I would bet anyone on this forum who got handed the keys to a new Honda Odyssey for a month would come away unimpressed at it's utility and overall competency as a driver's vehicle. They should really make a version with a blower and a hot suspension setup.

You can retain your dignity by keeping the interior tight.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:27 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:59 pm

I'll just be dead on the inside.
Fair enough. I am well past the age when a minivan would be a badge of shame, and taking that out of the equation I would bet anyone on this forum who got handed the keys to a new Honda Odyssey for a month would come away unimpressed at it's utility and overall competency as a driver's vehicle. They should really make a version with a blower and a hot suspension setup.

Not really. Minivan = death
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:27 pm

He's already slid the knife in a bit with trey kiddos. He's just trying to make the next 5 years manageable. I would happily tour the county in an Oddy Touring. Put a radar detector in that thing and you are patrolling the left lane @ 90 with a full load of wine, women and shotguns all easily accessible from three huge moving panels.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:34 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:30 pm

He's already slid the knife in a bit with trey kiddos. He's just trying to make the next 5 years manageable. I would happily tour the county in an Oddy Touring. Put a radar detector in that thing and you are patrolling the left lane @ 90 with a full load of wine, women and shotguns all easily accessible from three huge moving panels.
There are some 3 row mobiles that don’t immediately portray the same deathly message.

Obviously a van is practical but that’s like calling a Prius economical. We all know that. But they each come with their own stigmas.
troyguitar

We would probably buy a prius if buying a new car today. The plug-in version is about perfect for us.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

The only saving grace a minivan might have is if I can find one cheap enough to require no or very little cash outlay, also in good enough condition that it won't need a ton of maintenance right off the bat. That approach would mean I could likely find myself in something fun as early as next spring, like a GR86 or BRZ or similar. Then again, the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry, and there could be any number of reasons that ends up not happening, in which case I'd just be stuck with a minivan, that also sits outside rotting away 24/7, burning my ass in the summer and freezing it in the winter.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:The only saving grace a minivan might have is if I can find one cheap enough to require no or very little cash outlay, also in good enough condition that it won't need a ton of maintenance right off the bat. That approach would mean I could likely find myself in something fun as early as next spring, like a GR86 or BRZ or similar. Then again, the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry, and there could be any number of reasons that ends up not happening, in which case I'd just be stuck with a minivan, that also sits outside rotting away 24/7, burning my ass in the summer and freezing it in the winter.
:doge: GC w/ stow n go are cheap used. Pentagram 666 engine seems solid. :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:53 pm
coogles wrote:The only saving grace a minivan might have is if I can find one cheap enough to require no or very little cash outlay, also in good enough condition that it won't need a ton of maintenance right off the bat. That approach would mean I could likely find myself in something fun as early as next spring, like a GR86 or BRZ or similar. Then again, the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry, and there could be any number of reasons that ends up not happening, in which case I'd just be stuck with a minivan, that also sits outside rotting away 24/7, burning my ass in the summer and freezing it in the winter.
:doge: GC w/ stow n go are cheap used. Pentagram 666 engine seems solid. :iono:
I've driven one, they're not bad. Biggest appeal of the Odyssey, though, is their second row configuration. It's really easy to go three across which, with 3 young kids, at this point for us is mandatory.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:15 pm
max225 wrote:
Mine won't even drive an SUV and doesn't like sedans either. Small hatchback or :gtfo:
Mine is similar to the extant that she will not drive an SUV/CUV/Minivan OR hatchback. For her, it's midsize sedan or :gtfo: :mindblown:
Thus the H
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Wife saw a newer Clubman the other day and really liked it. I think she's getting into the idea of one, which is :exciting: for me. Just need to find one to drive to see if it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's our perfect car, even if it isn't the most engaging to drive. Still better than the CT.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I’d drive a minivan and I don’t even have kids.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 pm I’d drive a minivan and I don’t even have kids.
You’d take the seats out and haul motorbikes inside it. :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:19 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 pm I’d drive a minivan and I don’t even have kids.
:notbad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:19 pm
:notwrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:50 pm Wife saw a newer Clubman the other day and really liked it. I think she's getting into the idea of one, which is :exciting: for me. Just need to find one to drive to see if it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's our perfect car, even if it isn't the most engaging to drive. Still better than the CT.
Man your woman is mercurial about cars. I think she out:plac:s the :plac:man himself in terms of the winds of change always being at hurricane strength.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:50 pm Wife saw a newer Clubman the other day and really liked it. I think she's getting into the idea of one, which is :exciting: for me. Just need to find one to drive to see if it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's our perfect car, even if it isn't the most engaging to drive. Still better than the CT.
Man your woman is mercurial about cars. I think she out:plac:s the :plac:man himself in terms of the winds of change always being at hurricane strength.
Kind of. She still really wants a Subaru for some reason...a Crosstrek or Outback. I just have zero interest in those and have been trying to suggest alternatives. I know that's folly and will end in misery for me "YOU MADE ME GET THIS", but she's not working, doesn't NEED a car, so I feel like I should have a bit more input than normal if we're adding a 2nd vehicle we don't technically need.

And even to that end, one vehicle has been working out just fine for us. The biggest thing is the CT is just HUGE and gets old running into town for errands and whatnot. But I want something that can haul :pinshit: and tow at least 5k lbs for the boat, so I don't have a ton of options. A midsize truck might work as a one vehicle replacement, but I really want something with a long bed as I've found that to be crazy useful to toting kayaks, wood, camping gear, etc. Long bed trucks of any size are incredibly hard to come by.

My ideal stable would be another fullsizer with a short cab, big bed, and V8 cheap, no options...a tool and a second smaller nicer thing that would be great to run into town with and take on longer trips. The MINI Clubman S All4 is ideal to me for what I want out of that sort of vehicle.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I’d rock a minivan. :tits: mom visited with her siblings and had a Chrysler Pacifica rental and it was genuinely :notbad:

Unless you want a specific performance/function/form aspect from a car, a minivan is truly the best bang for buck in terms of utilitarian space and purpose.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

My wife is a hard NO on the van life. When we were looking to replace the Rav, the dealer we bought the Traverse from had a used Pacifica on the lot. Fully loaded, leather, black, sun roof, DVD player for the back seats, and only 22k miles for like $24k OTD. She humored me in looking at it, but looked at me and said: "You make us get this, and I'll be driving the truck and you can drive this then." and walked away with our salesman to go get in the Traverse.

She likes the doors and practicality of them, HATES literally everything else about them, including the stigma that comes with them.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:52 pm My wife is a hard NO on the van life. When we were looking to replace the Rav, the dealer we bought the Traverse from had a used Pacifica on the lot. Fully loaded, leather, black, sun roof, DVD player for the back seats, and only 22k miles for like $24k OTD. She humored me in looking at it, but looked at me and said: "You make us get this, and I'll be driving the truck and you can drive this then." and walked away with our salesman to go get in the Traverse.

She likes the doors and practicality of them, HATES literally everything else about them, including the stigma that comes with them.
:lolol:

"And then she whipped out a :dedong: that was bigger than mine!"

Yeah, I love the functionality of a minivan, but fuuuuuuck are they lame. Sorry, not sorry.
I knew what conversation was going to happen real quick if I pushed it: "I hate driving the truck and refuse to drive that van, lets trade the truck in while it's still got a lot of value and get me an SUV like I wanted."

So, avoiding a stupid fight and making sure she has something that she's more than happy with driving on a daily was more important to me. Next is a larger truck, especially since we have a 2nd kiddo on the way now and the MS cab, even in crew form, is gonna get real tight real quick.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I too, would rock a minivan. My commute offers very little in the way of fun driving, and I love the utility. Thankfully we don't need it because my wife hates them enough to likely make me drive it.

I'm over 40, and have ZF to give about stigma anymore.

MVs have a lot of tech and moving parts, I'd get as reliable of a product as I could afford, Sienna AWD, add drop down TV and portable wifi, plus wipe wipeable seats in a light interior. :jimp:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

There are two Odysseys here locally I'm hoping to check out today or tomorrow. Both are 14-17 models, so they get the updated 6 speed trans and the crash structures designed to pass the narrow offset test, but none of the new tech bullshit found in the 18+ models. Both are sub-80k so I'll have to do the timing belt around 100k, but at least I will know it's been done. I'll do the VCM eliminator to keep it from munching spark plugs every few thousand miles at higher miles and drive off into the suburban-hell dad lyfe sunset.