Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm
My game plan is to have it be brought up if/when it pops again and have them cover it under warranty as an inconvenience/goodwill considering they did not mention it to me the first time.

Carbon cleaning isn’t usually a warrantied item.
:bruh: this is a VW economy car. You are making it seem like a. they owe you something and b. the car needs all kinds of special treatment. Just drive and enjoy and don't worry about trying to beat up the :dillerman: for free services, loaner cars, etc.

I have never been offered a loaner car in my life, we aren't talking about Porsches here.
I've always gotten a loaner from my :dillerman: :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Apex wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:02 pm

:bruh: this is a VW economy car. You are making it seem like a. they owe you something and b. the car needs all kinds of special treatment. Just drive and enjoy and don't worry about trying to beat up the :dillerman: for free services, loaner cars, etc.

I have never been offered a loaner car in my life, we aren't talking about Porsches here.
Well, when you don’t go to a dealer they typically don’t provide loaners… :hue:
:lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:23 pm

I always did with my VW's, even in SoCal.

These ease was somewhat :dillerman: dependent. But the combined Audi/VW :dillerman: in Costa Mesa would give me a loaner every time zero questions asked. Even oil changes, though sometimes it was faster to just wait than deal with the loaner paperwork.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:23 pm

These ease was somewhat :dillerman: dependent. But the combined Audi/VW :dillerman: in Costa Mesa would give me a loaner every time zero questions asked. Even oil changes, though sometimes it was faster to just wait than deal with the loaner paperwork.
I do this sometimes, too, for a simple earl change. Between dealing with the paperwork, driving home and driving back to the diller, it's almost the same amount of time as just waiting at the diller. I'll just bring a laptop, log into their free wifi for an hour, get a bit of work (or DFDing) done, then pick up the car.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm

I do this sometimes, too, for a simple earl change. Between dealing with the paperwork, driving home and driving back to the diller, it's almost the same amount of time as just waiting at the diller. I'll just bring a laptop, log into their free wifi for an hour, get a bit of work (or DFDing) done, then pick up the car.
:dat:

It's funny that you and I had similar excellent experiences in completely different areas of the country, while other areas are :poop: It really comes down to the individual :dillerman: sadly, which is one of the biggest challenges for the industry IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:02 pm

It's funny that you and I had similar excellent experiences in completely different areas of the country, while other areas are :poop: It really comes down to the individual :dillerman: sadly, which is one of the biggest challenges for the industry IMO.
Indeed. Don't know if it makes a difference, but my :dillerman: is strictly VW and not paired with any other brand, and they're a small franchise at just 2 stores. Maybe it makes them actually try to be better since they don't have another make to fall back on? :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 pm

Indeed. Don't know if it makes a difference, but my :dillerman: is strictly VW and not paired with any other brand, and they're a small franchise at just 2 stores. Maybe it makes them actually try to be better since they don't have another make to fall back on? :iono:
I feel like smaller companies just try harder in general.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 pm

I feel like smaller companies just try harder in general.
:notwrong: for sure.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

So, update time!

Car is all fixed up to this point. Injector was replaced, they patched the tire, and I checked the write up they gave me, apparently VTA (VW corporate engineer folks) made them carbon clean as part of the diagnostic! So, I got a free carbon cleaning out of this as well. :fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:01 pm So, update time!

Car is all fixed up to this point. Injector was replaced, they patched the tire, and I checked the write up they gave me, apparently VTA (VW corporate engineer folks) made them carbon clean as part of the diagnostic! So, I got a free carbon cleaning out of this as well. :fuckyeah:
5/7 :fuckyeah:
Glad it worked out so well for you. :like:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm

:bruh:

They have loaners. They were just all out. This shit matters to me because I have a kid and I actually still go into the office. It affects my ability to be efficient. And the car is UNDER WARRANTY, which carries a specific level of expectation in service. BTW, extended warranty repairs also offer rental car reimbursements. I was airing my grievance with the fact that they couldn’t do that until they had a formal diagnosis.

I’m not trying to get a free service. I’m saying that I wouldn’t want to pay $400 for carbon cleaning at 54k miles if the car doesn’t need it. They had the car for 5 days (today). They were on the phone with VW technical engineers to diagnose EVERYTHING that can cause a misfire on the car. If they didn’t check carbon build up, how is that my fault?

I only said it if they try to play that carbon buildup card if I bring the car in should it have the same issue.

Between work, home, family, and everything else, this is the last thing I need to keep worrying about. So maybe try to understand where I’m coming from? Your reaction seems infantile.
Your reaction is unrealistic.

If it’s a small dealer their loaner pool is also small. Small dealers also typically prioritize customers that purchased a car from their store (and something we also do at my store). If a dealer has no vehicles, find another dealer or call enterprise.

In mass market brands, you do not automatically get a loaner. A dealer may offer it but it’s on their own dollar. You are welcome to rent a vehicle, which may be covered depending on the warranty repair. From experience, I can tell you that Toyota, VW, Ford and Subaru do not pay for alternate transportation without an approved warranty claim and a vehicle down for a safety related repair or a mechanical repair over 6-8 billable warranty hours. Toyota cover 1 day of rental under warranty for each 8 hour billable job. FWIW, a transmission pays about 6.5 hours. Yes, I absolutely charged customers for rentals when they had warranty repairs both as a writer and service manager.

Lexus, Porsche and Audi will reimburse dealers for a loaner for any of their customers and a potential warranty claim. Porsche will even reimburse a dealership for CUSTOMER PAY service loaners, pickup, delivery, and cleaning/sanitation of their vehicle... even for something as simple as a state inspection or tire repair.

You may have a specific level of expectation, but you are expecting way more than the level of service the manufacturer provides. You’re not the only person with a kid and responsibilities to worry about, you’re entitled to what’s in your warranty handbook, and it’s pretty clearly explained in that book. If you want to be treated this way, buy a luxury brand next time around (that apparently isn’t BMW), pay the market rate for luxury brand service and the amenities that come with that. And the $200/hr labor rate. There’s a reason shit is expensive.

To your point about extended warranties covering rental cars:
There’s no such thing as an extended warranty. They’re “Vehicle Service Plans” (VSPs) or “service agreements” or similar. They’re insurance products sold by a third party provider in the name of the manufacturer or repair provider. They’re not processed by the manufacturer but by the bank/insurance company backing the contract. Most of these are backed by Fidelity, Safeguard, or a division of the manufacturers captive finance arm. The premium you paid for covers rental reimbursement typically to a maximum of five days for any covered repair claim, because the manufacturer isn’t paying for it.
There are a completely different set of rules and procedures for processing these claims and that’s why you typically get a different “warranty” book with them. Take a look at it... you’ll find the word “warranty” very hard to find.
You paid a premium for that VSP. You get premium benefits for spending more money.

Beating them up about it after demanding other courtesy accommodations will get you shut down quickly and you will absolutely be flagged as “that guy” in the system. And you won’t be satisfied.

With respect: Pick your battles.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Rudy this also came out a bit more bitter towards you than I meant for it to be. I didn’t mean for it to be so :wap: , sorry.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 pm Rudy this also came out a bit more bitter towards you than I meant for it to be. I didn’t mean for it to be so :wap: , sorry.
None taken. I think it was way overblown. I realistically followed up with the status of whether a loaner/rental was available every day, but I did not harass them about it. My main concern with calling them toward the end of every day was to see if they had any updates, so I’d know whether I head there or home since we had one car.

I was more venting my frustrations, it definitely sucks because I’ve had different experiences at different VW dealers across the country.

And yes, I meant the warranty covers the reimbursement. Never the manufacturer. But I am still under factory warranty. I was more upset that it took them literally 5 days to “diagnose” which put me in the seat for not qualifying for a reimbursement until basically the day it was… done?

But yeah. All is well. They replaced the injector, they cleaned the carbon, let’s see if the CEL pops again :doomed:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

fledonfoot wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 pm Rudy this also came out a bit more bitter towards you than I meant for it to be. I didn’t mean for it to be so :wap: , sorry.
:wat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:00 pm
Sometimes :wap: = crotchety old person.

Sometimes :wap: = you.

In this context, I think he meant the former.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 pm
None taken. I think it was way overblown. I realistically followed up with the status of whether a loaner/rental was available every day, but I did not harass them about it. My main concern with calling them toward the end of every day was to see if they had any updates, so I’d know whether I head there or home since we had one car.

I was more venting my frustrations, it definitely sucks because I’ve had different experiences at different VW dealers across the country.

And yes, I meant the warranty covers the reimbursement. Never the manufacturer. But I am still under factory warranty. I was more upset that it took them literally 5 days to “diagnose” which put me in the seat for not qualifying for a reimbursement until basically the day it was… done?

But yeah. All is well. They replaced the injector, they cleaned the carbon, let’s see if the CEL pops again :doomed:
:word: I think sometimes text/email/written Internet word just gets misinterpreted/comes out differently than what is meant. No shame in asking for something if you are cool about being told no as a possible outcome. No shame in venting either.

Really glad everything worked out and the bonus of not having to pay for a carbon cleaning for 5+ more years is :nice: !
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

D Griff wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:43 am

And sometimes me wiping your :wap: ass is just me wiping your :wap: ass......... :hubba:
wap

D Griff wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:43 am

Hope so.

Although, sometimes :wap: = :wap: ;)
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Anyone want to guess what Carvana will value the taco @?

Shift was at 43k which wasn't great to be honest.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:15 pm Anyone want to guess what Carvana will value the taco @?

$46K?

They offered me $11,350 for the :poorvette: this AM, which I think I'm going to take.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:18 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:15 pm Anyone want to guess what Carvana will value the taco @?

$46K?

They offered me $11,350 for the :poorvette: this AM, which I think I'm going to take.
Yea I'd take that 11k and run.

:notsure: yet on their offer once again they don't come back immediately as I have "stumped our system" whatever the hell that means.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:18 pm

$46K?

That’s strong money for your :poorvette:
I’d take it and run.

Slap your race seats in an STi and enjoy?
max225

https://www.carmax.com/car/20303322

53k for a 2019 with more miles
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm https://www.carmax.com/car/20303322

53k for a 2019 with more miles