Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:38 pm Saw a Taycan in the wild today :doe: , it was :nice:

The electric stuff in my price range? :gag:
I drove a model 3 and stepped the ass end out going through a round-about. I’d totally own one.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:54 pm

I find it nothing but stressful to be in a giant unresponsive barge that flops my ass to and fro when I turn the wheel and I have no need to lord myself over everyone else on the road. Parking is a huge pain too.
As long as you’re under 80” and 240” it’s perfectly fine. Turning the wheel ? Life isn’t a race track most roads are straight af, you encounter what ? .2 Gs tops by adhering to speed limits? Not saying it’s FUN, but we share the road with garbage trucks, vehicles with trailers semis, rvs etc.

I think you’d be surprised how relaxing it is to drive a barge down the street vs something anus shattering that splits a wheel by hitting an ant. I’d seriously like to understand what is stressful about driving a large comfortable vehicle. (In most environments outside of NYC and SF)
I drove a V6 Charger for 8 days when my Mk6 was totaled and it was...ok I guess? Was not a fan :doe:
Re the bolded, I'd only answer parking the bitch. I never parked it in my garage and pulling or backing into a spot at work took more concentration than an egg.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:27 pm

As long as you’re under 80” and 240” it’s perfectly fine. Turning the wheel ? Life isn’t a race track most roads are straight af, you encounter what ? .2 Gs tops by adhering to speed limits? Not saying it’s FUN, but we share the road with garbage trucks, vehicles with trailers semis, rvs etc.

I think you’d be surprised how relaxing it is to drive a barge down the street vs something anus shattering that splits a wheel by hitting an ant. I’d seriously like to understand what is stressful about driving a large comfortable vehicle. (In most environments outside of NYC and SF)
I drove a V6 Charger for 8 days when my Mk6 was totaled and it was...ok I guess? Was not a fan :doe:
Re the bolded, I'd only answer parking the bitch. I never parked it in my garage and pulling or backing into a spot at work took more concentration than an egg.
As clearly indicated no where did I state it was fun. I specifically stated that it was relaxing. yes parking my 212" taco in my garage requires more concentration than my 152" mini, however driving the taco is FAR more relaxing. The argument is not whether a Charger is worse of a car than a Golf, but :mahtroy: clearly stated that he encounters more STRESS driving bigger vehicles without body hugging seats and big anti sway bars that prevent roll etc. Trying to understand :butwhy: in normal operating conditions.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I find it nothing but stressful to be in a giant unresponsive barge that flops my ass to and fro when I turn the wheel and I have no need to lord myself over everyone else on the road. Parking is a huge pain too.

It's not fine for me. My first car was a Buick. My last car was a Lincoln. I've spent a lot of time driving various Suburbans, full-size vans, RV's, and a minivan or two. I find it absolutely nerve-wracking to drive big shit. The margins for error are so much smaller and you have no feedback or responsiveness to help you act within those margins.

Driving around just in our neighborhood is already annoying in a small car when you've got a :truk: coming the other way and more :truk: :truk: :truk: parked along both sides of the roads which were built 150 years ago for horses.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:45 pm

It's not fine for me. My first car was a Buick. My last car was a Lincoln. I've spent a lot of time driving various Suburbans, full-size vans, RV's, and a minivan or two. I find it absolutely nerve-wracking to drive big shit. The margins for error are so much smaller and you have no feedback or responsiveness to help you act within those margins.

Driving around just in our neighborhood is already annoying in a small car when you've got a :truk: coming the other way and more :truk: :truk: :truk: parked along both sides of the roads which were built 150 years ago for horses.
That last argument certainly applies to the first cities in the union but the vast majority of this country was built with giant cars in mind. We’re not in communist Europe after all.

I suppose my stress of limited visibility and suspension travel, coupled with being surrounded by 5000lb behemoths on the daily far outweighs the parking troubles
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:iono:

I like both when possible. In an ideal scenario I’d rock a Raptor/TRX and a GT3 in the stable. Want to enjoy Baja blasting over traffic? Raptor/TRX. Want to shatter your anus in the 405? GT3
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:30 pm
As clearly indicated no where did I state it was fun. I specifically stated that it was relaxing. yes parking my 212" taco in my garage requires more concentration than my 152" mini, however driving the taco is FAR more relaxing. The argument is not whether a Charger is worse of a car than a Golf, but :mahtroy: clearly stated that he encounters more STRESS driving bigger vehicles without body hugging seats and big anti sway bars that prevent roll etc. Trying to understand :butwhy: in normal operating conditions.
As :mahtroy: said above, no feedback, wallowy in curves, less margin for error, corners way out in the distance make placing the car where you want it more challenging.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:12 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:30 pm
As :mahtroy: said above, no feedback, wallowy in curves, less margin for error, corners way out in the distance make placing the car where you want it more challenging.
That’s only if you try to drive a Charger like a GTI
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am with :mahtroy: here. I find driving the :jeep: is significantly more stressful than the :poorvette: and I am therefor less comfy, despite it riding way better and being far more couch like.

I have almost 100K logged in a Bang Bus, I can do it better than many people, but it still sucks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I found my BMW far too luxo to really enjoy it that much, and it had no features and every "sport" option ticked... Meh, give me an anus shatterer all day every day.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:38 pm Saw a Taycan in the wild today :doe: , it was :nice:

The electric stuff in my price range? :gag:
I drove a model 3 and stepped the ass end out going through a round-about. I’d totally own one.
They are :notbad: but also not in my price range :lolol:

The Model S P90D I've driven was not really my thing but it was certainly :impressive: and fun in its own way.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The ID.3, C3 Cactus, and Cutlass Supreme are all awesome looking. DFD is blind
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:51 pm :iono:

I like both when possible. In an ideal scenario I’d rock a Raptor/TRX and a GT3 in the stable. Want to enjoy Baja blasting over traffic? Raptor/TRX. Want to shatter your anus in the 405? GT3
Lexus LS460 + MR2
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:dat: I have started to grown for crossovers sadly, but absolutely do hate CVT's doe regardless. Also we just rented the new rav4, that doesn't even have a cvt and it actually drives :notbad: It really depends on what kind you drive though that doesn't provide a teeny bit feedback where you're essentially forced to baby it as you turn.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:19 pm The ID.3, C3 Cactus, and Cutlass Supreme are all awesome looking. DFD is blind
:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:14 pm I am with :mahtroy: here. I find driving the :jeep: is significantly more stressful than the :poorvette: and I am therefor less comfy, despite it riding way better and being far more couch like.

I have almost 100K logged in a Bang Bus, I can do it better than many people, but it still sucks.
As someone who drove a few SUV's in my household from time to time, I found the wrangler to be most stressful on the highway, especially in Mexico where drivers does not give a flying fuck about cutting you off and guns their VW Gol or the like the second they see your turn signal into their lane. The expedition EL (aka Ford's Suburban), I feel fine driving it as long as I won't drive like an asshat nor pretend it's a GTI, parking is a different story :doe: thank god for reverse camera. Explorer Sport, I can drive that thing just like I would in the GTI without a problem (dat taurus chassis), the front brakes are actually quite large for an SUV (I brought it to the veedub meet a couple of times including with :narc: and a few people asked if it has aftermarket brakes), so my driving confidence is pretty much on par as my GTI. It has sensors for front and rear, and I have parked in tight parking spaces in downtown DC. My friends Tiguan in Turkey has that same confidence inspiration as my GTI does (as long as I drive solo lol), since they do both drive similarly other than power and actually drove it somewhat spiritedly on twisties (which I posted on dfd snap)
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

As someone who’s probably driven the largest things here, Don’t really get the oMG iTs StRessFul thing. Look ahead, watch the mirrors. Not all that different than driving anything really. Sure, driving a semi with a 53’ trailer is one thing, but anything that has the rear wheels on the same plane as the front is pretty :notbad:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap

razr390 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:27 pm
wap wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:12 pm
I've only ever owned GTI's, a Scirocco, and a hot rodded Beetle.
It's the only way I know how to drive. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:19 pm The ID.3, C3 Cactus, and Cutlass Supreme are all awesome looking. DFD is blind
I like the Cactus 🌵. I also like some CutlASS. That ID.3 is a no from me, dawg.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:08 pm
razr390 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:27 pm

I've only ever owned GTI's, a Scirocco, and a hot rodded Beetle.
It's the only way I know how to drive. :iono:
:notbad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:37 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:16 pm

You can always have a new Tesla roadster for 250k

Rivian is starting to make decent looking stuff too...
Lucid apparently finished their fucktory

Electric cars are just getting started. First gasoline cars were carriages with a motor ... it will evolve over time.
I'm not 100% opted in yet...

Do we have enough raw materials for batteries to replace the huge volume of ICE vehicles?

Will those materials still be affordable if demand goes up 20X?

Is electric really better for the planet? (this really depends on where you live)

I have zero interest in electric so far, we shall see what comes in the future, but I will likely be sticking with old shit as long as I can as I just like it better.
electrics are definitely not making it any better other than probably to decrease co2 emissions. I know it costs the environment more to make prius's than any other gasoline/diesel vehicles. There are obviously a better alternative from a consumer perspective and convenience, like oil change and gas. But for roadtrips on the other hand, not so much convenient despite tesla has atleast 250 electric stations.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That's something I'd agree on, but I also live in an area where parking spaces are narrower than most of the country. It's a matter of getting used to.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The brits get a new R to review. Aside from looks (inside and out), it is a pretty nice car for :waxer: budgets.

Article:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vo ... hW6xfJzB6E
max225

I like it !
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:35 pm

I like it !
They added a lot of very innovative features and Easter eggs. I like it too, pretty :neat: . Serious homerun from Ford!